• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

TSM

For those of you that want to play Zelda Twilight Princess, you are either going to want to use the official 4.0.2 or 4.0-613. 4.0-613 is the last development version before they removed the ZTP hack which fixes a bug in TP that causes the slow down which is most apparent in Hyrule Field. Since the removal of the ZTP hack there isn't a CPU in existence that will give you full speed in Hyrule Field in the post 613 dev releases. The hack is gone for good, so until one of the developers gets around to squashing the problem, ZTP will remain plagued by slowdown problems.

For every other game you are going to want to use the most recent dev build.

For those of you that want to play Zelda Twilight Princess, you are either going to want to use the official 4.0.2 or 4.0-613. 4.0-613 is the last development version before they removed the ZTP hack which fixes a bug in TP that causes the slow down which is most apparent in Hyrule Field. Since the removal of the ZTP hack there isn't a CPU in existence that will give you full speed in Hyrule Field in the post 613 dev releases. The hack is gone for good, so until one of the developers gets around to squashing the problem, ZTP will remain plagued by slowdown problems.

why would they remove something that fixes the bug, what does the hack actually do that is bad for Dolphin?

What about Zack and Wiki? According to the wiki page, one of the fixes becomes ineffective after a certain revision.

https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Zack_&_Wiki:_Quest_for_Barbaros'_Treasure#Graphics

PGamer

fucking juniors
why would they remove something that fixes the bug, what does the hack actually do that is bad for Dolphin?

Speed hacks are the antithesis of accurate emulation. They can introduce new issues, they make the code harder to follow, they make the emulation less accurate, and they can ultimately turn the software into a Frankenstein's monster of various hacks that have been implemented as bandaid solutions. It was pretty much necessary that the ZTP hack would be removed at some point and I guess they decided after 4.0 was the time to do it.

If you want to read more on it there's this thread about the ZTP hack: https://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/issues/detail?id=6875

Hi guys, I know my config is prolly way too week, but some how it seems I'm not reaching 100% cpu use (ok, I don't know if dolphin handles quadcore, but I'm getting 30% cpuload at most, and yes, brand new install, newest gpu drivers, laptop plugged in, power setting set to high perf etc) and weird mobile nvidia gpu load (seems like dolphin is using the intel 4000 integrated cpu, which prolly is the bottleneck here...)

http://i.imgur.com/7X8vvJY.jpg (gpu-z intel4000)
http://i3.minus.com/itwvYWadt5EB6.png (cpu-z, gpu-z nvidia 610m)

what am I doing wrong ?

Jordoon

Anyone know how to have different graphics settings for different games? I mostly just want all my Gamecube games to be configured one way, and all my Wii games to be configured another way. For example right now I play my Gamecube games windowed, forced 4:3, and 3x internal resolution. I want my Wii games to be windowed, 16:9, and 2x internal resolution with different AA setting.

Timeless

Anyone know how to have different graphics settings for different games? I mostly just want all my Gamecube games to be configured one way, and all my Wii games to be configured another way. For example right now I play my Gamecube games windowed, forced 4:3, and 3x internal resolution. I want my Wii games to be windowed, 16:9, and 2x internal resolution with different AA setting.
AFAIK each game generates a specific .ini file. You can change it as needed.

Garteal

Where is the .ini file for each game saved?
By default they are in My Documents/Dolphin Emulator/Game Config

Don't edit them there, but right-click a game in Dolphin instead and click on properties.
In the bottom-left of the window you'll see "Edit Config". Click that. Don't edit the "Show Defaults" configuration. The edit config will override the defaults.
For a list of settings you can set check out this list.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Is it something like this wireless sensor bar I need to play my Wii games?

Yeah that should work. I wasn't sure if you realize this from your earlier post but any Wii sensor bar will work with Dolphin. It's just a bar with two lights, the wire is only a power cable. The main reason people recommend a wireless model is that using the original bar requires you to keep your Wii next to your PC and have the Wii powered on while you use Dolphin.

Volotaire

Is it something like this wireless sensor bar I need to play my Wii games?

You could also use a USB Sensor Bar too. I bought a cheap one off ebay, non branded, but it works. This will probably be more economical useful since those wireless ones are bound to run out batteries , and they use quite a few too.

Yeah that should work. I wasn't sure if you realize this from your earlier post but any Wii sensor bar will work with Dolphin. It's just a bar with two lights, the wire is only a power cable. The main reason people recommend a wireless model is that using the original bar requires you to keep your Wii next to your PC and have the Wii powered on while you use Dolphin.

Yeh, all you need is two infa-red sources at a distance from each other.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
By default they are in My Documents/Dolphin Emulator/Game Config

Don't edit them there, but right-click a game in Dolphin instead and click on properties.
In the bottom-left of the window you'll see "Edit Config". Click that. Don't edit the "Show Defaults" configuration. The edit config will override the defaults.
For a list of settings you can set check out this list.

That is extremely useful information. Thanks Garteal.

Pachimari

Thanks, I'm gonna order a wireless one next month.

Though, I just got a Bluetooth 4.0 dongle, but which drivers do I need to use my Dual Shock 3/4 and Wii U Pro Controller?

mylasthope

Neo Member
Thinking about trying to emulate Super Smash Brawl and Tatsunoko vs Capcom. Are there any issues with local multiplayer this these games? Also, would I be able to use my Wii fight sticks w/ these?

Couldn't find anything in the thread about local multiplayer for either game. I am glad to see that PC-compatible fight sticks will work with Tatsunoko, however. I'm guessing using a mayflash adapter for my Wii fight sticks will work as well, right?

wanders

Has anyone had issues with changing the screen resolution?

When I change the screen resolutions (x2 or even x4) of PSOIII and Gladius they will still display in native resolution. Any ideas whats wrong?

Rainy Dog

Alright, thanks. That is a shame. I am really not feeling like buying a Wii Remote to replay it.

I tried to persevere with a 360 controller but it just wasn't enjoyable. Certain aspects are workable but it constantly loses calibration. Didn't even get through the first dungeon.

Just ordered myself an official Remote Plus to finally play it actually as for what I'd still consider my favourite gaming series of all time it's been in my backlog for too long now.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

When I change the screen resolutions (x2 or even x4) of PSOIII and Gladius they will still display in native resolution. Any ideas whats wrong?
Havent played those games before but did you try playing around with the various frame buffer settings?
Setting EFB to RAM instead of Texture, setting the cache to safe, or changing XFB to virtual, disabling/enabling CPU access, or (this used to be under advanced settings in older versions, not sure if it's still there) selecting "progressive scan"?

Dr. Buni

I tried to persevere with a 360 controller but it just wasn't enjoyable. Certain aspects are workable but it constantly loses calibration. Didn't even get through the first dungeon.

Just ordered myself an official Remote Plus to finally play it actually as for what I'd still consider my favourite gaming series of all time it's been in my backlog for too long now.
Nice, hope you enjoy the game! It is really great, regardless of all the hate it gets by a vocal minority of the fandom.

PGamer

fucking juniors

Are you talking about fullscreen resolution or internal resolution? Fullscreen resolution is the resolution used in fullscreen mode and internal resolution is the resolution the game is rendered at. Generally you want to leave fullscreen resolution as auto and internal resolution to at least as large as your monitor's native resolution.

Lkr

does anyone have any good recommendations for playing brawl on 360 pads? i would buy the gamecube usb adapters if my wavebirds still worked

KHlover

Banned
does anyone have any good recommendations for playing brawl on 360 pads? i would buy the gamecube usb adapters if my wavebirds still worked

Put L and R on LT and RT, Z on RB. I currently use the WiiU Pro Controller and it's very comfortable, since the shape is almost the same as the Xbox360 pad I'd imagine it'll be comfortable on an Xbox360 pad, too.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

I map regular attack to A, special attack to X, the jump buttons to Y and B, grab to RB, and roll/block to LT and RT

At some point, I don't know when, a decision was made by the Dolphin Devs to go all MAME, for accuracy over playability, and quite frankly, it's been a bug ridden POS ever since...I've long given up on it TBH.

Out of the 20 or so games I've tried with it, I've never been able to play through a single one from start to finish without multiple crashes.

PGamer

fucking juniors

https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/guides/recommended-accessories-dolphin/#Bluetooth_Dongle

Not sure if this is considered the best but it's apparently recommended by the Dolphin team.

At some, I don't know when, a decision was made by the Dolphin Devs to go all MAME, for accuracy over playability, and quite frankly, it's been a bug ridden POS ever since...I've long given up on it TBH.

wat

Games play better than ever on Dolphin these days.

At some point, I don't know when, a decision was made by the Dolphin Devs to go all MAME, for accuracy over playability, and quite frankly, it's been a bug ridden POS ever since...I've long given up on it TBH.

Out of the 20 or so games I've tried with it, I've never been able to play through a single one from start to finish without multiple crashes.

What... Dolphin is so much faster and less buggy for me now, it's not even funny.

Seriously.

What... Dolphin is so much faster and less buggy for me now, it's not even funny.

Seriously.

Take one game for example....SSX 3, it still has exactly the same bugs and slowdowns today as it did when I first tried it on Dolphin years ago...nothing has been fixed, same with Soul Calibur II, same with Super Monkeyball, and on and on it goes.

Just seems to me they concentrate on getting a select few Triple A Nintendo franchises to work and forget about everything else, having said that Metroid still runs like shit, with slowdowns all over the place.

Tom_Cody

So I've been trying to finish Metroid Prime on my Gamecube. I rebought it and some of the classics about 2 years ago, but I have never been able to finish Metroid. Windwaker and Twilight Princess looked good, Mario Sunshine was kind of hard on the eyes, but Prime just looked absolutley terrible (the Gamecube is hooked up to my 32" 2013 1080p Samsung LED, as is my computer). The whole game was a dark and blurry mess.

So I finally decided to try it on Dolphin, and man does this game ever look gorgeous. 60fps doesn't hurt either. Heres some screens I took.

ttqg2Qa.png

ojBzOlo.png

Rest of gallery.
Nice.

The various suits in the Prime series look so good. I hope we get alternate costumes in the new Smash.

Ditto the environments. I hope the Wii U version gets a Prime-inspired level.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Take one game for example....SSX 3, it still has exactly the same bugs and slowdowns today as it did when I first tried it on Dolphin years ago...nothing has been fixed, same with Soul Calibur II, same with Super Monkeyball, and on and on it goes.

Just seems to me they concentrate on getting a select few Triple A Nintendo franchises to work and forget about everything else, having said that Metroid still runs like shit, with slowdowns all over the place.

The video playback bug in SSX 3 was just fixed roughly three months ago.

Soulcalibur II has no known bugs and is rated as having perfect emulation. If you are experiencing bugs you should be filing a bug report so the developers can be notified.

The Metroid games have received numerous fixes over the years. In the earlier days of Dolphin they weren't even considered playable. Other M in particular has gotten multiple bug fixes since 4.0.

There's no actual list at that link, just a table of contents page. Am I missing it?

You need to disable Adblock to see the links.

What's currently the best CPU for this? My i3 just does not cut it anymore.

i7-4770K.

Zizbuka

Banned
Searched and didn't see anything.

I've been using Dolphin for a while, just for GC games. Suddenly, any ISO I load I get a popup with "WaveFileWriter - file not open.". I click OK, and everything seems to work fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

One game I really wanted to revisit was Sphinx And The Cursed Mummy, but I can't get it to run. I just get a "Dolphin.exe has stopped working" error. Tried adding it to DPE, but no go. I'm on Windows 8.1.1 64bit.

PGamer

fucking juniors

finalflame

No, not really. Based on the Dolphin CPU benchmark you are looking at a roughly 4% performance increase at stock speeds from a 4670K to a 4770K. OC results might be a bit different.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AunYlOAfGABxdFQ0UzJyTFAxbzZhYWtGcGwySlRFa1E#gid=0

Thanks! I have mine overclocked to 4.2ghz, but it's time to push it harder now that it's in a custom watercooling loop. Unfortunately, I know nothing about overclocking Haswell (just used the default overclock the Asus utility gives), so I'll have to do some reading.

Dolphin is the only application I use that is processor-constrained...well, at least when playing Xenoblade rendered at 4k+.

Garteal

The best CPU you can get for Dolphin is a 4670K. An i7 brings no benefits.
Manually overclock yours. You'll get better OC results and Dolphin performance if you manage to get a higher clock.

The CPU is usually the bottleneck, but you also need an adequate GPU if you want to render at such a high resolution.
What GPU do you have?

finalflame

The best CPU you can get for Dolphin is a 4670K. An i7 brings no benefits.
Manually overclock yours. You'll get better OC results and Dolphin performance if you manage to get a higher clock.

The CPU is usually the bottleneck, but you also need an adequate GPU if you want to render at such a high resolution.
What GPU do you have?

EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC, have it clocked at 1300 core / 1575 mem @ 1.212v, 21 C idle / 55 C load.

What I found during testing was that my ability to run higher resolutions/IQ was, for some reason, directly tied to CPU performance. The game wasn't even utilizing the card at its full potential under stock clocks, floated around 60-70% usage, and setting it to performance mode for Dolphin (forcing max clocks) under nVidia control panel didn't make a difference.

When I did manage to get a 4.4ghz overclock (unstable, I am convinced I wasn't overclocking correctly), the performance in certain areas where the game stutters @ 4.2ghz certainly improved.

So yah...certainly CPU related it seems? I just need a really good Asus/Haswell overclocking guide. Last time I overclocked was in the P4 days, and boy was it easier back then.

Edit: And to clarify, I only have stutters under very specific, extremely graphically intensive scenes. Such as ability animations/heavy combat sequences. I've tested the problem by stating a Chain Attack sequence where it will stutter and be paused at the same time (waiting for input for next move), and then lowering the graphical settings on the fly. The stutter goes away with lower settings.

Also, the area right before Frontier Village is particularly hard on the CPU, it seems. Even if the rest of the game before that is fine, I always have issues/have to lower IQ there. Must have to do with the really dense vegetation or something.

mylasthope

Neo Member
Anyone know what guitar accessories will work with dolphin? I only have one guitar (for the wii), but I'm looking to pick up a second. Will it have to be for the wii or can I get a 360 / ps3 one?

finalflame

Anyone know what guitar accessories will work with dolphin? I only have one guitar (for the wii), but I'm looking to pick up a second. Will it have to be for the wii or can I get a 360 / ps3 one?

My guess is a PS3 one would be your best bet, as it would likely pair via bluetooth as just a PS3 controller, and you could then properly map your buttons in Dolphin. I think the Wii ones do the same thing, but need a Wiimote to be inserted into them.

Do you have a bluetooth adapter currently/do you use Wiimotes with Dolphin?

mylasthope

Neo Member
My guess is a PS3 one would be your best bet, as it would likely pair via bluetooth as just a PS3 controller, and you could then properly map your buttons in Dolphin. I think the Wii ones do the same thing, but need a Wiimote to be inserted into them.

Do you have a bluetooth adapter currently/do you use Wiimotes with Dolphin?

Haven't built my rig yet, but I am reading on installing the Toshiba Bluetooth stack in preparation.

I'll keep an eye for a cheap ps3 guitar then.

On a different note, I bought a mayflash classic controller pro adapter to plug my tatsunoko fightsticks in. Will I even need it or can I just sync up a couple wiimotes and plug the sticks into the wiimotes? I'm still going to keep the mayflash for when I play PC games.

Edit: I've been reading that the Toshiba bluetooth stack isn't compatible with everything. My mobo (Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI) comes with built-in bluetooth, courtesy of the Intel Centrino Wireless 2230. Does anyone know if the the Toshiba bluetooth stack will support it or if I have to buy a compatible dongle?

Top Bottom