• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country 2 turns 20

Different games? I always thought those games were just ports of the SNES games.

So they're original, using the same assets, albeit in less capable hardware?
I only ever owned DKL and it wasn't a direct port from what I recall, so I just assumed the next two are different games also.

Different games? I always thought those games were just ports of the SNES games.

So they're original, using the same assets, albeit in less capable hardware?

Sort of. DKL is actually an entirely new game, with almost entirely unique enemies and environments.

Whereas DKL2 & DKL3 are a bit more faithful to the original game, reusing most assets (DKL2 especially, as it even reuses level names), but have new stories and completely unique level designs.

I rather enjoyed all 3, even if they aren't quite on par with the originals...except for maybe DKL3 which might be better than DKC3 for me

Retro I know you're reading this... you did a good job but please bring back:

koin.gif

nostalgia_number_49__king_k__rool_by_yoursuperhero_by_zacmariozero-d8ylnvh.gif

kiddy_on_rattly_by_phyreburnz-d806ltz.gif
dksquitterani.gif

ps: you can just ignore my opinions and give what you think we want :)

ItIsOkBro

Such a great game.

Yeah, it makes things so easy. Funny thing is that her hair spin is mostly a crutch for begginers. In DKC2 Diddy was the preferred character for Speed Runs while from DKC TF Cranky was considered the best.

Honestly I've been meaning to do a Diddy only 102% run, every time I play I hair spin my way past lots of stuff. What better time to do it than now.

Nothing but good things I can say about this game. It's probably my favourite platformer overall, and definitely has my favourite OST in any game. Amazing OP!

Pretty amazing how much Rare improved upon the first game. The quality jump from DKC1 to DKC2 is crazy.

Nasley

Neo Member
Bless DKC2, it's just so good, and it OST is the GOAT. I go back and play it almost yearly actually (last time was in June).

daTRUballin

Great OP friend Owl

I wanna talk about the DK Coin for a minute aka the greatest platformer collectible of all-time.

200px-DKCoin_DKC2.png

You collect things in platformers. That's been the standard procedure since players started running into all those coins in Super Mario Bros 1 and seeing that the game kept track of them. As the genre evolved, the variety and scarcity of the kind of collectibles increased. Some, like the DK bananas in DKC or the rings in Sonic, are basically everywhere, and work as guide posts to tell you what areas you haven't been to yet. Others, like extra lives or invincibility power-ups, are more rare and thus more special.

DKC2 has MANY collectibles, including 1-2 bonus rooms for Kremcoins that will take you to the Lost World, the hidden post-game world filled with devious challenges. But there is only ONE DK Coin per level.

dkc2___spinning_dk_coin_by_ribozurai.gif
Somewhere in this level is this big, shiny, golden badge of awesomeness, waiting for you to find. The levels aren't THAT big, so where could it be!? As players explore the stages, they start to have a conversation with the developers. They start to learn what kind of hiding places these things would be in. There are little rules Rareware sets up to guide the player.

For one thing, every time you see a single banana, you know its a safe route. This is the first time you've gotten Engarde, they want you to hold A to you his special move and smash into that box revealing a secret. If a banana is over what looks to be a bottomless pit, you can jump in knowing full well it won't kill you. When the game's momentum naturally pushes you in one direction, or you find a little secret...dig deeper. Isn't there something suspicious about that area, why would it be there? Push a little further in the other direction, and there's that DK coin!

Here's one of my favorites. This is near the beginning of a new level, and since this is a 2D platformer, you natural inclination is to run to the right. But as soon as you star the level, you hear the familar buzzing of the Zinger enemies. Well...they aren't here on the right? Its because they're actually on the left! You have to use the "beginning of the level DK Barrel" to get past them. Look at the way Rare tries to guide the players with the banana trail, teaching them a higher level movement mechanic which is is rolling off an edge and then jumping at the last second to cover more ground. You then have to careful jump(or use your post-hit invinciblity) to get to the treasure chest in the back, which can only be opened by smashing it against the four zingers, to unlock the DK Coin.

This is the only DK Coin hidden at the left side of the screen, but its the kind of thing that keeps you on your toes. Hell, one of them is actually hidden inside a bonus room. A secret within a secret.

Best thing of all, you wanna click all 40 of these because fuck Cranky Kong. Every time you check on your DK Coin collection status, Cranky Kong talks about what a fuckin joke of a video game hero you are. Look at Sonic and and Earthworm Jim over there with the trash! That's you if you can't even manage 30 of them!

CrankysVideoGameHeroes.png

You get all 40, Cranky Kong finally acknowledges you as a true hero, and goddamnit it feels good.

Haha! I've always thought that little stab at Sega was pretty funny xD

daTRUballin

One of the best games ever made. It's sad how many judge the entire trilogy based solely on the first one.

Agreed. The first one wasn't even a bad game! A lot of people criticize the first one and say it wasn't as good as future DKC games were, but I think DKC1 was just fine. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. It's a classic. It's fun to play through every once in awhile. It's short and sweet, and it makes the game less complicated than the other ones were. Not saying the other games were inferior, but I really like the simplicity of the game compared to its sequels.

This and Yoshi's Island made a large part of my childhood. DKC2 feels like lightning in a bottle. I get so many feels listening to songs from it still.

undead77

I enjoyed the first a lot, but DC2 was the bomb. I enjoyed Diddy+Trixie combo better then the first and by far the third.

The OST was great, but the first game still has this tune - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDvKwSVuUGA

Aquatic Ambiance is one of the best tunes ever created imo. Honestly, RARE just knew how to make awesome music, from all the Donkey Kongs, then Killer Instinct, all the way to Goldeneye.

This fucking game. What a masterpiece. Played it on SNES, PC, and on a Blackberry. The levels are absolutely perfect. My favorite SNES game by a mile. Still can't fathom how good this game holds up.

AniHawk

this is the standout in the dkc series as far as i'm concerned, and i didn't first play it until about 8 years ago.

KevinCow

Banned
I still remember getting this for Christmas. Best Christmas ever.

There isn't a single bad thing I can say about this game. It's just so good in every conceivable way.

Easily my favorite Rare game and one of my favorite games in general. It has a fantastic soundtrack, really cool, moody setting and the gameplay is top-notch. Pirate crocodiles are the best.

I think I slightly prefer Tropical Freeze, but I feel Retro still built off a lot of what DKC and moreso DKC2 introduced, with the latter doing a ton with its animal buddies and secrets in a way Retro hasn't quite matched yet. I wants my goddamn Squitter and Enguarde back in the eventual next DK game.

DarkOxygen

Neo Member
4. Rewarding secrets
Perhaps one of the strongest aspects of DKC2 is how it integrates bonus rooms into the game as something that will reward the player. Mercifully the DKC1 days of plunging down random pits in the hope of finding an off screen bonus barrel are gone, more thought and care is placed upon these hiding places with collectables and objects offering hints to the observant players that something isn't quite what it seems or you can fork over cash to Cranky for somewhat cryptic clues.

Amen. The Devil May Cry and Bayonetta games have a similar progression - the first entries have no rhyme or reason to how their secret areas are located, but subsequent games are much more structured and logical.

Salty Hippo

Agreed. The first one wasn't even a bad game! A lot of people criticize the first one and say it wasn't as good as future DKC games were, but I think DKC1 was just fine. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. It's a classic. It's fun to play through every once in awhile. It's short and sweet, and it makes the game less complicated than the other ones were. Not saying the other games were inferior, but I really like the simplicity of the game compared to its sequels.

You misunderstand me my fellow Rare fan. I meant that I know several people who aren't much into DKC and they have only played 1.

Don't get me wrong, I love the first game, it's an absolute classic that blew everyone away at the time, but like many others in this thread I also think the sequels improved upon it in almost every way.

...and now I feel old.

I remember how excited I was when I got these games for Christmas the years of their release. I woke my parents up at 3am because I couldn't sleep when I knew I was getting Ace Ventura: Pet Detective on VHS and Donkey Kong Country. I then played it all day.

I got the other two for Christmas and played the hell out of them. I loved each one, but may like DKC 2 a bit more than the others.

Give me one of the first three DKC games over the others anyday.

Easily my favorite DKC game. Man I love the music in this game. Animal Antics sucks though. THat last battle with K. Rool in the Lost World was mad epic.

SlickVic

DKC1 and DKC2 were the first 2 video games I owned. I don't think I ever got past World 5 on either of them on my own. Games were too hard to me, but I did enjoy them anyways. Many years later in high school (PS2 was already out at this point so these games were already vintage, but I still had my SNES hooked up in the basement) one of my good friends who was much better at the game than me got us through to the final boss, but I don't think we ever finished the lost worlds. I was still awful at the game, so my job whenever he died was to try secure the DK barrel (which I was usually unsuccessful at). Still was a good time though.

I love Donkey Kong Country 2, in my opinion it's easily the best Donkey Kong Country game (I haven't played Tropical Freeze yet though, yes I know, I should) and definitely one of my favourite games for the Super Nintendo.

That DK Coin at the end of Web Woods tho.

Fantastic thread, and a great way to look back at my favorite game of all time. Absolute platforming bliss, and may be the most well-executed difficulty curve in all platformers. Web Woods is the only level that is "out of place".

Neiteio

Fantastic thread, and a great way to look back at my favorite game of all time. Absolute platforming bliss, and may be the most well-executed difficulty curve in all platformers. Web Woods is the only level that is "out of place".
What's wrong with Web Woods? It's atmospheric and has the GOAT animal buddy, Squitter.

ibagtazwmkk2cge6jz1.png

Lockjaw's Saga & Bramble Blast are the GOAT.

I played the hell out of this game as a kid, and it's one of my favorites.

Not to mention how good the gameboy color version is, despite the hardware.

What's wrong with Web Woods? It's atmospheric and has the GOAT animal buddy, Squitter.

I don't think anything is wrong with the level by itself. My comment was in regard to the difficulty curve of the game. It's a very long level and is really the only difficulty spike out of the non-Lost World levels.

Dad

Squitter is too good. People like to talk up the Cloud Suit in Super Mario Galaxy 2, but Squitter was pioneering that free-form platforming goodness

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Probably the best 2-D platformer I've ever played.

That final world...that final boss...that music...

But I've got to disagree on one thing in the OP. It is almost too hard for its own good. It's up there with the early Castlevania games and is easily the toughest in the entire DKC series.

Neiteio

Someone should ask the ex-Rare people on Twitter to see if they have any high-res renders of the Crocodile Isle map. We've been using the tiny image extracted from the ROM for so long... Maybe they have a high-res version on a drive somewhere?

Dizzan

MINI Member
Still one of my favourite franchises of all time. I was blown away at the time by the graphics and music. Especially the graphics seemed unbelievable back then.

I haven't played it on the Wii U because I don;t own one but I love just watching the vidoes of it.

Would love to see how it looks on future hardware.

Best game of the entire SNES library. Let alone plaformer (or best DKC).

I absolutely adore everything about this game. It's as close as perfect as a game can be.

And yes. Dixie is a great female protagonists Nintendo and Rare have repeatedly failed to bring back into the limelight since she started in her own blockbuster game DKC3.

I love Donkey Kong Country 2, in my opinion it's easily the best Donkey Kong Country game (I haven't played Tropical Freeze yet though, yes I know, I should) and definitely one of my favourite games for the Super Nintendo.

Retro's DKC games have different design goals. Collectables are less emphasized (hidden items don't unlock playable content), but the platforming is ramped up considerably with a focus on moving platforms/environments and a beefed up roll jump that launches DK across the screen like he's shot out of a cannon. Atmosphere and music are debatable between the two imo (both aspects are generally darker in DKC2 and more upbeat in TF, though I feel they hover around the same level of quality).

This is a joke, right? I distinctly recall you being a DKC2 superfan. :)

Oh. My mistake ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )

jb1234

Retro's DKC games have different design goals. Collectables are less emphasized (hidden items don't unlock playable content)

One of the most disappointing aspects of the Retro games, personally. I never saw any need to collect the puzzle pieces (as they don't unlock levels) and I missed the individually designed bonus rooms of the DKC games (especially 2). Games are terrific otherwise.

(I also missed the DK coins.)

One of the most disappointing aspects of the Retro games, personally. I never saw any need to collect the puzzle pieces (as they don't unlock levels) and I missed the individually designed bonus rooms of the DKC games (especially 2). Games are terrific otherwise.

(I also missed the DK coins.)

I think it's an acceptable trade off for how incredible the platforming and level designs are.

Altazor

one of my favorite games of all time with my favorite videogame OST of all time.

And I love a lot of them. Hell, I recognize there's plenty of them that are more complex, more thematically rich, better sounding, lengthier, more epic and even more catchy.

But I don't love any of them as much as I love DKC2's.

So, here's to you, DKC2. 20 years is a long time, and I still can remember when I first saw you at my cousins' house and was hooked. I had to play you. My parents never bought me the game (I only had DKC1), but I rented it pleeeenty of times anyway ;)

PS: Fucking David Wise.

Randam

Daddy's Kong Quest -> Conquest.
Get it?

For some reason I only played part to last year.

Bought part 1 with my own money back then and loved it, but never bought part 2.

Borrowed part 3 from a friend and loved it too.
Then got my PlayStation shortly after that.

Banned
Greatest SNES game of all time for me. From music to design to sound to graphics to the 90'a vibe. It brings back childhood memories and anything nostalgic about the 90's for me. Legendary soundtrack.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
2e9Sgh.jpg

Awesome OP. One of the best games ever made, no hyperbole. If I had one complaint about this game it would be how nonsensical its areas are. You go from lava world to swamp world to circus land all in a row (maybe not in that order). I know it's just a fun romp but still. DKC1 and DKC3 had a very strong thematic focus. I suppose it does make this one stand out, especially its lost world, which is basically this complaint personified.

250px-Lost_World_DKC2_Animated_Unopened.gif

Rainbow crocodile volcano surrounded by ice capped mountains, a jungle, a lake, and a volcano. Because why not.

Still, I have very fond memories of this game and it does hold up, having played it in Wii U VC earlier this year. I remember owning DKC1 and DKC3, and never this game, so I always had to rent it or borrow it from a friend. It gave it a kind of holy grail aspect, like, you can't have this because it's too good. It is definitely the best in the trilogy, and better than either Returns game, too, I think. It would undoubtedly be Rare's magnum opus if Banjo Kazooie didn't exist. Happy birthday.

bJ0YQpq.gif
dixie_guitar_loop.gif~c200

Bonus: Yes, this soundtrack is indeed
ibagtazwmkk2cge6jz1.png
and it is in fact probably the source of his most famous work.

Here's some covers by Burning Idol. Hot Head Bop, Mining Melancholy, and Stickerbrush Symphony

Top Bottom