• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

John

Sweet, something they've done in the latest 1000 revisions has increased my framerate while looking at WW's starting island to 90% speed, minimum!

IrishNinja

John said:
Sweet, something they've done in the latest 1000 revisions has increased my framerate while looking at WW's starting island to 90% speed, minimum!

was just hearing this, it's awesome news, cant wait to run that game.
anyone with a link on Wiimote New Incomplete plugin? still haven't jumped in, but im wondering how this works: ok, so wiimote > USB dongle sounds fine, but can certain games that dont employ waggle run fine on 360 wired controller? i'm not even sure which ones that'd apply to past uh, Punch-Out!!, NMH2, Murmasa etc, id love to not have to waggle in SH: Shattered Memories and some others but i fear ill just be a sitting duck instead:lol

jediyoshi

IrishNinja said:
was just hearing this, it's awesome news, cant wait to run that game.
anyone with a link on Wiimote New Incomplete plugin? still haven't jumped in, but im wondering how this works: ok, so wiimote > USB dongle sounds fine, but can certain games that dont employ waggle run fine on 360 wired controller? i'm not even sure which ones that'd apply to past uh, Punch-Out!!, NMH2, Murmasa etc, id love to not have to waggle in SH: Shattered Memories and some others but i fear ill just be a sitting duck instead:lol

The Wiimote plugin (Incomplete or not) allows for mapping tilt, shake, swing, and the pointer, anything that needs motions past that would require an actual Wii remote. NMH2 and Muramasa accept the classic controller so those are just a matter of binding the keys and sticks over directly. If you wanted to play something like Super Monkey Ball, you'd have to do something like mapping the tilt to one of the sticks.

The Wiimote New Incomplete plugin has been available for at least the last few hundred builds at this page of automated builds which most people seem to rely on

http://www.dolphin-emulator.com/download.html

IrishNinja said:
No. Link?

If you're using the original plugin it should still be showing up in your config. Is there just nothing listed under the Gamepad dropdown?

wm6v80.png

jediyoshi said:
The Wiimote plugin (Incomplete or not) allows for mapping tilt, shake, swing, and the pointer, anything that needs motions past that would require an actual Wii remote. NMH2 and Muramasa accept the classic controller so those are just a matter of binding the keys and sticks over directly. If you wanted to play something like Super Monkey Ball, you'd have to do something like mapping the tilt to one of the sticks.

The Wiimote New Incomplete plugin has been available for at least the last few hundred builds at this page of automated builds which most people seem to rely on

http://www.dolphin-emulator.com/download.html

If you're using the original plugin it should still be showing up in your config. Is there just nothing listed under the Gamepad dropdown?

wm6v80.png
Its weird because its showing my 360 controller in the drop down but I can't use it in game. I have tried for Metroid and Mario Kart and it doesn't seem to work.

IrishNinja

jediyoshi said:

ah, so...we can bypass the waggle entirely if mapped properly?! holy shit; wii in glorious 1080p is one thing, but freedom to play my games with dual analogs if i so choose...why isn't this a more hyped aspect of this emulator? (perhaps i shouldve read the earlier pages, heh :D). if its that easy, i can't wait to get into this. thanks for the post/links, man.

goddamn, fuckin' PC gaming man.

jediyoshi

LovingSteam said:
Its weird because its showing my 360 controller in the drop down but I can't use it in game. I have tried for Metroid and Mario Kart and it doesn't seem to work.

In the Analog 1/2 Status box, are your sticks being registered at least? You should be able to see a red dot matching your stick positions as you move them. Also, controls for the Gamecube controller for GC games have to be bound separately using the GCPad button in the toolbar.

jediyoshi

mescalineeyes said:
Downloaded literally all of those builds and I can't find it in any of them. Is there a way to load profiles in the "complete" wiimote plugin?

It's in every build, you select it in the Wiimote dropdown list in the Plugins tab over the Config section.

jediyoshi said:
It's in every build, you select it in the Wiimote dropdown list in the Plugins tab over the Config section.

I know that -- it's not there.

Nabs said:
try updating directx

Good call, I'll try that. Thanks. I'm running stock Windows 7, so I don't have DX11 yet, I presume.

JADS

IrishNinja said:
ah, so...we can bypass the waggle entirely if mapped properly?! holy shit; wii in glorious 1080p is one thing, but freedom to play my games with dual analogs if i so choose...why isn't this a more hyped aspect of this emulator? (perhaps i shouldve read the earlier pages, heh :D). if its that easy, i can't wait to get into this. thanks for the post/links, man.

goddamn, fuckin' PC gaming man.

Not in all games though. There are some games that can't be played using only the XBOX360 controller, because they actually use the waggle for something. Wii Sport and Resort, Wii Play, Zack and Wiki to name a few. You could record the movement that you need using the plugin, but these games require more buttons for that than the XBOX360 controller can provide.

jediyoshi

Didn't realize the MotionPlus was supported, popped in a little Wii Sports Resort. The poor thing gets uncalibrated pretty much every swing though. Also, never realized Nintendo was written on the chest guards in swordplay.

dolphin2010-09-0805-51eti8.jpg

dolphin2010-09-0805-53uq7h.jpg

dolphin2010-09-0805-42ao26.jpg

Frame rate is real iffy, only about 20fps using 9xaa at 1080p. Dumped my NAND a while back, a little weird to see my Mii in HD.

dolphin2010-09-0805-41ur4i.jpg

JADS

jediyoshi said:
Didn't realize the MotionPlus was supported, popped in a little Wii Sports Resort. The poor thing gets uncalibrated pretty much every swing though. Also, never realized Nintendo was written on the chest guards in swordplay.

/http://www.abload.de/img/dolphin2010-09-0805-51eti8.jpg

/http://www.abload.de/img/dolphin2010-09-0805-53uq7h.jpg

/http://www.abload.de/img/dolphin2010-09-0805-42ao26.jpg

Frame rate is real iffy, only about 20fps using 9xaa at 1080p. Dumped my NAND a while back, a little weird to see my Mii in HD.

/http://www.abload.de/img/dolphin2010-09-0805-41ur4i.jpg

Oh God, the Mii's with no faces are haunting me again :lol

jediyoshi

dolphin2010-09-0803-39fn50.jpg

Stallion Free said:
I recently tried two real Wiimotes and it didn't seem to work either (not on Batman though).

If the game has one of these types of screens that prompt to add extra controllers, make sure to go through Tools > Connect Wiimote 2 (etc) while it's there. For other games like Brawl I haven't gotten multiple real Wiimotes to work.

dolphin2010-09-0808-33rnlh.jpg

Red

jediyoshi said:
http://www.abload.de/img/dolphin2010-09-0803-39fn50.jpg[img]

If the game has one of these types of screens that prompt to add extra controllers, make sure to go through Tools > Connect Wiimote 2 (etc) while it's there. For other games like Brawl I haven't gotten multiple real Wiimotes to work.

[img]http://www.abload.de/img/dolphin2010-09-0808-33rnlh.jpg
I'm pretty sure Brawl prioritizes Gamecube controllers, so you probably have to disable any you have connected.

jediyoshi

Crunched said:
I'm pretty sure Brawl prioritizes Gamecube controllers, so you probably have to disable any you have connected.

They do, but even then the real Wiimotes are supposed to just get shifted over to the next slot.

zweifuss

Wow I only thought polygon-based stuff gets the improved resolution through the emulator, not raster pictures like this. Very impressive. I don't understand why Nintendo bothers to make these such a high resolution when their system can only output 480p! I wonder what resolution the CG is originally rendered at...

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
zweifuss said:
Wow I only thought polygon-based stuff gets the improved resolution through the emulator, not raster pictures like this. Very impressive. I don't understand why Nintendo bothers to make these such a high resolution when their system can only output 480p! I wonder what resolution the CG is originally rendered at...
You can zoom in on the images, that's why.

Stallion Free said:
Alrighty, I grabbed all 96 pieces of concept art in .bmp and then converted them to .jpeg at the highest quality. They are the full 1080p that the game was rendering at.

THANK YOU!

I was wondering where to find high-res captures of the concept artwork. Exactly what I needed for the Other: M statue I'm working.

Sander

mikespit1200 said:
Does anyone with a Phenom II running at 3.5-4.0 GHz use Lectrode's SSE3 compiled builds? Is there a noticeable performance boost?
Your question prompted me to do some testing. I've grown so accustomed to using dolphin-emulator.com's builds that I haven't tried any others for a long time.

Found a nice spot in Metroid: Other M near a savepoint that dipped below 60fps, good place to compare:

dolphin-emulator.com r6189 64bit: 49-50fps
Lectrode r6181 64bit regular: 49-50fps
Lectrode r6181 64bit SSE3: 54-55fps
Lectrode r6192 64bit SSE3: 54-55fps

So, as far as M:OM goes, a clean 10% increase in FPS between the regular and SSE3 builds, using DX9 plugin and all the same settings of course. This on a Phenom II at 3.8GHz.

Thanks for reminding me about other builds, very happy with the increased framerate!

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Stallion Free said:
Well they are at least 1080p at that level of zoom. They do lose some crispness when I zoom in in the emulator.
Because on the Wii you're looking at the Mipmaps when you're fully zoomed out. On the emulator you're not looking at the mipmaps or at least you're looking at higher level mips.

vazel

Banned
nolookjones said:
how playable is the actual game on dolphin? i only have 1 wii controller anyways...
I played through the tutorial only. I gave up when I saw a second controller doesn't work. It works well although the sprites don't look too hot in 1080p. It's amazing how some 2D images look good like those Metroid images stallion posted and the prerendered stuff in NSMB yet others don't.

SOLDIER

Nothing. I haven't tried any Wii games beyond Smash Bros Brawl, but I've got a bluetooth dongle arriving in the mail so I can sync up my Wiimote. So I wanted to give it a shot.

Nabs

SOLDIER said:
Nothing. I haven't tried any Wii games beyond Smash Bros Brawl, but I've got a bluetooth dongle arriving in the mail so I can sync up my Wiimote. So I wanted to give it a shot.

ah. lots of games run well under the new revisions. i'm not sure which run the best, but most of the ones on the front page do. they just recently fixed little kings story, and i get a perfect 30fps with 4xSSAA.

I had a feeling that Trauma Team was using HD assets when I played it originally.

I am assuming that Second Opinion and New Blood are the same in that respect as well! :D

It's obvious that Nintendo is planning BC via emulation for Wii (and GCN by default) games in their next machine. Wii games (except for Wii Ware games, which are restricted to a 43MB file size limit) have much higher HUD resolutions than GCN games (which weren't designed with HD in mind) and the only reason for that is so that they would look good when uprezed in an emulator!

That and Nintendo have a good track record when it comes to cleaning up the IQ of their older games (VC, especially N64)

Top Bottom