• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin on Steam Indefinitely Postponed Due to Nintendo DMCA

Mozza

that's not the point. you literally can't buy a gamecube game anymore that would in any way directly benefit Nintendo.
and the older the hardware, and the rarer the game, the worse this gets, where the only legal way of getting a copy is by paying inflated collector item prices, all of which the rights holder doesn't benefit from in any way
Game preservation is another excuse to defend the pirates running illegal copies on these emulators, like many say, the emulators are in themselves not illegal, but there are not many ways to use them, or indeed the way they are being used in the majority, that is legal.

But like I have said in many comments, I am not here to demonize anybody pirating games, or take the moral high ground, as we never know the full circumstances of the individuals doing this.

But I do feel we need to stop suggesting these emulators are totally innocent, and call this out for what it is in the vast majority, a way of stealing IP's and pirating games.. and stop all the mental gymnastics employed to it's defense.

Let's just admit to what it is, and judge weather or not we agree on a personal level.

itxaka

Defeatist
"Copyrighted code"

Ffs, it's a series of numbers, the Wii common key which is already in a million places

Are we back at the decss times again when it was ilegal to share some numbers so it was impossible to watch your own DVD on a PC unless you used the approved software and it was impossible to backup or digitize your own physical DVD?

This is overstepping IMHO. Fuck Nintendo and fuck valve for allowing this.

Got nothing against emulation or Nintendo and I do agree, most of emulation is used for piracy. But cock blocking emulation for a dead console is stupid and nobody benefits from it. And it can actually lead to problems for the emulators which are key in preserving gaming history, seeing that game companies aren't interested in that, only in getting your money.

So yeah, this is not good for anybody but some idiot at Nintendo which think he is getting an end of year bonus for stopping this and earning Nintendo millions...

Astray

Gold Member
I guess Valve had their reasons, but I really do not get the controversy here. Download direct from dolphin. I would never think to install an app like this through Steam.
It's very strange to me how everyone wants everything to be on Steam.

Like I understand that people like it (I personally find it to be very bloated in places), but downloading Dolphin on its own is 2 minutes' work!

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Game preservation is another excuse to defend the pirates running illegal copies on these emulators, like many say, the emulators are in themselves not illegal, but there are not many ways to use them, or indeed the way they are being used in the majority, that is legal.

But like I have said in many comments, I am not here to demonize anybody pirating games, or take the moral high ground, as we never know the full circumstances of the individuals doing this.

But I do feel we need to stop suggesting these emulators are totally innocent, and call this out for what it is in the vast majority, a way of stealing IP's and pirating games.. and stop all the mental gymnastics employed to it's defense.

Let's just admit to what it is, and judge weather or not we agree on a personal level.
What a load of shite. And yes, you are trying to demonise people using emulators. Why even come from this standpoint of 'emulators bad' first and not preservation?

That says it all in what you're implying.

JimboJones

I get why the Dolphin team did this but... why? Why put yourself into the eventual legal shenanigans that will inevitably follow?
It would have been nice for Steamdeck users but ultimately I think they are lucky Nintendo isn't coming after the whole project after this.
They are using the Wii Common keys which will fall under Nintendo's copyright, hopefully Nintendo simply thinks it isn't worthwhile but Dolphin will need to make sure they fix this so Nintendo cannot come after them if they change their minds in the future.

noone cares about your opinion, the court decided they are legal, period.

Hayabusa83

Banned
It really sucks though. I am sitting here waiting to give Sony and Namco money for a remastered Ace Combat PS2 trilogy, but I am stuck with playing Ace Combat 0 at 4k 60 FPS on the PCSX2 (I own a physical PS2 copy by the way).

ReBurn

Gold Member
noone cares about your opinion, the court decided they are legal, period.
If it was "period" Nintendo wouldn't be ruining people's lives with multimillion dollar judgments and we wouldn't still be talking about Dolphin using keys they didn't have a right to include in their source. Emulators are legal. Emulation isn't always, depending on how it is done.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Meh.

If you need Steam to use it, then you don't deserve to use it.

Just install it outside that walled garden if you want it that badly, you lazy fuckers.

I agree with this.

Emulation of classics is great and I support it, but the initial barrier to entry is actually a feature, not a bug. Make these emulators all one-click installable out of the box onto every game system and you're just inviting heat on us for no reason. Leave classic emulation to the people who aren't afraid of the command line and it will survive much better.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
bhjZFwm.png

If it was "period" Nintendo wouldn't be ruining people's lives with multimillion dollar judgments and we wouldn't still be talking about Dolphin using keys they didn't have a right to include in their source. Emulators are legal. Emulation isn't always, depending on how it is done.
thanks for confirming that dolphin is legal. It said it as well. Thanks for your support.

LRKD

Even Valve fears Nintendo's Ninjas...
It's stupid seeing as Retroarch is already on Steam. But also, not a huge loss since it is so easy to get dolphin, like a 2 second download and you can launch it, even add it as a non steam game to steam if u feel like it.

Hudo

People on here before: "OMG NINTENDO IS SO SHIT FOR DOING THIS FUCK THEM"

After: "Oh.. it's Valve who removed it? Huh.. thats peculiar. But I'm sure they had good reasons"
Yeah, many people on here (and on the internet in general) have some weird love affair with Steam and/or their consoles. I remember being annoyed as fuck when I had to install Steam only to play Half-Life 2. And I wasn't alone with that sentiment. Valve's biggest achievement is that they have normalized account-gated games. Yes, Steam is a convenient thing for many things but it still gates your games. And Valve certainly isn't your "friendly neighbourhood company". They are in the "profits business" (as experts on GAF put it) as all the other motherfuckers.

Mozza

Emulators are legal. Period. Cope with it.
Sound like you are struggling to cope with a simple difference of opinion, but carry on trying to justify copyright and IP infringement. Not against it of course, people can do what they want in my opinion, but lets not use all kinds of mental gymnastics to justify it, just admit to what it is.

Sound like you are struggling to cope with a simple difference of opinion, but carry on trying to justify copyright and IP infringement. Not against it of course, people can do what they want in my opinion, but lets not use all kinds of mental gymnastics to justify it, just admit to what it is.
Again: Emulators are legal according to the justice. Cope with it.
And I also pirate my brains out of games, movies etc. Cope with it again.
CKlzUCt.png

Mozza

What a load of shite. And yes, you are trying to demonise people using emulators. Why even come from this standpoint of 'emulators bad' first and not preservation?

No I am not, read my post again.... I have no issues with people doing what the hell they like with emulators, just stop using game preservation, and I can't buy these games any other way legally as an excuse, own it for what it is.

Mozza

Again: Emulators are legal according to the justice. Cope with it.
And I also pirate my brains out of games, movies etc. Cope with it again.
CKlzUCt.png
You are clearly not listening or indeed reading my posts, or perhaps have an issue understanding, best to leave it there. ;)

brian0057

Banned

Emulation is legal, as US courts have said.
Piracy is the main and biggest reason people emulate.
These two statements are not mutually exclusive.

Top Bottom