• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Power Really Matter To You?

nani17

are in a big trouble
Not only on this forum but many others I see the same topics about one PS5 being more powerful than then the Xbox or the other way around. Like the title says does it really matter to you? Will such a thing effect your decision on which one you buy?

To me it's just bragging rights and it's kind of a bit stupid if you ask me. Honestly one is going to be only a small percentage more powerful than the other and I don't really care as long as the games are good.

nkarafo

Power does matter a lot to me. That's the main point of getting a new system IMO. The reason you upgrade is because the new one is more powerful, that's the one and only difference between it and your old system. Power also makes stuff possible, otherwise we would still try to push the NES or something.

Also, it's the reason i'm investing on PCs instead of consoles lately. Because i also like the freedom to use that power the way i want and distribute more of it in aspects i find more important like frame rate. Lastly, i am an emulation power user and i need as much processing power as i can possibly get.

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
Power does matter a lot to me. That's the main point of getting a new system IMO. The reason you upgrade is because the new one is more powerful, that's the one and only difference between it and your old system. Otherwise we would still try to push the NES or something.

Also, it's the reason i'm investing on PCs instead of consoles lately. Because i also like the freedom to use that power the way i want and distribute more of it in aspects i find more important like frame rate. Lastly, i am an emulation power user and i need as much processing power i can possibly get.

No I understand the upgrading from one gen to another. I'm talking about let's say you're going to buy the PS5 and you find out the Xbox is 5% more powerful are you just going to go buy the Xbox for that factor alone.

Last edited:

nkarafo

No I understand the upgrading from one gen to another. I'm talking about let's say you're going to buy the PS5 and you find out the Xbox is 5% more powerful are you just going to go buy the Xbox for that factor alone.
Dunno, probably. It depends on the difference in power and quality of exclusives assuming i had to get one of the two.

The last console i ever bought was the 360 and the reason i picked it was because i knew most ports were better for it. Was it because it was more powerful? Dunno but i don't like the idea of playing lesser versions of games. I had my fair share of that as a kid, not having enough money to buy the systems i really wanted. As an adult i can get the system that will give me the best experience and that's what i'll do.

Exclusives do make things more complicated though. However there weren't enough this gen to make me consider buying a console at all, let alone think about which one of the two.

In the end it's the weaker Nintendo systems that have the best exclusives for me but these get emulated pretty fast so a powerful PC even gets me some access. I played BotW on a powerful PC and it was an even better experience than the WiiU/Switch. :p

Last edited:

SAMZ

Nope.

It's a new console so it will be more powerful than my current. I am invested in particular franchises and I have built up online friends. That has made my decision, not power.

quickwhips

Last gen i bought ps4 first because it was more powerful even though i liked my 360 alot. I realized i wasnt a big fan of ps4 games even though i did like tlou multiplayer and until dawn i didnt buy another game until spider man. I spent most of my time playing destiny and most of my friends were on xbox one. So when gears 4 came out i bought an xbox one and realized graphics isn’t everything. Its more important to be playing with friends and games that you like vs resolution. So either way ill be going xbox series x next gen.

Fuz

Banned
cJlBUVL.gif

IT'S ALL THAT MATTERS

Bkdk

Yes. While I’m playing a lot of old classics in PC, Power is still crucial because a real talented studios will be able to utilize that to full potential and really bring enhancement to all fronts: AI, gameplay, physics, controls and graphics.

Problem is there is a lack in talents not power in the gaming industry right now. Thus those power doesn’t mean too much other than graphics improvements.

Not to mention when games like last of us, death stranding are getting GOTY awards, those power will only go towards graphics and animation and nothing else.

DESTROYA

To a point yes, all consoles should be at least 1080p 60 FPS minimum for all games across the board for next gen.

Handel

In terms of buying new consoles, negligible differences are whatever. Exclusives and other features are more important to me. From a general standpoint, "power" can be important in allowing new kinds of games to be made that weren't possible/feasible before, but I far from need games to be cutting edge to enjoy them. The most emotional moment I've ever experienced in gaming came from a title made in RPGMaker.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Not really, because its largely irrelevant to the creative process. If power equalled creativity PC games would be literally generations ahead. but they really aren't.

People need to get a better grip on the difference between building to spec, and running on a massively over-specced target.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Talent matters more. Wait until we start seeing games built from the ground up on next generation consoles, people won't care about flops

Fbh

Yes and no, it's a combination of everything: Power, price, games, etc.

If 2 consoles are around the same price but one is considerably stronger then yeah I care and it might influence my decision. But if one console is, say, $399 and the other is $599 then I won't just blindly buy the more expensive and powerful one because price, games and features are obviously factors too.

As for more neglectable power differences, I don't really care. I'd rather have a system with better games and features than one that has sharper looking textures on a pineapple in the corner of the screen you'll only notice in a 30X zoomed in picture on digital foundry

FeldMonster

Power would be important to my experience, but it would not affect my selection of an Xbox.

There is almost nothing that Sony could do to convince me to ever buy a Playstation.

Nor is there any power level that would get me to touch a PC with a ten foot pole.

Last edited:

Aion002

Nope.

I started playing video games on the Atari.

If I cared about pretty textures I would never care about video games. I will buy the new consoles/upgrade my pc because it will give me access to new games, not because the games will be prettier or bigger...

The most important things on video games for me are: is it fun? It has a good story? Is it fun with friends?

I will never ask if it runs at 4k or if is 120fps.

Humdinger

Short answer, no, I would never choose a console based on a 5% power difference. That's trivial.

That's especially trivial when artistic design talent or programming skill can over-ride those differences. Although the X had the clear power advantage (some said 40%, some said 100%), the best-looking games were Sony first-party, on the Pro, a considerably weaker machine. So it's not all about raw power, but artistic design and programming ability. Those talents can compensate or overcome large power differentials, to say nothing of a minor 5% difference.

I just want games to be fun and a bit unique. Or at the very least be a shining example of the genre. I guess that’s why the indie scene is really flourishing these days. You get stuff that you wouldn’t normally see otherwise. Still having fun with my PSP Go 😄

Psykodad

Banned
Not really.
It's fun for the console wars, but at the end of the day all I want is for a new gen to be better than the previous one.

Even if Nintendo were to be the most powerful console, I'd stick with Playstation because I prefer their published games over any other (in general).

It used to so I always maintained a high end PC. I’m not that fussed nowadays and a console is good enough for my gaming habits today.

Mainly I want great and interesting core gameplay mechanics, those have been severely lacking in recent years in my opinion. AAA devs need to start pushing new ideas again, not just the same tired sequels. Or ‘new IP’s’ which end up being the same as other games.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Yes, very much. I will buy both. The more powerful one decides where I will do most of my gaming. The less powerful one I will just use for exclusives on that platform.

Ivellios

It depends.

I want next gen because of advance in graphics and perfomance.

But if one console ends up with sligthly better specs, i dont mind, what really matters to me are games.

Derktron

Banned
No, because if it did matter to me, I would’ve been a full time gamer on PC. I do have a capable PC but I just don’t care enough for it. It’s funny how now all of a sudden we’re going back to 2013 where from both sides especially the PlayStation side power means everything but crickets were chirping when the Xbox One X was revealed and the power narrative from both sides of the park died out. Let’s see how it goes for 2020. It’s going to be 2013 2.0.

Leonidas

Power obviously matters, otherwise we wouldn't get vast improvements in console power every gen.

No one cares about 5% extra performance. That's basically nothing. It matters when the difference is noticeable like say 20% or more or if you can do things on one hardware that you can't on another like say RTX on PC. Control on PC for example was a next-gen gaming experience for me with RTX on, I would have thought less of that game if I played it on hardware that couldn't do Ray Tracing...

Trimesh

Banned
I guess I have to say no. I've got a fairly decent spec PC, a PS4 pro, an Xbox One X and a Switch. I spend more gaming time on the Switch than anything else.

I also have to admit I felt pretty disappointed by the previous gen - yes, they clearly had better graphics than the PS3/360 generation, but that didn't seem to result in any sort of really improved gaming experience. I feel the same way about raytracing - yes, it looks nicer, but it's at a level that's so far down the path of diminishing returns that it hardly matters.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
On PC I strive for as much power I can afford, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy playing games on my Switch. Sometimes power is needed, sometimes it's not.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Power would be important to my experience, but it would not affect my selection of an Xbox.

There is almost nothing that Sony could do to convince me to ever buy a Playstation.

Nor is there any power level that would get me to touch a PC with a ten foot pole.

Same for me. Power is very important to me and if the XsX is as powerful as the current rumors suggest 12 TF, SSD etc I'm in day 1 as longs as it's $700 or less, but if it turns out to be considerably less powerful 8-10 flops, I'll wait til a price drop or mid-gen refresh. That would be too close to my 1X to bother with at launch.

I have NO interest in Lockhart at any price.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Power matters to everybody. Most focus on the result, not the raw numbers though. Quote some synthetic benchmarks and they'll fall asleep. Have their favorite game periodically dip into single-digit FPS territory and they'll care quite a bit.

ManaByte

I care more about BC and my library moving forward with me than power. Power doesn't last. It's basically powerful for six months to a year, and then better hardware eclipses it. Your games should last forever.

Power is a sugar rush. It's fun and lasts for a short time, but then you have to come down to reality.

pr0cs

If I didn't care about power I'd just by Nintendo stuff.
Thankfully power is the key reason I upgrade.
This upcoming console Gen may be a little different though, if both HD twins are effectively the same then the first of them I buy will likely depend on differentiators in their service/features instead

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Power may not matter to Nintendo but when you're getting exposed every generation for power, power could help you out to get on the same level as SONY or Microsoft. Switch is as closer to a powerful console Nintendo has ever had. #GamingTweets

Vasto

I am mostly interested in Frame Rate with these new consoles so power does matter for me. I am fine with every game being checkerboard 4K or dynamic 4K but I want most games to be 60FPS.

Sybb

Banned
I stopped caring about power when I bought Wii U. Up until then I did care, nowadays I don't even read articles about new chips and processors. Games are the only thing that matters to me, because you get used to new graphics really quick. Games are what keeps you playing.

Top Bottom