• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog f's around, places 7th in a half marathon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guevara

puppy1.jpg

Early Saturday morning, Ludivine, a two-and-a-half-year-old hound dog, was let out of the house in Elkmont, Alabama, to do her business. Prone to roaming around town at will, Ludivine snuck out of the backyard and made her way to the starting area of the inaugural Trackless Train Trek Half Marathon about a quarter mile away.

Ludivine proceeded to mingle with the runners, run the entire 13.1-mile course, cross the finish line in an unofficial 1:32:56, and have a medal draped over her floppy brown ears—all without her owner, April Hamlin, realizing she had wandered off in the first place.
dog1.jpg

When Ludivine stopped to investigate a dead rabbit around the 2-mile mark, Horvath caught back up with her. For the rest of the race, Ludivine stayed within 50 meters of Horvath, hopping on and off the course.
“One time she went over and met another dog next to the course,” Horvath said. “Later on, she went into a field with some mules and cows. Then she’d come back and run around our legs. I wondered if she was going to get tired or go back to wherever her home was.”

But Ludivine kept running despite her distractions and eventually finished just behind Horvath who ran 1:32 for sixth place. Once Ludivine crossed the line, she slowed to a walk. Volunteers, apparently in awe of the spectacle, put a medal around her neck and started taking photos

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-with-dogs/hound-bandits-half-marathon-in-alabama

Well, you ain't never caught a rabbit and you ain't no friend of mine, if old.

Cyan

Banned
Ok, let's try again, and see if we can have a cute feel-good thread without ruining it by throwing around accusations of people being worse than Hitler. Please?

weshes195

Well, what I was about to post last thread:

Aw!! I would have loved to run that marathon :( I wonder if the dog could have gotten to first place if she didn't play around?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
My dog wouldn't have made it past the first 15 feet. He is lazy and big.

Kudos to that dog. It isn't easy running a marathon and he beat out a lot of humans.

Dominator

Thread redux, I can dig it.

Great story, very cute dog. I'm impressed he actually ran the entire way lol good on the folks for giving him a medal.

Adorable.

As a former Siberian husky owner, dogs getting out and doing crazy shit is familiar to me. I once got a call from someone who told me 'Oh hey, I woke up and Stormy was in my bed, just figured I'd let you know.'

I could totally see her doing something like this.

:lol

How did that even happen?

My favorite part of this is how tons of people in town already knew her since it's a tiny town and she's one of those dogs that sneaks off all the time, so when she got to the finish line people put a medal on her and immediately texted pics to the owner.

The Wall

Banned
I can think of no better "push it!" motivator than when a dog suddenly crashes your half marathon and starts outdoing you.

DiscoJer

I'm kind of shocked she had that much endurance.

I had two black labs and I'd take them for a long walk, they'd start dragging along after a mile or so

Jay Sosa

I'm kind of shocked she had that much endurance.

I had two black labs and I'd take them for a long walk, they'd start dragging along after a mile or so

That surprises me, I just babysat a lab for a week and that dog was relentless. I was taking him for 3 hour long walks in -10 degrees and he still insisted to play fetch for 2 hours after that.

Awesome story btw.

devilhawk

Dogs are fast. 4 legs and all.
Ok, let's try again, and see if we can have a cute feel-good thread without ruining it by throwing around accusations of people being worse than Hitler. Please?
Haha, The OP had to be very different than what I read lol.

Hypron

Awesome story :3

Our family dog used to run a ton when he was younger. He'd often run ~50 minutes with my father at about the same speed as the dog in that story. It was the only way to really calm him down, he was knackered after that.

Now he's old and can't run more than 2km without hyperventilating and/or going "fuck this shit I wanna lie down" D:. He'd still wreck me in a sprint though haha.

Apathy

Wtf, how the hell does that even happen from this funny story. Whatever the case, this was just a funny read.

jesu

Nice!
My dog would do that too, when we're out walking her and someone runs past she gets all excited.

Myriadis

That dog is worse than hitler.
Like she is all "look I'm so superior that I can take breaks and still rush past you with my four legs" and that's all because she's a feminist bitch. It's a conspiracy!

Nah, that's just cute and anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom