• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Trump calls for no debate moderators a week after praising them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merc_

I'm guessing he's getting more and more worried the closer we get to the deadline. He already knows his usual bluster won't work in a debate setting.

Toxi

Banned
I'm guessing he's getting more and more worried the closer we get to the deadline. He already knows his usual bluster won't work in a debate setting.
"C'mon pneumonia, you're a very good medical condition, I love yah, but you gotta keep Crooked Hillary in bed another three weeks..."

Monocle

I really do hope he wins just to see what happens.
Spoiler:

- lots of dead people
- hate crimes on the rise
- open bigotry on an unseen scale, as the worst of us are emboldened by Trump's success
- education and science and foreign relations thoroughly screwed
- the death of the free press
- a conservative leaning Supreme Court that will roll back decades upon decades of civil rights advances and spoil the best years of the next generation of young Americans
- increased corporate influence in politics
- millions of immigrants displaced, millions more ethnic minorities lumped in with "the bad ones"
- rampant social conservatism, as the bigoted ignoramuses raised up by Trump's administration attack the nation's most vulnerable minority groups with impunity
- widespread human rights abuses by the military and police (I mean, more than usual)
- valuable time to address global warming totally squandered
- possibly nuclear war

You know, the fun stuff.

And that's just some of the things that are easy to infer from Trump's rhetoric, temperament, and childlike grasp of highly complex and sensitive domestic and geopolitical issues.

So, uh, keep cheering on the madman, bud.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Wait, this is the Trump that is "chomping at the bit" to debate Hillary? Well, at least he's got his built-in excuse once he loses. Dude is as full of shit as he has ever been, since I was much younger listening to his nonsense in NYC. He was a con artist then, and a con artist now.

Too bad the country's full of suckers.

Actually heard someone on NPR suggest this style of debate, citing that it was Nixon and Kennedy who preferred to include the press. They were saying that what we think of a modern debate is more akin to simultaneous press conferences rather than a real back and forth argument. They also mentioned this debate between Clinton and Brown on Donahue:

https://youtu.be/feNy2tUqNYM

This makes the assumption that both are willing to engage in a debate. Trump would just use literally every logical fallacy known to man, constantly cut her off, and blatantly disengage whenever he'd be presented with facts.

Fat4all

Banned
I have a feeling within 15 mins Trump would walk out and stage a press conference outside the building, just to draw attention away from the debate.

This makes the assumption that both are willing to engage in a debate. Trump would just use literally every logical fallacy known to man, constantly cut her off, and blatantly disengage whenever he'd be presented with facts.
Oh, for sure. You would need a moderator with someone like Trump just to keep things civil.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

But that would be awesome because Hill and Bam are super intelligent, know their shit inside out, and aren't petulant children. Trump is a fucking moron that would blather nonsense loud and proud like a cartoonish frat boy, talking over Hill any chance he had. Nah, he needs a leash and that is exactly what he will get. Sad!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Crazy thing about Hillary debate planning:

Hillary Arsenal

1. Huge list of facts, policy and details that Trump has zero grasp of.

2. Huge list of hot button psychological attacks he can't rise above.

3. Huge list of awful racist sexist homophobic and contradictory statements to repeat back to him.

Trump Arsenal

Outrageous lies and a pathological inability to talk to women like they're adults.

Measley

I'm voting for Hillary as soon as I get my absentee ballot. I'm fucking done with Trump, the media, and this election.

benjipwns

Banned
How do you debate without a moderator? he would probably just shout a bunch of BS and leave.
An actual debate you can do without a moderator. It was no problem for Lincoln and Douglas in one example (or seven) that probably is too obscure for anyone to know about. But for joint press conferences like these you obviously need a "press" there to ask the questions.

Though I suppose you could have the audience ask the questions and the candidates could just call on their plants undecided voters to do so.

Monocle

Crazy thing about Hillary debate planning:

Hillary Arsenal

1. Huge list of facts, policy and details that Trump has zero grasp of.

2. Huge list of hot button psychological attacks he can't rise above.

3. Huge list of awful racist sexist homophobic and contradictory statements to repeat back to him.

Trump Arsenal

Outrageous lies and a pathological inability to talk to women like they're adults.
He says what we're all thinking! A liar like Hillary has no counter for the truth!

Also, the biased media is going to literally hack his words in real time to make a fool of him.

Slayven

But that would be awesome because Hill and Bam are super intelligent, know their shit inside out, and aren't petulant children. Trump is a fucking moron that would blather nonsense loud and proud like a cartoonish frat boy, talking over Hill any chance he had. Nah, he needs a leash and that is exactly what he will get. Sad!

Yo Hillary and Obama kicking back and just shooting the shit would be amazing. Little sip of something something

An actual debate you can do without a moderator. It was no problem for Lincoln and Douglas in one example (or seven) that probably is too obscure for anyone to know about. But for joint press conferences like these you obviously need a "press" there to ask the questions.

Though I suppose you could have the audience ask the questions and the candidates could just call on their plants undecided voters to do so.
Politics is more civilized now than it was in the 1860s. We should strive for higher standards, just like we have done all election.

benjipwns

Banned
Politics is more civilized now than it was in the 1860s. We should strive for higher standards, just like we have done all election.
True, back then people were really nuts. Claiming they'd secede from the nation if they lost an election and stuff. Democrats saying the Republicans were radicals who would destroy the nation for political gain. All kinds of false rumors about candidates. And the media supporting all of it.

True, back then people were really nuts. Claiming they'd secede from the nation if they lost an election and stuff. Democrats saying the Republicans were radicals who would destroy the nation for political gain. All kinds of false rumors about candidates. And the media supporting all of it.

I see what you did there =)

johnsmith

remember me

HuzAIR2.jpg

Aylinato

Isn't it crazy that democrats and republicans switched spots.

BOOM RoASTED

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I may be chicken little-ing about this, but I really don't want to see Trump lower expectations so much that he overperforms and gains a few points as a result. This is Trump's strategy with these comments.

I agree. Though I think it's going to happen no matter what. As long as he does not literally shit on the stage, the man is going to be declared a winner just for standing there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom