• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hey, what part of your system does the dolphin emulator stress the most?

I'm wondering if it worth the effort of OCing my i5 3570k CPU and/or Nvidea 670 GPU.

My computer is in a mini case, so it may not be great of OCing, though.

As far as I'm aware, it's mostly CPU intensive.

The vertical wind waker screen gave me a boner.

Jesus.

I live to please :D

w00tkins

When I use the projection hack in Wind Waker to get rid of the low-res DOF blur, the shadows disappear too! Is there a fix for this? It also gets rid of the black bars present when L-targeting and during cutscenes, but I rather like that.

kr2t0s

Is anyone running Dolphin on a 13" retina macbook?

I have a 11" Macbook Air and when I tried Wind Waker it wasn't that great so I never really got beyond that (this was maybe 2+ years ago).

Thinking about getting a 13" retina and going back and playing Wind Waker is definitely something I want to try.

Just curious.

ramine

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone manage to get Metroid Prime 2 running stable and fast? I've been hacking around for 2 days trying to find a config that'd work, without any luck. At best I can get half speed on my i7 at 4Ghz.

Would appreciate some help!

I'm using a bluetooth adapter I picked up at Best Buy a few weeks ago (a RocketFish or something like that).

Took some doing to get the wii remote to work with it, but I found great, step-by-step instructions for how to set everything up here: http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-wiimotion-plus-asus-usb-bt211-problem
On the second post of that page. The "Toshiba Stack" bluetooth drivers you need might not be at that link, but they aren't hard to find with Google.
Instructions get a little complicated (especially if you don't like editing files and stuff like that), but if you follow them exactly they should work.

Apparently those drivers are only a 30 day trial for non-Toshiba bluetooth adapters, but I read that you just have to uninstall and reinstall them to restart the 30 days, so they are basically unlimited.

Korezo

Does such a thing exist? I only found the 360 controller buttons, but I'm not using the 360 controller. I have issues with the deadzone in the analog sticks for my Xbox 360 Controller for Windows, so I use my PS3 controller instead.

Nope, it was the PAL version with the 30fps patch only, everything else was just Dolphin settings @ 2560x2112 w/ 9xSSAA and 16x AF.

This is the setting I used to fix the audio stuttering. At locked 30fps the audio is perfect, but if it even drops to 29 the audio begins to stutter like fucking crazy. So make sure you have settings that can maintain the locked 30.

D4BhVUE.jpg

So what cpu you have that allows you to run the game in those settings and maintain 30 fps? The 30fps patch messed up my sound, I am using a very old dolphin version from the 6ks since I can't get no game to work properly with newer versions though.

Garteal

antitrop said:
Controlling the camera in Xenoblade with the motion controls of the six-axis... Weird, but interesting.
That happens if you use the Playstation 3 mode. By default the camera will be mapped to the sixaxis. You can manually disable it by turning sixaxis off in the Playstation 3 options.
If you just want to get everything working without configuring anything, use the "Playstation 2 (POV, joysticks)" mode.

As for the controller itself, I'd suggest using a classic controller over the Wiimote+nunchuck combo for controllers. Simply change the nunchuck extension to classic controller and map the buttons there.

Korezo said:
So what cpu you have that allows you to run the game in those settings and maintain 30 fps? The 30fps patch messed up my sound, I am using a very old dolphin version from the 6ks since I can't get no game to work properly with newer versions though.
An Intel Core-i5 2500K/3570K should handle the game flawlessly. What are your specs?

mocoworm

How is this not classed as piracy ?

How are these threads allowed on GAF when you are discussing dloading and playing pirated games ?

Persona7

Banned
How is this not classed as piracy ?

How are these threads allowed on GAF when you are discussing dloading and playing pirated games ?

Ripping the disks you own for emulator playback is not illegal.

Hell, I have my entire SNES collection(including the saves that were on the cartridges) in a small 7z archive thanks to my retrode.

mocoworm

I'm not seeing anyone discussing that here. If if there was, you can bet that the participants would be banned immediately.

So everyone here talking about Gamecube, SNES, N64 and Wii have ripped all the games (that they bought) themselves ? From cartridges as well.

Whatever.

mocoworm

I don't think piracy means what you think it means.

What do you think I think it means ?

Dloading and playing copyrighted games that you haven't paid for or copying games from legitimate sources without permission or payment ... is my definition of piracy.

I just assumed that you couldn't discuss this kind of stuff on GAF. This thread is the same as discussing the R4 on the NDS or me talking about dloading and burning xbox1 games to play on my 360 as it's emulated back compat.

Or am I totally wrong and missing some point here?

Daedardus

Dloading and playing copyrighted games that you haven't paid for or copying games from legitimate sources without permission or payment ... is my definition of piracy.

I just assumed that you couldn't discuss this kind of stuff on GAF. This thread is the same as discussing the R4 on the NDS or me talking about dloading and burning xbox1 games to play on my 360 as it's emulated back compat.

This thread is about emulating Wii games, which is not illegal. We have never discussed piracy here.

Persona7

Banned

http://www.theesa.com/policy/antipiracy_faq.asp

Isn't it legal to copy computer and video games as a backup as long as you own a legitimate copy?

U.S. Copyright laws permit making a "backup" copy of computer programs for archival purposes. However, the right to make backup copies of computer programs for archival purposes, as embodied in 17 U.S.C. Section 117(2), does not in any way authorize the owner of a copy of a video or computer game to post or download a copy of that game to or from the Internet or make such copy available to other people for their use. Section 117(2) only gives the owner of the copy a right to make an archival copy of the actual copy that he/she legally possesses, not to make a copy of the ROM that someone else legally possesses, nor to post an archival copy of his/her original copy for distribution. The law clearly does NOT provide any right to sell "backup" copies. In fact, Section 117 is quite explicit in stating that any archival copy prepared under Section 117(2) can only be transferred to another person if, and only if: A) The original copy is also transferred, and only with the authorization of the copyright owner, and B) The transfer is part of the sale of all rights in the program.

Daedardus

Fair enough then. I won't mention it again.

Where do you get your Wii games / Gamecube games from to put on your PC. You buy them all and rip them in ?

You could say normal pc games are also piratable. Though no one mentions it when someone posts screenshots in the pc thread.

So everyone here talking about Gamecube, SNES, N64 and Wii have ripped all the games (that they bought) themselves ? From cartridges as well.

Whatever.
Whether you believe it or not is irrelevant. Nobody here is discussing or sharing links to websites containing pirated material, anybody that asks how to get their pirated games working or where to download games has been promptly banned, nobody is breaking any rules in the TOS and everything being discussed in this thread is nice and legal.

Why don't you play them on your Wii / Gamecube ? OP says most are broken or don't work properly.
Because you can't play Wii or Gamecube games on the Wii or Gamecube natively at 720p, or 1080p or higher with anti aliasing or 16x AF.

Why don't you play them on your Wii / Gamecube ? OP says most are broken or don't work properly.

A lot of major ones work just fine if you have the right hardware to emulate them on. And then the increased resolution and anti aliasing makes them look far better than playing them on the original hardware.

jediyoshi

Find me a single discussion in this thread of people openly discussing illegally obtaining games; otherwise the point is that you're not actually making the distinction between people's ability to legitimately back up their own games or not. You're taking your own assumptions and begging the question.

Garteal

mocoworm said:
Because emulating them has a lot of advantages.

For one, most people want to play these games in HD.
Others like to play them with graphical enhancements such as HD texturepacks (and models later).
Another advantage is that you have savestates (don't rely on them too much).

These are just a couple among the dozen of advantages.

And for your information; the vast majority of games work flawlessly or have minor issues. There a couple of games that don't work properly or break during development.

Ledsen

Because my Wii can't do 1080p+ resolution with anti-aliasing an 16xAF, letting my play with a 360 controller, entering codes to speed up text in Zelda, save states, etc? Most games work perfectly fine btw.

Do you really think we're all pirates? I ripped all the games I play on Dolphin myself, games I bought.

Also, backseat modding is bannable FYI. It's not your job to police GAF for morally reprehensible (in your view) threads.

Dolphin is the best thing ever. I hope you don't mind if I share some pics.

The Last Story. I loved the characters in this one. Just looking at the pics gives me that warm fuzzy feeling lol.

ZUl.png

Fatal Frame 2. This game is actually scary, loved it. Character models hold up incredibly well in HD.

aVl.png

Not sure if you guys caught any of these, but I've been doing video comparisons for Dolphin for a while now. The first one for Nintendo World Report is up now. It's Xenoblade Chronicles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ppTuKbYjCNU

I've also done Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. They're all linked to in the description.

very nice videos, they raise awareness of the benefits of emulation. All good stuff. Keep it up!

So I just built a new computer to run OSX and Win7. Here's what I have:

Cpu: Intel i7
Ram: 4gb DDR3
Video: Nvidia GTX 660 ti

Right now I only have OSX installed so I tested dolphin, and the results were both humorous and glorious. I ran Twilight Princess and all of the characters had their skin turn dark grey. Turns out there are a few problems with Nvidia with Dolphin on OSX. However, I am able to run at MAX settings at full speed. It was amazing.

Then I tried to run Monster Hunter Tri, same black texture problem, but I wasn't able to run it at max or even at half settings. The frame rate was cut in half. I'm guessing this is just a compatibility problem with Dolphin, right?

abasm

Not sure if you guys caught any of these, but I've been doing video comparisons for Dolphin for a while now. The first one for Nintendo World Report is up now. It's Xenoblade Chronicles.

I've also done Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. They're all linked to in the description.

Have you considered dividing the video in half and displaying footage of the same scenes at differing resolutions on either side?

famfrit

Dolphin is the best thing ever. I hope you don't mind if I share some pics.

The Last Story. I loved the characters in this one. Just looking at the pics gives me that warm fuzzy feeling lol.

ZUl.png

Fatal Frame 2. This game is actually scary, loved it. Character models hold up incredibly well in HD.

aVl.png

Whow !!!!!!!!! Awesome screens pal.

Someone know how well Xenoblade will work in my notebook ?

CPU AMD A6 3.400M
GPU Radeon 6750m
RAM 4 gigas

So now I'm running an Athlon Phenom II x4 at 3.6 ghz, 12 gigs of ram, SSD, and a GeForce 670.

What are the new configs I need to get to get Xenoblade working?

Korezo

So I just built a new computer to run OSX and Win7. Here's what I have:

Cpu: Intel i7
Ram: 4gb DDR3
Video: Nvidia GTX 660 ti

Right now I only have OSX installed so I tested dolphin, and the results were both humorous and glorious. I ran Twilight Princess and all of the characters had their skin turn dark grey. Turns out there are a few problems with Nvidia with Dolphin on OSX. However, I am able to run at MAX settings at full speed. It was amazing.

Then I tried to run Monster Hunter Tri, same black texture problem, but I wasn't able to run it at max or even at half settings. The frame rate was cut in half. I'm guessing this is just a compatibility problem with Dolphin, right?

Probably, I run both those game perfect with dolphin 3.5 on Win7, but at first I did use to have that black texture problem, I don't remember what I did to fix it.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I can't believe Nintendo are going through the trouble of remaking this when a simple upscale up-res is nearly enough!
Seriously, I'd replace like two textures in that image (the carpeting on the stairs and maybe the shields on the wall), everything else is perfect as is.

It says video removed :/

Top Bottom