• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog f's around, places 7th in a half marathon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guevara

puppy1.jpg

Early Saturday morning, Ludivine, a two-and-a-half-year-old hound dog, was let out of the house in Elkmont, Alabama, to do her business. Prone to roaming around town at will, Ludivine snuck out of the backyard and made her way to the starting area of the inaugural Trackless Train Trek Half Marathon about a quarter mile away.

Ludivine proceeded to mingle with the runners, run the entire 13.1-mile course, cross the finish line in an unofficial 1:32:56, and have a medal draped over her floppy brown ears—all without her owner, April Hamlin, realizing she had wandered off in the first place.
dog1.jpg

When Ludivine stopped to investigate a dead rabbit around the 2-mile mark, Horvath caught back up with her. For the rest of the race, Ludivine stayed within 50 meters of Horvath, hopping on and off the course.
“One time she went over and met another dog next to the course,” Horvath said. “Later on, she went into a field with some mules and cows. Then she’d come back and run around our legs. I wondered if she was going to get tired or go back to wherever her home was.”

But Ludivine kept running despite her distractions and eventually finished just behind Horvath who ran 1:32 for sixth place. Once Ludivine crossed the line, she slowed to a walk. Volunteers, apparently in awe of the spectacle, put a medal around her neck and started taking photos

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-with-dogs/hound-bandits-half-marathon-in-alabama

Well, you ain't never caught a rabbit and you ain't no friend of mine, if old.

I know this is a cute story, and all's well that ends well but seriously:

all without her owner, April Hamlin, realizing she had wandered off in the first place

Fuck this lady. Doesn't deserve to own such an adorable dog.

Jimrpg

I ran a half marathon maybe bout 10 years ago and got beaten by a dog. Not even ashamed of saying it haha. Dogs are really fit. I ran 2:05.

Guevara

That's a pretty impressive pace too. Like 7:06 per mile, even including stopping to smell the dead rabbits, etc.

Mik2121

Just by checking the area on Google Maps, it seems to be quite in the middle of the countryside. Many people there leave their dogs to roam freely around their backyards or even around town because many people will still recognize the dog and/or help if something happens.

The fact that the dog decided to escape and run a marathon without her knowing doesn't necessarily mean she's a bad pet owner, depending on the situation.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

...the owner let her out in the backyard and the dog escaped.

Two Words

Yeah, fuck her! Let's put this dog in a dog pound and hope a better owner adopts the dog before the dog is put down all because the dog got out without the owner knowing!

Prone to roaming around town at will

Article makes it pretty clear this isn't the first time. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills; I live in the country and I would still never let my dog wander around loose. The risk of the dog getting hit by a car/truck, getting attacked by another animal, or all sorts of things that can happen to an unsupervised dog.

My dog managed to jump the fence once; she doesn't go outside unsupervised anymore because dogs running off on their own is not good holy shit why do I have to explain this?

theWB27

Article makes it pretty clear this isn't the first time. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills; I live in the country and I would still never let my dog wander around loose. The risk of the dog getting hit by a car/truck, getting attacked by another animal, or all sorts of things that can happen to an unsupervised dog.

My dog managed to jump the fence once; she doesn't go outside unsupervised anymore because dogs running off on their own is not good holy shit why do I have to explain this?

Your situation doesn't equal hers. You've no idea actually....but because outrage is the new cool lets take the woman's dog away and fuck her.

The 0-100 reactions are insane.

jwk94

As someone else said, your dog isn't hers. That's why you have outside dogs and/or inside dogs. Seems like hers is a little of both. I know every dog in my neighborhood is an outside dog. They just wander around as they please and know when to come home for food, water, or just to hang out.

Guys. The dog was gone for over an hour and a half and she didn't even notice. In what universe is that responsible pet ownership?

fuck it, i'm out. When animal neglect gets a defense force I'm done.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Plenty of people have outdoor pets. I know many dog owners in my area that keep their dogs outside for the day.

theoretic

Banned
Guys. The dog was gone for over an hour and a half and she didn't even notice. In what universe is that responsible pet ownership?

Man shut your bitch ass up. Crying ass bitch. Punk ass bitch. Bitch ass bitch. Bitch.

:pacspit:

Tagyhag

Man living in the country sounds awesome.

Yes that's what's happening here, everyone here but you loves to neglect dogs.

You are truly a hero that everyone should worship.

vareon

I'm here for the adorable dog story and ended up almost giggling to death at AbsolutBro's crazy outrage at something he doesn't know and theoretic's legendary reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom