• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

BIGWORM

How does the 360 controller work for that? I'm tempted to switch to that for games that don't require a lot of pointing.

I pretty much have everything mapped to where it's functionable. Wiimote pointing is set on right stick. B is RB. Shake (horizontal) is set to RT. Pretty much self-explanatory mapping after that.

Layd Dly

Seems like Xenoblade runs perfectly now with a new GPU and a Dolphin build specifically for it, time to replay it in HD soon I think

It did crash once already during a cutscene though, hope it's not frequent

I just got all my Dolphin stuff back up and running so i could finish this game after my HTPC crashed. I played the first 14 hours on Wii when it came out and really want to finish it.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Some gifs made out of the emulator footage
iWK0n04CBV6dL.gif
ibggXfyoeIPMM0.gif

iby2hADjm3gics.gif
irtkqCDJqkZlu.gif

and the best gif
iZjtFINdQ9Zx1.gif

impact

Banned
Getting random microstuttering on both DKCR and SMG2 even with both games running at 60fps. Any settings I should check? Running a GTX 760, i5 4670k and 8GB RAM and it happens even when I lower the rendering resolution so I'm not sure what the hell is going on. Happens on both openGL and Direct3D

Vazra

I think those might be stretched bud.

If I use the proper widescreen method the game would have tons of visual errors. Textures would go randomly on the characters and the crowds would pop in randomly. The performance seemed to be alright tho.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Getting random microstuttering on both DKCR and SMG2 even with both games running at 60fps. Any settings I should check? Running a GTX 760, i5 4670k and 8GB RAM and it happens even when I lower the rendering resolution so I'm not sure what the hell is going on. Happens on both openGL and Direct3D

That's CPU not GPU then.

You should go in the DSP settings, set the backend to OpenAL and increase the audio latency to something like 2~. You should get better performance then.

Can I emulate IR pointing in the Wiimote with my mouse? I wonder if Metroid can be played that way :D

edit: to clarify, I mean point with my mouse and use a pad in one hand to simulate a controller with buttons + a pointer.

Can I emulate IR pointing in the Wiimote with my mouse? I wonder if Metroid can be played that way :D

edit: to clarify, I mean point with my mouse and use a pad in one hand to simulate a controller with buttons + a pointer.

I've tried it but it still seems to not work too well. Might have to fiddle with it to get it perfect.

impact

Banned
That's CPU not GPU then.

You should go in the DSP settings, set the backend to OpenAL and increase the audio latency to something like 2~. You should get better performance then.

Still getting some stuttering, though it's maybe not as bad now as it was. Is a 4670k really not enough to run some of these games without stutters? Like I said performance is pretty much the same at 1.5x native and 3-4x native.

Miker

You can definitely emulate IR pointing - I forgot the exact setting, but I think you set Wiimote IR Up to Mouse Cursor Y+ (you'll have to right click for the advanced control settings or whatever), Wiimote IR Down to Mouse Cursor Y-, and so forth. I've done it myself with Sin & Punishment 2, and the mouse control is legit good - it's acceleration free and almost feels as good as a native PC game, imo. If you need the exact settings, PM me and I'll expound later when I get home.

As for playing Metroid with it, I don't think it'll work well because the game uses the bounding box to turn, and isn't completely 1:1 in the way that just aiming at the screen is.

Harro

SweetFx is for DX9, so I don't think it will work with Dolphin any longer since they switched to DX11.
I hope there is a way to switch to DX9, I really want to use Sweet FX with Dolphin 4.

Mario Galaxy run perfectly with my new PC, it's awesome! 4X nativ resolution and it runs at 60 FPS, wow

1396731568-rmgp01-6.png

1396731508-rmgp01-19.png

retexturation test
1396732257-dolphin-2014-04-04-20-02-42-91.png

Now I have another problem, the camera hack (free view) works with Dolphin 4 offical but not with the dev versions (mine is Dolphin-4.0-1344 x64)

I know it's quite random but I remember someone got microstuttering fixed by either disabling or enabling V-Sync in Dolphin. Try to play around with it, hopefully it helps!

Seik

Banned
Will compressing the games to gcz affect the performance of the game or its a safe thing to do?

In my experience I did this with all my library and noticed no difference at all.

It's just turning the ISO to a readable file by dolphin that's the same size as the WBFS file, I think.

Vazra

In my experience I did this with all my library and noticed no difference at all.

It's just turning the ISO to a readable file by dolphin that's the same size as the WBFS file, I think.

Oh boy I have tons of work now with my gc library.
KuGsj.gif

Seik

Banned
Oh boy I have tons of work now with my gc library.
KuGsj.gif

To be honest I don't think it'll change much things with you GC library, this is mainly for Wii ISO files. For example New Super Mario Bros. Wii's size will be 360mb instead of 4.4Gb.

To back up my point, I just tried to compress F-Zero GX and it was 1.24GB instead of 1.35GB. Gamecube discs main problem were their lack of space, so I guess most games takes all the space, While the Wii's DVD had too much space for games like NSBW, MKW, Trauma Center and many other that makes the compression worth it.

It's called compression, but I don't think that's exactly it, since it just create a file as voluminous as what the native game is, getting rid of all the empty space.

Vazra

To be honest I don't think it'll change much things with you GC library, this is mainly for Wii ISO files. For example New Super Mario Bros. Wii's size will be 360mb instead of 4.4Gb.

To back up my point, I just tried to compress F-Zero GX and it was 1.24GB instead of 1.35GB. Gamecube discs main problem were their lack of space, so I guess most games takes all the space, While the Wii's DVD had too much space for games like NSBW, MKW, Trauma Center and many other that makes the compression worth it.

It's called compression, but I don't think that's exactly it, since it just makes the file as big as what the native game is.
Im ok with minor compression. Every mb counts.

Are there more ways to customize the interface btw? I just see button customization but nothing for the lists.

Vazra

For your library you mean?

Options -> Configure -> Paths -> Add -> browse the folder

I know that part but customize the look of the list of games. For example only show banners instead of all the info. Kinda make it look like the grid view from steam or something like it.

PGamer

fucking juniors
I know that part but customize the look of the list of games. For example only show banners instead of all the info. Kinda make it look like the grid view from steam or something like it.

I believe they are working on making Dolphin work with custom frontends so you could do something like that but I wouldn't expect it to be done for a while. Maybe in 5.0.

Vazra

I have one issue Ive been wondering if its only on my end.

I can use my Nvidia 780m on Direct3D9 and Open GL but not on Direct3D11.
Any reasons why? (Currently using Intel HD 4600 on Direct3D11)

PGamer

fucking juniors
Has anyone here tried out the new 337.50 beta GeForce drivers? Apparently they have some Mantle-esque optimizations for CPU constrained games. I've read a couple of posts saying Dolphin gets a noticeable performance increase in DX11 mode with these but I haven't tried it myself.

belmonkey

Has anyone here tried out the new 337.50 beta GeForce drivers? Apparently they have some Mantle-esque optimizations for CPU constrained games. I've read a couple of posts saying Dolphin gets a noticeable performance increase in DX11 mode with these but I haven't tried it myself.

I'm wondering too. In particular I'm wondering if it makes Twilight Princess more playable (specifically Hyrule Field).

BIGWORM

What's more graphically-intense than SMG2? I'm running that smooth at 60FPS. I'll give another game a shot since I've installed those drivers last night.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
What's more graphically-intense than SMG2? I'm running that smooth at 60FPS. I'll give another game a shot since I've installed those drivers last night.

The SMG games are CPU intensive mostly.

Perhaps try out Donkey Kong Country Returns or F-Zero GX.

I'm wondering too. In particular I'm wondering if it makes Twilight Princess more playable (specifically Hyrule Field).
No noticeable difference on my end. Still chugs on Hyrule Field, no difference in Mario Galaxy either. Tested DX9 and DX11.

Specs:
i5 2550k @ 4.5 GHz
GTX 770 4GB

Hente

Is a 3570k at stock good enough to run Xenoblade at full speed? Unfortunately can't OC it because I chose the wrong motherboard.
Going to be going from G2020 to ^.

BIGWORM

The SMG games are CPU intensive mostly.

Perhaps try out Donkey Kong Country Returns or F-Zero GX.

Never had a problem playing DKCR. I'll give F-Zero a go right now.

Just ran a track right now. Forgot the name, though, lol. I never saw a dip under 60 FPS, but I'm on a newer system compared to my old i5 750. Currently running:

i5 4670k @ 4.2
GTX 680
8GB DDR3

Sorry another one of these questions! Would a MacBook Pro late 2013 edition run dolphin? Specifically Galaxy 1&2 and Skyward Sword?
I know it's not a gaming laptop, I only got it recently, absolutely love it but was just wondering what the chances are.
Specs: 16Gb ram, 2.3ghz quad core i7, GeForce 750M 2GB.
Also, will I need to install windows too?
Thanks in advance bros!

Sorry another one of these questions! Would a MacBook Pro late 2013 edition run dolphin? Specifically Galaxy 1&2 and Skyward Sword?
I know it's not a gaming laptop, I only got it recently, absolutely love it but was just wondering what the chances are.
Specs: 16Gb ram, 2.3ghz quad core i7, GeForce 750M 2GB.
Also, will I need to install windows too?
Thanks in advance bros!

If you have it already, why not just try it?

That said, I would say you aren't going to get a lot of love with Wii games on that system... it's a fairly low processor speed.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Does anyone know what causes the video to run choppy even though Dolphin is running at full speed and reporting 60fps? I've been noticing it for awhile and pausing the emulation usually fixes it, but I've been playing some MK Wii online recently and figure pausing will probably disconnect or desync me.

Oemenia

Banned
I have one issue Ive been wondering if its only on my end.

I can use my Nvidia 780m on Direct3D9 and Open GL but not on Direct3D11.
Any reasons why? (Currently using Intel HD 4600 on Direct3D11)
This is a known issue, simply set your OS to run it with your main GPU but set the Graphics option to your IGP.

If you have it already, why not just try it?

That said, I would say you aren't going to get a lot of love with Wii games on that system... it's a fairly low processor speed.
Depends on the processor, they tend to TB to at least 3ghz for two cores.

Pachimari

So I have now ordered a bluetooth dongle, so that I can use my Wii remotes for Dolphin but how do I connect the Wii sensor bar to my computer?

PGamer

fucking juniors
So I have now ordered a bluetooth dongle, so that I can use my Wii remotes for Dolphin but how do I connect the Wii sensor bar to my computer?

You don't. You will either need to buy a wireless sensor bar (this is ideal) or keep your real Wii hooked up close to your PC and have it turned on while you use Dolphin.

Decado

Offhand, does anyone know which version of Dolphin is best for the following games?

New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Super Mario Galaxy 1/2
Wario Land

Also, I played around with getting the a 360 controller to work with motion controls, but is there a comprehensive guide? After my experience with MadWold and steered clear of Zelda and the like because I couldn't quite get it right.

It seems they have made significant fixes to the HLE audio emulation for the Nintendo games that were problematic on it.

Tried Mario Galaxy 2 on a recent build (1386) and the music doesn't stop anymore, it plays properly. :D

Jordoon

So I've been trying to finish Metroid Prime on my Gamecube. I rebought it and some of the classics about 2 years ago, but I have never been able to finish Metroid. Windwaker and Twilight Princess looked good, Mario Sunshine was kind of hard on the eyes, but Prime just looked absolutley terrible (the Gamecube is hooked up to my 32" 2013 1080p Samsung LED, as is my computer). The whole game was a dark and blurry mess.

So I finally decided to try it on Dolphin, and man does this game ever look gorgeous. 60fps doesn't hurt either. Heres some screens I took.

Rest of gallery.

Top Bottom