• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Seik

Banned
Indeed, Xenoblade is simply a piece of art on Dolphin, especially during those cutscenes.

This is madness.

I tried running some GC games on my PC in 480p just to see how it works and it didn't go very well, lol... pictures like these make me seriously consider investing in some major upgrade. Do you run this at full speed looking like this?

(on second thought, are you sure these pics are not photoshopped?)

Yes it can run perfectly fine with these settings, just need the rig.

xenoyesl6owq.png

Oxn

Is there an optimal way in setting your GC controller to having full function of a Wii Controller?

I really dont want to buy or use a wiimote?

So anyone knows the best setting to set everything?

awaiting response

jaypah

Which part of "i havent" is so hard to understand?

Hey man, no need to get snippy. GAF isn't a paid tech support site, it's just a bunch of gamers. A large percent of them will help if they can if you just exercise some patience.

Rich!

Yeah, for sure. Anyway, I'll upload my awesome gamecube controller config file if he just answers my question...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Hmm, thinking of trying this out. Not sure how many games my computer would actually be able to handle, or if it would even be able to run them at a higher resolution than my Wii, but trying doesn't hurt.

Do you need a USB drive to dump your games to, or can you do it over WLAN and have them end up on your computer's HDD? I distinctly remember reading about that being possible, but I never actually looked into it any further. Problem is I don't have a large enough drive formatted to FAT16/32, and I'm gonna guess the Wii doesn't read or write to NTFS drives?

xb on fire
iAY1KpyKxBvCb.jpg

iM3hVfjpH4pIU.jpg

iBjMCGQSCnmXf.jpg

ibrAoZXICyvzH0.jpg

iQDxdphTDHj2B.jpg

iB7pFIa5OmAzx.jpg

ibnlxkvzfPebnJ.jpg

ib2N2wVLIBPNf.jpg

Seeing pictures like this infuriates me. All that luscious detail, hidden away behind blurry output.

Just recently I played Ninja Gaiden Black on Xbox Originals and was SHOCKED at how well it held up. There's a ton of detail you don't even notice in 480p, and seeing everything in super-sharp definition made everything look so clean and modern.

Rich!

Do you need a USB drive to dump your games to, or can you do it over WLAN and have them end up on your computer's HDD? I distinctly remember reading about that being possible, but I never actually looked into it any further. Problem is I don't have a large enough drive formatted to FAT16/32, and I'm gonna guess the Wii doesn't read or write to NTFS drives?

Best bet is USB on your wii through homebrew. Use either CFG USB loader or Cleanrip.

CFG usb loader does indeed write to NTFS though, so you shouldn't have any issues.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Best bet is USB on your wii through homebrew. Use either CFG USB loader or Cleanrip.

CFG usb loader does indeed write to NTFS btw.

Oh, cool, thought the Wii was limited to using FAT drives, but I guess that's not a hardware limitation then.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, that would't actually make sense, since individual files on a FAT drive can't be larger than 4 GB, and I'm sure many Wii games are larger than that.

Rich!

Thanks for all the help, but i already asked another forum and got my answer.

You still haven't answered the impossible conumdrum of how you plan to rip your Wii games without a Wii (no PC DVD drives read Wii or Gamecube games).

How are you planning on ripping your games? I'm curious.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You still haven't answered the impossible conumdrum of how you plan to rip your Wii games without a Wii (no PC DVD drives read Wii or Gamecube games).

Weren't there actually a few drives that could, that are no longer being sold? Still doesn't sound very plausible, no, just pointing that out.

jaypah

Christ, don't be that guy.

Which one are you talking to?

Also, I want to get F-Zero GX but no stores around have a copy. I guess I could just order it but ugh...i just want to play it soon. My friend said he could sell me his copy but his won't get past the start screen. It just hangs and we scoured the web for answers and came up with nothing, which leads me to believe that his game might be the problem. If anyone in the New Orleans area has one to sell please PM me.

Oxn

Do you guys think that an SSD will help performance in anyway?

I plan on getting one regardless but would like to know.

Oxn

ivybridge sure is powerful

Running all my GC games at 100% on stock speed, havent even had the need to OC.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Did anybody come up with settings that will work for Xenoblade? I can't wait to play this shit on the dolphin.

Using the build I linked to a couple posts up is likely your best option - at that point, you can play with the settings as much as your hardware can handle.

coopolon

Isn't it entirely possible that he has a friend with a Wii and can rip the games there?

Ledsen

Isn't it entirely possible that he has a friend with a Wii and can rip the games there?

I think it's pretty obvious he either doesn't have access to a Wii, or is being facetious about it to prove a point. No one would ever admit to pirating on GAF though, so I see no reason to discuss it further.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Christ, don't be that guy.
I think he's just pointing out that the guy clearly isn't legally obtaining his emulated games, which is a huge no-no.

Also, holy SHIT at those XB screens. I agree, dude - that locked away beauty is a damn shame. It'd be the greatest move of Nintendo's life if the Wii U somehow rendered Wii games in 1080p.

Gah, now I want to buy Xenoblade, but I know it won't look like that. >:/

Edit: Oh yeah! I had a question to ask you fine gents. To the best of your knowledge, would a brand new MacBook pro run Dolphin well? I'm talkin 1080p wii games at 60fps well. I'm going to buy a new laptop in about a month or two, and I want to know if that'd be a relatively good option, since Dolphin is a huge priority for me.

I think he's just pointing out that the guy clearly isn't legally obtaining his emulated games, which is a huge no-no.

Also, holy SHIT at those XB screens. I agree, dude - that locked away beauty is a damn shame. It'd be the greatest move of Nintendo's life if the Wii U somehow rendered Wii games in 1080p.

Gah, now I want to buy Xenoblade, but I know it won't look like that. >:/

Edit: Oh yeah! I had a question to ask you fine gents. To the best of your knowledge, would a brand new MacBook pro run Dolphin well? I'm talkin 1080p wii games at 60fps well. I'm going to buy a new laptop in about a month or two, and I want to know if that'd be a relatively good option, since Dolphin is a huge priority for me.
What's the point in discussing piracy in an emulation thread? The probability is high that people doing emulation are pirating in some way because it's only logical. No matter what they say. Even with 2 Wii's and a collection of hundreds of games there's still a powerful incentive and lots of temptation to pirate. Btw, im not accusing anyone, just saying as a debate here is a waste of time.

1080P for all Wii games in a laptop is still hard to achieve Dacvak. Your best bet is a desktop with a highly clocked Sandy or Ivy Bridge CPU.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
1080P for all Wii games in a laptop is still hard to achieve Dacvak. Your best bet is a desktop with a highly clocked Sandy or Ivy Bridge CPU.
Is the Mac version of the software any more efficient or anything? I, unfortunately, won't be in a position to build a new desktop for a while. :/

abasm

Is the Mac version of the software any more efficient or anything? I, unfortunately, won't be in a position to build a new desktop for a while. :/

Resolution is a matter of your graphics hardware--if you have a decent graphics chip then 1080p shouldn't be an issue. (without super-sampling)

60 fps, though? Probably not. I don't think any Macs outside of the most expensive desktops are equipped with CPUs that can handle it, optimization or no.

I would like to mention that I actually do own a Wii but have no way to use a Wiimote on my PC as I've inexplicably never owned a motherboard that has bluetooth support. I'd have to buy a USB bluetooth dongle (granted, most of those are like, a dollar at this point).

Getting the annoying 0x000007b error on my brand new laptop.

Installed directX, Microsoft C++ Runtime, and NET frameworks.

Tried the xinput1_3 trick.

Nothing is working.

My specs:

Intel i5 2.40 GHz
6 gb RAM
Windows 7 64 Home
Nvidia GT 555M

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
There is no way in hell a Macbook Pro is going to have the muscle necessary to run Dolphin properly. There are very few laptops capable of this.

Ledsen

I would like to mention that I actually do own a Wii but have no way to use a Wiimote on my PC as I've inexplicably never owned a motherboard that has bluetooth support. I'd have to buy a USB bluetooth dongle (granted, most of those are like, a dollar at this point).

I think mine was less than that, from China of course. Works perfectly.

Dacvak

There is no way in hell a Macbook Pro is going to have the muscle necessary to run Dolphin properly. There are very few laptops capable of this.
I trust you. Thanks for the input.

CFG usb loader does indeed write to NTFS though, so you shouldn't have any issues.
I must admit, I've had issues with Cleanrip. Admittedly this was because I was trying to rip Brawl to an 8GB flash drive (which is of course using the SI meaning of giga, meaning 1000MBs, instead of the commonly-accepted and generally-used-in-this-context meaning of giga, meaning 1024MBs, so it's in reality closer to 7GB than 8GB). Now, CleanRip supported partitioning the dump across several different drives, so I kind of assumed "do 2 3GB partitions or 3 2GB partitions, copy those to computer, clean flash drive, reinsert it into Wii, do final partition, tada" would work. I didn't anticipate CleanRip writing the earlier partitions back onto the drive again after they were explicitly deleted, causing corruption of the final chunk because it's trying to write to space that doesn't physically exist. What's the point of swapping in a new device if you're just going to write the segments that were on the earlier devices all over again with no consideration for whether or not it'd fit? Argh.

John

Anyone know how to get the audio working properly in Tales of Symphonia? I'm on Dolphin 3.0-631-dirty, and I've used every combination of DSP-LLE settings (I have the LLE files).

abasm

Anyone know how to get the audio working properly in Tales of Symphonia? I'm on Dolphin 3.0-631-dirty, and I've used every combination of DSP-LLE settings (I have the LLE files).

Sometimes, "Accurate VBeam Emulation" (right-click the game -> Properties) helps.

coopolon

How does New Super Mario Bros do on dolphin? The game never looked bad on the wii, so I'm trying to decide if it's worth the effort of loading it up in an emulator or just playing it straight on the wii,

vazel

Banned
How does New Super Mario Bros do on dolphin? The game never looked bad on the wii, so I'm trying to decide if it's worth the effort of loading it up in an emulator or just playing it straight on the wii,
Me and my friend played through the entirety of the game on Dolphin. It ran fine.

masterkajo

So I started messing around with dolphin a bit back when Skyward Sword was about to release but I got distracted with university exams and such. Since I am about to have my final exam in about a month I was wondering (since I didn't follow the scene since then) if Skyward Sword does run perfectly on dolphin or if I should rather play it on Wii.

My specs:
i5 2500k @ 3,3GHz
4GB RAM
Asus EAH5770
Win7 64bit

Ledsen

So I started messing around with dolphin a bit back when Skyward Sword was about to release but I got distracted with university exams and such. Since I am about to have my final exam in about a month I was wondering (since I didn't follow the scene since then) if Skyward Sword does run perfectly on dolphin or if I should rather play it on Wii.

My specs:
i5 2500k @ 3,3GHz
4GB RAM
Asus EAH5770
Win7 64bit

It'll run great, even better if you overclock.

Top Bottom