• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Star Wars: Rebel Strike

swrs3t3dmo.png

Game isn't perfect yet, but that's great progress over what it was before, this being not being able to boot at all.
Sweet baby Jesus. That and Rogue Leader are the only things tempting me to install Nintrndont or set up the GameCube for some fun in a galaxy far, far away.

shockdude

Stereoscopic 3D for the OpenGL backend got merged into the master branch. It's phenomenal.
Edit: OpenGL backend only for now. Using build 4549.
Edit 2: Whoops, 3d is disabled by default. To enable, go to Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Config, open gfx_opengl.ini, and change StereoMode from 0 to 1. The stereoscopy options should then appear; enjoy!

Miker

What's everybody's experience with F-Zero GX? It's kinda sorta stable without v-sync off, but then there's awful tearing. With v-sync on, it's prone to crashing. And even when v-sync is on, it's still prone to restarting the game (not crashing) for no reason.

shockdude

Yep. I set it to OpenGL and using that build, nothing shows up oddly.

Huh, just checked with a fresh copy of build 4549 and yeah, it doesn't show up.

Figured it out, turns out they're disabled by default. Go to Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Config, open gfx_opengl.ini, and change StereoMode from 0 to 1. The stereoscopy options should then appear; enjoy!

Btw the default separation and convergence settings aren't that great, so be sure to tweak them to your liking.

ILoveBish

Figured it out, turns out they're disabled by default. Go to Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Config, open gfx_opengl.ini, and change StereoMode from 0 to 1. The stereoscopy options should then appear; enjoy!

Btw the default separation and convergence settings aren't that great, so be sure to tweak them to your liking.

That worked. Thanks.

shockdude

Edit: Welp, turns out having zero separation in the 3D settings results in two identical images for each eye. Images removed.
Why am I seeing 3D for two identical images? Lol.

These are the definitive 3D settings. Play a racing game in first-person with these settings, it'll blow your mind. My heart is still racing.

The settings
Image 1
Image 2
Image 3

There's nothing else comparable to hurtling towards a bus at 160MPH, short of using an Oculus Rift.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I haven't messed with the new 3D stuff, but I've been using 3D vision with it for a while and it is fantastic.

If you can get a good convergence, Punchout is really cool in 3D.

dolphin082_by_aloo81-d7v2nuo.jpg

I really like this section of PBR

pokemon_battle_revolution_by_aloo81-d7tj8ze.jpg

And there's a great sense of depth on Donkey Kong Country Returns if you set the convergence right.

dolphin040_by_aloo81-d7tis1a.jpg

Thanks for this! I'll check it out when I'm home.

What's everybody's experience with F-Zero GX? It's kinda sorta stable without v-sync off, but then there's awful tearing. With v-sync on, it's prone to crashing. And even when v-sync is on, it's still prone to restarting the game (not crashing) for no reason.

There is an Async shader version of Dolphin on the forums that should fix all those F-zero restart problems and in general make the game run way better.

There's nothing else comparable to hurtling towards a bus at 160MPH, short of using an Oculus Rift.

Hey, PM'ed!

luca_29_bg

i'm desperate, eternal darkness have this cracling sound in game, but not in cutscenes, with the latest build and the modded version of dolphin. I have an x-fi extreme music audio card and i don't know what to do. :(

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
i'm desperate, eternal darkness have this cracling sound in game, but not in cutscenes, with the latest build and the modded version of dolphin. I have an x-fi extreme music audio card and i don't know what to do. :(

Try OpenAL backend and use an audio buffer/latency of about ~2

shockdude

After many hours of fiddling, I finally found 3D settings that I liked
and which are actually 3D.
It feels like looking through a window, which is really awesome.

I wonder if it's bad to have my eyes crossed for hours at a time. Oh well.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
After many hours of fiddling, I finally found 3D settings that I liked
and which are actually 3D.
It feels like looking through a window, which is really awesome.

I wonder if it's bad to have my eyes crossed for hours at a time. Oh well.

Now that's some good depth! You can see INTO the world!

ILoveBish

Played a lot of games in stereo 3d tonight, and honestly, the effect just isnt worth the effort, headache and glitches i ran into. I think i've come to terms that 3d is not for me till its VR, no matter how much i love tech, i just cannot love 3d anymore.

Ianan

So I was wanting to finally play Skyward Sword now that I had a WiiU but I couldn't stand the non HD rendering so I got Dolphin just to play it. Now I'm not sure if this is a dolphin issue or if Skyward Sword has awful controls, but my controller is constantly falling out of sync with links actual sword motion and position. Does anyone else have this issue? Its ruining this game for me so much, dunno whether to go get a new controller but they're £40 =/,

canocha

So I was wanting to finally play Skyward Sword now that I had a WiiU but I couldn't stand the non HD rendering so I got Dolphin just to play it. Now I'm not sure if this is a dolphin issue or if Skyward Sword has awful controls, but my controller is constantly falling out of sync with links actual sword motion and position. Does anyone else have this issue? Its ruining this game for me so much, dunno whether to go get a new controller but they're £40 =/,

I had two problems playing Skyward Sword in Dolphin:
  1. My motion+ attachment was a piece of garbage;
  2. I tried playing without a sensor bar...

After using a new remote and setting my sensor bar, it was perfect!

Ianan

I had two problems playing Skyward Sword in Dolphin:
  1. My motion+ attachment was a piece of garbage;
  2. I tried playing without a sensor bar...

After using a new remote and setting my sensor bar, it was perfect!

Had a feeling it would be this, suppose I'll just fork out and get a new Wii mote with the motion plus built in.

Are any of you guys using the Dolphin Bar? Might grab one from Amazon

Just started using one two weeks ago. It's amazing. The instructions were poorly translated, but google helped sort it out. Hold one button on the bar, plug it into usb, run the update software. That's it.

Now I just plug it into the pc, hit a button on the wiimote and load a game. Just finished Mario Galaxy. Best $17 I've spent in a really long time.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Apologies if this is a newbie question that's been answered a hundred times:

I recently ripped my Gamecube and Wii games, but one of them (Super Paper Mario) shows up on my Dolphin ISO list with a grey "X" image instead of a showing a banner image. Does this mean I've not ripped it properly, or is there compatibility issues, or is there no banner for it?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

I recently ripped my Gamecube and Wii games, but one of them (Super Paper Mario) shows up on my Dolphin ISO list with a grey "X" image instead of a showing a banner image. Does this mean I've not ripped it properly, or is there compatibility issues, or is there no banner for it?

Sometimes it takes a bit for all the banners to fill in since they are pulled from a database I believe.

PGamer

fucking juniors

Wii game banners are associated with the game save file so there's no banner shown until you save the game in Dolphin.

industrian

Sometimes it takes a bit for all the banners to fill in since they are pulled from a database I believe.

Wii game banners are associated with the game save file so there's no banner shown until you save the game in Dolphin.

Thanks for your replies. PGamer was right, it appeared after I made the initial system save file for the game.

You guys convinced me to get a dolphinbar. Let's see what the hype is about.

Mine just arrived today. Tested it with Wii Sports and Super Paper Mario. It's totally plug and play, I didn't need to calibrate anything, and it works perfectly with my Wii Remote Plus.

Rainy Dog

Mine just arrived today. Tested it with Wii Sports and Super Paper Mario. It's totally plug and play, I didn't need to calibrate anything, and it works perfectly with my Wii Remote Plus.

Do you have the newer Remote Plus that's also compatible with the Wii U?

Might have to get a Dolphinbar for myself it it works perfectly with newer remotes and means I can uninstall the Toshiba bluetooth stack.

rjc571

Banned
I have one and it works fine. I do sometimes notice a little bit of input lag but I haven't figured out if that's mostly due to the adapter or that I use a WaveBird with it.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I'm getting sick of using the Xbox 360 controller with its awful stick drift.

Miutsu

Today I was able to play Mario Galaxy at 2.5 infernal res, 4x SSAA and 16x AF at a locked 60fps, with my recently finished (and not yet OC!) build.

Life is good :)

industrian

Do you have the newer Remote Plus that's also compatible with the Wii U?

Might have to get a Dolphinbar for myself it it works perfectly with newer remotes and means I can uninstall the Toshiba bluetooth stack.

This is the Wiimote+Nunchuck combo I bought to use in Dolphin (I know I could just say "yes I use the new Remote Plus" but I prefer to be thorough):

QXDhKy0.jpg

My installation process was this:

1) Plugged in the Dolphinbar. Windows 8.1 carried out the installation process and I didn't need to manually install anything.
2) Once finished I pushed the Sync button on the Dolphinbar and then on the Wiimote. The Wiimote was detected and the light lit up on the first square.
3) I went to Dolphin, changed the Wiimote setting to "Real Wiimote", turned on Continuous Scanning, then turned on the motor and speaker. When I exited the settings, the Wiimote rumbled.
4) Works perfectly in every game so far without any further calibration. I haven't enjoyed an easy installation process like this since I first used my Adaptoid in Project 64.

Top Bottom