• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Annoying. I can do the 3D crosseyed just fine with the smaller gifs (though it brings me to tears) but not the other ones at all.

I do, however, see where I'm doing it wrong. It seems my eyes adjust differently to the smaller gifs, never losing focus, but simply adjusting over, whereas the adjustment distance is just too big to do that with the larger ones.
It's quite funny, actually, it kinda bounces haha.

With the larger GIF's, you should move back a bit.

Because they're so large, if you're too close then your eyes have to cross way too much to comfortably make them overlap.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Oh my god Chrome, please stop dieing and let me look at the pretty gifs!

I decided to make a 3D GIF to show off the attract screen, the 3D in this game is mighty fine.

GIF is 14mb, as a heads up. So let it fully load.

Also, I just wish this could be my Windows background - not in it's accelerated state, of course... :D

Uhyve

Guhhh, all these gifs are just making me fantasise about Oculus Rift support. Seriously if Dolphin had support for that I'd have a very hard time waiting for the consumer version.

I mean, if there was just an Oculus Rift driver that worked similarly to nVidia's 3D Vision auto stereoscopic driver, all you'd really need to do is link the motion censors into the free view code.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Guhhh, all these gifs are just making me fantasise about Oculus Rift support. Seriously if Dolphin had support for that I'd have a very hard time waiting for the consumer version.

I mean, if there was just an Oculus Rift driver that worked similarly to nVidia's 3D Vision auto stereoscopic driver, all you'd really need to do is link the motion censors into the free view code.

I had thought about that in the past as well.

I'm not expecting it would be trivial or anything, but with the free look support already in Dolphin, and sterescopic 3D built in as well, I could imagine it definitely being possible.

Just thinking about F-Zero in occulus rift is nauseatingly exciting.

Harro

Alo81 your gifs are realy nice, how did you do? I mean, there are no lack of color and it's clean.
I would like to make some gif of games running on dolphin, it's easier to share, but with Photoshop, we are restricted to 256 colors to make a gif.
thank you

Holden

I just tested it using the US AR code with the NTSC Wind Waker

iTFeyy4C3mQlj.gif

Aw that's probably why

i play on the jp version, any idea on the AR code for ntsc-j?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Alo81 your gifs are realy nice, how did you do? I mean, there are no lack of color and it's clean.
I would like to make some gif of games running on dolphin, it's easier to share, but with Photoshop, we are restricted to 256 colors to make a gif.
thank you

He's still restricted to 256 colors, it's just that Wind Waker, being toon shaded, probably has not much more than that on screen at any given time, so it's a good approximation.

You can still see color gradients if you look for them in the gifs, such as on clouds, etc.

edit: Also, has anyone here experimented with Vine as a gif replacement?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
thank you

I made a little tutorial for someone else in the past showing how to import video and make a GIF out of it, if you'd like to see it.

Tutorial

I also got another question at another point, and gave more details on having a nice frame rate for the GIF you can see here

kn1ves24

Hello All! I have a quick question for any of you guru's with dolphin. I am trying to play the Operation Rainfall games. Main reason I am using Dolphin is to get the bump in image quality. The issue I am having though is with the sound. In all 3 games I get terrible sound emulation. I have tried all the "fixes" I could find (Dumped the LLE from my Wii, tried a mix of Xaudio or dsound settings). Nothing seems to really fix it. Weirdly HLE seems to work the best in all cases when the wiki stated LLE should fix the issue for Xenoblade.

If anybody has a good working set of configs I could try or has any tips for me to try I would be grateful.

Also it maybe entirely related to my hardware.

Here are the basics, I can provide more detail if needed:

Processor: AMD FX 6100 @ stock settings
Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600
GPU: 1GB Radeon 5770's in crossfire.

I know the GPU's aren't great but I was under the impression dolphin wasn't really GPU intensive.

Uhyve

Hello All! I have a quick question for any of you guru's with dolphin. I am trying to play the Operation Rainfall games. Main reason I am using Dolphin is to get the bump in image quality. The issue I am having though is with the sound. In all 3 games I get terrible sound emulation. I have tried all the "fixes" I could find (Dumped the LLE from my Wii, tried a mix of Xaudio or dsound settings). Nothing seems to really fix it. Weirdly HLE seems to work the best in all cases when the wiki stated LLE should fix the issue for Xenoblade.

If anybody has a good working set of configs I could try or has any tips for me to try I would be grateful.

Also it maybe entirely related to my hardware.

Here are the basics, I can provide more detail if needed:

Processor: AMD FX 6100 @ stock settings
Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600
GPU: 1GB Radeon 5770's in crossfire.

I know the GPU's aren't great but I was under the impression dolphin wasn't really GPU intensive.
Is it a problem with stuttering or static? If it's stuttering, then it's probably just a low framerate causing your troubles, in which case try fiddling with your settings to see if you can get up to full speed (maybe try HLE, XAudio2, DX9, 1x internal res). If that fails, maybe try the first few revisions where the games worked perfectly, since older revisions tend to run a bit faster. If the problem is static, that's when LLE is needed. This is all as far as I remember so maybe someone else will be able to tell you more.

As a side note, I believe that audio time stretching is being implemented on the OpenAL audio backend at the moment, so once that's finished it'll hopefully help with smaller stutters. It's in there at the moment but unfortunately it seems to cause quite a bit of slowdown for me.

I don't really keep up with AMD cards, but I'd expect those to be fine. Though my general rule is run at native Wii resolution until you get the game working at full speed, then crank it up.

kn1ves24

Is it a problem with stuttering or static? If it's stuttering, then it's probably just a low framerate causing your troubles, in which case try fiddling with your settings to see if you can get up to full speed (maybe try HLE, XAudio2, DX9, 1x internal res). If that fails, maybe try the first few revisions where the games worked perfectly, since older revisions tend to run a bit faster. If the problem is static, that's when LLE is needed. This is all as far as I remember so maybe someone else will be able to tell you more.

As a side note, I believe that audio time stretching is being implemented on the OpenAL audio backend at the moment, so once that's finished it'll hopefully help with smaller stutters. It's in there at the moment but unfortunately it seems to cause quite a bit of slowdown for me.

I don't really keep up with AMD cards, but I'd expect those to be fine. Though my general rule is run at native Wii resolution until you get the game working at full speed, then crank it up.

Its stuttering, and it does happen when the frame rate dips. However if I disable the audio all together the frame rate stays solid.

I will try some of the audio settings you mentioned and maybe go back to am earlier revision of Dolphin.

Hypatia

You've done a superb job!
This is probably the best retexture job I've ever seen. If I didn't know any better I'd have thought you somehow had access to original assets at Nintendo that were made at a higher resolution.
Wow, thank you very much! It's good to know the hard work was worth it =]

Regarding the HUD, don't worry about it! I can always just get the high res HUD, and you've put in enough work as it is..
Are you using the wind waker texture dump from a few months ago (4,420 files) or your own dump?
Because that one doesn't seem to have nearly as many telescopes in it :p

I went and made higher res buttons anyway :) Though no text still, you'd still need the other pack for that.

And no, I've just been playing through the game, dumping all the textures in an area, painting them and then moving onto the next. I didn't know there was already a dump of WW. Do you have a link to it?

Honestly, I had always looked at Wind Wakers textures and thought "Eh, a bit low res but whatever the art style holds up." But now that I've got your pack installed, seeing screenshots side by side with areas your pack improves compared to other sections, god your pack looks fantastic.

Thank you! It's great to hear people actually like it! I was worried I'd made things too similar half the time and WWs already a fantastic looking game so I didn't know if there was much point to it.

If you were to drop a little how to, I'd be glad to help start updating textures myself in areas you haven't reached yet.

I can send you one of the .psd files for one of my more recent textures if you want it. But for environment textures it's basically a case of guessing how the original artist painted the texture (which bits did they paint first? Did they use overlays? etc.) and then attempting the same basic thing. I also like to repeatedly reference the original texture while painting to make sure I haven't strayed too far from it. Character and HUD textures are a lot easier though as they can be mainly done with vectors.

I would definitely appreciate the help though if you were up for it =]

Also your 3D gifs make me really want a 3D monitor ¬_¬

I posted about this problem on the Dolphin issues page ages ago, it seems as though they have figured out what's going on and that the textures are in fact, the same files. Unfortunately, fixing it might also break some other texture packs so... yeah, I dunno what they'll do about that.

I do hope they fix it, Wind Waker is one of the few games that I think would really benefit from a HD texture pack. I actually started working on expanding Benito's pack a while back but completely stopped when I started bumping into the annoying duplication issue, so yeah, I hope you keep going and that a Dolphin dev makes it easier for you.

That's good to know. I don't think I'll bother trying to dump all the relevant item textures though, far too much effort for very little improvement at the moment.

Everything else in WW dumps fine though as far as I can tell though so I'm probably going to keep going :)

Oh and just a little update to the previous pack. It's kinda random in what it updates and is split pretty equally between enemy textures, environment textures, links items and a bunch of effects/particle textures.

I'll update the original link with these textures tomorrow but for now you can download just the update here.

I just tested it using the US AR code with the NTSC Wind Waker

iTFeyy4C3mQlj.gif

Ick... that's not a fix, that's just a code to remove the filter.

The true fix is to put the game into 4:3 (the filter is a fullscreen filter that wasn't designed for widescreen aspect ratios) and set EFB copies to RAM instead of texture.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

The true fix is to put the game into 4:3 (the filter is a fullscreen filter that wasn't designed for widescreen aspect ratios) and set EFB copies to RAM instead of texture.

The heatwave is a lame effect even when it is working like it does on the Gamecube. I'd take widescreen over it any day.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Wow, thank you very much! It's good to know the hard work was worth it =]

I went and made higher res buttons anyway :) Though no text still, you'd still need the other pack for that.

And no, I've just been playing through the game, dumping all the textures in an area, painting them and then moving onto the next. I didn't know there was already a dump of WW. Do you have a link to it?
I'm not sure it's online anymore, but luckily I still had it in my recycle bin. Uploading now in order to share, but since I'm doing this from a mobile connection, it might take a while.

I'll let you know when it's ready ;)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

EDIT: I was thinking of a different setting disregard.

Anyway, I just tested what you said and it either A) doesn't actually fix it, or B) just kinda looks terrible? I don't remember what it was supposed to look like because I haven't played the vanilla game in a while but I really don't think it was supposed to look like that.

Double edit: Okay I guess it does fix it but it does still look pretty terrible.

16:9 > bad heat effect for me.

Seronei

So I may have been working on a WW texture mod. Though before I get anyones hopes up; it's not finished and I don't know if I will finish it because I was only actually planning to do Outset Island.

But I ended up doing pretty much every texture from the start up until the first time you leave the Forsaken Fortress anyway...

I also got bored and did some optional Link and shield textures based on other games in the series and a pixel HUD based on LTTP.

Anywho you can download what I've done so far here.

Do anyone know what I have to do to make this work with the Jp copy of the game? Just changing the ID on the folder doesn't work.

Hypatia

I'm not sure it's online anymore, but luckily I still had it in my recycle bin. Uploading now in order to share, but since I'm doing this from a mobile connection, it might take a while.

I'll let you know when it's ready ;)

Thanks! Really appreciate it =]

Do anyone know what I have to do to make this work with the Jp copy of the game? Just changing the ID on the folder doesn't work.

Yeah no idea sorry, I've been making it for the US version and haven't been able to test the JP version.

If it's anything like the texture packs for N64 games, the individual files are also all labeled via internal title. There is a program (sorry, forget it's name) that will batch rename files for you, just use it to rename all of them to match the japanese title and they should all load then.

Alo81: The reason it looks terrible is that the full screen effect used can't be properly "enhanced" without a lot of work, and it removes accuracy which they are pretty big on. Basically, it's a full screen frame buffer effect, and those settings force it to be emulated accurately, and yes that means low-res.

I'd personally rather have the proper effect then completely remove it. It's only one dungeon anyways, after all.

Seronei

If it's anything like the texture packs for N64 games, the individual files are also all labeled via internal title. There is a program (sorry, forget it's name) that will batch rename files for you, just use it to rename all of them to match the japanese title and they should all load then.

Thanks, got it working. Manually renaming everything will take some time though, I'll look for the program.
Every GZLE01 needs to be changed to GZLJ01 and it seems like it'll work, at least for some stuff didn't get the Wind Waker HD logo though.

Thanks! Really appreciate it =]

Yeah no idea sorry, I've been making it for the US version and haven't been able to test the JP version.

It looks great, I've often skipped HD texture packs because they often look out of place but this one looks fantastic.

bodine1231

I'm trying to play Paper Mario TTYD and while I'm able to run it 60fps 99% of the time,it will occasionally dip to 58fps every now and then. Is there anyway to lock it in at 60 or is there a setting that is doing this? I run a fairly high end PC (i5 3750 w/ gtx 680),no matter what resolution I set it does this.

Also,while I do like the way the main characters look,the backgrounds and textures look awful. It almost makes me want to just play the game on the Gamecube or Wii to hide all the ugliness.

CPCunha

I need help!
I'm trying my best to bring a friend to the Monster Hunter camp...(yeah i'm trying to get him addicted) but he owns no console... so i got him running dolphin and downloaded the MonHun Tri rom (i own both the wii and wiiu versions). Thing is...its running sloooooow...

Any of you guys have the game running smooth on dolphin? would you mind sharing configs with me? Thanks in advance HunterGAF!!

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Thanks, got it working. Manually renaming everything will take some time though, I'll look for the program.
Every GZLE01 needs to be changed to GZLJ01 and it seems like it'll work, at least for some stuff didn't get the Wind Waker HD logo though.

It looks great, I've often skipped HD texture packs because they often look out of place but this one looks fantastic.
Try using IrfanView

Asturie

I have access to an e5-2640 cpu, and was wondering how that cpu might handle Dolphin. I know that the clock speed is pretty low, but would the l2 and l3 cache counteract the low Ghz?

rugioh

Banned
Sorry if this has been asked before, but after pairing my real wiimote to my PC and getting the blue 1P light to show up, my controller isn't being recognized ingame. I've tried disabling the gamecube 1 player controller, pressing alt+f5 multiple times but nothings working... What's the problem? My model of controller is Nintendo RVL-CNT-01.

I have access to an e5-2640 cpu, and was wondering how that cpu might handle Dolphin. I know that the clock speed is pretty low, but would the l2 and l3 cache counteract the low Ghz?

Nope. Additional cache won't aid in emulating with PCSX2 or Dolphin, they just don't make use of heavily cached code.

hlhbk

So is there a guide that will walk you through being able to setup your system to play specific games for Dolphin yet? Every time I try to play LOZ Skyward Sword, Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Xenolade, or anything else I always get stuttering no matter which version of the emulator or settings I use. My specs are as follows:

Intel 2600K
8 GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 570
SSD drive
Win 7 64 bit.

So is there a guide that will walk you through being able to setup your system to play specific games for Dolphin yet? Every time I try to play LOZ Skyward Sword, Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Xenolade, or anything else I always get stuttering no matter which version of the emulator or settings I use. My specs are as follows:

Intel 2600K
8 GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 570
SSD drive
Win 7 64 bit.

Stuttering? That seems like an odd issue to be having on just about every game.

The place to look for specific game fixes is and has always been the official wiki.

http://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Usually gives you any information you may need on special settings or special versions to get the most out of a game.

What is the best version of the emulator to use?

If the wiki doesn't mention one specifically for one reason or another, it's almost always safest to go with the latest stable version. If you're feeling a little adventurous the latest SVN isn't a bad choice either.

My god, Platinum needs to port MadWorld to Wii U STAT, 720p with AA and 60fps and we're golden, this doesn't need better graphics! :O Higher-res/uncompressed textures I guess if they can. But WOW! :O

What's your issue with it? I haven't gotten any problems with it. I've posted some example screenshots in the past if you're curious to see it.

That was at 3200x1800 and holding a firm 30.

GTX 570, i5 2400k, 8gb RAM

Some sections in the game requires more raw power. Like the raining sections. Of course I have a Phenom X4 @ 3.4Ghz. AMD CPU runs worse than Intel ones. Maybe his problem as well.

ninjarr

Neo Member
Loved playing all of these games on my Wii, but I finally have a powerful enough desktop that I think I can emulate everything perfectly -- the question is, which games run flawlessly (if any)? I'd love to play the Zelda or Mario games again jaggifree, but don't want to pay the price with odd bugs...

I had quite a few on and off issues with RE4 as well. First hiccup is the raining which I fixed by turning off something (I'd have to go back through my post history to see what) but it also technically altered the lighting. Ran into more performance problems later that seemed fixed running under OpenGL (and allowed the better lighting). Then more late in the game that I just couldn't fix. The later ones weren't game-breaking at all I was just unhappy with anything but full speed 100% of the time. Amazing looking game at times for sure. HD Texture pack was pretty nice too but it introduced a ton of stuttering for me in large areas so I only ended up using the DualShock button prompts later on.

i7 3770k @ 4.8 for my playthrough. I'll definitely revisit the game on Dolphin in the future. It just looks so nice.

Top Bottom