• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Hypatia

That's awesome, Hypatia!

There should be a play as Tetra mod.
There already is!
tumblr_mmvcxeoGhz1sq0cvdo3_1280.jpg

Hey duder, could you link to your tumblr?

Here ya go

Though it's not just about my WW mod. It is pretty much nothing but Zelda though.

Jawmuncher

Why is setting up controllers on this thing such a pain in the ass?
It seems I just luck out when I get it good to go.
Is there a guide or something i'm missing? thing's just never go as smoothly as they should.

I only try to use official 360 controllers or official wii controller.
Both of which work when they feel like it (My bluetooth is supported on the list).

StevieP

Banned
Doesn't seem to work here. Tried renaming soft_oal.dll to openal32.dll like it said and that resulted in lower audio quality and I can't hear any surround effects.. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Please tell me someone's gotten it to work. What is it, PLIIx support so I can finally hear the surround effects on my 7.1 PCM system instead of be relegated to my front 2 channels?

Please tell me someone's gotten it to work. What is it, PLIIx support so I can finally hear the surround effects on my 7.1 PCM system instead of be relegated to my front 2 channels?

Hmm no, it just seems to decode the normal PLII to 5.1 if the game supports it (change the audio to surround in the game options as well to enable it)

I managed to get surround sound to work on my end! The fix was to enable LLE as it seems to require it (they should add that in the setting description). No need to use the soft_oal.dll either. Sounds great. :)

EDIT: Actually after some fiddling around I found out you need to rename soft_oal.dll to openal32.dll or else the audio won't sound any different whether the PLII decoder is on or off.

Azar

I might be really dense, but I'm trying to turn on the Sync GPU Thread option for Metroid Prime, since it's supposed to fix a graphics glitch, and I can't find the setting anywhere. Dolphin forum threads reference it, but not how to enable/disable it. Anyone point me in the right direction?

dangeROSS

Wow! Nice addition!

I've only ever played Wii Fit once at a friend's house, (don't own it myself) but the benefits of having it as a controller are quite obvious!

You could map it to cover or reload in lightgun games, or even use it in marble madness, monkey ball, etc.

Hell there are probably lots of other creative uses that would make sense.

edit: didn't Shaun White support the BB?
I wonder if it could be made to work with PC games..

There actually is a program out there that lets you use the Balance Board on the PC now. It's called the Wii Balance Walker and was created by a forum goer on the Occulus Rift forums. I tried posting info about it on the Occulus thread here on GAF. I was thinking it would be useful for VR type experiences, or as footpedals for your PC. I hadn't even thought about using it for Dolphin Emulation. Maybe I should try.

I made a couple of videos playing around with it on my PC. All the information about setting it up is included with the videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGrDjBHFBS8&list=PL9qh5xuGtA4JnLnPE7d8wTddkjgb3xle_&index=1

Seronei

Dolphin seems to be having huge problems with Beyond Good & Evil. Crashes when I try to leave the island and hangs for many seconds when taking a picture...

There actually is a program out there that lets you use the Balance Board on the PC now. It's called the Wii Balance Walker and was created by a forum goer on the Occulus Rift forums. I tried posting info about it on the Occulus thread here on GAF. I was thinking it would be useful for VR type experiences, or as footpedals for your PC. I hadn't even thought about using it for Dolphin Emulation. Maybe I should try.

I made a couple of videos playing around with it on my PC. All the information about setting it up is included with the videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGrDjBHFBS8&list=PL9qh5xuGtA4JnLnPE7d8wTddkjgb3xle_&index=1

This is very cool. Going to check this out.

Hmm that heated-air-effect in twilight princess (gamecube) bugs out for me big-time, looks like vertical screentear en masse. Any fix for that, the dolphin wiki doesn't acknowledge that problem

Ashok

Banned
I got a doubt that surfaced in another thread. Are all of the Prime games (both Wii and GC) problematic to run on Dolphin? Can't you make more or less a pinless run begining through end?

Since i've seen so many screens i thought it was resolved.
Haven't played the first two... but I finished Metroid Prime Corruption on my PC with no issues.
I have a Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz and 6GB of RAM with a GTX 570.

Any chance that a 460 GTX could run this passably? Not in 1080p obviously, but maybe 720p?

Also, I'm guessing by this thread that it's ok to discuss emulators on NeoGAF? I was never sure on that point.

Gotchaye

Any chance that a 460 GTX could run this passably? Not in 1080p obviously, but maybe 720p?

Also, I'm guessing by this thread that it's ok to discuss emulators on NeoGAF? I was never sure on that point.

I played Wind Waker and Xenoblade just fine on an i5 760 and GTX 460. 1080p and all. Overclocked both, though. Probably some slowdown with Xenoblade at times, but Wind Waker ran great. And I was pretty clearly CPU-limited.

Shahadan

Your cpu might count as well, but this card is fine. I have that one. Most of the games run fine with it.

The only game I can't play well is DKCR, which doesn't go above 45 fps, but that may be a cpu issue?

I played Wind Waker and Xenoblade just fine on an i5 760 and GTX 460. 1080p and all. Overclocked both, though. Probably some slowdown with Xenoblade at times, but Wind Waker ran great. And I was pretty clearly CPU-limited.

I have an i5 as well, it's quite old and I'm not sure what kind it is. I think it's a 3.4 Ghz 2 core with hyper threading, though. How would that stack up?

Gotchaye

I have an i5 as well, it's quite old and I'm not sure what kind it is. I think it's a 3.4 Ghz 2 core with hyper threading, though. How would that stack up?

You should be able to see what you have by going to System in control panel. On Windows 8 I can search for "system information" and it tells me exactly what sort of processor I have. I imagine you have a 600-series. If it's intended as a desktop processor it may be better than the 760 I was using since the 760 is quad-core and Dolphin only uses 2, I think.

You should be able to see what you have by going to System in control panel. On Windows 8 I can search for "system information" and it tells me exactly what sort of processor I have. I imagine you have a 600-series. If it's intended as a desktop processor it may be better than the 760 I was using since the 760 is quad-core and Dolphin only uses 2, I think.

Oh I would check, I'm just out of town and using my laptop at the moment.

Good to know that Dolphin should work on it, I'll have to try it when I get back. It's such a hassle to get the Gamecube out to play the games I just never bother. Playing them in 720p or 1080p with a 360 controller is the way I want to do it.

Are any of the Guitar Hero or Rock Band games doable in Dolphin? My PC should be up to spec, but I'm wondering if Dolphin is even compatible with any of the Guitar/Drum/Keyboard controllers.

CLBridges

First time ever playing Wind Waker (just started new game) and thanks to Dolphin it looks great. Thanks to Neogaf for this thread, never used this emulator before.

GZLE01-1_zps5630bc9b.png
[/URL][/IMG]

GZLE01-2_zps95bb619a.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Josh7289

If I don't want to homebrew my Wii, are there still any current DVD drives that can read Wii and GameCube games that I could buy?

Josh7289

Sorry for posting again so soon, but holy crap. Twilight Princess looks so good with Skyward Sword textures. God, I love the SS style on Dolphin.

AColdDay

Hey I'm having problems with F Zero GX audio.

I am using Dolphin 3.5-1389 with a i5 2500k CPU, and a Radeon HD 7970. The audio stuttering on some tracks is incredibly distracting (Sand Ocean is particulary bad, and the stuttering is profound during the car selection as well as during the opening race countdown).

Can anybody help me with this?

s_mirage

I am using Dolphin 3.5-1389 with a i5 2500k CPU, and a Radeon HD 7970. The audio stuttering on some tracks is incredibly distracting (Sand Ocean is particulary bad, and the stuttering is profound during the car selection as well as during the opening race countdown).

IIRC F Zero GX is one of a couple of games that need an absolute monster of a system to run right. I think some older builds were better. Check out the official Dolphin forums, there should be more on there.

Neo Child

Banned
these are my specs and i can barely run any games at playable speed:
intel core2 quad q8200 @ 2.33ghz
4gb memory
nvidia geforce gts 250 2gb
windows 7 64 bit

the only games that are playable (that i own) are:
pikmin 2 GC
luigis mansion GC

donkey kong country and nsmbwii run at like 5-10fps its mental. dont even get me started on mario galaxy.

why is this? is my computer just not powerful enough?

ive even went on the dolphin wiki and adjusted the settings for optimal speed.

PGamer

fucking juniors

Unfortunately Dolphin doesn't handle the heat effects on Sand Ocean well and will lag like crazy pretty much regardless of how good your system is. You can disable the effect by turning on Skip EFB Access from CPU but that disables some other effects in the game as well so it's up to you which you would prefer.

There's some more information about the game's issues here: http://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=F-Zero_GX

teiresias

I've been out of the loop lately, can anyone tell me the preferred build of Dolphin to be using nowadays? Are there specific builds suggested for my big three of Wind Waker, Xenoblade, and Metroid Prime or does the latest official work just as well nowadays? (ie. I know people used to use specific builds and compiles of Dolphin for Xenoblade, but not sure it's required now).

I've been out of the loop lately, can anyone tell me the preferred build of Dolphin to be using nowadays? Are there specific builds suggested for my big three of Wind Waker, Xenoblade, and Metroid Prime or does the latest official work just as well nowadays? (ie. I know people used to use specific builds and compiles of Dolphin for Xenoblade, but not sure it's required now).

http://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

If a game doesn't list a specific build, then use the latest build. New releases come out for a reason, and it's not because they are intentionally making things worse :p

Finally got dolphin running on my new PC. I copied my Wii save over and loaded up RE4. I paired the Wiimote through dolphin holding the 1+2 buttons and everything works.

But when I enter a menu or inventory screen, the cursor will randomly move up and down here and there. So, the up/down inputs that are mapped to the d-pad and the nunchuk analog are randomly occuring. I'm pretty sure they don't happen when I'm out of the menu and in the game moving around because I haven't noticed the camera moving around based on that same input.

Any troubleshooting for this?

I'm using Windows 8 and Broadcom drivers for the IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter (GBU521).

Unai

I have a very good PC (i7 2700k, Titan), and I am playing Skyward Sword right now. I've tried other games, but as far as I could notice, there are still lots non game breaking bugs in almost all titles that have to be tweeked in a game by game basis, and in some cases it won't be accurate like SNES and PSX emulation, is that right?

I still have some wii games in my backlog, and I trying to decide if I play them on my Wii U or on the Dolphin.

TUSR

Banned
I have a very good PC (i7 2700k, Titan), and I am playing Skyward Sword right now. I've tried other games, but as far as I could notice, there are still lots non game breaking bugs in almost all titles that have to be tweeked in a game by game basis, and in some cases it won't be accurate like SNES and PSX emulation, is that right?

I still have some wii games in my backlog, and I trying to decide if I play them on my Wii U or on the Dolphin.

Whats the clock speed on your i7?

to get perfect emulation out of Wii games is quite intensive, I dont even think its possible. There is just way too many inaccuracies in timing.

I'm playing RE4 on dolphin. It runs perfectly fine with the framelimit set to "auto" and running at ~30 fps most of the time. But there are certain areas where the fps drops to mid twenties or low twenties. Is this normal? How can I fix this?

I am running the game at 2x native, but it happens even when I lower it to 1x native. I have 3570k @ 4.0 Ghz and a 650 Ti Boost.

Top Bottom