• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

The map issue in Twilight Princess (GC) is really annoying. If I try to fix it as suggested on dolphin wiki, the framerate goes to 20fps at most (even at 1:1 res). If I don't, I can't see shit on both mini and the full maps. I really wanted to play it, since I stopped playing it on the last dungeon and never got to properly finish this gem. ;_;
Have you tried setting the audio to HLE? Must faster, but the music will be much louder than everything else and certain parts of song will be louder and more pronounced. You can reduce the overall volume of the music with this code which should help a bit.

Code:
NTSC Lower Background Music

044507F4 3F000000
04450818 3F000000
0445083C 3F000000

The only way to get perfect audio is with the demanding LLE, but using this code with HLE is definitely better than just using HLE. It's what I used when I had to spend a large amount of time in Hyrule Field late in the game.

Guys, I have an absolutely trivial problem which is annoying me no end.. Long story short, I decided to try my House of the Dead 2 + 3 disc for some good old fashioned zombie shooting action, only to find that reloading using the mouse is just... horrendous. I can't seem to replicate the 'shake' to reload, and moving off of the screen is just a pain in the ass with a mouse.. Is there any way to create like some sort of short cut which I can map to a button to reload?!

Miker

I can't seem to get Viewtiful Joe to look clean. I have antialiasing on max, anisotrophic filtering as well. Widescreen hack enabled. Internal resolution is auto (windows size), D3D11, fullscreen resolution 1360x768, aspect ratio is force 16:9. Help? First time using dolphin. It still looks all jagged and blurry.

My specs:
FX 6350
R7 260X
8GB RAM
1TB HDD

Hopefully this works (it used to in older version of Dolphin, but they changed the .cfg setup):

To fix the pixelation in Viewtiful Joe, try and right click on the game in Dolphin, go to properties, then Show Defaults (should bring up a config in notepad), then turn realXFB to false or true or 1 or 0 the opposite of whatever it defaults to. I think that's the fix.

Glix

Are you fucking kidding me with this program????

I finally took the plunge and Xenoblade looks fucking jaw droppingly good. Normally I'm a snob about playing on original hardware but I would even say that anyone who has a decent gaming rig would be doing themselves a disservice by playing on the original hardware.

Was super easy and user friendly to get setup, and even mapping my XBOX controller to be a CC pro was a fucking cinch. I have Wiimotes and stuff, but no freaking batteries lol.

Let me just say it again.

HOLY SHIT!

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I finally took the plunge and Xenoblade looks fucking jaw droppingly good. Normally I'm a snob about playing on original hardware but I would even say that anyone who has a decent gaming rig would be doing themselves a disservice by playing on the original hardware.

It's really amazing what a resolution bump can do, isn't it?

Personally, Xenoblade was such a blurry mess on my plasma that I would have had to give up on it sooner or later. I really pity anyone who has to play the game like that and acts like they're getting the superior experience.

Sajjaja

Hopefully this works (it used to in older version of Dolphin, but they changed the .cfg setup):

To fix the pixelation in Viewtiful Joe, try and right click on the game in Dolphin, go to properties, then Show Defaults (should bring up a config in notepad), then turn realXFB to false or true or 1 or 0 the opposite of whatever it defaults to. I think that's the fix.

That worked! Thanks!

Dr. Buni

Have you tried setting the audio to HLE? Must faster, but the music will be much louder than everything else and certain parts of song will be louder and more pronounced. You can reduce the overall volume of the music with this code which should help a bit.

Code:
NTSC Lower Background Music

044507F4 3F000000
04450818 3F000000
0445083C 3F000000

The only way to get perfect audio is with the demanding LLE, but using this code with HLE is definitely better than just using HLE. It's what I used when I had to spend a large amount of time in Hyrule Field late in the game.
The emulator was set to use HLE by default. :/ Thanks for the help, but it seems that I wont be able to play Twilight Princess until I buy a GPU.

The emulator was set to use HLE by default. :/ Thanks for the help, but it seems that I wont be able to play Twilight Princess until I buy a GPU.
Well if you can, try overclocking your CPU, Dolphin is very CPU dependent. A dedicated GPU couldn't hurt though.

I'm sure this has been asked. Can someone point me in the right direction on how to get the triggers to registers the sensitivity you are pressing them?

For example I can't control the water shooter in Mario sunshine properly because dolphin doesn't register how hard I'm pressing the 360 controllers.

Thanks in advance

I'm sure this has been asked. Can someone point me in the right direction on how to get the triggers to registers the sensitivity you are pressing them?

For example I can't control the water shooter in Mario sunshine properly because dolphin doesn't register how hard I'm pressing the 360 controllers.

Thanks in advance

I've had the issue where you can't hold down both triggers or else they will basically cancel each other out because they register as the negative and positive of the same axis.

What I remember doing to solve the issue was to download Xpadder, configure it for the 360 controller, and I think there's a setting that lets you choose a different Axis for the triggers (set one to Z and the other to Y or something like that, as long as it doesn't mess up the analog sticks). Then you can configure dolphin to register those two axis on the different triggers and it should work. I could be totally wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure that's how I got it to work properly.

I had thought that Dolphin had a native fix for that by now, but when I tried configuring my 360 controller for it recently I wasn't able to find one unfortunately. Maybe someone else has a less convoluted fix, though.

Sajjaja

Hey guys, I'm having this problem in Wind Waker where the game would slowdown only in combat. Any ideas?

Also, in Viewtiful Joe, sometimes I get some audio slowdown. What should I tweak?

Jtrizzy

Guys, I have an absolutely trivial problem which is annoying me no end.. Long story short, I decided to try my House of the Dead 2 + 3 disc for some good old fashioned zombie shooting action, only to find that reloading using the mouse is just... horrendous. I can't seem to replicate the 'shake' to reload, and moving off of the screen is just a pain in the ass with a mouse.. Is there any way to create like some sort of short cut which I can map to a button to reload?!

Yeah you can do it. You can map everything. I'm playing Galaxy with a 360 controller. Shake is mapped to the x button, the tilt functions are on the dpad, and pointer on the right stick.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Thanks in advance

I've had the issue where you can't hold down both triggers or else they will basically cancel each other out because they register as the negative and positive of the same axis.

What I remember doing to solve the issue was to download Xpadder, configure it for the 360 controller, and I think there's a setting that lets you choose a different Axis for the triggers (set one to Z and the other to Y or something like that, as long as it doesn't mess up the analog sticks). Then you can configure dolphin to register those two axis on the different triggers and it should work. I could be totally wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure that's how I got it to work properly.

I had thought that Dolphin had a native fix for that by now, but when I tried configuring my 360 controller for it recently I wasn't able to find one unfortunately. Maybe someone else has a less convoluted fix, though.

You shouldn't need XPadder at all.

Bind left trigger and right trigger to left and right analog trigger. Also bind left and right trigger to the normal Left and Right trigger.

Then, set the threshold (something like 80 or 90).

Then, when the trigger is pushed 80 or 90% down, it'll be registered as a full "click" press like you'd have on a Gamecube controller.

Bind left trigger and right trigger to left and right analog trigger. Also bind left and right trigger to the normal Left and Right trigger.

Then, when the trigger is pushed 80 or 90% down, it'll be registered as a full "click" press like you'd have on a Gamecube controller.

Huh, last time I tried that I wasn't able to get Dolphin to register when I had both triggers pressed at the same time.
Maybe I'll try playing around with the settings more tonight.

Anony

can anyone with a 79xx or 78xx card post what their AA options are
this is mine:
xd6I1po.png

kinda confusing since i dont know what type of aa this is and this is the only option available
(goes up to 8 samples and lvl 16)

i'm on x64 of dolphin, so i cant even use sweetfx and fxaa

Yeah you can do it. You can map everything. I'm playing Galaxy with a 360 controller. Shake is mapped to the x button, the tilt functions are on the dpad, and pointer on the right stick.

I've tried to emulate the shake and it seems to work (the crosshair moves around quickly) but it doesn't trigger the reload function in the game... What am I doing wrong?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Huh, last time I tried that I wasn't able to get Dolphin to register when I had both triggers pressed at the same time.
Maybe I'll try playing around with the settings more tonight.

It definitely works.

You can see both my triggers being pressed to different levels independently here.

It works with any range of being pushed.

can anyone with a 79xx or 78xx card post what their AA options are
this is mine:
xd6I1po.png

kinda confusing since i dont know what type of aa this is and this is the only option available
(goes up to 8 samples and lvl 16)

i'm on x64 of dolphin, so i cant even use sweetfx and fxaa

DX11 mode uses MSAA.

Thank u for the quick responses. Will try this out

Jtrizzy

I've tried to emulate the shake and it seems to work (the crosshair moves around quickly) but it doesn't trigger the reload function in the game... What am I doing wrong?

Try this...open Dolphin, click the wiimote icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Click emulated wii mote in the first drop down menu, then click configure right beside it. There will be a drop down menu, select mouse keyboard. Then go over to the shake part and try binding it to your kb. Maybe put all 3 shake tabs as the same button?

Just curious though, why not use some sort of controller?

I tried to use Dolphin to play Skyward Sword (I have the actual disk based game) hoping that I would be able to get the game to work with the 360 controller since IMO the motion controls are game breaking rendering it unplayable in its original state.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get it working as I have learned this is quite difficult to do. Additionally I got a 'warning email' from my service provider advising that I had attempted/committed copyright infringement. It's a great emulator but unfortunately did not pan out the way i had hoped.

Try this...open Dolphin, click the wiimote icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Click emulated wii mote in the first drop down menu, then click configure right beside it. There will be a drop down menu, select mouse keyboard. Then go over to the shake part and try binding it to your kb. Maybe put all 3 shake tabs as the same button?

Just curious though, why not use some sort of controller?

No, tried a key and it still doesn't work, I tried all 3 shake tabs as the same too. It simply doesn't accept it.

I don't want to use a controller because I'm used to playing games like virtua cop and HOTD on PC, using a mouse.. I thought this would be an awesome way to do that with HOTD 2 and 3! I guess not! Surely someone here plays HOTD2+3 this way?!

EDIT - fixed it, i assigned a key to 'HIDE' in the options and that works perfectly.. Awesome!

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I tried to use Dolphin to play Skyward Sword (I have the actual disk based game) hoping that I would be able to get the game to work with the 360 controller since IMO the motion controls are game breaking rendering it unplayable in its original state.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get it working as I have learned this is quite difficult to do. Additionally I got a 'warning email' from my service provider advising that I had attempted/committed copyright infringement. It's a great emulator but unfortunately did not pan out the way i had hoped.

Did you rip the game yourself or download it from a torrent?

K' Dash

I NEED to play Metroid Prime, have the game but don't have a Wii or a Gamecube, so I resorted to this, I tried to play yesterday but it would sutter like crazy in some parts and just freeze for a few seconds wen loading a new area, can anyone tell me how good does this run on Dolphin?

i5 2500K (NOT overclocked)
8GB RAM
Sapphire 7850 2GB

scitek

I NEED to play Metroid Prime, have the game but don't have a Wii or a Gamecube, so I resorted to this, I tried to play yesterday but it would sutter like crazy in some parts and just freeze for a few seconds wen loading a new area, can anyone tell me how good does this run on Dolphin?

i5 2500K (NOT overclocked)
8GB RAM
Sapphire 7850 2GB

Not very well if you don't overclock that 2500k. Get a new cooler before you do, though.

I bought everything to be ready to overclock, never did though :(

This is my cooler:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G1YPH0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I just need a guide on how to overclock my CPU without destrying it.

We live in the future, CPUs don't just die from overclocking unless you're pouring a ton of voltage into them. If you never touch the voltage the worst you can do is make your system unstable till you tweak the frequency to the right level. Mobos automatically turn off if the CPU gets too hot so that's not an issue.

You should be able to get a lot out of the CPU without even touching voltage, and if you haven't OCed a processor before I'd honestly recommend that that be your limit. Save voltage tweaks for when you've run that for awhile and feel like being a little risky, and when you do you do it in small steps with a million monitoring programs up for heat, errors, etc.

gokieks

I bought everything to be ready to overclock, never did though :(

This is my cooler:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G1YPH0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I just need a guide on how to overclock my CPU without destrying it.

Almost all 2500Ks can be OCed to 4.2GHz by literally just going into the BIOS and changing the boost multiplier to 42 with no other changes at all.

More specific instructions really depend on the brand of motherboard you have. But if you just do a Google search for the model range (e.g. ASUS P8Z68 instead of specifically the -V PRO or -V LE) and the terms "overclocking", you should find plenty of resources.

K' Dash

We live in the future, CPUs don't just die from overclocking unless you're pouring a ton of voltage into them. If you never touch the voltage the worst you can do is make your system unstable till you tweak the frequency to the right level. Mobos automatically turn off if the CPU gets too hot so that's not an issue.

You should be able to get a lot out of the CPU without even touching voltage, and if you haven't OCed a processor before I'd honestly recommend that that be your limit. Save voltage tweaks for when you've run that for awhile and feel like being a little risky, and when you do you do it in small steps with a million monitoring programs up for heat, errors, etc.

Almost all 2500Ks can be OCed to 4.2GHz by literally just going into the BIOS and changing the boost multiplier to 42 with no other changes at all.

More specific instructions really depend on the brand of motherboard you have. But if you just do a Google search for the model range (e.g. ASUS P8Z68 instead of specifically the -V PRO or -V LE) and the terms "overclocking", you should find plenty of resources.

Thank you guys, I Overclocked to 4.2GHz but no dice, in Tallon Overworld I get some nasty slowdown and suttering, seems I'll just have to buy an old GC.

Shame, cause it looks DAMN Fine in 1080p with lots of AA, lol.

LilJoka

Thank you guys, I Overclocked to 4.2GHz but no dice, in Tallon Overworld I get some nasty slowdown and suttering, seems I'll just have to buy an old GC.

The metroid games are very intensive, i get slowdowns on a 3770 at 4.2Ghz and a GTX 780. Even on my other machine, 4960x at 4.5Ghz, there are slow downs.

What back end are you using? I find D3D9 the fastest but newer revisions have removed it.

K' Dash

What back end are you using? I find D3D9 the fastest but newer revisions have removed it.

Direct3D11, I'm going to try with D3D9.

Edit: it runs better, but still get the freezing/stuttering when close to a door, no way this is running 60fps, only in very closed enviroments it resembles the perfomance of the Gamecube.

We NEED the HD treatment for these games, they look AMAZING in 1080p and some AA.

Finally figured out how to rip my games. Currently doing Excitebots...Next up is Viewtiful Joe. Then maybe Punchout Wii......ugh, this is exciting. Still haven't connected my Wiimote yet but I'll do it someday.

Edit: I have widescreen hack on, yet F Zero doesn't wanna do widescreen....halp?

News Bot

Banned
Anyone ever tried using SweetFX or programs like RadeonPro to squeeze a little more out of the emulator? Like with SMAA and whatnot.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Does anyone happen to have the original image of the HD Tower of Gods used in the OP? I was using it as my background, but my hard drive crashed, and I can't seem to find it again.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I can't figure out how to set up ENB with Dolphin. I put it where it's supposed to go, but it never shows up at runtime.

Wind Waker looks rediculously crisp with ENB. Posted on Reddit a long time ago:

I'm pretty sure that's SweetFx, not ENB.

I don't think thats it, I could of sworn it was full 1080p.

Edit: Tried cropping it and using it, its not even based off the picture that was posted before.

It's absolutely based off the picture in the OP.

Here is the one in the OP, followed by my lazily resized one.

dolphinthreadtitledjioru.jpg

oFCWUHl.png

I actually even found the dude who posted it.

If that's not the image then you originally had a different one.

Top Bottom