• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dollar Stores now days..

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooooose

The most interesting part is the way stores get the items.

Stores, managers, and employees have NO IDEA what items they will get. None. When the shit gets off loaded from the truck, that's when we'd find out.

Apparently items are sent based on what sold the most (ie if the store sells a ton of candy but few candles, they'll send more candy and less candles) but it was completely random. We would get the most random shit and have no where to even put it in the store and we'd just leave it in the back with the seasonal stuff. We would also get case after case of soda, sugar juice, candy, etc. Probably like 5x as much as regular food.

Also a tip, water from Dollar Tree is exempt from bottle tax. Don't ask me why, I have no idea. No other drinks are. Again, don't ask me why.

tkscz

I worked at a dollar tree and I was heartbroken when families would come in with five to ten kids, fill a basket with only candy, and pay for it in food stamps. I rang up $50 in candy once in one of these situations. It was disgusting.

Another bad one was strippers/hookers coming in and paying for food from the dollar store in food stamps and paying the rest off with a hundred out of a stack of hundreds or in singles.

Then you had some families who came in with food stamps and would actually buy their regular groceries, and it still broke my heart that they had to hustle when so many people are exploiting aid programs.

Working in a dollar tree in the ghetto was really enlightening and sad.

That's enlightening and sad to you, that's normal to me. Of course I was raised in a house of 5 other siblings (6 of us total) and food stamps were the main way we got food. Of course we got it from grocery stores like Kroger or Save-a-lot, and not a dollar store.

The only things I get from dollar stores is laundry detergent.

DarkFlow

Banned
HED8eir.gif

But seriously.. I also wouldn't call a lot of the stuff there food. They've sometimes got pasta, though.
Hey I love me some top Ramon, I even had to live off it for like a month. It's just not the greatest choice of food if you can afford more with food stamps.

cbox

There's a Dollarama in the mall near where I work and if I wander around the mall during my lunch break I always see a massive (at least 20-30 people) lineup in there. God knows what they're all buying.

Same with me, I usually walk past at lunchtime and the place is packed. I go there to buy cheap gum and once or twice, an hdmi cable. Some people load up on junk especially around the holidays.

A new Dollar Tree just opened awhile ago near me that sells different frozen foods and even eggs and chicken thighs. Even if I was struggling i'd have a hard time eating that chicken.

Persona7

Banned
I remember almost shitting myself when I saw a bunch of PSP and PS2 games at Dollar tree.

There were a bunch of sports and poker titles but I also got The Warriors,Twisted Metal,Disgaea and Jeanne D'arc.

Other than that, Dollar Tree is junk food central. If you are going to see a movie then load up on candy from dollar tree before hand.

Dollar General is okay. They have some toiletries that are about on price with Wal Mart without the Wal Mart crowds. Other than that, most of the dollar stores are exactly like previous said, a garbage can.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Which Dollar Store is this?

Every single one Ive walked into (not by choice) was like a garbage can.

Heres the big one in Las Vegas. Its pretty good. Best deal ive found there was packs of Oscar Mayer Turkey Bacon. i bought like five of them lol

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
A lot of the cheap name-brand products at Dollar General or Family Dollar are just different SKUs. They're cheaper because it's a slightly smaller size. And I wager they end up being more expensive per unit cost.

Chuckl3s

I have a family member who works for Henkel (formally Dial Corp.) She would tell me that they are very picky on how their product looks. So if a label is slightly off-centered they will get rid of it by selling it to these types of stores. Even employees can purchase this stuff for cheap. She brings home product all the time and usually only pays 25 cents for. And I'm telling you..at first glance you can't tell if anything is wrong but you examine it, it would either be a mislabeled product or damaged.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
we have poundshops over in uk and ive worked in one for a while. alot of the stock we had coming in was basically overstock from tesco, sainsburys asda and other supermarkets that either they didnt want,need or could shift in the time before best before (foodwise).

when it comes to ordering its quite annoying cos one week u have something next week you dont and you then spend loads of time moving around all your shelfs but its fun lol

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Weird. I've noticed the opposite of what the OP is claiming. Quality and size have taken a nosedive. There are almost no bargains to be had, and it's obvious to anyone who can do second grade math.
The same thing happened to Taco Bell throughout the '90s.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Almost everything I buy at a dollar store breaks. I bought a spray bottle for plants, dropped it about 12 inches (from my hand to the counter) and it exploded in a shower of plastic. Yahoo!

Only thing I was surprised by was the quality of the plates, bowls, pots, pans, etc. Definitely going to the dollar tree when I need to buy new dishes. This was the dollar tree (or some dollar store) in Florida, though...I don't really remember the dollar stores in MA being as nice. :( I'll check 'em out one day.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Big Lots is pretty good to get household stuff. Full sets of the Rubbermaid food storage stuff is cheap as well. Food storage sets seem to come out with new sets like twice a year so probably a lot of closeout stuff available. Hangers, clothes bins, storage bins, outdoor solar-powered lights and a bunch of things you need around the house are cheaper there. Holiday items are cheap there as well.

Vice

I've always wanted to try the beer and wine I've seen at 99 cent only stores. I've found good books at the Dollar Tree. I also used to buy PS1 games from there in 04 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom