• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Alright, so this is really great.

Some people have been able to use the emulator that Nintendo made for the Zelda Collectors Edition and force it to emulate other games, such as Super Mario 64 and Mario Kart on the Gamecube.

But! But! But! Who cares? Well, I do! Because now you can play those games, with all the perks of Dolphin, including free look AND 3D support!

Super Mario 64 in 3D is really, really cool!

I'm sure I could count the number of people who actually care on one hand, but I think this is super awesome.

This is relevant to my interest. Details?

This... this seems like a lot of extra work when you could simply dump the WAD from a Wii and run it.

Either way you're emulating an emulator which is bad practice.

I imagine this injection method is easier than making WADs for some reason. And with the poor state of N64 emulation, an emulator inside an emulator is better than "playing with the highest-grade voodooFX cards".

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Have you had a shot at Xenoblade in 3D? Easily the best 3D experience I had, even though it's not really playable (cutscenes look all screwed).

After some moderate tweaking of the 3D vision settings, running through the foliage at the beginning of the game and seeing the depth of the world was absolutely mind blowing.

I haven't tried it yet no, that's a biiiiig game so I'm gonna have to section off some time to play through it. Also, tweaking of the settings how? When I'm using dolphin the only thing it seems to allow me to tweak is the depth, not the convergence.

This is relevant to my interest. Details?

Some people took the Zelda Collectors Edition and replaced Ocarina of Time with Super Mario 64 so that it runs on a Gamecube. If you'd like to get a copy of it, Google could probably help but I don't think I can share it. Also, it's a Gamecube disk sized file (over 1gb), so I couldn't easily share it either way.

But what's the difference between that and Virtual Console? And weren't there still some annoying bugs in it?

This... this seems like a lot of extra work when you could simply dump the WAD from a Wii and run it.

Either way you're emulating an emulator which is bad practice.

The difference is the 3D support and Free Look support. I've tried running WADs of games before and having those enabled seems to just horribly break it.

catabarez

Is there any way to make the Steam overlay work with Dolphin?
Thanks in advance.

Yes, I posted a solution in this thread. Let me find it.

Edit: Found it

Wii/GCN games on Steam WITH Overlay

First thing you have to do is add the Dolphin emulator to the Steam library as a Non-Steam game.

Next you go into the properties of the emulator through Steam. Just right click it in the Steam menu then click on "Properties"

Where it says Target change it to something similar to this:

"E:DolphinDolphin.exe" /e "F:GamecubeDouble Dash.iso" /b

The first part is the location of the application for your emulator. The /e lets the emulator know to run this .iso when it starts. The second file location is the .iso you want the emulator to run and the /b closes the emulator when you exit the game.

After doing all that the game should work perfectly with Steam!

To do multiple Wii games on Steam simply make a copy of the application (not a shortcut) and repeat the process with a separate .iso

PM me if you have any questions, I am glad to help anyone out.

Have a screenshot!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Have you had a shot at Xenoblade in 3D? Easily the best 3D experience I had, even though it's not really playable (cutscenes look all screwed).

After some moderate tweaking of the 3D vision settings, running through the foliage at the beginning of the game and seeing the depth of the world was absolutely mind blowing.

I decided to make a 3D GIF to show off the attract screen, the 3D in this game is mighty fine.

ix73GgRzk1Mqq.gif

GIF is 14mb, as a heads up. So let it fully load.

bideogamer

Neo Member
Its fucking crazy how well that cross eyed 3D stuff works. My eyes got really used to doing it after I watched a few rift videos that way. It feels like Im hacking my brain...

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Its fucking crazy how well that cross eyed 3D stuff works. My eyes got really used to doing it after I watched a few rift videos that way. It feels like Im hacking my brain...

It's pretty much exactly what the glasses do, make it so that one eyes sees one image, and your other eye see's the other image. I mean, technically, if you wanted to you could play an entire game in side by side 3D, and just cross your eyes the whole time you play.

I imagine this injection method is easier than making WADs for some reason. And with the poor state of N64 emulation, an emulator inside an emulator is better than "playing with the highest-grade voodooFX cards".

Err... and why would you need to play a game with a voodooFX card? Poor state of N64 emulation? You trying to use UltraHLE? If so, I think that's your problem. Plenty of N64 graphics plugins that don't rely on it, and even those that do come with wrappers.

Injecting into a wad is no harder than injecting into a gamecube ISO :) and dumping wads from your wii is even easier.

rjc571

Banned
I decided to make a 3D GIF to show off the attract screen, the 3D in this game is mighty fine.

Can't you create .mpo images or something? I don't see how posting two images side by side is supposed to let me see them in 3D.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
That looks pretty cool, but do you have to cross your eyes while playing? I can't imagine doing that for very long. Or do you have a 3D TV.

I personally have a 3D monitor, so I just play with the glasses on. Also, when playing with a 3D screen and glasses, the image you see has twice as much horizontal space.

So I'm playing the game at 1920x1080/3D while the image above was recorded at 960x1080 so that it would translate to cross eyed 3D better.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

http://i.minus.com/ix73GgRzk1Mqq.gif

wow, this is beautiful! thanks for sharing!

It's like looking into a diorama :D

edit: Also, is there a difference between a 3D monitor and a regular one with shutter glasses, other than refresh rate?
Maybe I'll give this a try...

(30 Hz per eye should still be enough for me)

Ydahs

[img ]http://i.minus.com/ix73GgRzk1Mqq.gif[/img]

Glorious.

I don't understand how to do it :(

You just need to cross your eyes until both images overlap and then try to bring the overlapped images in focus. It takes a while to get used to, but it's definitely worth it. I can do it almost instantaneously, though I've known about cross-eyed images since I was a child.

rjc571

Banned
Glorious.

You just need to cross your eyes until both images overlap and then try to bring the overlapped images in focus. It takes a while to get used to, but it's definitely worth it. I can do it almost instantaneously, though I've known about cross-eyed images since I was a child.

It would be a hell of a lot easier if someone would just create .mpo images out of them. Trying to cross my eyes just results in a huge headache for me.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
It would be a hell of a lot easier if someone would just create .mpo images out of them. Trying to cross my eyes just results in a huge headache for me.

As far as I'm aware, .MPO doesn't support animation. Either way, the image is there if you want to download it and make an MPO file out of it.

edit: Also, is there a difference between a 3D monitor and a regular one with shutter glasses, other than refresh rate?
Maybe I'll give this a try...

(30 Hz per eye should still be enough for me)

I'm not sure, but I do know that the 3D in Dolphin is 3D vision, so I'm not sure if you could use a non-3D vision monitor and still see the 3D.

EvB

If you're referring to Luigi's Mansion, yeah I knew that - but generally just about any game I've tried works pretty fantastically with 3D.

One notable exception is NSMB:Wii, which only does 3D in the overworld, and in the actual levels is in 2D.

If you're curious to see what the 3D looks like, I've got 2 examples that are GIF, if you are capable of doing the cross eyed 3D.

iAz1Yb0izCVwp.gif

Another example.

There is no 3D going on there, the images are identical..

Gbraga

I'm not sure if I'm doing it right, is there a more extreme example that there is now way I'll have any doubt if it's working?

EDIT: nvm I'm sure now

EvB

They aren't, even without any means to see 3d (including cross eye, doesn't work for me) I can tell those images aren't identical (look where the shoulders are at the end of both images)

If you overlay the image in photoshop you can see that there is almost no difference in the actual camera position. Every other image he posted has a distinct stereoscopic effect, except this one.

That image is now animated? It must not of loaded, I can see it on the Zoom but on the last frame (which is all I could see) it was barely discenable

8qAHu0P.gif

Garteal

Amazing screenshots and gifs Alo!
I like the 3D ones especially. Can you do a larger sized one? :p
(link to it otherwise you'll destroy peoples connection)

By the way, it seems like you've forgotten my post regarding the HUD.
Just a reminder.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Amazing screenshots and gifs Alo!
I like the 3D ones especially. Can you do a larger sized one? :p
(link to it otherwise you'll destroy peoples connection)

By the way, it seems like you've forgotten my post regarding the HUD.
Just a reminder.

I tried that method, but it seems to also remove shadows which is sort of unfortunate.

Also, I CAN technically do larger size ones, but as the size increases, so does file size - exponentially and they look worse because I still only have 256 colors to work with.

I'll try that wind waker one at full size and link it.

Nintendo should just release a HD compilation of Twilight Princess + Wind Waker + Skyward Sword for the Wii U. Would be the greatest thing ever.

Skilletor

Here's a good dolphin example that has more drastic 3D.

iHgJDgaXGzeJx.gif

That world doesn't look lived in at all.

:p

(No, looks great, seriously.)

Does the Metroid Prime Trilogy work w/ dolphin yet? I have been wanting to play it forever now. I guess I could just buy them individually for much cheaper, though.

I was gonna ask if the fire effect wasn't glitched in the newest Dolphin versions. I'd see that I'll have to keep waiting for that WW replay.

Edit: Sorry can't help you, but in the comments say the AR code are different for the USA and EU versions. Another solution is to use an old build maybe?

Annoying. I can do the 3D crosseyed just fine with the smaller gifs (though it brings me to tears) but not the other ones at all.

I do, however, see where I'm doing it wrong. It seems my eyes adjust differently to the smaller gifs, never losing focus, but simply adjusting over, whereas the adjustment distance is just too big to do that with the larger ones.
It's quite funny, actually, it kinda bounces haha.

Top Bottom