• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Speaking of bluetooth, I've been running Dolphin on my gaming laptop for a while using the on board BT with standard Windows stack, and it's good enough for playing with the wiimote for short sessions, but I'd like to have the option to plug in a USB BT antenna that uses the Toshiba stack every now and then, so that I don't have to switch back and forth between different stacks on the same BT antenna (my on board adaptor isn't compatible with the Toshiba stack anyway, and I don't want to have an external BT plugged into my laptop when I'm not using it).

Is doing this as easy as plugging in the external BT adaptor and choosing the Toshiba stack as its driver?

valouris

I've been following this thread for a while, but just now did I see that CPU benchmark list.

I have a X4 955, which puts me just below the Wii CPU time. What does that mean exactly? I run Dolphin at an acceptable (mostly) framerate on some games, with my 7870. Will I see a significant improvement if I overclock my CPU to reach the Wii CPU time?

jamsy

Has anyone tried emulating the Baten Kaitos games on Dolphin?

How do they run? Do the pre-rendered backdrops look terrible upscaled?

mylasthope

Neo Member
Speaking of bluetooth, I've been running Dolphin on my gaming laptop for a while using the on board BT with standard Windows stack, and it's good enough for playing with the wiimote for short sessions, but I'd like to have the option to plug in a USB BT antenna that uses the Toshiba stack every now and then, so that I don't have to switch back and forth between different stacks on the same BT antenna (my on board adaptor isn't compatible with the Toshiba stack anyway, and I don't want to have an external BT plugged into my laptop when I'm not using it).

Is doing this as easy as plugging in the external BT adaptor and choosing the Toshiba stack as its driver?

How do you know that your on-board adapter isn't compatible with the Toshiba stack? Worried that my Intel Centrino 2230 isn't compatible. I saw a guide showing how to force compatibility.

Dmax3901

So I had no problem back in the day using bluetooth for my wiimote etc but I've just tried it up again and can't get it to work.

It gets recognised but it asks for a pairing code?

PGamer

fucking juniors

I'm pretty sure screenshots have been posted in this thread before. I'm not sure I'd say terrible but the backgrounds do suffer in HD as a result of being pre-rendered.

will i see a big diff in i5 3570 vs i5 4660k or whatever the best i5 is?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AunYlOAfGABxdFQ0UzJyTFAxbzZhYWtGcGwySlRFa1E#gid=0

At stock speeds a i5-4670k outperforms the i5-3570k by about 39% in Dolphin. Results may differ if you factor in overclocking.

EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC, have it clocked at 1300 core / 1575 mem @ 1.212v, 21 C idle / 55 C load.

What I found during testing was that my ability to run higher resolutions/IQ was, for some reason, directly tied to CPU performance. The game wasn't even utilizing the card at its full potential under stock clocks, floated around 60-70% usage, and setting it to performance mode for Dolphin (forcing max clocks) under nVidia control panel didn't make a difference.

When I did manage to get a 4.4ghz overclock (unstable, I am convinced I wasn't overclocking correctly), the performance in certain areas where the game stutters @ 4.2ghz certainly improved.

So yah...certainly CPU related it seems? I just need a really good Asus/Haswell overclocking guide. Last time I overclocked was in the P4 days, and boy was it easier back then.

Edit: And to clarify, I only have stutters under very specific, extremely graphically intensive scenes. Such as ability animations/heavy combat sequences. I've tested the problem by stating a Chain Attack sequence where it will stutter and be paused at the same time (waiting for input for next move), and then lowering the graphical settings on the fly. The stutter goes away with lower settings.

Also, the area right before Frontier Village is particularly hard on the CPU, it seems. Even if the rest of the game before that is fine, I always have issues/have to lower IQ there. Must have to do with the really dense vegetation or something.

Let me get your save data and your settings and I'll test it on my computer.

Xenoblade right?

finalflame

Let me get your save data and your settings and I'll test it on my computer.

Xenoblade right?

I'll have to set everything back up and get back to you, I had to format due to some chronic nVidia driver issues a while back and have yet to get Xenoblade set back up. Unfortuantely, that also means I no longer have my save...but I'll get some settings where it causes stuttering and shoot you a PM! And yup, Xenoblade.

Anony

just ran the benchmark:
i5-2500k@stock
A5zDKtR.png
i5-2500k@4.5ghz

found it interesting that it doesn't even max out the cpu, avg cpu load between all 4 cores is like only 50% usage
overclocked cpu isn't even breaking a sweat running at 63c max temp only

Garteal

EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC, have it clocked at 1300 core / 1575 mem @ 1.212v, 21 C idle / 55 C load.

What I found during testing was that my ability to run higher resolutions/IQ was, for some reason, directly tied to CPU performance. The game wasn't even utilizing the card at its full potential under stock clocks, floated around 60-70% usage, and setting it to performance mode for Dolphin (forcing max clocks) under nVidia control panel didn't make a difference.

When I did manage to get a 4.4ghz overclock (unstable, I am convinced I wasn't overclocking correctly), the performance in certain areas where the game stutters @ 4.2ghz certainly improved.

So yah...certainly CPU related it seems?
Had no idea what your GPU was, but that's probably fast enough for the resolution you're trying.
But yes, your CPU is bottlenecking your GPU in this case. Either lower your IR a bit or overclock more.

Edit: And to clarify, I only have stutters under very specific, extremely graphically intensive scenes. Such as ability animations/heavy combat sequences. I've tested the problem by stating a Chain Attack sequence where it will stutter and be paused at the same time (waiting for input for next move), and then lowering the graphical settings on the fly. The stutter goes away with lower settings.
This is probably because of the shader caching. Have you tested with the 'lower' settings from the start? Opening the graphics window overrides whatever was set in the ini with the 'global' settings you have set there.

Also, the area right before Frontier Village is particularly hard on the CPU, it seems. Even if the rest of the game before that is fine, I always have issues/have to lower IQ there. Must have to do with the really dense vegetation or something.
Don't remember this area being very intensive, but then again, I wasn't trying to render this out at 4K+.
What build are you using?

I've been following this thread for a while, but just now did I see that CPU benchmark list.

I have a X4 955, which puts me just below the Wii CPU time. What does that mean exactly? I run Dolphin at an acceptable (mostly) framerate on some games, with my 7870. Will I see a significant improvement if I overclock my CPU to reach the Wii CPU time?
You will definitely see an improvement. Whether it's significant or not depends on the game.

Yes they do and they run well.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Did those new Nvidia drivers help anyone here get performance in dolphin? I think I remember hearing they would do wonders for this?

mylasthope

Neo Member
Anyone have any tips on getting multiple Wii U Pro controllers to work with dolphin? When I sync two of them up using WiinUPro, they appear as two different controller. However, whenever I try to configure them in Dolphin as either a GCPad or an emulated wiimote, I can't get Dolphin to separate the two. They're both "DInput/0/vJoy Device".

Edit: Nvm. got it working. Getting this to work is very unforgiving. If I crash while the controllers are linked via bluetooth, I have to reinstall the stack.

Edit: Wow. I had to do a complete reinstall of Windows. Reinstalling the Toshiba driver didn't fix it. Just going to buy the Mayflash adapter.

zbarron

Does anyone have a AR or Gecko code to halve the speed in Wind Waker? I've been playing it at double speed to get 60fps and it looks much better but the music suffers and a lot of the gameplay becomes awkward at that speed.

L.O.R.D

so, i got a wiimote
and manged to connected to my pc
Nintendo RVL-CNT-01
but it not show on the emulator
when i go to wiimote sittings i can't see the pair option

L.O.R.D

so finally after 2 hours , manged to hook my wiimote to the emulator ( once i turn off the wiimote, i must exit the emulator and Re-add the wiimote to my Bluetooth devices )

but , i feel the control is very hard , also the camera
is it best to use the xbox 360 controller ?
if i use the xbox 360 controller , how i'll mange to collect the stars ?

BIGWORM

so finally after 2 hours , manged to hook my wiimote to the emulator ( once i turn off the wiimote, i must exit the emulator and Re-add the wiimote to my Bluetooth devices )

Stars? Star bits? Are you playing SMG/2? I bound the wiimote pointer to the right stick.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

You can map IR pointer to the right stick.

But assuming you have an IR sensor on top of your screen, the Wii remote should work perfectly.

BIGWORM

You can map IR pointer to the right stick.

But assuming you have an IR sensor on top of your screen, the Wii remote should work perfectly.

I used a wireless IR sensor you can buy from wherever (I believe it was the Nyko brand), it worked with no problems. When you map the Wiimote pointer to the 360's right stick, it'll always snap back to the middle of the screen, so be prepared for that, I guess.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Is the widescreen hack supposed to not work on the OSX version of the emulator? I can't get it to display any kind of widescreen in any of the few games I tried.

orochi91

The newer releases run so terribly on AMD cpus. Will they ever address this?

The old ones run wonderfully well. Yet on the newer versions my 8350 @ 4.8ghz
is being slaughtered. Is there an AMD optimized version of Dolphin?

BIGWORM

I don't believe there's an AMD-optimized version. I don't know all the technical stuff, but Dolphin was designed to run efficiently using Intel processors. This was LITERALLY the main reason I jumped from a FX-8320 to an i5 4670K. My 5 year old i5 750 was getting better framerates than a 8320.

TSM

No they won't. They are focusing on accuracy. The emulator will only use 2 cores and AMD trails far behind Intel when doing this. It's only going to get worse as the accuracy improves.

orochi91

I don't believe there's an AMD-optimized version. I don't know all the technical stuff, but Dolphin was designed to run efficiently using Intel processors. This was LITERALLY the main reason I jumped from a FX-8320 to an i5 4670K. My 5 year old i5 750 was getting better framerates than a 8320.

No they won't. They are focusing on accuracy. The emulator will only use 2 cores and AMD trails far behind Intel when doing this. It's only going to get worse as the accuracy improves.

I suppose I will have to consider an intel CPU for when I upgrade my PC in the future.
Currently I'm using an old 3.0 variant, with everything maxed, plus HD textures at
a solid 30fps; 4x ssaa, 4x IR, 16x AF. (Xenoblade)

Can't figure out xenoblade settings for life of me. Everything is moving at fast forward including audio and video.

In configuration, limit your frame rate to 25 if using the PAL iso or 30 if using the NA
iso.

As the emulation gets better and more accurate the system requirements will increase, this will never change.

Pro

Just updated all my Dolphin configs. For some reason my Dolphin 4.0 directory was auto placed in Documents when I installed it. Can't find a way to point it to a self contained directory on my Media Drive. Is there any way to keep it all self-contained in one directory?

WarpathDC

Played metroid prime gcn last night with a DS4 controller. The audio was very choppy and the frame rate was all over the place but my goodness did it look beautiful in HD. I would pay 100 dollars for a proper HD remake of wii u

Pro

Messing around with Skies of Arcadia. Widescreen hack and crop option for 16:10 ratio.

jkKbZKC7nkqCO.bmp

It plays really well locked at 30 FPS but then randomly drops to 13 FPS as in the shot below. If you pause the emulator and unpause it the frame rate goes back up. Not sure why. Also some of the shadows show up with weird green and red colors.

jWxZUHw6qfTQY.bmp

Still to see it in widescreen is pretty cool. Sound is fine as far as I can tell. Using Dolphin 4.0. If anyone has any suggestions to keep the frame rate up at 30 please share.

Top Bottom