• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don’t Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
Best Friends Forever has been better than this. But it is pretty decent.

Agreed, but I really like Best Friends Forever. Probably my favorite sitcom pilot this year.

I mean, there are aspects of the show I really enjoy - JVDB is hilarious (though I wonder how long they can do this Dawson thing without him becoming a real character). Ritter and Walker are great leads and have good chemistry.

Maybe it's a story issue. The dad thing in the second episode wasn't clever or absurdist, just absurd. It was out there, sure, but beyond showing a rather strange storyline, there was little about it that was humorous (except for the wheelchair bound mother). It was just a very strange string of scenes.

And what a waste of Liza Lapira.

There are aspects of the show I enjoy, I guess I don't quite see it quite yet. I do think this is the kind of show 2 Broke Girls should be, but maybe that's a different post. But ABC has aot of excellent sitcoms (Modern, Happy, Suburgatory), so maybe my bar is set too high or I'm expecting something I shouldn't.

I don't want to watch it because of the kitschy look-at-us-we're-being-cute title.

That's a beyond stupid reason to not watch a show. Not just a title, but a title that was changed because you can't actually say the word bitch in network TV title?

Van Der Beek makes the show.

Yep!

I liked the first episode. I'm not sure about James Van Der Beek playing James Van Der Beek - I usually dislike it when celebrities play alternate versions of themselves in series, but I'll give it a go.

I'm hoping it doesn't get stale, but right now I find him being there pretty hilarious. Especially since they're playing off that nobody gives him any attention outside of him being Dawson. Nearly lost it when he started quoting Dawson at the class he was teaching. To me, it feels like he's being similar to what Neil Patrick Harris did in Harold and Kumar.

Best Friends Forever has been better than this. But it is pretty decent.

No way, unless it gets way better, the first two episodes were so damn unfunny. The first episode felt like I was watching a bad girl movie instead of a comedy. I'll give it a couple more eps, but I was way underwhelmed so far.

I don't want to watch it because of the kitschy look-at-us-we're-being-cute title.

Something about a book and it's cover comes to mind....

Agreed, but I really like Best Friends Forever. Probably my favorite sitcom pilot this year.

I mean, there are aspects of the show I really enjoy - JVDB is hilarious (though I wonder how long they can do this Dawson thing without him becoming a real character). Ritter and Walker are great leads and have good chemistry.

Maybe it's a story issue. The dad thing in the second episode wasn't clever or absurdist, just absurd. It was out there, sure, but beyond showing a rather strange storyline, there was little about it that was humorous (except for the wheelchair bound mother). It was just a very strange string of scenes.

And what a waste of Liza Lapira.

There are aspects of the show I enjoy, I guess I don't quite see it quite yet. I do think this is the kind of show 2 Broke Girls should be, but maybe that's a different post. But ABC has aot of excellent sitcoms (Modern, Happy, Suburgatory), so maybe my bar is set too high or I'm expecting something I shouldn't.

That's a beyond stupid reason to not watch a show. Not just a title, but a title that was changed because you can't actually say the word bitch in network TV title?

High Five.

This show is good, but having a guy almost Masturbating/Crepping is trying to hard to just be out there for sake of being out there, much like the trying to be edgy name.

The best jokes have been dawson jokes and his reverence in his character and that well will run dry sooner than later.

Flatline

Banned
High Five.

This show is good, but having a guy almost Masturbating/Crepping is trying to hard to just be out there for sake of being out there, much like the trying to be edgy name.

The best jokes have been dawson jokes and his reverence in his character and that well will run dry sooner than later.

Van Der Beek is a good actor and can play the arrogant douche pretty great so he can use that to keep the character fresh.

Just watched the first ep, at least it's not as bad as New Girl or 2 Broke Girls.

Most of the time I was just focusing on Krysten Ritter's fat lips. James van der Beek was funny, he's doing well riding that meta train after Funny or Die.

Just watched the first ep, at least it's not as bad as New Girl[/B] or 2 Broke Girls.

Most of the time I was just focusing on Krysten Ritter's fat lips. James van der Beek was funny, he's doing well riding that meta train after Funny or Die.

Did you watch New Girl past the pilot? Because it has been one of the best comedies on the air in some time. The pilot was iffy, but it quickly ramped up and has been knocking it out of the park almost every episode since before Thanksgiving.

Flatline

Banned
Did you watch New Girl past the pilot? Because it has been one of the best comedies on the air in some time. The pilot was iffy, but it quickly ramped up and has been knocking it out of the park almost every episode since before Thanksgiving.

I agree, New Girl is excellent, too bad they couldn't keep the Coach though. Btw watched BFF and didn't laugh once.

Ragnarok

ugh people actually like stuff like this and The New Girl? YOU PEOPLE ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM. Cute leads do not equal good shows.

Flatline

Banned
ugh people actually like stuff like this and The New Girl? YOU PEOPLE ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM. Cute leads do not equal good shows.

This show is definitely not cute and New Girl's main advantage is the two male lead actors awesome comedic performance and Zooey's awkwardness.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
This is the first thing that I have ever enjoyed Krysten Ritter in, but I attribute that enjoyment more to the writing than to her acting. She is one of the most wretched actors I've ever seen, and I don't know how she keeps getting work. Meh. Hopefully this runs for a long time though. She's decent in it, and she can't ruin much else while she's doing it.

Watched it last night and only laughed at the end commercial, mostly to it being so god damn random. The wife enjoyed it though. I just don't find the characters even remotely likable.

Also, New Girl ftw. That show is amazing.

This show is definitely not cute and New Girl's main advantage is the two male lead actors awesome comedic performance and Zooey's awkwardness.

The strength of New Girl is in the ensemble. Schmidt happens. The people hating on New Girl probably never got past the first episode or two.

I downloaded the pilot for Dont Trust the B off iTunes since it was free, but have yet to watch it. I don't have high hopes though.

Watched it last night and only laughed at the end commercial, mostly to it being so god damn random. The wife enjoyed it though. I just don't find the characters even remotely likable.

Also, New Girl ftw. That show is amazing.

Not only do you love New Girl, but you have a Dave Grohl avatar. It is impossible to hate you.

High Five.

Just watched it- the show is solid. definitely some very random out there moments (masturbating guy...needs to go) but I'll tune in again.

Van Der Beek is the new Neil Patrick Harris though, seriously

GQman2121

Banned
I didn't hate it and I think Ritter and Van der Beek have good chemistry together. But I don't like when shows use New York city as a backdrop and then film in the streets of LA. Hopefully they won't do that very often.

This was also pretty good.

bitchinapt23.mario.ka9qj8d.gif

2nd episode was shown yesterday, so now I can say how much I loved the depravity of the plot, and the fact that they went there immediately after the pilot makes me happy. Seemed to go down well at AV Club as well, albeit more mixed opinions in here.

rezuth

I wonder how quick the dawson's creek jokes will get old

Never!

My love for this show after only two episodes is pretty scary. I do think that Van Der Beek is doing a pretty great job, I can see him being the new "Barney Stinson".

Never!

My love for this show after only two episodes is pretty scary. I do think that Van Der Beek is doing a pretty great job, I can see him being the new "Barney Stinson".

Well put.

As someone who never watched dawsons creek, Van Der Beek still makes the show for me.

Sloane

Banned
Yeah, wouldn't say I love it just yet but so far it's definitely looking pretty good and I like that it's actually portraying her as a "bitch". Giving alcohol to children, setting up her roommate with her Dad... most shows wouldn't go through with that.

Sloane

Banned
Because its a ridiculous premise for a show thats not Family Guy or something.
Well, there are a lot of shows, especially network shows, who claim that their main character is an asshole but in the end he or she always does the right thing. Here, not so much, and I think it's way more funnier.

Seanspeed

Banned
Well, there are a lot of shows, especially network shows, who claim that their main character is an asshole but in the end he or she always does the right thing. Here, not so much, and I think it's way more funnier.

Its just too outlandish for me, I guess.

It was funny at parts, but I was also rolling my eyes a lot. I dont think I could watch this regularly.

Bladenic

Liked the pilot, second episode's story was too out there. In a "wow that's so weird and creepy and not at all funny." But the jokes in the second episode were still pretty good. I think they need to get rid of the creepy guy from the window. I also like the main 3 characters (Krysten Ritter's character, June, Van Der Beek). I think it has potential but the ratings are kinda meh so who knows if it will last.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Not a bad show so far. Dawson is by far the weakest link in it though. I hope they can do something more with him.

Bladenic

Why were people expecting it to suck? It was one of the more well received shows this year. Because of the title?

Almost certainly yes. GAF tv pre-judgments are usually wrong though. I remember people trashing the hell out of New Girl, and look how that turned out.

Barrett2

I watched the first ten minutes of the second episode and it was one of the worst things i've seen in a long while.

ivysaur12

Banned
Almost certainly yes. GAF tv pre-judgments are usually wrong though. I remember people trashing the hell out of New Girl, and look how that turned out.

TV-GAF just likes to make blanket judgments about shows before they've seen them. Remember guys, sci-fi is ALWAYS worth hyping due to their original content and potential ground-breakingness! All other shows are unoriginal pieces of shit!

GQman2121

Banned
I just watched the second episode, and while I can appreciate what they're trying to do with a network show, there's just no way this is going to catch on. The basic plot seems better suited for a movie involving Josh Hartnett - not a sitcom.

Also, not only did they film on the streets of LA again but they did it a bunch of times this episode and they did it with terrible cuts where the traffic was there one frame and gone the next. They need to stay in the studio or shoot exclusively on the Fox lot.

Replicant

I fell in love with this show right away after watching the pilot. I couldn't help but grinning all the way through. Moar!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom