• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

jblank83

Just checked in on Dolphin for the first time in a year. They've made huge improvements in performance.

Punchout runs perfectly now, and that makes me very happy.

zkylon

zkylewd
hey guys, trying to play metroid prime trilogy but can't find a half decent control scheme with a 360 controller

is that even possible or should i just go borrow a wiimote -_-

PGamer

fucking juniors
hey guys, trying to play metroid prime trilogy but can't find a half decent control scheme with a 360 controller

is that even possible or should i just go borrow a wiimote -_-

Does Metroid Prime: Trilogy have an option for using a GameCube controller? If so you should be able to map that to a 360 controller pretty easily.

Quick question guys, what settings are best for Xenoblade for good audio and good perfomance?

I remember the game running great on my i7 2600K@4.5GHZ and GTX 670(SLI) and 8GB DDR3 Ram on Windows 7-Ultimate.

However recently I tried the latest development build of Dolphin with Xenoblade and it is a stuttery mess, with bad audio.

My System:

i7 5820K@4.3GHZ
GTX 970 SLI
16GB DDR4 RAM
Window 8.1 Pro

I think I'm enabling a wrong option, also can Xneoblade be played at 60FPS?

Thanks.

I want to finish it before X releases on Wii U, if I cant get this game to run on PC I'll be playing it on the Wii U in Wii Mode, however that is a last resort.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Quick question guys, what settings are best for Xenoblade for good audio and good perfomance?

I remember the game running great on my i7 2600K@4.5GHZ and GTX 670(SLI) and 8GB DDR3 Ram on Windows 7-Ultimate.

However recently I tried the latest development build of Dolphin with Xenoblade and it is a stuttery mess, with bad audio.

My System:

i7 5820K@4.3GHZ
GTX 970 SLI
16GB DDR4 RAM
Window 8.1 Pro

I'm not sure what the issue is as those specs should be able to handle the game fine, especially if you are using a current development build. Try using OpenGL if you aren't already as the game apparently has a known stuttering issue in D3D.

There are a couple other possible suggestions in here: https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Xenoblade_Chronicles

also can Xneoblade be played at 60FPS?

No.

zkylon

zkylewd
i played xenoblade with a weaker videocard (560gtx) and it ran pretty ok

can't remember my settings tho but it's definitely playable with that rig

Garteal

I think I'm enabling a wrong option, also can Xneoblade be played at 60FPS?
Xenoblade should emulate well and you shouldn't have any audio issues unless you can't maintain 25fps(PAL) or 30fps(NTSC).
What is your IR and AA set to? If you're at 4x with the highest possible AA then try reducing the AA. You also might want to check if your GPU isn't in its power-saving mode when emulating. Force it to max performance if it is.

SerTapTap

Just as a theoretical, is it possible Shaders will ever be fast enough to be properly realtime in Dolphin? My 4770k @ 4.5 Ghz and 6950 still can't crank them out fast enough to play certain areas of Metroid Prime (any number) at 60FPS and it's apparently all due to how Dolphin has to handle shaders. The games run fine downsampled to heck otherwise, so it's definitely not a hardware issue.

Overall Dolphin is quite impressive, but I keep finding just enough performance issues to make games (to me) unplayable compared to the Wii I still have sitting on the shelf. It's still amazing work, hope they get the perf kinks worked out.

BTW, I'm amazed how good Kirby's Epic Yarn looks when run at a high resolution. Textures used in that game are way better than they "should" have been and I'm quite grateful for it. Still has performance hiccups though (when lots of beads are on screen--unsure if that's a shader thing too or what)

Just as a theoretical, is it possible Shaders will ever be fast enough to be properly realtime in Dolphin? My 4770k @ 4.5 Ghz and 6950 still can't crank them out fast enough to play certain areas of Metroid Prime (any number) at 60FPS and it's apparently all due to how Dolphin has to handle shaders. The games run fine downsampled to heck otherwise, so it's definitely not a hardware issue.

Overall Dolphin is quite impressive, but I keep finding just enough performance issues to make games (to me) unplayable compared to the Wii I still have sitting on the shelf. It's still amazing work, hope they get the perf kinks worked out.

BTW, I'm amazed how good Kirby's Epic Yarn looks when run at a high resolution. Textures used in that game are way better than they "should" have been and I'm quite grateful for it. Still has performance hiccups though (when lots of beads are on screen--unsure if that's a shader thing too or what)

Glad to know that Kirby's Epic Yarn issues arent just me, I have the same problem, game runs amazing for the most part but when there are tons of beads, I go down to less than 10 fps, on a stock i7 2600k.

BTW the game looks incredible, also wondering why the assets are so high res.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Shaders are an issue on first run through a game.

My current solution is to just download a version of Dolphin and play my games on that one version without upgrading. Then I can go back to a game and play through it with significantly less stutter.

It would be cool if people recorded their inputs for speedruns, then we could just run the playthrough controls through the emulator at full speed to cache all the shaders.

Foffy

Banned
How well does TLS run on current builds? I played it last year, and while I got mostly solid performance, many places did get major performance drops.

I ran it at 1080p on my over clocked Ivy Bridge at 4.2GHz, if that's any technical reference. I am stating all this because I can not presently test it.

Garteal

Just as a theoretical, is it possible Shaders will ever be fast enough to be properly realtime in Dolphin?
No that's why they have to be generated and once they are generated, you shouldn't get the stutters anymore. That said there are ways to get it to run better such as generating the shaders asynchronously which should smoothen things out. You can give that, along with other features such as predictive FIFO (for better resource usage and loading times) a try with the unofficial Ishiiruka builds. Ishiiruka is not supported by the main dev team and thus any issues or what not you might have might have been fixed in the master branche. Tino does merge the master branch every now and then so don't expect to be up to date all the time.

Oh and since Ishiiruuka is a branch that tries to keep and improve the D3D9 back-end, you might get better performance unless it's a JIT issue that hasn't been merged yet.

Grab the builds from this thread.

My 4770k @ 4.5 Ghz and 6950 still can't crank them out fast enough to play certain areas of Metroid Prime (any number) at 60FPS and it's apparently all due to how Dolphin has to handle shaders.
The generation of shaders only causes stuttering once until it's all generated. If you can't run Prime at 60FPS at whatever area, then it's either a CPU or GPU bottleneck. Then again, I believe Metroid is forced to run with EFB to RAM for compatibility which is slower. You can set it to Texture (open the back-end options and set it to Texture if not already in-game) and get a little performance boost.

How well does TLS run on current builds? I played it last year, and while I got mostly solid performance, many places did get major performance drops.

I ran it at 1080p on my over clocked Ivy Bridge at 4.2GHz, if that's any technical reference. I am stating all this because I can not presently test it.
We just talked about this right up there. In short: it runs really well (no crashes) and you should get good performance.

Foffy

Banned
Ah, sorry!

Assuming that gets solid performance, does the same hold true for most games that the emulator can play without issue? I still remember the days that certain games needed certain builds, and TLS was one of the few I remember that had this.

SerTapTap

My current solution is to just download a version of Dolphin and play my games on that one version without upgrading. Then I can go back to a game and play through it with significantly less stutter.

It would be cool if people recorded their inputs for speedruns, then we could just run the playthrough controls through the emulator at full speed to cache all the shaders.

Shader lag in Metroid Prime 2 doesn't seem to ever get any better, same rooms and enemies lag every time. Is there some sort of caching option I'm not aware of? If you can cache them it seems like they should be able to make some sort of downloadable fix per-game with all the shaders.

Glad to know that Kirby's Epic Yarn issues arent just me, I have the same problem, game runs amazing for the most part but when there are tons of beads, I go down to less than 10 fps, on a stock i7 2600k.

BTW the game looks incredible, also wondering why the assets are so high res.

When you have an issue in dolphin first thing you should do is check the dolphin wiki page for the game--the main menu of Dolphin even calls out some issues. Almost every time I've had a performance issue I've found it's a consistent problem w dolphin rather than my machine, or it's some settings I need to change (this is usually but not always addressed by auto-applied game fixes).

Unfortunately MP has a number of currently unsolvable issues, not really fatal but it results in something I can't really play for long either. I have bad luck because almost every game I've tried has something like this, though there are other games that are practically perfect. ToS for example has some super weird fake depth-of-field effect that looks awful in > Native res, but the "fix" to remove it is really hacky and messes up other stuff.

No that's why they have to be generated and once they are generated, you shouldn't get the stutters anymore. That said there are ways to get it to run better such as generating the shaders asynchronously which should smoothen things out. You can give that, along with other features such as predictive FIFO (for better resource usage and loading times) a try with the unofficial Ishiiruka builds. Ishiiruka is not supported by the main dev team and thus any issues or what not you might have might have been fixed in the master branche. Tino does merge the master branch every now and then so don't expect to be up to date all the time.

Oh and since Ishiiruuka is a branch that tries to keep and improve the D3D9 back-end, you might get better performance unless it's a JIT issue that hasn't been merged yet.

Grab the builds from this thread.

The generation of shaders only causes stuttering once until it's all generated. If you can't run Prime at 60FPS at whatever area, then it's either a CPU or GPU bottleneck. Then again, I believe Metroid is forced to run with EFB to RAM for compatibility which is slower. You can set it to Texture (open the back-end options and set it to Texture if not already in-game) and get a little performance boost.

Huh. It definitely doesn't let up in some areas or in the presence of some enemies (Hunter Ing are lag city), not sure what else it would be though because setting the game down to native res and no AA has absolutely no effect on the lag.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

Shader lag in Metroid Prime 2 doesn't seem to ever get any better, same rooms and enemies lag every time. Is there some sort of caching option I'm not aware of? If you can cache them it seems like they should be able to make some sort of downloadable fix per-game with all the shaders.

Have you tried out this unofficial branch?

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-unofficial-testing-needed-ishiiruka-dolphin

edit: beaten by Garteal

Garteal

Ah, sorry!

Assuming that gets solid performance, does the same hold true for most games that the emulator can play without issue? I still remember the days that certain games needed certain builds, and TLS was one of the few I remember that had this.
You should get better performance in games that were CPU heavy due to the optimization spree by Fiora. If you want to see some numbers, the Dolphin contributors have done some benchmarks and you can find those on the website under the monthly Dolphin reports.
As for requiring specific builds; atleast in The Last Story's case, it was either due to people getting much better performance from an ancient build or because a WiP build fixed the missing clothing/armor issue. Once that was merged to master there was only the occasional crash left which got fixed a while ago. So honestly, the latest development build is your best bet. No need for a specific build.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hmmmm, side by side 3d support in that build? I know what I'm messing with this week.

I use 3D vision, but Dolphins 3D support is fantastic.

You can find a bunch of example 3D screenshots in my Sta.sh here.

pokemon_battle_revolution_by_aloo81-d7tj8ze.jpg

dolphin008_by_aloo81-d7n1not.jpg

Foffy

Banned
Trying to run any game on the latest revision of Dolphin (4.0-3764) strangely has the games running at 1 fps for me.

Anyone have any idea why this is? Is there a setting added to these recent dev builds that has to be toggled or something? Vanilla 4.0.2 has none of this as an issue...

I have literally touched nothing.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Trying to run any game on the latest revision of Dolphin (4.0-3764) strangely has the games running at 1 fps for me.

Anyone have any idea why this is? Is there a setting added to these recent dev builds that has to be toggled or something? Vanilla 4.0.2 has none of this as an issue...

I have literally touched nothing.

Just tried 4.0-3764 and it seems to be working fine for me. Do you have interpreter enabled by accident maybe?

moniker

Wow, this emulator really has come a long way. I recently played through Donkey Kong Country Returns at 60 fps on my laptop. Good stuff.

Decado

Where can I find) the best setups for Wii remote games like NSMB or MadWorld on 360 controllers? I stopped playing for a bit and now I can't figure out my control configs. Something doesn't seem right.

Garteal

Dolphin Progress Report: October 2014 is here and along with it are some notable changes such as:

4.0-3471 - Support Higher Internal Resolutions
4.0-3473 - Fix MMU Loads/Stores that cross page boundaries
4.0-3543 - Fix GCI Folders with Greater Than 127 Files
4.0-3595 - Proper Audio and Video Dumping
4.0-3610 - Reimplement Bounding Box Emulation via Software Fallback
4.0-3631 - Remove the MMU speedhack option
4.0-3633 - MMU: Option to Disable BAT Resolution
4.0-3644 - D3D: Fix XFB Scaling
4.0-3669 - Correct the physical memory access to MEM2 via the MMU
4.0-3673 - Hash: unroll CRC loop (performance increase!)
4.0-3681 - Cache D3D State (performance increase!)
4.0-3743 - DSP-HLE: Clamp AX Volume
4.0-3748 - D3D: Enable Depth Clipping

And some charts since we all love them.
Fasterhash.svg

D3DState.svg

Check out the report itself for in-depth information for each mentioned change and as always, use the latest development version!

PGamer

fucking juniors
eternal darkness have this audio crackling always, even in the latest svn sob. Maybe one day they will fix it!

Do you mean the latest git revision? They haven't used SVN for a long time. If you did in fact download a SVN build it is extremely out of date.

Decado

Trying Super Mario Galaxy in 3D Vision. Looks quite nice, but I'm still playing around to get goo performance/vq.

Does anyone know a way to use save states with the game and does the regular in-game saves work OK in this game?

Also, any way to make the pointer 3D or at depth?

Using 4.02

Rich!

Trying Super Mario Galaxy in 3D Vision. Looks quite nice, but I'm still playing around to get goo performance/vq.

Does anyone know a way to use save states with the game and does the regular in-game saves work OK in this game?

Also, any way to make the pointer 3D or at depth?

Using 4.02

uh

why are you using a version that's almost two years out of date?

https://dolphin-emu.org/download/

use the newest x64 version from there. Currently, it's this release thats the newest. Released two hours ago.

Decado

Do you mean the last "stable" release?
Don't. It's completely obsolete at this point.

OK. Does the newer dev releases do anything to 3D Vision support?

It has been a while since I switch versions...after installing, is there an easy way to move settings and whatnot over to the new version?

There is a 3966 version now. I'll grab that.

Sentenza

No idea since I don't make use of it. But generally speaking the amount of improvements and performance increases above the version you are using should be massive.

after installing, is there an easy way to move settings and whatnot over to the new version?

Just download a new version and overwrite it over the folder of the previous one.
It will replace all the files that need replacements while keeping all the user-generated ones (ISO images, saves, settings, etc).

luca_29_bg

Do you mean the latest git revision? They haven't used SVN for a long time. If you did in fact download a SVN build it is extremely out of date.

Yes i mean the latest git revision! The game has audio crackling in hle and lle. Nothing works, but on wiki no one talk about this problem. 😔

PGamer

fucking juniors
There doesn't seem to be a DX9 option option 3D Vision option any more. Need to read up on this version.

They removed the DX9 backend quite a while ago. I believe you need to use the updated D3D backend now for stereoscopic 3D.

Yes i mean the latest git revision! The game has audio crackling in hle and lle. Nothing works, but on wiki no one talk about this problem. ��

Is the game running at fullspeed?

Decado

No idea since I don't make use of it. But generally speaking the amount of improvements and performance increases above the version you are using should be massive.

Seems to have some improvement, but I can't seem to alter convergence and get the pointer at depth. Also some screen tearing now, but v-sync may help that. Save states now work, though.

Too bad save states don't work across revisions. Need to keep that in mind.

Garteal

There doesn't seem to be a DX9 option option 3D Vision option any more. Need to read up on this version.
Because D3D9 was removed for several reasons. At the moment however there is a stereoscopic 3D build for OpenGL available on the forums. It does not support 3D Vision and won't until this gets ported to D3D.
Keep in mind that it's a WIP and any feedback, bugs or anything you have is appreciated.
From the thread said:
Currently the Side-by-Side, Top-and-Bottom and Anaglyph stereoscopy modes are supported so it should work with most 3D TVs. Nvidia 3D Vision is not yet supported until this feature is ported to D3D.

You can try the build mentioned in this post if you're having issues. Just keep in mind that it is in no way an official Dolphin build and you may experience issues solved in the main (development) builds.

Too bad save states don't work across revisions. Need to keep that in mind.
Yes and they also don't work between different audio back-ends (HLE and LLE), so try to always keep your save games up to date.

Decado

Because D3D9 was removed for several reasons and no one really bothered to implement it into the D3D or OpenGL back-end... well... until now. Kinda. At the moment there is a stereoscopic 3D build for OpenGL available on the forums. It does not support 3D Vision and won't until someone ports it over to the new back-end.
Keep in mind that it's a WIP and any feedback, bugs or anything you have is appreciated.

3D vision works. At least with SMG. I just can't seem to get the pointer at depth. Not exactly an uncommon problem with 3D Vision, sadly. Once you see it, it is hard to go back...but the pointer makes it a bit awkward. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a solution out there somewhere...but it is often hard to find!

PGamer

fucking juniors
Never heard of it.

Looked it up and can't seem to find an official site for it. Just a forum post. Doesn't look like it would help.

It's a Dolphin fork. As far as I know it doesn't have an official site aside from a GitHub page.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

It has been a while since I switch versions...after installing, is there an easy way to move settings and whatnot over to the new version?

There is a 3966 version now. I'll grab that.

The latest versions just support it natively. Make sure borderless windowed is disabled and enable 3D vision in your drivers.

Super Mario Galaxy looks phenomenal in 3D. I've taken a ton of screenshots showing off 3D in certain Dolphin games.

You can see a bunch of game examples on my sta.sh here

http://sta.sh/22bqnhxh1nl0

Just a bunch of screenshots showing off how 3D is in some games. shows examples of it looking poor, as well as some fantastic ones.

Rich!

Hey guys, I want to try my hands on dolphin, but I only have is i5 3450 for CPU. Would it be ok to try it at 720p?

It would perform the same as in 1080p, really.

For dolphin, CPU is tied to speed and performance and your GPU is the limiting factor in resolution.

If a game doesnt run in 1080p on dolphin on your PC, it likely wont run better in even 480p

Obviously I'm simplifying it, but thats the gist of it

Decado

The latest versions just support it natively. Make sure borderless windowed is disabled and enable 3D vision in your drivers.

Super Mario Galaxy looks phenomenal in 3D. I've taken a ton of screenshots showing off 3D in certain Dolphin games.

You can see a bunch of game examples on my sta.sh here

http://sta.sh/22bqnhxh1nl0

Just a bunch of screenshots showing off how 3D is in some games. shows examples of it looking poor, as well as some fantastic ones.

It does look really good, but how do you get the pointer (star thingy) to be a proper depth?

Top Bottom