• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Volotaire

How is Metroid Prime 1 and 2 on a dualshock?

I can't say, but you will be using 1 stick for aiming since aiming and movement is based on 1 stick. I could imagine the 'slide your fingers off' triggers might be slightly annoying given how integral the scanning and aiming is in this game with the L trigger. D-pad and other stick will be weapon/visor selection so that won't matter too much. The only other thing the gamecube controller might offer better is how the size of the face buttons correspond to the importance of the buttons in game, such as A for shoot being large.

I can't believe it! Thanks to my new laptop with its i5 4210U I can play all my favorite Gamecube games in 2K resolution! Currently I play Paper Mario TTYD, F-Zero GX, Twilight Princess, Mario Kart Double Dash, Sunshine, Metroid Prime and Luigis Mansion in gorgeous quality and never drops below 60 FPS.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
It does look really good, but how do you get the pointer (star thingy) to be a proper depth?

All UI elements are at screen depth. I don't know if you play with a real Wii remote or a 360 controller, but if the issue is that the pointer is ALWAYS on the screen because you're using a controller, you can actually set it up to toggle with a button.

I have it currently set up that the right stick controls the pointer, and that it only shows up when I'm holding down the left trigger.

jett

D-Member
I wish the SMG games weren't prone to crashing when you enable DSPLLE on a separate thread. Without that shit they just suffer slowdown and microstuttering even on a 4670K.

How is Metroid Prime 1 and 2 on a dualshock?

Perfectly fine. BTW I've only recently noticed that the Prime games have a horrendously low FOV.

Rich!

Perfectly fine. BTW I've only recently noticed that the Prime games have a horrendously low FOV.

ah but you can fix that. I took these:

iHY4pzmkESCe2.png

alas, it doesn't render outside of the 4:3 area properly in some areas. all we need is a gameshark code like what Twilight Princess has to extend the rendering boundaries and it'll be amazing

SerTapTap

It's a first person game in 4:3, of course it does. You can widescreen-hack it, but enemies and shit stop rendering outside the 4:3 window so I can't particularly recommend it.

Garteal

I wish the SMG games weren't prone to crashing when you enable DSPLLE on a separate thread. Without that shit they just suffer slowdown and microstuttering even on a 4670K.
That's because it's a Zelda ucode game which crash randomly with LLE on thread enabled.
In case you didn't know HLE works fine with the game since some time ago, but the sound levels aren't accurate (louder than LLE), but if you can live with it you gain some performance.

What build are you using and where exactly are you suffering slowdown and microstuttering?

Any tips for making FF crystal chronicles (GC) look at its best?
Raise the IR, always max out AF and add AA if your hardware can take it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
ah but you can fix that. I took these:

alas, it doesn't render outside of the 4:3 area properly in some areas. all we need is a gameshark code like what Twilight Princess has to extend the rendering boundaries and it'll be amazing

The culling effect on the screen edges in 16:9 with the hack is just too distracting to make it worthwhile.

jett

D-Member
Yeah widescreen hacking MP is just not viable.

That's because it's a Zelda ucode game which crash randomly with LLE on thread enabled.
In case you didn't know HLE works fine with the game since some time ago, but the sound levels aren't accurate (louder than LLE), but if you can live with it you gain some performance.

What build are you using and where exactly are you suffering slowdown and microstuttering?

Raise the IR, always max out AF and add AA if your hardware can take it.

2704. Yeah I tried HLE but I just couldn't deal with the screwed up volume. The slowdown was pretty much everywhere really, but it's particularly bad when you get "transported" to those areas where you kill enemies for three 1UPs. I'm just dealing with the random freezing with save states. :p

SerTapTap

Do we have an ETA on when they plan to make a new stable release? The updates in dev are great but I keep finding weird issues when I use latest dev build. And they still aren't quite stable enough to run the stuff I tried--Epic Yarn and Prime still stutter when certain effects are on screen. Definitely some great performance gains though. Amazing how much better Dolphin is than Project 64 at emulating/enhancing it's hardware target.

Internal res change sounds great--I'd prefer even higher internal res for downsampling over their AA solution.

Any tips for making FF crystal chronicles (GC) look at its best?

The gamefix overrides will usually make a game look/work fine out of the box, just ramp AA, AF and Internal Resolution as high as you can while getting stable performance and you're generally good in all games. Only a few games are oddities, like ToS with it's weird fake DOF that looks terrible at > native resolution.

You can try Widescreen Hack, but it works very inconsistently and it's very common for games to stop rendering stuff outside the 4:3 window.

Garteal

2704. Yeah I tried HLE but I just couldn't deal with the screwed up volume. The slowdown was pretty much everywhere really, but it's particularly bad when you get "transported" to those areas where you kill enemies for three 1UPs. I'm just dealing with the random freezing with save states. :p
Can't reproduce. I've just played two levels from the first two galaxies (yeah they aren't too demanding but you said everywhere?) and once the shader caching was done, it was pretty much a smooth ride. I was just using LLE though (not on thread) using the latest dev build (4053). If you haven't already try the latest dev build as there have been a lot of changes since 2704. Oh and when you change builds, Dolphin will automatically flush your shader cache if needed and they will be generated again.

Jelle

Great DKCR shots. Is this game playable without any audio hiccups/drops? That's what pestered my previous attempts some months ago.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I believe you can set the audio backend to OpenAL and increase the sound buffer to help relieve audio crackle as well. I usually set it to about 2.

Garteal

Just to clear up some potential confusion, here's how to set up higher IRs from the ini:

Navigate to your Config directory in the Dolphin settings directory which, by default, is located in Documents unless you've customized obviously and open up the ini for whatever back-end you want to use.
If you can't find it read the FAQ on how what the global user directory is and how to customize it here.

Now unto actually raising it; it works like this from 4xIR and above. The IR you're setting in the ini isn't the actual value you want to set as you might've noticed. Meaning you don't set EFBScale = 4 if you want 4xIR, but instead, if you want 4xIR, you'll put EFBScale = 7 and from hereon out, it's doing some simple math to determine at what IR you're at. You simply remove 3 from the scale (7-3=4xIR) to find out the IR.

(0 to 6 is for every option in the IR dropbox such as auto up to 4xIR. Setting a higher IR from the ini adds "Custom" to the dropbox)
4xIR = EFBScale = 7
5xIR = EFBScale = 8
6xIR = EFBScale = 9
7xIR = EFBScale = 10
etc...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Also, something is going on with the Boss in this shot, it looks like he's being rendered to a sprite, the same way DK is, except there's some kind of glitch with how his sprite is displaying.

Are you referring to the stuff around his mouth? It's just a low resolution alpha. I don't see anything wrong with his character model. It doesn't look like the same kind of rendering that is done to DK himself.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Are you referring to the stuff around his mouth? It's just a low resolution alpha. I don't see anything wrong with his character model. It doesn't look like the same kind of rendering that is done to DK himself.

It may not be the same as what's done with player characters, I was just reminded of that when I noticed the boss character. Clearly visible is a duplicate of his tongue, mouth, teeth and some saliva drops that look like they're being rendered at a lower resolution to a flat surface behind the boss. I assumed the rest of him was also being rendered but it was obscured.

It stood out to me as something I haven't seen before and looked out of place, but maybe it's normal for the game to do this and it only becomes visible because of the upscaling. I don't understand why it would be in a lower resolution than the character itself, but maybe that makes sense to someone who understands Dolphin better.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
That's a great example video.

I was upset about the new HLE for a bit when I realized that you can't emulate SSBB at 120fps without audio going wonky, but honestly all the huge improvements are worth it.

Reading that article gave me a much bigger appreciation for the benefits of that rewrite. It fixed a lot more than just Super Mario Galaxy :p

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It may not be the same as what's done with player characters, I was just reminded of that when I noticed the boss character. Clearly visible is a duplicate of his tongue, mouth, teeth and some saliva drops that look like they're being rendered at a lower resolution to a flat surface behind the boss. I assumed the rest of him was also being rendered but it was obscured.

It stood out to me as something I haven't seen before and looked out of place, but maybe it's normal for the game to do this and it only becomes visible because of the upscaling. I don't understand why it would be in a lower resolution than the character itself, but maybe that makes sense to someone who understands Dolphin better.

It's not part of the character model, which is a normal 3D model. His is creating a distortion effect in the air with his roar and that effect is a low resolution alpha.

Jelle

I had the sound get crackly once, but restarting Dolphin fixed it.

I believe you can set the audio backend to OpenAL and increase the sound buffer to help relieve audio crackle as well. I usually set it to about 2.

Great! I fired it up yesterday and can easily run at 7x native with no hiccups, apart from maybe a few when loading a level. I had to disable the VBeam Speed Hack to get proper 60fps. I also switched to OpenAL audio with a latency of 3.

Amazing to see all of the many hidden details in DKCR's graphics!

Decado

All UI elements are at screen depth. I don't know if you play with a real Wii remote or a 360 controller, but if the issue is that the pointer is ALWAYS on the screen because you're using a controller, you can actually set it up to toggle with a button.

I have it currently set up that the right stick controls the pointer, and that it only shows up when I'm holding down the left trigger.

Missed this post. Yes, with a 360 controller. How do you make the pointer only show up when holding the left trigger?

Also, do you find the camera flips around a lot (upside down etc.)? Is that normal?

artsi

I just got a new processor (4790K) and The Last Story still doesn't run good with the latest builds. Any specific build I should try, or is it just so bad?

Daedardus

Finally built my new PC and got Dolphin running. With the latest developments and a beefier cpu, Xenoblade runs smooth as butter with all option set to highest and the HD texture pack. It looks great too. Time to rip Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword too, I guess. Replaying them will be great! :)

I just got a new processor (4790K) and The Last Story still doesn't run good with the latest builds. Any specific build I should try, or is it just so bad?

Did you overclock your processor? If so, what frequency are you at?

bomblord1

Banned
I've been using dolphin for a while and I have to say I've always been pleasantly surprised. I still haven't actually played a game through from beginning to end (although I probably 20+ hours into Rune Factory Tides)

Here's a quick screenshot for your enjoyment =)
Rune Factory Tides of Destiny (almost a shame this game was originally 480p)
so3ee9-3zcsef.png

Something I've been wondering about, has anyone had any luck getting this to run on the Nvidia Shield tablet? It would be awesome to take some of my lighter games on the go.

mjontrix

If you haven't overclocked then there's the issue - The Last Story is like the Crysis of Dolphin - well except for the Hyrule Field grass xD

https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=The_Last_Story

Also if any dolphin peeps are here - WHERES THE LATEST PROGRESS REPORT :)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I recently built my own PC and I want to use my Wiimote/Wii sensor bar to play games via dolphin. I've got everything set up but I'm not sure I understand the whole bluetooth sensor thing. What do I need to buy in order to use a Wiimote with my PC? I've got Windows 8.1 if that makes any difference.

bomblord1

Banned

I'm on an i5 3470 and after the latest updates I can run the game pretty well a 2.5x internal res. What build of dolphin are you using?

artsi

If you haven't overclocked then there's the issue - The Last Story is like the Crysis of Dolphin - well except for the Hyrule Field grass xD

https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=The_Last_Story

Also if any dolphin peeps are here - WHERES THE LATEST PROGRESS REPORT :)

Yeah I was running on stock so I'll try overclocking next. The 4790K should go pretty far.

But I don't know what happened, I upgraded again to the latest build (4.0-4394) and it started running a lot better, no stuttering in the title screen and almost smooth 30fps gameplay. Maybe they did some voodoo in the latest builds or it was my system's problem, but it's running pretty nicely now.

bomblord1

Banned
I recently built my own PC and I want to use my Wiimote/Wii sensor bar to play games via dolphin. I've got everything set up but I'm not sure I understand the whole bluetooth sensor thing. What do I need to buy in order to use a Wiimote with my PC? I've got Windows 8.1 if that makes any difference.

The sensor bar is literally just 2 ir lights the wiimote/PC does all the actual calculations based on where the wiimote sees the lights. You can actually use candles and get the sensor bar to work or anything emitting ir light. I have no clue why it needs to connect to bluetooth the Wii only uses the wire to supply power.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The sensor bar is literally just 2 ir lights the wiimote/PC does all the actual calculations based on where the wiimote sees the lights. You can actually use candles and get the sensor bar to work or anything emitting ir light. I have no clue why it needs to connect to bluetooth the Wii only uses the wire to supply power.

Oh gotcha, so I just need to buy a bluetooth dongle for my PC and then get any wireless sensor bar.

Top Bottom