• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

OMG Aero

Stallion Free said:
For the new page:

Metroid: Other M

The album continues here. Beware: it contains huge spoilers.
Any chance you could get some pictures of the start of the game? The Super Metroid Mother Brain flashback would make a great wallpaper.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
IrishNinja said:
this one's also high on my replay list - Stallion, what build/settings are you running to get these results? friend of mine's running the same setup im looking at getting, and says he's getting 70-80% speed, tops.
Here's the guide I made a while back, using Dolphin 2.0: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker Guide

OMG Aero said:
Any chance you could get some pictures of the start of the game? The Super Metroid Mother Brain flashback would make a great wallpaper.
I'm away from my gaming PC for the weekend, but I should be able to grab some at some point on Monday for you. It upscales pretty well.

jediyoshi

Probably last Trauma Team shots and some DC shots floating around my fraps folder

dolphin2010-09-1104-4349yg.jpg

dolphin2010-09-0602-13eqek.jpg

dolphin2010-07-2203-59ot45.jpg

dolphin2010-07-2203-571rac.jpg

IrishNinja

Stallion Free said:
Here's the guide I made a while back, using Dolphin 2.0: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker Guide

awesome! bookmarked, thanks for this man.
buddy of mine who's toying with this for GC & wii stuff (also PCSX2) claims that its looking to him like you need different emu builds/setups for each individual game. i'm browsing the forums @ dolphin-emulator.com, but is this necessarily true? do you need different settings/versions to optimize for each individual title? if so, are there any other good resources for this rather than sifting through pages of forum posts, or once you find your setup for that title, can it be saved as a profile or perhaps a .bat file or the like be made? i like being able to jump across a few different titles when inclined, without too much fuss if possible. :D

Luigiv

IrishNinja said:
awesome! bookmarked, thanks for this man.
buddy of mine who's toying with this for GC & wii stuff (also PCSX2) claims that its looking to him like you need different emu builds/setups for each individual game. i'm browsing the forums @ dolphin-emulator.com, but is this necessarily true? do you need different settings/versions to optimize for each individual title? if so, are there any other good resources for this rather than sifting through pages of forum posts, or once you find your setup for that title, can it be saved as a profile or perhaps a .bat file or the like be made? i like being able to jump across a few different titles when inclined, without too much fuss if possible. :D
Unfortunately it is. Given the fact the Dolphin is a High level emulator, what works for one game can break another. I'm not sure if there's any sort of list that marks the best revision for each game but if you go to the dolphin forums and look for the threads to individual games, you should be able to suss out the best revision to use quite quickly.

IrishNinja

ah, fair enough...looks to be well worth the effort, though. if anything, ill keep each game in a folder with the best version of the emu & text with the settings, i guess? either way, good to know man, thanks.

-Winnie-

Metroid%20Other%20M%20143.jpg

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

What kind of computer is necessary to get games looking this good? Seeing some of these screencaps seriously has me considering getting a better PC so I can use this emulator.

Momo

Banned
AMD sempron 2800+ 1.61Ghz
1GB Ram
NVidia Geforce 6100
Radeon X1600

^This is the plonker I currently have to use (won't go into details but my main PC is unavailable to me for a while)

No hope right? :lol

I'm probably missing something obvious here, but how can I rip my Gamecube games to ISOs? When I put my discs in (eg Wind Waker), my computer doesn't recognise it.

Haunted

The little Samus reaction comics in the Other M concept art are so awesome. :lol

Great to see them with such clarity on the PC monitor. <3 you for that, Stallion Free.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yeah there is some really good stuff in the concept art, I wish more games would have little galleries like that. It would also be great if the written commentary on it was in English too :(

Mr_Zombie

Two (three) questions:
Does Shattered Memories run well on Dolphin?
Does Darkside Chronicles run well on Dolphin? And if so, does it allow to play co-op on PC (for example a mouse+keyboard and gamepad)?

Q8D3vil

Stallion Free, i'm playing metroid on the wii and it look like an ass comparing to your pictures.
i have a high end pc i7 920 4.0 ghz and quad sli 295 but it seem alot of people are complaining about it not freezing and some black screen issues.
so the game is not playable at dolphin right now right ?!

Nabs

Q8D3vil said:
so the game is not playable at dolphin right now right ?!

playable. you shouldn't have a problem running it at 60fps with 4xSSAA (fps drops when you enter a room). there were some really dark cutscenes early on, but it wasn't that big a problem. no freezing

Q8D3vil

Nabs said:
playable. you shouldn't have a problem running it at 60fps with 4xSSAA (fps drops when you enter a room). there were some really dark cutscenes early on, but it wasn't that big a problem. no freezing
well, i need to borrow my friend wii to backup the game.
but which version of dolphin are u using ?!
can you upload it and send it in a pm please :D

Couple things.

1, I really wish that there was a hud-less version of this: from Stallion Free's gallery. I'll probably doctor up one of my own!

2, I don't know if this was posted, but someone (AaronLite here) did make a sort of proof of concept Twilight Princess high res pack. I don't know if this was posted, but see the before and after:

sb3el5.jpg

21bjj87.jpg

See, I thought the top one looked amazing, until seeing the bottom one. Now the top one's textures make me think of an N64 game. :(

Stallion Free said:
Yeah sorry that texture pack was posted a while ago.
I figured, but ah well.

Hopefully we'll see more last generation games with high resolution texture packs. Texture packs take a lot of work, but since a lot were created for Ocarina of Time, I'm guessing they can be re-used to a certain extent.

vazel

Banned
SOLDIER said:
I ordered this bluetooth dongle from Amazon, which arrived today. I'm trying to find a driver that will get it working on my PC (Windows 7 64 bit). Can anyone help me find a working driver? Afterward, what do I need to do to pair my Wiimote with it?
Win7 should have its own bluetooth driver. Failing that try the bluesoliel driver. Pairing the Wiimote is easy, just pair from the bluetooth panel while pressing the 1+2 buttons on the Wiimote.

SOLDIER

vazel said:
Win7 should have its own bluetooth driver. Failing that try the bluesoliel driver. Pairing the Wiimote is easy, just pair from the bluetooth panel while pressing the 1+2 buttons on the Wiimote.

Ah, yes, it seems to be working. Just had to go to Control Panel and paired it up, thanks.

I want to also try and use my Wiimote like a regular remote for my PC. Someone mentioned Glovepie, which I downloaded, but I don't know how to set it up.

Also, this bluetooth dongle will let me connect a PS3 controller as well, right? Is there any configuration I need to do, or can I just pair it up and go?

SOLDIER

Arrgh, I forgot about the Sensor Bar. Dammit, now I have to figure out what to do with this.

The only thing the OP says is to use a Wireless Sensor bar. Does he mean this? Is this something you need to connect to your PC, or just turn it on by itself?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SOLDIER said:
Arrgh, I forgot about the Sensor Bar. Dammit, now I have to figure out what to do with this.

The only thing the OP says is to use a Wireless Sensor bar. Does he mean this? Is this something you need to connect to your PC, or just turn it on by itself?
Yeah, that's the one I use, you don't hook it up to anything. It takes 4 AA batteries and has an on/off button and a 1/2 hour timer if you want it to auto turn off.

Hey guys, I'm trying to get Dolphin running for the first time but I'm running into some issues. I got the most updated build and the Directx runtimes. I dumped F-Zero GX using Superdump 1.3 and whatever cIOS 249 I had put on prior, although it may not be the recommended one. But it looked like it dumped fine. I also set up Dolphin basically the same as in the first post.

Anyway when I try to start the game it only gets as far as the second clearing code cache and the initial screen with the Sega and Nintendo logos. After that I get a "Dolphin has stopped working crash." That only comes up if I used D3D9 plugin but if I switch to OpenGL, I get some dialog windows:

dcwy7t.png

followed by
308z3ae.png

My machine:
Phenom X2 550 BE
4GB DDR3 Ram
Radeon 4670

Any ideas?

Top Bottom