• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Trump calls for no debate moderators a week after praising them

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

Austria presidential run-off: TV debate turns to 'slugfest'
Just two candidates, sitting opposite each other as the cameras roll, debating the issues ahead of Austria's presidential run-off election - with no moderator or topic list. Live on Sunday night prime-time TV. What could possibly go wrong?
_89707084_89704237.jpg

I CAN NOT wait to watch this debate. Trump put on the spot, asked specifics, squirming under scrutiny. Of course he's just going to deflect criticism and distract people's attention from anything he can't answer (which will be anything other than high his wall will be), because that's all he's good for... but it will still be highly entertaining.
That's not going to happen. Please. They're going to be lobbying softballs at him the whole time.

"I don't want any moderators so I can yell over Hilary when she says something I don't like"
Pretty much, yeah. I'm half expecting him to get to the point where we hear:

Hillary: "Water is wet."
Trump: "Nope, it's actually dry until our government made it wet."

He's basically saying "When I inevitably lose the debate, please don't judge me too harshly because obviously the deck was stacked against me."

Yep. He's already trying to make excuses for what he knows will be a loss. Pathetic. And to think his supporters think of him as strong. The shit he does shows he's a weak little man who had more excuses than answers.

Do a lot of people seriously think he's going to do this? I highly doubt it. If you think he'd seriously say that, then the version of Trump that exists in your head is a helluva lot wackier than real life Trump.

I could almost see him rattling off, "You're acting like a b-" *flippant expression* "well, I don't wanna say it, that would be impolite..."

(Trump plant yells "Bitch!")

Trump points, "I didn't say that. I didn't say it."

And that's okay in his head. He's done it before.

SoulUnison

Banned
Because he'd be so "fair" to the venue if it was just him and Clinton on a stage unchecked.

If they went that route it'd probably be not even 10 minutes into the debate before he called her a bitch, 20 minutes before he just straight up hits her.

And yeah, for a guy obsessed with how "hard" and "tough" he comes across, he sure is the first person to start crying that things are "unfair."

Realyst

I may be chicken little-ing about this, but I really don't want to see Trump lower expectations so much that he overperforms and gains a few points as a result. This is Trump's strategy with these comments.

The problem is that Hillary has to show restraint, yet be in full command of the debate. That will be the only way she becomes the clear winner of the debate. She can't obliterate him, but she can't wear kid gloves either. Biden had to show restraint towards Palin in 2008, Kerry towards Bush in 2004. Both times, the underdogs (Palin and Bush) exceeded everyone's expectations and many proclaimed them winners of their debates.

Hopefully, her debate coaches are aware of this, and are coaching her to be more like Biden in his 2012 debate with Paul Ryan.

You really think Lester Holt is just going to lob softballs with no follow ups?

Yeah I think they'll be soft. I don't think you're going to see a repeat of the "please continue governor" scenario that we had with Romney in 2012. There won't be any Instant fact checking or calling the candidates on their bullshit in real time. Which is what we need but it normally just doesn't happen.

GutsOfThor

Doesn't this shitbag realize that a moderator is the only thing preventing Clinton from absolutely and unmercifully crushing him?

Trump believes you can't lose if you con people into believing you were unfairly cheated. He does this with everything. He will do it when he loses the election. He is always a winner, but everyone unfairly has it out for him. Rinse and repeat. I don't know if he was ever serious about being president, but at this point it's pretty obvious what he's doing.

I'm a winner and got screwed, now give me that tv contract money again.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I still think he's going to drop out of the second and theird debate if the first goes badly enough...

PLEASE make it go badly enough for him, Hillary.

Do a lot of people seriously think he's going to do this? I highly doubt it. If you think he'd seriously say that, then the version of Trump that exists in your head is a helluva lot wackier than real life Trump.

"bitch", probably not. I do think Hillary would not have a hard time baiting him into insulting her some other way without swearing.

Full Trump quote: "I'm going to be treated very, very unfairly by the moderators. I think we should have a debate with no moderators — just Hillary and I sitting there, talking. In fact, we shouldn't even have Hillary. It will be just me talking to myself. It will be terrific."

I still think he's going to drop out of the second and theird debate if the first goes badly enough...

PLEASE make it go badly enough for him, Hillary.

"bitch", probably not. I do think Hillary would not have a hard time baiting him into insulting her some other way without swearing.

I don't know if he'll swear but I would not be surprised to see him lose it and become unhinged. Imagine if he got a "please proceed Governor" moment, he would be livid.

On the other hand though we've seen him every time he's come into contact with someone in power he becomes very small and cowardly. I could see him like that as well.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

As far as insults are concerned, he'd just do his usual Trumpian epithets at the most ( Little Marco, Lyin' Ted, Low Energy, Crooked Hillary, etc.)

Even then, if he can project an image of presidentiality and decorum that resonates with a lot of undecided voters, the thought that the media really is biased against Trump is going to get a lot of traction, justifiably or not.

But I could be wrong. I don't think acting more uncouth at the debates is in Trump's best interest, and I think he knows that. He also knows the difference in tone from one of his wacky rallies vs. a presidential debate forum. That's what a good entertainer does.

Another hypocritical position for someone who wins votes by talking about how the elite doesn't have to play by the same rules as everyone else. This is just the latest example of how Trump represents his own assertions of others' malfeasance.

Actually heard someone on NPR suggest this style of debate, citing that it was Nixon and Kennedy who preferred to include the press. They were saying that what we think of a modern debate is more akin to simultaneous press conferences rather than a real back and forth argument. They also mentioned this debate between Clinton and Brown on Donahue:

https://youtu.be/feNy2tUqNYM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom