• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Try the most recent official build, 4.0.2, and try using the DX9 backend. Newer revisions have dropped support for DX9 and DX11 is just D3D now.

DX9 works 60FPS 100%, Do I lose alot of detail by switching from DX11 to DX9?

I mean DX9, 1080P, 4XSSA and 16x Anistropic Filtering with 3xNative and I get 60FPS not a single drop.

Dx11, 1080P,2xAA,16xAF,3XNative and Hub world is 45-60(45 near the princess) and 55-60FPS during worlds.

What does DX11 do extra?

Actually Back to DX11 mode and I just enabled Skip EFB Access from CPU hack and now its smooth 60FPS.

paolo11

Hows Skyward Sword on Doplhin? Is it the same level as Xenoblade or is it more demanding?

The Last Story was demanding.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Does Dolphin still crash on SMG when you've collected the Grand stars?

Hows Skyward Sword on Doplhin? Is it the same level as Xenoblade or is it more demanding?

The Last Story was demanding.

SS is actually less demanding. About the only time my system struggles at all is Skyloft at night sometimes. Otherwise it's full speed

FX6300@ 4.2ghz

7870 graphics.

Sentenza

It's the grand star. Everytime. It crashes?
Yeah, that never happened to me?

Unless... Are you referring to this?
Dolphin Hangs Before Credits
Dolphin will hang before the end credits play, refer issue 1170. It is related to the HLE sound plugin. There are two known solution to this problem.
  • Use DSP-LLE (also solves other sound problems, recommended)
  • Disable sound (cannot use Save States, if used the game will freeze upon finishing the level.)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Yeah, that never happened to me?

Unless... Are you referring to this?

No. It's definitely every time just after getting the first grand star boss.

Are you using Windows?

Have you searched the issue tracker for a similar issue?
Yes, the issue existed before, but both proposed fixes don't work.

Game Name?
Super Mario Galaxy 2

Game ID?
SB4P01

What went wrong?
Black screen after obtaining the first Grand Star. Using LLE, or HLE with XAudio2 is supposed to fix it, but it does not.

https://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/issues/detail?id=5984

Gvaz

Banned
DX9 works 60FPS 100%, Do I lose alot of detail by switching from DX11 to DX9?

I mean DX9, 1080P, 4XSSA and 16x Anistropic Filtering with 3xNative and I get 60FPS not a single drop.

Dx11, 1080P,2xAA,16xAF,3XNative and Hub world is 45-60(45 near the princess) and 55-60FPS during worlds.

What does DX11 do extra?

Actually Back to DX11 mode and I just enabled Skip EFB Access from CPU hack and now its smooth 60FPS.

DX11 is more accurate for emulation. DX9 the long and short of it is: it sucks and can't do anything right because it either doesn't have the capability, or you have to hack it in or do weird shit to get it to do exactly what you want. DX11 is just like "you wanna do that? ok"

dx9 is ollllld

Also, if you have a Nvidia GPU, Open GLK works pretty well now.
In some cases it outperforms D3D.
I have a GTX 770 and I find DX9 to perform better than Open GL in 4.0.2 in every game I've tried. It's not as accurate, but if it'll make difference between fullspeed and stuttering I'll take it.

Using the vertex streaming hack just made it worse in some cases, like in Twilight Princess GCN.

DX11 is more accurate for emulation. DX9 the long and short of it is: it sucks and can't do anything right because it either doesn't have the capability, or you have to hack it in or do weird shit to get it to do exactly what you want. DX11 is just like "you wanna do that? ok"

dx9 is ollllld
Basically this. Check this out if you wanna do a little more reading.
https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2013/10/12/d3d9-why-its-not-part-dolphins-future/

Chairhome

Started playing Xenoblade again on an older "dirty" build. Is the official build any better? In any case, I OC'd my Phenom II x4 a tiny bit more and its pretty stable at 30 fps most of the time now, so I'm going to start getting back into the game.

Does anyone know if timesplitters Future Perfect works well on Dolphin? I wanted to try some multi on my PC using either PCSX2 or this.

Not sure why but I remember Donkey Kong Country Returns running perfectly for me before when doing any Internal Resolution size higher. Now I get 45- 60fps most of the time.

My specs should be more then enough. Is there something in the newer builds that make it run bad? Even at the normal internal resolution it still does this. Any other game I play I get 60fps easily.

My specs are

i7 2600k@4.5ghz
Ati Radeon HD 7970
32Gb Ram

I should honestly be fine I'm running on Dolphin 4.0.2. Unless there is a specific version of Dolphin I need to run to play DKCR again.

JakeD

after finally updating to 4.0, my games are all (well not all, but mostly) named incorrectly. for example Mario Galaxy 2 is now Mario Galaxy More

Jelle

Not sure why but I remember Donkey Kong Country Returns running perfectly for me before when doing any Internal Resolution size higher. Now I get 45- 60fps most of the time.

My specs should be more then enough. Is there something in the newer builds that make it run bad? Even at the normal internal resolution it still does this. Any other game I play I get 60fps easily.

My specs are

i7 2600k@4.5ghz
Ati Radeon HD 7970
32Gb Ram

I should honestly be fine I'm running on Dolphin 4.0.2. Unless there is a specific version of Dolphin I need to run to play DKCR again.
Same here with a pc where specs shouldn't really be an issue with this game. I get many instances of frame-stuttering and the audio pops and crackles all the time. I tried the latest build and a special build that still has the DirectX 9 video backend, with various settings.

after finally updating to 4.0, my games are all (well not all, but mostly) named incorrectly. for example Mario Galaxy 2 is now Mario Galaxy More
I think those are internal names, stored on the game discs themselves. Pretty funny names like that are still left in the finished games :)

Sentenza

My Dolphin stop working while I'm playing all the time... can't get 15 minutes without it stop working and shutting down :\
Any more details on the issue?
For what is worth, I can tell you my experience with Dolphin is being remarkably stable for months, across two different systems.

Mesoian

So, I know the microskipping issue for Metroid Prime and Prime 2 is well documented, but has anyone found an actual fix for it? All I can find on the internet is a lot of conjecture and poorly worded solutions which seem to be little more than "just restart it and shut up".

JakeD

ok so SMG2 runs perfectly on DSP HLE, however it crashes after Grand Star levels. the fix for this is to switch to DSP LLE.

however, when i use DSP LLE, i get very poor performance, stuttering audio, etc. (but no crash)...is there a fix for this or do i have to just turn off audio for the grand star levels? i have an i5 3520k, and im using 2.5x res and no AA. LLE performance is poor no matter how low i go with internal res settings.

also possibly related question - should i have left the default DSP ROM files that came with the install? i replaced them with ones i made from my wii (method listed here)

Tizoc

Could someone post impressions of Tales of Symphonia running on Dolphin please?
Are you able to get 60 FPS with no issues?

Garteal

Could someone post impressions of Tales of Symphonia running on Dolphin please?
Are you able to get 60 FPS with no issues?
Yeah. Ever since delroth merged the new-ax-hle branche, you can run the game with HLE instead of LLE. Unless you have an old CPU and/or low clocked CPU, you should be able to run it fine mostly. A lot of crashes, etc have been fixed too.

fertygo

Do Baten Kaitos really need a lot of resource to run well on this?

I'm only get like 15 fps with the screen busy in village/town.

prophecy0

I'm trying to get back into Xenoblade Chronicles. Before, I was using the hacky Xenoblade build of Dolphin 3.5 to play the game, and it was relatively stable. I've since changed HDDs and switched to Windows 8.1. When I tried running my old Dolphin build the audio was completely messed up.

I figured I would go ahead and upgrade to Dolphin 4.0 since the hack is no longer needed for Xenoblade. Now I can't get my custom textures to load propery. In Direct3D mode, the textures are all messed up (see image below). In OpenGL mode I just get a black screen. Is there a good way to make Xenoblade work with custom textures in 4.0, or should I just try and get my 3.5 build to work again?

prophecy0

I figured out how to solve my issue. I had to revert back to a build of Dolphin 4.0 that still included support for Direct3d9. I used 4.0-146 and now everything is working great.

farisr

So I just got a new computer and decided, hey why not look into this Dolphin thing and see how it is. I got a Wii U and some older wii games that I haven't tried, so why not play those Wii games in a higher fidelity, and OMG. This is awesome. Haven't even played the games yet but man what a difference in graphical fidelity in just the test to see whether the emulator will actually run on the comp without any headaches.

Only game I tried running for a bit was Donkey Kong Country Returns but man I think it's going to spoil the Tropical Freeze experience for me or at least it won't seem like a big step up in graphics.

I only have a few wii games I want to play, so just a question for those that have played them. Would Donkey Kong Country Returns, Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Smash Bros be playable without a wiimote? Only ask this because I want to avoid getting a bluetooth adapter and I can't find any place that indicates whether the built in bluetooth I have through the motherboard would be compatible.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
So I just got a new computer and decided, hey why not look into this Dolphin thing and see how it is. I got a Wii U and some older wii games that I haven't tried, so why not play those Wii games in a higher fidelity, and OMG. This is awesome. Haven't even played the games yet but man what a difference in graphical fidelity in just the test to see whether the emulator will actually run on the comp without any headaches.

Only game I tried running for a bit was Donkey Kong Country Returns but man I think it's going to spoil the Tropical Freeze experience for me or at least it won't seem like a big step up in graphics.

I only have a few wii games I want to play, so just a question for those that have played them. Would Donkey Kong Country Returns, Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Smash Bros be playable without a wiimote? Only ask this because I want to avoid getting a bluetooth adapter and I can't find any place that indicates whether the built in bluetooth I have through the motherboard would be compatible.

Yep, all playable without Wii remote.

Galaxy will take some fun control setups but totally doable.

farisr

Yeah but you can just map that to the right stick.

The interesting things are the tilt stuff.

Ah I see. Well I guess I'll try, if it becomes frustrating enough then maybe I'll opt to get a wiimote connected to the computer to play it at that point.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Ah I see. Well I guess I'll try, if it becomes frustrating enough then maybe I'll opt to get a wiimote connected to the computer to play it at that point.

For the most part it should be great (maybe even preferred as you can map spin to a button).

I'd recommend mapping tilt to something like hold LT + right stick or something like that.

JakeD

Yeah but you can just map that to the right stick.

The interesting things are the tilt stuff.

is it possible to set the IR to the right stick without it putting the star aimer thing right in the middle of the screen? basically is there any way to make it auto hide when im not touching the stick?

also can you explain the "hold LT while using stick" for tilt thing? i'm not really seeing how to do that. thanks

farisr

is it possible to set the IR to the right stick without it putting the star aimer thing right in the middle of the screen? basically is there any way to make it auto hide when im not touching the stick?

also can you explain the "hold LT while using stick" for tilt thing? i'm not really seeing how to do that. thanks

Don't know about the tilt just yet, but I spent a good 20 minutes in order to be able to hide the star aimer (and use it whenever I want to as well). I'm using a dualshock 4 so your settings may be different but this is what I did:

IR up, down, left, right = left analog stick up down left right (this is straight forward)

IR hide = !`Button 10``Axis Y-` | `Axis X-` | `Axis X+` | `Axis Y+` (this is one entry)

which translates to !`left analog stick clicked``analog up` | `analog down` | `analog left` | `analog right`

So now if I want to bring up/use the pointer, I keep the analog stick clicked and move it around to be able to see it/use it.

Otherwise, move around the analog stick (unclicked) all you want, no more star pointer to get in your way.

Something may be overdone in these settings, but I'm not gonna touch em, they work and that's all that matters.

ALSO A QUESTION TO THOSE WHO USE IT:

Are the save state slots separate for each game, or are they shared. Like for instance if I saved Mario Galaxy in slot 1, and then I played Donkey Kong Country Returns and did a save state in slot 1 at that point, would that overwrite the mario galaxy save, or would there be a galaxy-savestate1, and dkc-savestate1 separately saved?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Don't know about the tilt just yet, but I spent a good 20 minutes in order to be able to hide the star aimer (and use it whenever I want to as well). I'm using a dualshock 4 so your settings may be different but this is what I did:

IR up, down, left, right = left analog stick up down left right (this is straight forward)

IR hide = !`Button 10``Axis Y-` | `Axis X-` | `Axis X+` | `Axis Y+` (this is one entry)

which translates to !`left analog stick clicked``analog up` | `analog down` | `analog left` | `analog right`

So now if I want to bring up/use the pointer, I keep the analog stick clicked and move it around to be able to see it/use it.

Otherwise, move around the analog stick (unclicked) all you want, no more star pointer to get in your way.

Something may be overdone in these settings, but I'm not gonna touch em, they work and that's all that matters.

ALSO A QUESTION TO THOSE WHO USE IT:

Are the save state slots separate for each game, or are they shared. Like for instance if I saved Mario Galaxy in slot 1, and then I played Donkey Kong Country Returns and did a save state in slot 1 at that point, would that overwrite the mario galaxy save, or would there be a galaxy-savestate1, and dkc-savestate1 separately saved?

Save states should be separate per-game.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I figured out how to solve my issue. I had to revert back to a build of Dolphin 4.0 that still included support for Direct3d9. I used 4.0-146 and now everything is working great.

If there's no way to import custom textures without resorting to D3D9, that should be reported to the developers as D3D9 is no longer supported in future updates of Dolphin, in favor of DX11. Losing the ability to import custom textures would be a major drawback.

Cool. Will try that out when I get to the game.
Another option is playing with KB/mouse, mapping the pointer to the mouse, and mapping wiimote tilt to mouse2+mouse or something similar - this works for a lot of games that don't use all three of Yaw, Pitch and Roll. I do this with some games and it works pretty well (I also usually map the mouse wheel click aka mouse3 to a shake in all three axis when doing this).

For example, something like the above along with WASD, Shift and Ctrl for the nunchuck, Q and E for + and -, and mouse1 and Space for shooting stars and jumping, respectively, could work well enough for most levels of Mario Galaxy 1 or 2, depending on how much you depend on completely analog movement.

edit: another remark, regarding Bluetooth - if you can borrow a Wiimote from a friend it would be best to just test and see if your current BT stack is supported. That would be the ideal case and a lot of the times it works with Dolphin with very little extra effort.
Another option is to download a free software called GlovePie which communicates with Wiimotes via BT as well, and may have support for additional BT stacks that Dolphin does not.

It seems other posters have already figured these out for the most part, using "!+button" in order to hide the pointer, etc, is what most of us do.
regarding tilt, if you open the emulated wiimote configuration window in Dolphin, you can map tilt, shake, and swing, per axis to different KB or gamepad button combinations. You can also do this for the nunchuck via the "extension" window. Right clicking the buttons instead of left clicking them opens up a menu that lets you set up complex combinations such as {(A or B) and (X or Not Y)} etc. Experiment with these to see what you like best, and don't forget to save your configuration when you're finished making it!

onken

Is it just me or does anyone else really struggle with the controls for Timesplitters 2 when using a DS4? Just seems way too fast and if I try to dial it down using Dolphin config then it breaks the diagonals on the sticks for some reason (vertical and horizontal are both fine, but diagonals become unusably slow)

I know this is a fairly niche problem but TS2 is a popular game, surely I can't be the only one?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Is it just me or does anyone else really struggle with the controls for Timesplitters 2 when using a DS4? Just seems way too fast and if I try to dial it down using Dolphin config then it breaks the diagonals on the sticks for some reason (vertical and horizontal are both fine, but diagonals become unusably slow)

I know this is a fairly niche problem but TS2 is a popular game, surely I can't be the only one?

I've done some reading and I think the issue you're experiencing is related to differences between the hardware makeup of the joysticks on your DS4 and what the game and/or Dolphin are expecting.

This site seems like a good technical source on the differences in gate, engagements and restrictors between various joysticks.
http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/restrictors.html

V7GxopN.png
xx7v4XZ.png
wTzOGcI.png

I suggest you read the section titled "8-way", and then try adjusting Dolphin's settings for Square Stick and Circle Stick. Try various levels between 0 and 100 and see which feels best. I think this will adjust the parameter that is bothering you.

I've never done this before myself so I hope this is helpful. Let us know in this thread if you learn anything interesting from it ;)

JakeD

It seems other posters have already figured these out for the most part, using "!+button" in order to hide the pointer, etc, is what most of us do.
regarding tilt, if you open the emulated wiimote configuration window in Dolphin, you can map tilt, shake, and swing, per axis to different KB or gamepad button combinations. You can also do this for the nunchuck via the "extension" window. Right clicking the buttons instead of left clicking them opens up a menu that lets you set up complex combinations such as {(A or B) and (X or Not Y)} etc. Experiment with these to see what you like best, and don't forget to save your configuration when you're finished making it!

thanks!

edit: i've now tried both ways, and i actually think it works a little better without the "hide" button and simply have the IR be tied to the left stick all the time. its surprisingly intuitive and because you're running 90% of the time in galaxy anyway, the cursor is usually off to the side.

greenfish

Banned
Hi!

Is it possible to play fatal frame iv without any wimmote/nunchaku etc, just use the 360 controller?

If so does anyone have a profile for that setu?

Thank You

So, I know the microskipping issue for Metroid Prime and Prime 2 is well documented, but has anyone found an actual fix for it? All I can find on the internet is a lot of conjecture and poorly worded solutions which seem to be little more than "just restart it and shut up".

Truth: no, you will find a lot of the famous games like metroid, mario does NOT run 100% on any machine (I have an i5 3570k 4.5ghz). I've asked on dolphin forums for help, but the answers are usually "it works fine for me" even though everytime you or your friends tries it, that's not the case.

Having stutter like metroid and severe missing features like visor in the 3rd one, both mario galaxy games having severe audio issues+fps drops in my world that's not what i'd call "playable".

if an i5/i7 at 4-5Ghz is having issues, yeah....

Sorry for not being more helpful, but just wanted you to know the truth of some of these "playable" games.

Dolphin is a great emulator, respect the devs hard work, but some of the games are FAR FAR from playable

prophecy0

If there's no way to import custom textures without resorting to D3D9, that should be reported to the developers as D3D9 is no longer supported in future updates of Dolphin, in favor of DX11. Losing the ability to import custom textures would be a major drawback.

I am pretty sure custom textures are supported in the newer builds, but they have to be in a different format or something? One forum post I saw mentioned that they have to be .tga instead of .png. I tried batch converting all of my custom textures using IrfanView but it didn't retain the transparency layer. Using an older version of Dolphin just for Xenoblade ended up being a much quicker/easier solution.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I am pretty sure custom textures are supported in the newer builds, but they have to be in a different format or something? One forum post I saw mentioned that they have to be .tga instead of .png. I tried batch converting all of my custom textures using IrfanView but it didn't retain the transparency layer. Using an older version of Dolphin just for Xenoblade ended up being a much quicker/easier solution.

When exporting textures with D3D9, it exports PNG files.

When exporting textures with D3D11, it exports TGA files.

So the incompatibility comes with that they export differently and as a result, the file names may be different as well.

The two may just be wholly incompatible.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
thanks!

edit: i've now tried both ways, and i actually think it works a little better without the "hide" button and simply have the IR be tied to the left stick all the time. its surprisingly intuitive and because you're running 90% of the time in galaxy anyway, the cursor is usually off to the side.

you're right, my bad. I was thinking about other games like some shooters or Super Paper Mario and Metroid Other M where it's sometimes necessary to have the wiimote facing in a completely different direction from the sensor bar in order to control the game. Hide is essentially like covering the wiimote's camera with your hand or aiming it away from the TV, but in Mario Galaxy it doesn't matter if the wiimote is facing the TV as long as you're not moving it around etc.

Just did some reading on it, since I have custom texture packs for lots of games in Dolphin which are all in PNG, meaning I'd need to convert them to TGA to work with current versions of Dolphin. Apparently some programs such as Irfanview (but also older versions of Photoshop, not sure if they fixed it in newer versions) don't correctly recognise the alpha channel in PNG files, or recognise it differently than they do alpha channels of other formats like TGA. This is essentially a software bug and has nothing to do with the information content not being interchangeable. Gimp should be able to convert your files perfectly fine, and supports batch operations via plugin. I'm sure simpler programs do this too if you don't want to go through the trouble of messing with Gimp just for this one operation. It's probably not worth the trouble doing this now, but I imagine sooner or later there will be other reasons to prefer running the latest version of Dolphin.

farisr

thanks!

I got annoyed with the thing taking up space on the screen and becoming another distraction, in the beginning actually (the first 20-30 minutes or so) I didn't bother looking for a hide option.

Anyways, man I'm glad I waited this long to play the game. Got to play it in really good quality and with a dualshock 4. (Also possibly dodged some compatibility issues that inevitably happen when the program is first released).

Setup some authohotkeys on the computer so I don't need to be near the keyboard at all. Assigned the unused buttons to, escape (so I can exit fullscreen or stop emulation altogether and/or make controller adjustments if needed), Save state, Load state.

For some of the "mini-games" I usually end up creating a new temporary control scheme. Hasn't taken more than 20 seconds yet.

In the start I was like, "okay... this is Mario." 2 hours in I was like "heck yeah, this is Mario!" Such great level design. Also setup in a way that you can pick up and play for a bit if you have a little time. Usually I just go through games to get to the end (ignoring side missions when I can, and unnecessary levels), but due to the varied level design I find myself completing everything. Though there probably will come a time when a challenge shows up that I may not be able to finish.

Anyways, on topic. Dolphin = awesome.

Top Bottom