• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

John

Sometimes, "Accurate VBeam Emulation" (right-click the game -> Properties) helps.

Tried it both on and off for every other permutation, still no luck, but thanks.

I think I've found something, though. On the wiki for the game it says it'll be fixed by setting the Audio Backend to LLE, but that doesn't show up as an option for me:

bdaf41c42e20b98e86bf79719fd7291afdf05413.png

How do I get that option to show up? Unless that's equivalent to the DSP Emulator Engine settings, both of which I've tried with no luck.

Ledsen

Tried it both on and off for every other permutation, still no luck, but thanks.

I think I've found something, though. On the wiki for the game it says it'll be fixed by setting the Audio Backend to LLE, but that doesn't show up as an option for me:

How do I get that option to show up? Unless that's equivalent to the DSP Emulator Engine settings, both of which I've tried with no luck.

Those are the two LLE options, yes.

http://wiki.dolphin-emulator.com/index.php?title=DSP_LLE

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Did you rip the DSP roms from your Wii? LLE won't work properly without that.

CSX

so how good is ivy bridge with the games that require the high clocks? IIRC, someone said Xenoblade and Last Story required at least 4.5 ghz on sandy bridges

Yaska

so how good is ivy bridge with the games that require the high clocks? IIRC, someone said Xenoblade and Last Story required at least 4.5 ghz on sandy bridges

xenoblade works fine on 2600k with normal clocks, but you won't get the best visuals.

Linkhero1

That looks awesome. I wish I had a strong enough PC to run WWE Day of Reckoning 2. Ah gonna go boot up my Wii and play some right now :D

Yeah, but the chances of someone having one here is slim to none.

a minute of googling will find you a list of working drives you could look for on ebay. my dad found one in an old pc at his offices and put together a little box to rip his wii games. it's not that far out there.

edit: although he does actually own a wii, just doesn't want to bother with homebrewing.

Rich!

xenoblade works fine on 2600k with normal clocks, but you won't get the best visuals.

I have an AMD Phenom X4 955 processor (3.6ghz), and with that special build of dolphin I can play Xenoblade at 1080p, V-Synced at full speed. It only ever rarely dips below full speed, and even then it's only for a split second. My graphics card is an AMD Radeon 6850 1gb.

At Makna Forest now, and so far it's flawless and looks stunning. I don't need an ivy bridge Intel processor to get these results, no way.

Thanks to the recent Star Fox Wii U rumor thread I have fired up Star Fox Assault again and I have to say for a Gamecube game it looks quite good in my opinion:

It runs almost perfectly too with a Phenom II 955 @ 3.2ghz, aside from a few hiccups it's always 60fps so far. :)

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
You still haven't answered the impossible conumdrum of how you plan to rip your Wii games without a Wii (no PC DVD drives read Wii or Gamecube games).

How are you planning on ripping your games? I'm curious.

What about buying a copy of the original game and then using a downloaded ISO from the internet to play the game in Dolphin. The point about legally playing emulated games is about buying the games first, it's not about having the original hardware.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What about buying a copy of the original game and then using a downloaded ISO from the internet to play the game in Dolphin. The point about legally playing emulated games is about buying the games first, it's not about having the original hardware.

Pretty sure that's considered a very gray area since you're most likely going to have to use torrents, which means seeding to others that most likely didn't buy the games even if you did.

You can find DVD drives that read Wii and GCN discs for under $20 though. Models:

Hitachi LG GDR-8161b (IDE)
Hitachi LG GDR-8162b (IDE)
Hitachi LG GDR-8163b (IDE)
Hitachi LG GDR-8164b (IDE)

And apparently (can't confirm these):
Hitachi LG GDR-H10N (SATA)
Hitachi LG GDR-H10NBLK (SATA)

Forgot which I have, haven't use it since I modded the Wii, the drives are actually pretty slow. Think it's an 8164.

And the software you want for ripping is called Rawdump. Might be others, but that's the one I found and it worked.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
How much slowdown is normal with 3D Vision enabled? I was trying it out earlier on a PC that can easily run Mario Galaxy 2 at full speed, but enabling 3D Vision slows it down to unplayable levels.

green_focus

Pretty sure that's considered a very gray area since you're most likely going to have to use torrents, which means seeding to others that most likely didn't buy the games even if you did.

You can find DVD drives that read Wii and GCN discs for under $20 though. Models:

Hitachi LG GDR-8161b (IDE)
Hitachi LG GDR-8162b (IDE)
Hitachi LG GDR-8163b (IDE)
Hitachi LG GDR-8164b (IDE)

And apparently (can't confirm these):
Hitachi LG GDR-H10N (SATA)
Hitachi LG GDR-H10NBLK (SATA)

Forgot which I have, haven't use it since I modded the Wii, the drives are actually pretty slow. Think it's an 8164.

And the software you want for ripping is called Rawdump. Might be others, but that's the one I found and it worked.

It is the 8164, and it is slow. ~ 3 hours for a Wii game. Dual layered games like Xenoblade need to be ripped with a different program called friidump. It's a dos command line program, and for dual layer discs, basically doubles the time to rip. It's not hard to use, just tedious.

Kokonoe

Banned
Wow...I just purchased this really cheap bluetooth USB device on ebay for 2-3ish dollars the other day (including shipping), and it works perfectly with the Wiimote. This really makes the Dolphin experience perfect. This is awesome.

You can get it even cheaper here.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EBE1LI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If people are using candles for a censor bar, I take it I can just plug in the censor bar to my Wii, leave it on, and it'll work like that?

So here's a basic question I'm sure gets asked (but that I couldn't find a clear answer to).

If I build a PC later this year with an i7 processor, decently overclocked, and a nice gpu, can I run Mario galaxy 1 and 2 and DKCR at full speed?

Thanks!

abasm

So here's a basic question I'm sure gets asked (but that I couldn't find a clear answer to).

If I build a PC later this year with an i7 processor, decently overclocked, and a nice gpu, can I run Mario galaxy 1 and 2 and DKCR at full speed?

Thanks!

I've got an i5 clocked at 4.5 GHz and an HD6870, and I can run SMG2 at full-speed with accurate sound emulation. If you're thinking of buying an Ivy Bridge, they don't overclock as well as a Sandy Bridge, but you may not need to go as high. (I.E. an Ivy Bridge processor will, on average, perform as well as a Sandy Bridge, at slightly lower clock speeds.)

Halp!

First time trying out Dolphin and I need assistance getting the highest settings for Xenoblade as well at the patch for 30 fps. I've tried a link I found on a forum: http://www.multiupload.com/0HT3E314L0 but it's just a blank page...

I have:

i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz
Radeon HD 7950
16GB of DDR3 1600 Ram

I should be able to handle the highest settings, right? Would very much appreciate any assistance from you guys!

XiaNaphryz

Halp!

First time trying out Dolphin and I need assistance getting the highest settings for Xenoblade as well at the patch for 30 fps. I've tried a link I found on a forum: http://www.multiupload.com/0HT3E314L0 but it's just a blank page...

I have:

i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz
Radeon HD 7950
16GB of DDR3 1600 Ram

I should be able to handle the highest settings, right? Would very much appreciate any assistance from you guys!

Try this Dolphin build for Xenoblade specifically: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=37214950#post37214950

You should be able to run it at least at full 1080+ res, 3x internal res, 4x SSAA, 16x AF, per-pixel lighting enabled, XAudio2 audio backend, audio throttle enabled, and LLE sound (assuming you have the Wii DSP roms ripped).

Try this Dolphin build for Xenoblade specifically: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=37214950#post37214950

You should be able to run it at least at full 1080+ res, 3x internal res, 4x SSAA, 16x AF, per-pixel lighting enabled, XAudio2 audio backend, audio throttle enabled, and LLE sound (assuming you have the Wii DSP roms ripped).

Ok, I grabbed that filthy patch mentioned but it looks like it's just a download of dolphin. I brought up the dolphin.exe and none of the settings look different from default.... Is there something else I need to do with it?

XiaNaphryz

Ok, I grabbed that filthy patch mentioned but it looks like it's just a download of dolphin. I brought up the dolphin.exe and none of the settings look different from default.... Is there something else I need to do with it?

That particular Dolphin build runs Xenoblade really well, even if it looks really similar to whatever you were using already.

My specs are pretty close to yours: i7 2600k @ 4.4, GTX 570, 16GB DDR 1833.

That particular Dolphin build runs Xenoblade really well, even if it looks really similar to whatever you were using already.

My specs are pretty close to yours: i7 2600k @ 4.4, GTX 570, 16GB DDR 1833.

It was just at all the low default settings. I think I can just use your recommendations in the previous post to boost my own stuff. I was finally able to find the 30 fps patch and implemented it. I don't have the roms ripped for LLE but that just makes the sound a little crisper? Don't really care about that. Are you using Direct3D9 or 11? I'm going to try to use 9x AA.

Sadly I'm screwed for tonight as I just learned the hard way that you can't use a wireless 360 controller with charge and play...still need the adapter. Walmart is out of both wireless adapters and wired controllers and everything else is closed this late. FUUUUUUU

XiaNaphryz

It was just at all the low default settings. I think I can just use your recommendations in the previous post to boost my own stuff. I was finally able to find the 30 fps patch and implemented it. I don't have the roms ripped for LLE but that just makes the sound a little crisper? Don't really care about that. Are you using Direct3D9 or 11? I'm going to try to use 9x AA.

Sadly I'm screwed for tonight as I just learned the hard way that you can't use a wireless 360 controller with charge and play...still need the adapter. Walmart is out of both wireless adapters and wired controllers and everything else is closed this late. FUUUUUUU

The settings I suggested are what I used in that specific Dolphin build I linked to. That build is more than just the patch applied to it, it also has more specific optimizations compiled into it to improve performance. I get pretty much full framerate for most of the game with it with D3D9. I can likely go higher on some of the graphic settings, but its stable enough at what I have.

LLE provides more accurate audio (in general HLE will produce the occasional odd sound effect and/or not play music quite right, but Xenoblade should be fine with HLE with that particular build), but since you have the rig to use LLE at full framerate I think its worth it. Really easy to rip them from your Wii given how easy it is to install Homebrew now.

The settings I suggested are what I used in that specific Dolphin build I linked to. That build is more than just the patch applied to it, it also has more specific optimizations compiled into it to improve performance. I get pretty much full framerate for most of the game with it with D3D9. I can likely go higher on some of the graphic settings, but its stable enough at what I have.

LLE provides more accurate audio (in general HLE will produce the occasional odd sound effect and/or not play music quite right, but Xenoblade should be fine with HLE with that particular build), but since you have the rig to use LLE at full framerate I think its worth it. Really easy to rip them from your Wii given how easy it is to install Homebrew now.

I just created a separate folder for his setting and tried running the game that way. It doesn't look like he has any of the patches? The sound was shitty for the intro cinema although it seemed fine in the initial battle. It doesn't run at 30fps so I'm guessing he doesn't have that patch. I've tried both 3x and 4x (just to see how it would perform). Do you think I'm just not handling the 3x well and the patch can't compensate? or does the download not have any of the patches?

Ledsen

I just created a separate folder for his setting and tried running the game that way. It doesn't look like he has any of the patches? The sound was shitty for the intro cinema although it seemed fine in the initial battle. It doesn't run at 30fps so I'm guessing he doesn't have that patch. I've tried both 3x and 4x (just to see how it would perform). Do you think I'm just not handling the 3x well and the patch can't compensate? or does the download not have any of the patches?

The 30 fps patch is something you patch the game itself with, it's not built into filthys build or any dolphin build... You'll have to download it separately and apply it to the iso. Also, filthy's build does have the hle patch and I don't have any sound problems with it. Are you actually running filthy's build? What you downloaded wasn't his "settings", it was in fact his own version (build) of dolphin, with many changes made to make xenoblade run as well as possible. You need to use that build to get those improvements.

The 30 fps patch is something you patch the game itself with, it's not built into filthys build or any dolphin build... You'll have to download it separately and apply it to the iso. Also, filthy's build does have the hle patch and I don't have any sound problems with it. Are you actually running filthy's build? What you downloaded wasn't his "settings", it was in fact his own version (build) of dolphin, with many changes made to make xenoblade run as well as possible. You need to use that build to get those improvements.

Yeah I'm using his build now. Ok, I can grab the 30fps patch from my own folder and toss it over to his and implement it to his build. I just wanted to clarify if he had it implemented already or not and it's comforting to find out he didn't, so it's not a performance issue on my end. Wonder why the sound is off though?

Ok, so what all do I need to apply to this game? 30fps patch, xbox360 button patch, and a texture res patch? Is 2.7 the highest HD texture res patch still? I found a forum where the guy posted it in March.

EDIT: I figured out the sound and fps issue. The reason the sound and fps was off were not due to lacking patches, it was because I had AA at x9. Once I knocked it down to x4, everything runs great. Native x4 knocks it back down to 25 fps but the sound isn't too bad but I'll stick to Native x3 where it runs great. Would still appreciate a response on the patches question though. Is 2.7 the latest high res pack patch? Is there anything else I need besides the three I mentioned?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Halp!

First time trying out Dolphin and I need assistance getting the highest settings for Xenoblade as well at the patch for 30 fps.

Copy the quoted text below to a text editor, save the text file as "patch.uue" and convert it to a binary file with uudecode or with WinRAR. That should get you a 70 bytes large binary file. called patch.pff (You can verify the integrity of patch.pff with the MD5 hash). Then patch the Xenoblade-iso you should have created yourself with patch.pff using PPF-O-MATIC. After you've done that, you should now be able to run the EU version of Xenoblade at 30fps in Dolphin.

begin 0666 patch.ppf
M4%!&,S`",S!&4%,M-C!64%,@6&5N;V)L861E('!A=&-H("`@("`@("`@("`@
9("`@("`@("`@("```````P`````````!2F1E
`
end

The MD5-hash of patch.pff

ae950b6f5eaa03684ef38f4dad26dfb7 *patch.ppf

Ledsen

Yeah I'm using his build now. Ok, I can grab the 30fps patch from my own folder and toss it over to his and implement it to his build. I just wanted to clarify if he had it implemented already or not and it's comforting to find out he didn't, so it's not a performance issue on my end. Wonder why the sound is off though?

Ok, so what all do I need to apply to this game? 30fps patch, xbox360 button patch, and a texture res patch? Is 2.7 the highest HD texture res patch still? I found a forum where the guy posted it in March.

EDIT: I figured out the sound and fps issue. The reason the sound and fps was off were not due to lacking patches, it was because I had AA at x9. Once I knocked it down to x4, everything runs great. Native x4 knocks it back down to 25 fps but the sound isn't too bad but I'll stick to Native x3 where it runs great. Would still appreciate a response on the patches question though. Is 2.7 the latest high res pack patch? Is there anything else I need besides the three I mentioned?

Yeah, AA is a big performance hog. You should be able to run at 4x internal rez though, maybe you could post the rest of your settings (including the settings you get if you right-click the game in the game list and pick preferences or whatever) and we can give you some tips.. And yes, those are the patches that are out there for Xenoblade. I'm personally not using the high-res patch though because I prefer the original look.

MYE

For some reason the last two Zelda games do not really seem to benefit from Dolphin. While other games look glorious on there, the Zelda titles look just worse and even more outdated.

There are far better looking locations in SS to show off how good it looks.

I'm pretty sure you could choose areas in WW or TP that would upscale badly too.

Yeah, AA is a big performance hog. You should be able to run at 4x internal rez though, maybe you could post the rest of your settings (including the settings you get if you right-click the game in the game list and pick preferences or whatever) and we can give you some tips.. And yes, those are the patches that are out there for Xenoblade. I'm personally not using the high-res patch though because I prefer the original look.

The characters don't look high rez but I can at least tell that the character pics for their hp, etc are up-scaled.

The gameconfig (right clicking game in Dolphin list) has: enable duo core, enable MMU, enable BAT, MMU Speed Hack, Accurate VBeam emulation, Speed up disc transfer rate, Enable Block Merging, DSP HLE emulation (fast), enable widescreen, disable wiimote speaker, and ZTP Hack all checked.

Dolphin config just has: Enable Duo Core (speedup), Enable Idle Skipping (speedup), JIT Recompiler (recommended) checked. Should I check lock thread to cores?

Audio is on DSP HLE Emulation (fast) with enable DTK music and enable Audio Throttle checked.

I have the wii set to 16:9 aspect ratio, should I set that back to auto?

Graphics on Direct3D9 and I have force aspect ratio at 16:9

Enhancements at 3x Native, AA 4x, Anisotropic Filtering 16x (maybe I should lower this?) with scaled EFB copy and per pixel lighting checked.

On another note, while I was typing this out, the game dimmed and put up some error about the wiimote getting disconnected or something along those lines. I couldn't snap the game out of it with my 360 controller and now I've lost all my progress from tonight :( Has anyone encountered this? Does this just come from inactivity? That's going to suck. I guess I'll just have to save the game if I'm going to stop playing for more than a minute.

Dmax3901

Tried Wind Waker today, no matter what I do I can't get rid of the horrible low res DOF thing.

Followed all the suggestions in the 3rd post of this thread and elsewhere :/

Tomodachi

For some reason the last two Zelda games do not really seem to benefit from Dolphin. While other games look glorious on there, the Zelda titles look just worse and even more outdated.
I played through the whole skyward sword on Dolphin and then played some hours from it on the console, it's like day and night trust me.

Nice DKC shots. I know myself and a few other people were having an issue (when using a real Wiimote) where the game's controls became extremely laggy in Dolphin shortly after starting, but I recently found a fix for it by simply switching to revision 7719, and I've been having a blast replaying it since then. R7719 doesn't fix every game with this issue though, I'm still forced to play Rayman Origins with an Xbox 360 controller (ugh) as an emulated Wiimote.

Shiggy

I played through the whole skyward sword on Dolphin and then played some hours from it on the console, it's like day and night trust me.

I mean, take a look at the Galaxy titles. They look like a next-gen title. Skyward Sword and TP still look like games from the last generation. Sorry for not making this clear. And tbh, I didn't notice those rather outdated tree textures on my small screen, I only notice them because of you huge Dolphin shots :D

Perhaps it's the blocky objects/low-poly environments that just don't look too great in HD.

Edit: That's it. Resizing the images to 800x500 makes them look really great.

I've mostly used Dolphin for goofing around rather than serious play, but was pleasantly surprised to see how well Xenoblade runs on it for me and decided to play that way rather than on Wii. I was even more impressed once I saw its a game where 3D Vision works pretty well. I'm still very near the beginning, the big landscapes are great for depth. Most troublesome thing so far is that the arrow showing what enemy is selected isn't at the same depth as the enemy.

http://joshuajamesslone.name/temp/Xenoblade.jps

Does anyone know how to get the Chao Garden working on SA2B here?

I mean, it crashes every time I go in the main garden. The rest of the game works fine execpt that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Don't mind Shiggy. He's always raged over TP/SS's texturing, and lacks the eyes to appreciate the natural, finer IQ of higher resolution rendering.

Top Bottom