• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin on Steam Indefinitely Postponed Due to Nintendo DMCA

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
FxF3dKjagAAIYlB

Bully fucking Nintendo. They know they have no legal grounds but will gladly flex their money and lawyers to snuff out perfectly legal and legitimate fan works like this. Makes me rage like you wouldn't believe. Wish one of these days someone would stand up to them, crowdfund the resources to beat them in court, then countersue hard to shut those fuckers down once and for all.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I wonder if it's because they used an image of Link in their April Fools Day achievement announcement

Personally, I thought that was pretty careless since they are obviously walking a fine line as it is

EDIT: this one

header.png

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't use it but again.. waste of time going after emulators etc.
Most emulator developers don't have the money to fight Nintendo when Nintendo takes action against them. The legality of emulation is of little comfort if it bankrupts them trying to defend it. That's why Nintendo gets away with their bullying.

Last edited:

Holammer

I wonder if it's because they used an image of Link in their April Fools Day achievement announcement

Personally, I thought that was pretty careless since they are obviously walking a fine line as it is

EDIT: this one

header.png
Parody is protected. Even Nintendo knows a judge would have their ass if they tried to argue that an AI generated likeness of Link used for an Aprils' fools is a copyright violation.
Retroarch's support for retroachievements would be a huge problem as many of the achievements use existing Nintendo art.

Krathoon

I would recommend backing up all the latest copies of your emulators. I am sure someone put Dolphin on Archive.org.

GHound

Nintendo continuing to walk the path of tyranny and issuing meritless DMCAs? It really is a day that ends with "day."

Sleepwalker

iu

Easy access for people that don't know how/feel like installing other OS's on their Decks, for one.

The thing is literally in the linux app store that comes with the Deck lol

On Topic: I like NIntendo, I really do. But sometimes they make it very hard for me to keep liking them.

Mozza

Piracy disguised as game preservation and harmless emulation, where everybody who owns a steam deck, also owns all these old systems and Nintendo Switch, plus all the games, and is only legally backing everything up........ Yea right.

It's almost as bad as suggesting anyone who downloads Kodi, is only using it as a media player.

Not that I have any real issue or want to demonize anyone who pirates stuff, but lets not dress it up or use mental gymnastics, to try and justify any of this, own it, and call it out for what it is. ;)

Braag

Not surprising. Nintendo probably spends more money and resources on lawyers and taking down shit than they do developing new systems.

Ozzie666

Piracy disguised as game preservation and harmless emulation, where everybody who owns a steam deck, also owns all these old systems and Nintendo Switch, plus all the games, and is only legally backing everything up........ Yea right.

It's almost as bad as suggesting anyone who downloads Kodi, is only using it as a media player.

Not that I have any real issue or want to demonize anyone who pirates stuff, but lets not dress it up or use mental gymnastics, to try and justify any of this, own it, and call it out for what it is. ;)

I think this is pretty much it and the end of the story. Let's call a spade a spade here people.

There are things existing, then there are things right out in public in someone's face. Imagine back in the 90's if Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis and N64 copiers (Wildcards, Doctor 64) were sold in Walmart, Target or whatever major department store.

Of course, Nintendo should protect themselves from something so blatant. They aren't the bad guys here, if anything Valve should have never let this one Steam. I am surprised Nintendo hasn't gone after Valve.

Everybody: Nintendo can't do anything about this.

Nintendo:
watch-this.gif

Pretty much this. People were so positive and happy in the announcement thread that Nintendo cant do shit about it, blablabla. Yeah... naivety is a huge thing on gaf. People forget, rules dont apply to mega-corporations.

Top Bottom