• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

jediyoshi

Question:

My Wii up and died on me last week and I have no intention of buying another one. With that said, I'm looking for a DVD drive that can read Wii discs and all the lists of models I see are LG brand drives, but the lists are all from 2007/2008. Is there a more up to date listing somewhere online so I'm not searching through model numbers that are 4-5 years old and may not be in stock or may have better versions available?

It's like that because those are literally the only batch of drives that can read them, the functionality hasn't been carried over to newer models since.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
6906291550_2c15b6a364_c.jpg

So good!

Two questions, though.

1) What is the default directory/location for Dolphin Screenshots? I can't seem to find my shots anywhere on my drive.

2) My audio is giving me a lot of problems. Fuzziness sometimes, and just a huge downgrade in quality at random times, and then it bounces right back. While I don't use Dolphin a lot, this is the first time I've experienced it. I tried different audio options, but it said I needed to dump them from my Wii. So... will that fix the problem? And does anyone have a handy guide on how to do that?

Thanks!

So good!

Two questions, though.

1) What is the default directory/location for Dolphin Screenshots? I can't seem to find my shots anywhere on my drive.

2) My audio is giving me a lot of problems. Fuzziness sometimes, and just a huge downgrade in quality at random times, and then it bounces right back. While I don't use Dolphin a lot, this is the first time I've experienced it. I tried different audio options, but it said I needed to dump them from my Wii. So... will that fix the problem? And does anyone have a handy guide on how to do that?

Thanks!

How to dump DSP: http://forums.dolphin-emulator.com/showthread.php?tid=3823

Alternatively, you should be able to use a patched version of Dolphin that lets you play it with HLE with no issues, I used it for the European version and it worked perfectly. You
can get it here: http://forums.dolphin-emulator.com/showthread.php?tid=14356

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

-GOUKI-

man i am so lost in getting dolphin to run. What build do you use for xenoblade? Everyone seems to have their own builds and configs.

edit: also is it true 32 bit systems run dolphin like ass?

Ledsen

So good!

Two questions, though.

Thanks!

To answer your question: you need to download a Dolphin build that has the Xenoblade HLE fix, or the audio will be kind of broken.

what's that tiny screen you hhave there?

Jintor

I love Xenoblade, and I love how beautiful Dolphin makes it, but I think I'll just play The Last Story on my Wii. Having to fiddle around optimising Dolphin and it being a complete fucking mystery as to why it'll randomly crash, taking my last hour of play with it, are just pissing me off. Stability above all else.

jediyoshi

I love Xenoblade, and I love how beautiful Dolphin makes it, but I think I'll just play The Last Story on my Wii. Having to fiddle around optimising Dolphin and it being a complete fucking mystery as to why it'll randomly crash, taking my last hour of play with it, are just pissing me off. Stability above all else.

If you find Xenoblade unstable, you should probably stay far away from The Last Story. A million times less stable, more performance issues, effects not rendering correctly, disappearing textures, etc.

-GOUKI-

fuck i can only run xenoblade at 15fps :( changing the internal resolution doesn't seem to be making the fps better or worse for some reason

Eiji

Yeah maybe i should upgrade :( kinda sucks because my cpu is fine for just about any modern day pc game. Wanted to upgrade my gpu sometime too.

What CPU have you got? Maybe you can overclock it? I got my E4500 running 50% faster at 3.3GHz and it runs Xenoblade just fine.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
OK guys, I am only going to say this once. This is MY opinion and it WILL not change....

When running in the Dolphin emulator, at 1920x1080 resolution, F-ZeroGX, is the...

*MOST. BEAUTIFUL. LOOKING. VIDEOGAME. EVER. MADE.!!!*

No, I am not being sarcastic and no I am not exaggerating in ANY way shape or form! I have played and seen EVERY graphically impressive game out there.....Crysis, Uncharted 3, Skyrim with Mods, Witcher 2, GT5, Battlefield 3, MW3, etc etc etc......none and I mean NONE of those games looks as GORGEOUS as F-ZeroGX running in Dolphin at 1920x1080!

I just bought a new front projector. It is the very first display I have owned that supports 1920x1080. I was previously on a 720p projector and the jump to 1080p was absolutely incredible in this game!!!!!!!!!! MY FREAKIN' GOODNESS!!! F-ZeroGX looks soooooooo fucking good I honestly cannot put it into words! The emulator dolphin unlocks the true resolution of the game's textures, making them look like NEXT GEN graphics!!!

Please everyone, if you get a chance, play F-ZeroGX in Dolphin and set the display resolution at 1920x1080 and make sure you set the *internal* resolution at 4x native(2560x2112). I get FULL ROCK SOLID 60fps pretty much EVERYWHERE.

*sigh*....I just don't know what else to say guys. The game is exceptionally beautiful and the best looking videogame I have ever gazed my eyes on. Period!

Nabs

OK guys, I am only going to say this once. This is MY opinion and it WILL not change....

When running in the Dolphin emulator, at 1920x1080 resolution, F-ZeroGX, is the...

No, I am not being sarcastic and no I am not exaggerating in ANY way shape or form! I have played and seen EVERY graphically impressive game out there.....Crysis, Uncharted 3, Skyrim with Mods, Witcher 2, GT5, Battlefield 3, MW3, etc etc etc......none and I mean NONE of those games looks as GORGEOUS as F-ZeroGX running in Dolphin at 1920x1080!

I just bought a new front projector. It is the very first display I have owned that supports 1920x1080. I was previously on a 720p projector and the jump to 1080p was absolutely incredible in this game!!!!!!!!!! MY FREAKIN' GOODNESS!!! F-ZeroGX looks soooooooo fucking good I honestly cannot put it into words! The emulator dolphin unlocks the true resolution of the game's textures, making them look like NEXT GEN graphics!!!

Please everyone, if you get a chance, play F-ZeroGX in Dolphin and set the display resolution at 1920x1080 and make sure you set the *internal* resolution at 4x native(2560x2112). I get FULL ROCK SOLID 60fps pretty much EVERYWHERE.

*sigh*....I just don't know what else to say guys. The game is exceptionally beautiful and the best looking videogame I have ever gazed my eyes on. Period!

*tears*

Pics have probably already been posted, but man, TvC looks really good running at 60fps.
amen.

-GOUKI-

ffuu i think its my 32 bit system. I managed to overclock my cpu from 2.8 to 3.0 (some reason i cant go any higher even though i put more voltage into my cpu :/ )

Still don't get high enough fps...

JohngPR

Games locked at 25 unless you get a mod so yes.

Really...even the NA version? The FPS counter said 30 after the intro sequence and fluctuated from 24-29 with big (albeit quick) dips when I did a special move.

Weird.

ffuu i think its my 32 bit system. I managed to overclock my cpu from 2.8 to 3.0 (some reason i cant go any higher even though i put more voltage into my cpu :/ )

Still don't get high enough fps...

You might be right.

I have a HD 5770 with 4GB RAM as well, the difference being that my CPU is a Phenom X4 955 3.2GB one and my OS is 64 bit.

EDIT: I also figured out how to get the 360 Button Prompts to show up in the US version of the game! :)

Seik

Banned
Steady 30fps here with the US version.

Intel 2500k OCd 4.5Ghz
Geforce 480GTX
4Gb DDR3 Ram

Running at 1680x1050, Vsync on, DX9, EFB copy to RAM with cache checked (Which was quite important for me to avoids slowdowns with textures after many different tries with different settings.)

(I know I don't put AA, I do this to be sure there's no slowdowns at all, LLE being more intense for the whole thing and I want it to go smooth.)
xenok1rj8.png

Aphexian

I keep getting fluctuating frame rates. When it's at 30 FPS the game runs like it would as if I were to go pop in into the Wii and play it, but when it dips down to 25 and below it runs like it's in slow motion. 25 FPS seems like it's 3/4 speed and 20FPS looks like .5x speed. Is there anyway to hard lock it to 30 FPS and make it so that it never dips below but can still go higher for when I play 60 fps games?

Ledsen

I keep getting fluctuating frame rates. When it's at 30 FPS the game runs like it would as if I were to go pop in into the Wii and play it, but when it dips down to 25 and below it runs like it's in slow motion. 25 FPS seems like it's 3/4 speed and 20FPS looks like .5x speed. Is there anyway to hard lock it to 30 FPS and make it so that it never dips below but can still go higher for when I play 60 fps games?

Emulation works like that, you need 100% speed and if you go below you get slow motion its not like playing a proper pc game. You can enable frameskip to get jerkiness instead of slowdown, but its equally as jarring. I wouldnt play a game where i couldnt get 100% speed 99% of the time. Only thing you can do is lower settings or buy a better processor.

Ledsen

Steady 30fps here with the US version.

Intel 2500k OCd 4.5Ghz
Geforce 480GTX
4Gb DDR3 Ram

Running at 1680x1050, Vsync on, DX9, EFB copy to RAM with cache checked (Which was quite important for me to avoids slowdowns with textures after many different tries with different settings.)

(I know I don't put AA, I do this to be sure there's no slowdowns at all, LLE being more intense for the whole thing and I want it to go smooth.)
xenok1rj8.png

You dont need lle, just download a xenoblade hle fixed dolphin version.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member

This is one happy man.

Aphexian

Emulation works like that, you need 100% speed and if you go below you get slow motion its not like playing a proper pc game. You can enable frameskip to get jerkiness instead of slowdown, but its equally as jarring. I wouldnt play a game where i couldnt get 100% speed 99% of the time. Only thing you can do is lower settings or buy a better processor.

I have a Phenom II 970 BE (3.5Ghz) I figured it would be fast enough to handle it. I hear many other gaffers talk about Dolphin being more designed for Intel chips (which I would have gotten a 2500K sandybridge if I had the money at the time) I just don't want to drop $300-400 for a new processor & mobo if the problem can be fixed through settings.

I have a Phenom II 970 BE (3.5Ghz) I figured it would be fast enough to handle it. I hear many other gaffers talk about Dolphin being more designed for Intel chips (which I would have gotten a 2500K sandybridge if I had the money at the time) I just don't want to drop $300-400 for a new processor & mobo if the problem can be fixed through settings.

Settings won't fix your performance problems, but you can improve them slightly through some changes. This'll probably defeat the purpose of using Dolphin, but some of the basic ways to improve performance (I don't know how to tweak the settings specifically to games) is to lower the resolution and turn down/off the AA/AF. You'll see a slight bump. Also, you can try OC'ing your CPU if you haven't already.

DagsJT

Anyone have a profile for using a 360 controller as a Wiimote? Trying to set up Dolphin for multiplayer on Mario Party but having trouble.

Skel1ingt0n

Hey all!

I've been running Xenoblade fine without issue for the last couple days. Like I said in another thread, I run at 98% speed... about 98% of the time. I'll get the occasional drop for a second or two every fifteen minutes; no big deal, and entirely playable.

But tonight, everything went to hell. I'm in the Tempura(?) caves for the second time - so I know I didn't have problems earlier - and performance is absolutely abysmal. I'm dropping to ~70% speed every ten seconds, and the game is basically unplayable.

So, I go to check things out, and I notice Afterburner is reporting 99% GPU usage, which it never really does when I play on Dolphin. That seems very odd; usually my GPU usage is at ~5-25%, and will bump up to ~50% if I enable 4x AA, and will start bumping 99% usage with 9x (lol) AA. So, I double checked, and sure enough, AA is off. So, for the life of me, I can't figure out what's suddenly triggering this intense GPU usage, that's just destroying my performance.

But what's even more odd, is my GPU temps. I'm hitting a constant ~90+% GPU usage, which would typically put my GPU temps in the high 70s/low 80s C, but yet while playing Xenoblade, at 99% usage, I'm only hitting low 50s. Hmm....

So yeah, any ideas what to do? I'm at a loss. Thank you!

Oh yeah, specs:

i7 930 @ 3.4
GTX570 OC'd
12GB RAM
10K RPM HDD

Running "Abe's HLE-fixed Dolphin Version."

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I use this version: http://electrodexs.net/Dolphin/manual/?rvsn=3.0-508-gf30aebf

It has all the ICC optimisations (so it's a little faster if you have a modern CPU) and has the Xenoblade HLE hack turned on so the sound if fixed. Just choose the version near the top of the list with "XBHLE31" in the name.

Holy shit, was that website made in the late '90's? Comic sans, star patterned backgrounds, neon colors, and music.

EDIT: Not to be rude, it's a great resource, but... damn.

Jarmel

Banned
So I want to run Xenoblade on Dolphin. Do I need to homebrew my Wii to do so? I can't just use my PC? Just all around confused.

tborsje

Holy shit, was that website made in the late '90's? Comic sans, star patterned backgrounds, neon colors, and music.

EDIT: Not to be rude, it's a great resource, but... damn.

I completely agree, especially regarding the music. Ugh, it even autoplays. Looks like a Geocities page.

But the author regularly updates Dolphin builds, uses a very efficient compiler and takes requests for patches, like the HLE patch in this build. So he does hard work and shares it for the community, I guess it's in his right to have an obnoxious website if that's what he's into.

CoolS

Folks I want to hop on the dolphin train.

Installes all the stuff on my Wii according to the wiki from the homebrew threat and started up the USB loader. Everything up to that point works fine.

My problem: I can't seem to install/save my games to my usb drive. It always automatically goes to my SD card. I got the usb selected in the options (it's formatted FAT32) but somehow it doesn't seem to work. Any suggestions?

Top Bottom