• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

MYE

Nabs said:
aw man. smash in 1080p with a proper controller (360 pad) is so... good. i just had to increase the dead zone for the c-stick so the game would recognize the inputs properly. feels good.

:lol

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm not really sure why a 360 pad is such a joke to you guys. It maps amazingly well to the Gamecube controller setup and it's very easy to configure in Dolphin. It's also a nice and easy plug and play on modern versions of Windows. It's a huge step up from what he was using.

I don't suppose there's a way to map the right analog stick for camera control in the GCN versions of metroid prime? It's so unintuitive to move with a single stick and lock on to look around.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
mikespit1200 said:
I don't suppose there's a way to map the right analog stick for camera control in the GCN versions of metroid prime? It's so unintuitive to move with a single stick and lock on to look around.
If the game didn't require you to be locked on to strafe/hold a button to manually look up and down it would be feasible. Sadly, it does require those things.

Fitz

Stallion Free said:
I'm not really sure why a 360 pad is such a joke to you guys. It maps amazingly well to the Gamecube controller setup and it's very easy to configure in Dolphin. It's also a nice and easy plug and play on modern versions of Windows. It's a huge step up from what he was using.

I completely agree, I've been using a 360 controller myself for SSBB and it just feels so natural, especially considering that with the profiles within Brawl you can remap any action to any button.

Stallion Free said:
I decided it was time for some Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat since I am getting hyped for DKCR. Looks pretty decent, but you are insane if you think it looks better than DKCR. It's neat seeing some of the effects that the team would later use in SMG quite a bit better.
Just wondering, were the graphics updated at all for the New Play Control version?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Stallion Free said:
F-Zero GX

-Dolphin Build: 2.0, 64-bit

Issues
  • Story mode does not work.
  • Some frame drops, specifically on the Big Blue tracks which struggle to hit 60 fps.
  • Some graphical issues on menus.
  • Shadows sometimes break, mostly in the Grand Prix mode.
  • Some effects may not work without CPU > EFB Access (the heatwave on Sand Ocean), turning this on halves performance.

Settings

Config / Basic Settings
  • Enable Dual Core: Yes
  • Enable Idle Skipping: Yes
  • Framelimit: Auto
  • Use FPS For Limiting: No
Config / Advanced Settings
  • HLE the IPL: Yes
  • CPU Emulator Engine: JIT Recompilier
  • Lock Threads to Cores: No
  • DSPLLE on Thread: No
Config /Interface Settings
  • Confirm on Stop: No
  • Use Panic Handlers: No
Graphics / Direct3D
  • V-Sync: No
  • Widescreen Hack: Yes
  • Aspect Ratio: 16:9
  • Anti-Alias Mode: 4x SSAA
  • Enable CPU->EFB Access: No
  • Safe Texture Cache: No
Graphics / Enhancements
  • Force Bi/Trilinear: No
  • Enable 16x Anisotropy Filtering: Yes
  • Enable Hires Texture Loading: No
  • EFB Scaled Copy: Yes
Graphics / Advanced
  • Disable Fog: No
  • Enable EFB Copy: To Texture
  • Enable XFB: Yes
  • Use Native Mips: Yes
  • Overlay FPS Counter: No
  • Enable Hotkey: No
  • Enable Wireframe: No
  • Enable Real XFB: No
DSP / Sound
  • Enable HLE Audio: Yes
  • Enable DTK Music: Yes
  • Enable Audio Throttle: No
  • Audio Backend: DSound

Does this still hold true (Also about having to use the 2.0 64bit build)?
Found it linked in the OP and I'm guessing if I need to change anything (or if anything's changed in the meanwhile).
I've read from Isamu that there's the possibility to play it with a wheel (G27 in my case) albeit without FFB (damn!) and I'm drooling, still got my ntsc USA disc bought at launch! :D
I have a quad-core I5 750 and I've read that Dolphin performs way better with a faster dual core, will I be able to play it at 60fps with my rig?

Core i5 750 (Lynnfield) Quad Core 2,66
Mobo Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
4 Gb (2x2Gb) ddr3
Radeon HD 5850

Dash Kappei said:
Found it linked in the OP and I'm guessing if I need to change anything (or if anything's changed in the meanwhile).
I've read from Isamu that there's the possibility to play it with a wheel (G27 in my case) albeit without FFB (damn!) and I'm drooling, still got my ntsc USA disc bought at launch! :D

The official/nightly builds couldn't get me to full 60fps. I am now using Lectrode's optimized builds from the dolphin emu forums and that runs a smooth 60fps on my Phenom II @ 3.9GHz. Yeah, since you have an i5 just grab the SSE4.2 or 4.1 optimized build and use that. I'd be incredibly surprised if you don't get full 60fps.

Also re: FZGX, did anyone ever find a way to import a save file to unlock all of the hidden arcade tracks?

Dash Kappei

mikespit1200 said:
The official/nightly builds couldn't get me to full 60fps. I am now using Lectrode's optimized builds from the dolphin emu forums and that runs a smooth 60fps on my Phenom II @ 3.9GHz. Yeah, since you have an i5 just grab the SSE4.2 or 4.1 optimized build and use that. I'd be incredibly surprised if you don't get full 60fps.

Alright, I'll look where I can get those, thanks a bunch!

Also re: FZGX, did anyone ever find a way to import a save file to unlock all of the hidden arcade tracks?

Oh, I didn't know it wasn't possible to do that :-/

Nabs

I'd recommend grabbing 2.0 along with a recent revision. F-Zero has seen some nice fixes since 2.0 (story mode, crash fixes), so it's worth upgrading.

The Lectrode build is alright, but make sure it's brand new and not a few weeks old. A lot of the speedup found in that build is due to dlist caching being enabled. It's still considered a hack, and it breaks a ton of games. The most recent builds actually have a dlist option in the graphics tab and the game properties tab, so use that to experiment with your games.

I've tried testing dlist caching with some games. Mario Kart Wii, Smash Bros, and Little Kings Story seem to work the best. Certain levels in SMG2 actually give me a 15-20fps boost with the option enabled. The boost is nice, but it also breaks certain textures. It's still worth trying.

Colkate said:
I completely agree, I've been using a 360 controller myself for SSBB and it just feels so natural, especially considering that with the profiles within Brawl you can remap any action to any button.

Yeah, I'm glad someone gets what I'm saying. I went from a Saturn-like pad to a 360 one. I can finally play Gamecube games properly.

Dash Kappei

My main interest is really for F-Zero GX.
So I'm not worried about breaking other games, problem is the I've just gotten interested in Dolphin so I don't know much about where to get all those build revisions and mods you guys are suggesting me :lol
Thanks a lot for the replies tho, it's not like I'm afraid to experiment or do some leg work! :)

Nabs

The latest dolphin revision can be found at dolphin-emulator.com

Unlocking the AX cup is as easy as enabling cheats, and right clicking the game. There's an AR tab for action replay codes. I don't know if there are any more to be unlocked though. Hope that's it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Dash Kappei said:
I have a quad-core I5 750 and I've read that Dolphin performs way better with a faster dual core, will I be able to play it at 60fps with my rig?

Core i5 750 (Lynnfield) Quad Core 2,66
Mobo Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
4 Gb (2x2Gb) ddr3
Radeon HD 5850
Haha new computer for F-Zero :lol

Just because it's a quad doesn't mean it is slow. You'll do just fine. If for some reason it is not full speed, go ahead and overclock a tad.

Almost every graphics setting is GPU based and you have tons of room so throw on every effect and setting that doesn't cause it to crash.

Q8D3vil

just finished other m
i feel sorry for anyone who played it on wii.
the art style was amazing but it cannot appear on a shitty 480p resolution.

my favorite wii game so far.

Nabs said:
The latest dolphin revision can be found at dolphin-emulator.com

Unlocking the AX cup is as easy as enabling cheats, and right clicking the game. There's an AR tab for action replay codes. I don't know if there are any more to be unlocked though. Hope that's it.

Awesome, had no idea it was that easy. I just need to use the grand prix finish unlock codes right?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Q8D3vil said:
just finished other m
i feel sorry for anyone who played it on wii.
the art style was amazing but it cannot appear on a shitty 480p resolution.

my favorite wii game so far.
Yeah, I had a blast playing it through emulation too.

John

so this rig could only do about 20 fps tops in other m:

GTX260
core2quad Q9400 @ 2.6
4GB
XP pro

just posting a benchmark for you guys

: (

poweld

John said:

GTX260
core2quad Q9400 @ 2.6
4GB
XP pro

Yeah I had a similar experience with a similar rig (Q6600, GTX275, 8BG RAM)

Was pretty bummed out after hearing Stallion's great numbers! Game ran like Samus was running through molasses (couldn't figure out how to skip frames to even make it playable)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
John said:

GTX260
core2quad Q9400 @ 2.6
4GB
XP pro

Get off XP already. 64-bit Win 7 will allow you to use the 64-bit builds and they help a lot.

Vorador

Banned
Update your graphic drivers, the latest version of nVidia drivers included OpenCL support and the newer builds of Dolphin can use OpenCL to improve speed.

poweld

Stallion Free said:
Or just get a new videocard. ATI and Nvidia have sick cards in the 200$-250$ price range and it's about time you upgraded.
But I just upgraded to my 275 in... oh shit that was November '09.

I love PC gaming, but sometimes, man. I feel so wasteful upgrading so often.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
poweld said:
But I just upgraded to my 275 in... oh shit that was November '09.

I love PC gaming, but sometimes, man. I feel so wasteful upgrading so often.
Well Dolphin sometimes wants a lot. The games and emulator aren't going anywhere so just put Other M on hold if you don't want to spend anymore. 275 is decent enough to last you probably another year with respectable performance on 90% of PC games.

Ssseth

Neo Member
Coming out of the luring shadows to post. Wow, great thread. Going to set this up on my PC I think. It really is amazing how much better some of these games look in 1080p.

Question though about the range on some of these Bluetooth adapters before I order one. I have a projector hooked up to a PC at the back of my room. The projector screen where the wireless sensor bar will be is about 15-20 feet from the PC. Do you think that will be okay? Are some adapters better than others at range?

Edit: Loving my avatar. :lol

Ssseth

Neo Member
Vorador said:
The sensor bar doesn't have any feedback, it's just a pair of infrared leds to guide the Wii remote to where the screen is. So don't worry about the distance.

List of compatible adapters.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/List_of_Working_Bluetooth_Devices
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant the Bluetooth range from the sensor bar to my PC 20 ft away. Does anyone have any experience with them being that far apart? Any issues or should it work fine?

Ssseth

Neo Member
Vorador said:
I play from a distance of about 6 feet, so dunno. But there are reports of 300 feet or more.
Wow, well I guess I should be fine then. Thanks!

I'll order an adapter from the list then. Anyone have any recommendations on a cheap one that works well out of the box (without having to pay for BlueSoleil)? I'm in Canada. Would prefer to order from North America but if the price is right I'll order from an Asian seller.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Ssseth said:
Wow, well I guess I should be fine then. Thanks!

I'll order an adapter from the list then. Anyone have any recommendations on a cheap one that works well out of the box (without having to pay for BlueSoleil)? I'm in Canada. Would prefer to order from North America but if the price is right I'll order from an Asian seller.
If you're using Windows 7, any.
Microsoft is using the BlueSoleil stack as their default stack on Windows 7 or something to that extent. The important bit is that it supports the wiimote natively. You still need Dolphin (or some other app) to use the buttons in it, so it's not just a gaming device natively.

Also, distance depends on the Bluetooth Adapter. There's some cheap ass ones (like, 1,50) that are marked as 20feet capacity and some expensive ones (like, 3 usd) that are 100feet.

Ssseth

Neo Member
drizzle said:
If you're using Windows 7, any.
Microsoft is using the BlueSoleil stack as their default stack on Windows 7 or something to that extent. The important bit is that it supports the wiimote natively. You still need Dolphin (or some other app) to use the buttons in it, so it's not just a gaming device natively.
Yes I do have Windows 7. Brilliant, thanks again.

drizzle said:
Also, distance depends on the Bluetooth Adapter. There's some cheap ass ones (like, 1,50) that are marked as 20feet capacity and some expensive ones (like, 3 usd) that are 100feet.
Oh so some of those cheapish ones work hey? I'm willing to "splurge" and spend $5 if need be. :lol I was thinking I'd have to spend $10 or so anyway. Any recommendations? eBay the best place to look I'd wager?

Dash Kappei

Hazaro said:
Haha new computer for F-Zero :lol

Well, remember that when I asked your help to build my rig I DID SAY "racing games" :D

Just because it's a quad doesn't mean it is slow. You'll do just fine. If for some reason it is not full speed, go ahead and overclock a tad.

Almost every graphics setting is GPU based and you have tons of room so throw on every effect and setting that doesn't cause it to crash.

Awesome, thanks mate

vazel

Banned
Ssseth said:
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant the Bluetooth range from the sensor bar to my PC 20 ft away. Does anyone have any experience with them being that far apart? Any issues or should it work fine?
The cheap mini bluetooth dongles have shit range. When playing on my HDTV it would keep losing sync with my Wiimote and PS3 keyboard. Get one of the full size ones they have better range and are just as cheap. I have this one.

DonMigs85

Has anyone already posted pics of Rogue Leader or Rebel Strike in 1080p? I'd love to see how it looks that sharp since it still looks great even at 480p.

DonMigs85

Stallion Free said:
Post some screens to show us! Preferably without any jpeg compression. PM me if you need help with that.
I'd like to see this too, maybe also SSX On Tour if you have it - the graphics including character models are more detailed than SSX3, but they cut the framerate down to 30FPS.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
DonMigs85 said:
Has anyone already posted pics of Rogue Leader or Rebel Strike in 1080p? I'd love to see how it looks that sharp since it still looks great even at 480p.
The game is still severely broken (read: unplayable), but they have made tremendous progress over the last couple months. Here is one shot that kind of avoids the more serious graphical issues to give you a feel for what it will look like, courtesy of Oehr on the Official Dolphin Forums:

perfection34me.jpg

DonMigs85

Stallion Free said:
The game is still severely broken (read: unplayable), but they have made tremendous progress over the last couple months. Here is one shot that kind of avoids the more serious graphical issues to give you a feel for what it will look like, courtesy of Oehr on the Official Dolphin Forums:

perfection34me.jpg
Whoa! It can definitely hang with the best looking games of today.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Ssseth said:
Thanks, unfortunately Amazon.com doesn't ship to Canada.

How about this one? It looks pretty beefy.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/USB-2-0-Bluetoot...ultDomain_0&hash=item2a05885e2f#ht_2060wt_958
Dude, any bluetooth adapter will work.

Also, usually, those Antennas are a lie. They're just plastic and have no actual antenna inside (I'm sure there are some models that have one).

go to dealextreme.com and check some user reviews on some models. If you're not comfortable with buying from dealextreme/don't want to wait for the thing to ship from Hong Kong, just look the same model/appearance on ebay.

trejo

It'd be neat to know what sort of sacrifices Factor 5 had to offer to their pagan gods to achieve what they did with that game. Because goddamn.

Top Bottom