• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does the PS3 browser get crappier with every firmware update? Plus a Sony rant.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Ya I do agree it sucks Sony is playing follow the MS leader in regards ta avatars/wallpaper/themes and now timed exclusive demos for + peoples. I guess it makes them money but it no longer sets them apart from other money grubbing corporate machines! In general it just makes me feel worse about the service and nostalgic for old psn days lol.

Oh an didn't they updated the PS3 browser last year? Something about improving its flash functions or whatever. Its not like they aren't trying they're just slow about it. They really oughta do something about the system crashing it does though. That must turn away alot of people.

shidoshi said:
You mocked somebody for caring about unique avatars on the PS3, going so far as to say he wasn't mentally sane due to his caring about such, or asking if such things made him "feel like somebody."

The dumb thing is that until they let people add there own avatars (ha) no avatar is unique. Someone out there'll have the same as you be it free or paid. Caring about avatars on PS3 is just so pointless!

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I use the PS3 browser often, and I think it works fine. Especially when using stuff like Youtube. I think it's a shame gaming sites don't make their sites compatible with the PS3, if youtube can do it they can do it.

That's not to say I don't think the Browser could use improvement to make it more compatible, but it works well for me. I would imagine there being money issues with some stuff, and not dedicating resources to optimizing it (which they should).

And seriously, Sony playing "follow the MS leader"? That's a joke to me. PSN is different from XBL in lots of different ways and I personally prefer PSN over XBL in so many ways.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Thunderbear said:
I use the PS3 browser often, and I think it works fine. Especially when using stuff like Youtube. I think it's a shame gaming sites don't make their sites compatible with the PS3, if youtube can do it they can do it.

Agreed! I remember back in the day some websites made themselves Dreamcast browser compatible! On a system with the browser day one built in not requiring a disc would at least try an work with it!

And seriously, Sony playing "follow the MS leader"? That's a joke to me. PSN is different from XBL in lots of different ways and I personally prefer PSN over XBL in so many ways.

In the areas I mentioned they are following MS's lead or do ya think it was Sonys plan to give away free wallpaper/themes for 2 years to get people hooked then start charging them? Or 3 years for avatars? Or 3 1/2 for demos? Why weren't they charging for this stuff from the getgo? Its not like it woulda been hard to attach a price to that stuff since it all comes from the store anyways.

Why For?

Banned
Ninja-Matic said:
Also - Taking your own pic for your avatar will unleash a plethora of penises, middle fingers, nekkidness, etc upon the avatars. There's a reason why you're not allowed to upload your own. While I'd like a feature to upload my own jpg or png as an avatar - there are legal ramifications for doing so.

I call bullshit on that. You're making a huge assumption.

I've had a 360 online since launch and am yet to see a single dirty avatar on my friends list.

That's how MS avoided that problem. When you DO create your own avatar pic, only your friends list can see it. The geenral public will still onyl see the MS sanctioned ones.

Problem solved.

WebTV.

Sloth_shades.gif

Brofist

anger X said:
I did not we shouldn't use avatar. I have an avatar on PSN too and yet I don't care for avatars. Would never buy one and would never care there are new free ones or not. For me the caring stops after "having an avatar" and sometimes it takes me week to replace it when my photobucket account goes over its alloted bandwith. This is showing yet again how I care for avatars. If you can see the different between the careless me and this guy about avatar now... I will give you a "golf clap".

Out of all the trivial shit that's argued about on GAF on a daily basis, and there is a whole lot of it, you picked this to get this angry over. Interesting.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Razorskin said:
Hey! Don't bring playstation + into this, it gave us Wipeout HD.
And of course this:

So much hate for people suddenly taking interest in Wipeout HD because they got a chance to rent it instead of just buying the goddamn thing + Fury for the price of Wipeout HD normally is ($20) when it was on sale three-four weeks ago. SMH.

Luigiv

All I know is that the PS3 browser somehow manages to be even worse then the Wii browser, despite the huge resolution advantage. -_-

yeah, i wish Sony cared about the browser.

first Gametrailers videos and posting in the forums stopped working, then Youtube went all kinds of broken, and now Neogaf keeps logging me out and sometimes doesnt work at all. frustrating as hell.

browser used to be awesome but now it's shit. which is sad cos i actually prefer getting my internet fix on a fast-booting console and big tv..

ReBurn

Gold Member
I've not been able to use a console browser for more than a few minutes at most. It's a nice idea and handy to have around, but overall the experience is lacking compared to my laptop. Plus I don't keep my controllers and junk handy, so I'd have to get off of my lazy butt to go over there and get them to get started. Laptop on the table FTW!

Ranger X

kpop100 said:
Out of all the trivial shit that's argued about on GAF on a daily basis, and there is a whole lot of it, you picked this to get this angry over. Interesting.

Well, it's not like I click on all threads. I know people love complaining. We even like to complain about people complaining it seems! :lol
Last thread like this one that I remember was the guy complaining about Greatest Hits box arts. Seriously, those type of complaining about very small things aren't happening all the time or I am not noticing them as much as you do.

Agent X

For me, the PS3 browser actually got better in recent months...but that's mainly due to me finally getting an HDTV in April. The PS3 browser on SDTV is a pain to use with all the scrolling and zooming. That's the main problem I have with the Wii browser, actually.

Speaking of the Wii browser (which is a version of Opera), it is better at rendering many pages than the PS3 browser; this is especially noticeable on SDTV. On HDTV now, I prefer using the PS3 browser. Both of them have some strange quirks and limitations, some of which they could surely overcome if they bothered to update them (neither one had a substantial update in at least a year).

BTW, not only does NeoGAF work on the PS3 browser, but in fact it works very well. About two weeks ago, my PC monitor bit the dust, and for a period of three days I was browsing NeoGAF and a few other sites using primarily the PS3 browser.

Beer Monkey said:
I don't browse on my TV, but I think a nice solution would be if they allowed Opera to develop a PS3 version just how Apple finally relented with the iPhone.

Heck yeah. If Opera created a PS3 browser (and please make one for PSP too), then I'd be elated. Chrome and/or Firefox would be fine, too.

Ca1amity

Neo Member
Ranger X Paraphrase said:
Sony should charge for cross game chat
Ranger X Paraphrase said:
cross game chat is useless, go get skype or call or invite your friends over or...

wtfamireading.jpg

Situation: One of my closest friends now lives on the other side of the country. We are both gamers and have always enjoyed playing together and shooting the shit about whats on our pile or whatever.
On the 360 we can play the same game or do our own thing while still being able to communicate with each other and have a social experience.
If we're in the mood for something PS3, this doesnt happen - your solution is "go get a laptop and skype"? Yes, that seems much more reasonable than Sony enabling something relatively simple on their end.

Or, how about this - I dont ever want to hear from the mouth breathing masses. Ever. Just the party I'm gaming with that night. Yeah, no one besides an insane and obviously nitpicking minority would want that.

...and if they really wanted it, they should be prepared to pay a *premium* charge right?
You must be trolling.

Kinan

What annoys me most about the browser is that it hangs up while using youtube XL regularly...

Before last patch it would hang up ps as a whole, now only browser dies directly, but you cant close it without ps3 restart.

But its still better than none.

Schrade

Does anyone have a way to replicate the PS3 browser/screenful of garbled text bug?

I keep trying to do it on my PS3 but it doesn't do it. Can someone give me some steps to make it happen?

acm2000

shidoshi said:
iPhone, up until the latest revision, only had 256MB of RAM. And?

mobile web is hardly comparable or fully featured, or high resolution, or supports flash, or full java script, or.. it goes on

Susurrus

DonMigs85 said:
Sorry to go a little OT, but is it possible to get Sony to reset/deactivate all slots for a PSN account, or at least just one of them? I have a rogue gamesharer on my account, we had a falling out and he refuses to deactivate my slot even If do the same for his (because he claims we had an "agreement" in the past, which was never formal in the first place). And I lost my last free slot that I was saving for myself to a stranger (I suspect one of the 3 people I shared with gave my info away).

Honestly I didn't read between 1st page and here. So if I was beaten, whatever.

Anywho,

I found this link in another thread the other day....

https://www.qriocity.com

Looks like you can deactivate consoles. Also name them and such. I heard it doesn't work from outside the US but can't try that until Friday or something as I'm currently vacationing to the US.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
My ps3 freezes after like 20 mins of using the browser. When I get into multiple windows and flash vids.

I'm just not using it anymore.

mollipen

Ranger X said:
I did not we shouldn't use avatar. I have an avatar on PSN too and yet I don't care for avatars. Would never buy one and would never care there are new free ones or not. For me the caring stops after "having an avatar" and sometimes it takes me week to replace it when my photobucket account goes over its alloted bandwith. This is showing yet again how I care for avatars. If you can see the different between the careless me and this guy about avatar now... I will give you a "golf clap".

You still care enough to spend the time to find an image you wanted to use and upload it to photobucket so that you could use it on here. Thinking then that somebody would care about avatars for other uses isn't unreasonable.

Lindsay said:
Caring about avatars on PS3 is just so pointless!

To you.

acm2000 said:
mobile web is hardly comparable or fully featured, or high resolution, or supports flash, or full java script, or.. it goes on

Uhm, the iPhone does "fully featured" and "high resolution" and "full javascript" when it comes to websites. Only thing it doesn't do that a normal browser would is Flash.

DonMigs85

Ok so I called Sony earlier to see if they could reset my activation slots, but as I expected the rep said they couldn't do it. As I attempted to argue my point and beg, I think the rep hung up on me on purpose. Should I try again and immediately ask for someone higher up?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I wish youtube made an App/program for it on PS3. The website they give you for ps3 sucks since you cant watch HD stuff (at least I cant seem too), plus the format was fugly.

AndyD

aka andydumi
DonMigs85 said:
Ok so I called Sony earlier to see if they could reset my activation slots, but as I expected the rep said they couldn't do it. As I attempted to argue my point and beg, I think the rep hung up on me on purpose. Should I try again and immediately ask for someone higher up?

Begging likely wont help. They are cracking down on sharers because resetting your 5 activations would effectively give you a total of 10.

That said, as to the OP, can you post a screenshot of the issue? I think its a GAF problem that also happens on Firefox beta 4 but not on 3.6. I think a few weeks ago something changes about GAF itself that causes issues.

DonMigs85

AndyD said:
Begging likely wont help. They are cracking down on sharers because resetting your 5 activations would effectively give you a total of 10.

That said, as to the OP, can you post a screenshot of the issue? I think its a GAF problem that also happens on Firefox beta 4 but not on 3.6. I think a few weeks ago something changes about GAF itself that causes issues.
Really? So you mean the previously activated consoles get to keep the games as long as they never sign in to PSN, or at least the specific account the games came from?

AndyD

aka andydumi
DonMigs85 said:
Really? So you mean the previously activated consoles get to keep the games as long as they never sign in to PSN, or at least the specific account the games came from?

Probably. As long as the console is not actually deactivated, the games will likely be playable. Which is why Sony is being very aggressive not to deactivate. They dont actually remotely deactivate consoles, they simply give you 5 new blank slots. As far as I know anyway based on stuff here.

The browser isn't the best possible but it works for me.

You can get through the wal of text by refreshing couple of times.

DonMigs85

AndyD said:
Probably. As long as the console is not actually deactivated, the games will likely be playable. Which is why Sony is being very aggressive not to deactivate. They dont actually remotely deactivate consoles, they simply give you 5 new blank slots. As far as I know anyway based on stuff here.
Makes sense, it's impossible to deactivate a certain account anyway if the machine isn't online.

Arsenic

levious said:
hmmm, what info did you have to give them if any? I'd like to free a slot that was on a system sent in for repair. I might still have the serial number but not sure.
My email, PSN username, address, serial number of my current ps3 (old one was sent in for repair last year), answer to the security question and the last couple of items i've downloaded - but this was to verify i am the original account holder. getting to that point is a different story (read below)
DonMigs85 said:
Did your friend use the same story you did? Hopefully I can convince them, after all I'm the only one who has access to the one and only email address used for that account, and the original console's serial number.
I had to go through 3 different people (customer service rep, tech head, then a very important guy - he removed the slots over the phone in less than 2 mins).
I basically told the first person I wanted to gets PS Plus but was worried about the fact i had slots taken up. After a few minutes she transferred me to a tech guy who asked me certain questions, and then transferred me soon to the final dude who took care of the whole process. Basically I explained how the past PS3s were my cousins and friends who I logged into but was unaware of the slotted system, and now those PS3s were either sold or broken and sent in so i was unable to get them to deactivate them (mostly true anyway).

My friend isnt the best story teller and im sure he didnt sound too genuine about it. He also called later in the day, which i expect most of the important guys have gone home already (9-5 jobs i assume). He has to settle with an email process which took several days and only removed one slot, but its better than nothing.

I want to be able to make avatars with the PSEye or even any picture I have on the PS3. Make it friends only and/or an default option to never see these avatars as well as put some moderation in place, I don't care.
I agree that Sony should also give away at least some free avatars with promotions etc., though it's not like third party developers would gift you some for earning a trophy etc.
Well, they do give free avatars with PSN+.

But I don't agree about themes. First of all, the normal themes are more than just the few backgrounds on the 360 (which are not even cheaper) and for the dynamic themes there is really some work involved so I have to problem about them charging for it. Nevertheless there are a few free ones anyway (from Sony, too).
Secondly, there is a firmware option to use any pictures you copied to the PS3 as a wallpaper and Sony released and updated a theme editor so everyone can make there own themes. (which you can even download and install with the PS3 browser, choosing from the hundreds available for free and stuff you would never see as a commercial theme)

The PS3 browser is not so bad if you don't treat it as a PC replacement.
IMO it's really nice to browse some youtube video, search for something, copy a link to one of your PSN friends, find some pictures to save on the PS3, all w/o getting up etc.
The companies can link to their websites ingame and you can use most websites for any reason you might have (and not only comment-on-facebook-pictures-restricted stuff etc.)
So I'm much more forgiving in that regard, most of the stuff is working anyway and they updated the browser in the past several times.

btw
"It seems Sony keeps taking features out with it's firmware update and keeps making the current ones even shittier. "

exaggerating much? They removed ONE feature (already removed from all newer consoles) that seemed risky because some idiot (tried) to hack the PS3 with no benefit whatsoever. A feature other consoles wouldn't even allow in the first place and probably never will again...
I have no idea how you could feel like that if you compare the original PS3 firmware with the current one.
I'm not sure but they may have even included and improved more new features than MS (though that's because they had to match features already in place in the original 360 firmware) while Nintendo doesn't even deserve a mention here (and I didn't see a rant thread about the Wii's firmware :p )

So I just bought a PS3 last week and as I was experimenting with Youtube today I found I couldn't search, specifically I couldn't press the search button after inputting whatever I was searching for.

I have googled this problem and it seemed to get a lot of attention around May to July of this year but I haven't found much helpful information.

Is this the current state of the ps3 browser or is there something I can do to allow me to search videos on YouTube?
Thanks in advance for anyone who might know something!

Animator

I like that the OP is throwing a hissyfit over $0.40 avatars on psn and praising a couple of product promo free xbox live avatars while ignoring the fact that PSN itself is free.

With the money you save from xblive gold account you can go buy all the avatars on PSN now!

corn_fest

The best part about the lack of XGC is that it supposedly exists, but is being held back because Sony doesn't know how to charge for it.

Don't know if that's true or not, but if so it's ridiculous. PS+ is a pretty bad value proposition as it is, it wouldn't hurt to throw it in there.

Elios83

Yup I had the same impression, the browser which has never been good to being with..........has actually got worse with the latest firmware releases, it crashes a lot and easily, flash movies are difficult to play on most websites or the browser will even freeze when trying to load the plugin.
I don't think they are serious about this, it's just a 'me too' on the feature list.........they should scrap it and ask Google to make a custom version of Chrome.

CamHostage

I agree that the browser situation is pathetic (Sony should allow app developers onto PS3 and PSP, no reason for them to pretend that they can do all the development work themselves... or are capable of it.(

But, I haven't got a clue in the world what my PSN avatar is. Do people actually care about this?

fernoca

I guess some are missing that the thread is from July and are replying to the OP as if noone said the exact same things months ago. :p

methos75

Banned
Lindsay said:
Ya I do agree it sucks Sony is playing follow the MS leader in regards ta avatars/wallpaper/themes and now timed exclusive demos for + peoples. I guess it makes them money but it no longer sets them apart from other money grubbing corporate machines! In general it just makes me feel worse about the service and nostalgic for old psn days lol.

Oh an didn't they updated the PS3 browser last year? Something about improving its flash functions or whatever. Its not like they aren't trying they're just slow about it. They really oughta do something about the system crashing it does though. That must turn away alot of people.

The dumb thing is that until they let people add there own avatars (ha) no avatar is unique. Someone out there'll have the same as you be it free or paid. Caring about avatars on PS3 is just so pointless!

I really don't think Sony is following MS considering that things like themes and wallpapers were already part of the XMB UI on the PSP long before the XB360 was out.

Top Bottom