• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dollar Stores now days..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hilti92

Holy shit at the stuff they sell. Name brand products, pots, pans, knives, car cleaning stuff, etc. All of this stuff is there for $1-$3 which is insane for the quality of some of the things. I even see food there now that is not a complete shit brand. Why is this stuff there for so cheap, just because other companies couldn't sell it or is stuff just that cheap to make now? Seriously, Betty Crocker non stick baking sheets are there for less than $2 which is impressive for baking stuff.

sikkinixx

low margins, high volume!

but yeah. lots of people shop at dollar stores for everything so why not get in with old stock to sell?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'm not sure why it's so cheap, but agreed. This shit is wonderful for the price, especially when you're cutting a lot of corners on your budget.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
My guess is that it's overstock from other companies or crap that just didn't sell elsewhere so stores offload it off to them. Don't know for sure though, i don't really frequent them or look into that kind of stuff.

Ferrio

Banned
I went into a local one a few months ago. It had shelves of Sailormoon and Tenchi Muyo VHS. Pretty pathetic nowadays... but would of been a god damn goldmine 15 years ago.

Rootbeer

Banned
Hmm interesting. I was seriously expecting to enter this thread and see some really weird or super cheap shit discussed. Nice to know you can find decent items. Next time I see one I'm going to give it a walkthrough.

sca2511

I usually go there for some snacks or to get something to drink. Recently, I've been going there to get frames to display my comics in.

Ashodin

Check it, there's tons of items in these stores that are stuff most big supermarkets won't push, so you can load up on really cheap cans of tomato sauce, pasta, all that stuff. It's awesome.

Kaladin

My guess is that it's overstock from other companies or crap that just didn't sell elsewhere so stores offload it off to them. Don't know for sure though, i don't really frequent them or look into that kind of stuff.

We have a store like that here. It kind of sucks though because if you find something you like it's probably been discontinued and in limited stock.

I'm pretty sure it's great if you buy just one of that item - anything more than that, you do start to spend more per unit item than in a normal store.

I just went to walmart right after the dollar store.

They're pretty comparable in price if not better at times at the local walmart, though these places I only go for a quick snack or something. Neither of them have any great quality products.

Do they have rich versions of dollar stores now.

For me, the only good thing I've found in a modern $1 store is the cleaning products. They have one that comes in purple and green bottles and that stuff beats out all the overpriced cleaners for the popular vendors.

DarkFlow

Banned
I buy a lot of side items for dinner there. They carry a lot of name brand stuff, and cheaper then what the grochey store offers them for. Candy is also cheap, good place to hit up before going to a movie.

DonMigs85

I went into a local one a few months ago. It had shelves of Sailormoon and Tenchi Muyo VHS. Pretty pathetic nowadays... but would of been a god damn goldmine 15 years ago.

Hnnng
Anyway the local Saizen over here has lots of good quality stuff, even accessories for 3DS

I usually go there to get cleaning stuff. Scouring pads, Wipes, garbage bags. Things I can't be bothered to go to the grocery store for.

Also, candy. The one down the street from me has Hot Lips. Mmmmm.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I came into this thread expecting the opposite; the dollar store chains where I live--Dollar General & Family Dollar--are generally more expensive on both name brands and generics than major retail chains like Wal-Mart. The Dollar Tree (everything $1 or less) isn't quite as bad, but the same applies in many cases and a small shampoo or toothpaste for example may be like 92¢ at Wal-Mart. My guess is people around here mostly go to avoid crowds and checkout lines or to pick up a couple of things they're missing and don't mind paying a little extra for.

jred2k

Dollar Stores probably account for a lot of waste. Many people I talk to seem shop there with the mindset "Well shit, if it breaks I can just get another one for another dollar." Damn near all of my cookware and utensils in college were furnished there for that very reason.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I refuse to buy anything edible or dealing with food at a 99cent store - mostly because the ones I frequent kind of stink.

But man, you can't say no to $1 plungers and screwdrivers!

3phemeral

I also wouldn't be surprised that some of these products are specifically designed by major brands for the cheap market, only relabeled as something else.

Back in California, the amount of things you can buy at Dollar Tree and 99-Cents Only was fantastic. Here in Michigan, Dollar Trees have taken over, but they have a better selection their counterpart back in SoCal: White Turkey Meats, Turkey Hot Dogs, name-brand snacks, especially the amount of candy they have is dangerous. Wouldn't touch their electronic goods, though, more specifically the surge "protectors" and the extension cables.

The 99-Cents Only stores have pretty good deals on plants and produce. I used to OD on bags of Kiwi when they were on sale. Plus, I loaded up on a bunch of carnivorous plants and made a decent size terrarium full of them.

Also, FYI, don't ever buy those scented hot-oil burners. I lit one and found that the black metal was actually some type of cheap spray-on coat that bubbled up, eventually causing the oil to explode which left me with a ceiling-high mess that took an hour to clean.

Dollar General is cool... got DEM BOOTLEG GIRL SCOUT COOKIES

RAdShoI.jpg

mooooose

I worked at a dollar tree and I was heartbroken when families would come in with five to ten kids, fill a basket with only candy, and pay for it in food stamps. I rang up $50 in candy once in one of these situations. It was disgusting.

Another bad one was strippers/hookers coming in and paying for food from the dollar store in food stamps and paying the rest off with a hundred out of a stack of hundreds or in singles.

Then you had some families who came in with food stamps and would actually buy their regular groceries, and it still broke my heart that they had to hustle when so many people are exploiting aid programs.

Working in a dollar tree in the ghetto was really enlightening and sad.

DarkFlow

Banned
I worked at a dollar tree and I was heartbroken when families would come in with five to ten kids, fill a basket with only candy, and pay for it in food stamps. I rang up $50 in candy once in one of these situations. It was disgusting.

Another bad one was strippers/hookers coming in and paying for food from the dollar store in food stamps and paying the rest off with a hundred out of a stack of hundreds or in singles.

Then you had some families who came in with food stamps and would actually buy their regular groceries, and it still broke my heart that they had to hustle when so many people are exploiting aid programs.

Working in a dollar tree in the ghetto was really enlightening and sad.
Lol I worked at a dollar tree also and saw the same thing many times. I saw someone spend close to $100 with food stamps on just shit. It's not like we sell real food there. It was mostly shit like top Ramon, Vienna sausages and candy. There was a Safeway next door, get some real food.

mooooose

Lol I worked at a dollar tree also and saw the same thing many times. I saw someone spend close to $100 with food stamps on just shit. It's not like we sell real food there. It was mostly shit like top Ramon, Vienna sausages and candy. There was a Safeway next door, get some real food.

There was one family that came in weekly and bought rice, salsa, water, beans, etc. But the people who bought bullshit drove me crazy.

cbox

Dollar stores are depressing as hell, especially the ones I've been to in Florida. Up here in Canada we have one that's alright... Dollarama, but it's still crap.

DJ_Lae

Dollar stores are depressing as hell, especially the ones I've been to in Florida. Up here in Canada we have one that's alright... Dollarama, but it's still crap.

There's a Dollarama in the mall near where I work and if I wander around the mall during my lunch break I always see a massive (at least 20-30 people) lineup in there. God knows what they're all buying.

Asimov

Banned
I like to go to Dollar Tree to buy those Sunbeam AA batteries. 8 AA batteries for a dollar for a not-so-unknown brand? Sounds like a good deal to me!

Specially now that I'm buying and cleaning myself NES games. The coin batteries (Sunbeam brand too) are 6 for $1.00.

Oh, and office supplies, like pens, pencils, markers, etc.

Asimov

Banned
Also... I only like Dollar Tree, because everything is $1.00 or less... not like those Dollar General or Family Dollar... nothing is $1.00 in those two stores.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
Went into one for the first time in years a few weeks ago. Was shocked at how much name brand stuff I saw. Why more people dont shop there is a mystery

geebee

Banned
HED8eir.gif

But seriously.. I also wouldn't call a lot of the stuff there food. They've sometimes got pasta, though.

Clydefrog

I hate when I buy one item at a dollar store and I go to check out and they're like "that'll be $1.09". Fucking tax, man. I got all dese coins now

akira28

Which Dollar Store is this?

Every single one Ive walked into (not by choice) was like a garbage can.

yeah every one I go into, unless it's named dollar store, is full of old Chinese garbage. Duffle bags that rip as soon as you try to use them. Toothpaste that probably contains 1000% the recommended amount of flouride, etc.

But the name stores have 1$ Toblerone bars, 3 dollar 10 packs of batteries, shit like that. I fuxks with 1$ giant bottles of Hi-C.

Yea lot of it is company overstocks, liquidation lots, excess production runs that companies will sell off dirt cheap. They also then fill the stores full of cheapo Chinese made knock off products which really cost ridiculous prices. Work near where most of the dollar stores buy their supplies down here and it's rows of warehouses of Chinese companies selling huge case lots off anything and everything. Dollar stores really make decent profit on alot of these items even though they are only a dollar. Many things only cost then a quarter or less to buy in bulk. And lot of folks who go to dollar stores end up buying lots of things since its so cheap.

3phemeral

I like to go to Dollar Tree to buy those Sunbeam AA batteries. 8 AA batteries for a dollar for a not-so-unknown brand? Sounds like a good deal to me!

Specially now that I'm buying and cleaning myself NES games. The coin batteries (Sunbeam brand too) are 6 for $1.00.

Oh, and office supplies, like pens, pencils, markers, etc.

The batteries there are horrible, in my experience. It's as if they rebranded dead batteries and recharged non-rechargeable batteries as much as possible before reselling them. They must last something like 1/1000th that other batteries do from major stores. I tried buying batteries for my wifi keyboard, which lasts practically forever, but they somehow drain within a month's time using these cheapo batteries. Forget about using them for things that require constant output.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom