• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country 2 turns 20

daTRUballin

Baron! That's his name. I couldn't remember if it was Doctor or Professor. I guess Baron makes sense too.

And you're right. They're all (He's) in the wrong final battle locations!

DKC2 had a castle too though. It just wasn't the final location.

Yeah, and to be fair, DKC2 also started on Gangplank Galleon (a ship) which is where the first game left off. So I guess that fits Captain K Rool, even though it's only the first area. Plus, there's other levels in the game that take place on a ship.

He's King K Rool in DKC where he's the king of the Kremlings.
Captain K Rool in DKC2 where he and the Kremlings have become pirates.
Dr K Rool in DKC3 where he's a mad scientist living in a castle

Ironically when he's a captain he flies in a helicopter. But when he's king he has a ship.
It's Kaptain K. Rool!

The K makes it sound cool.

CT is GOAT SNES game, but that's only because its GOAT game period.

2nd place isn't bad tho.

GoEsUoe.png

we cool

Altazor

DKC2 had a castle too though. It just wasn't the final location.

it was such a good troll moment.

STRONGHOLD SHOWDOWN implies it's ON (like Donkey Kong), you're about to kick some ass and take names and what not. Like, Final Battle-type stuff. This is it. Top of Crocodile Isle. Let's rescue Donkey.

And there he is, dangling like bait... and bait he is, 'cause the Flying Krock appears and you realize you've still got one more level to go.

daTRUballin

it was such a good troll moment.

STRONGHOLD SHOWDOWN implies it's ON (like Donkey Kong), you're about to kick some ass and take names and what not. Like, Final Battle-type stuff. This is it. Top of Crocodile Isle. Let's rescue Donkey.

And there he is, dangling like bait... and bait he is, 'cause the Flying Krock appears and you realize you've still got one more level to go.

Yeah, Rare always did that in their games. They always tricked players into thinking that the game is over when it's actually not. :p

Altazor

Gonna bump this one with a cover and a remix of Stickerbush Symphony.

That remix ("Brambles in the Breeze") is one of the first ones from OCRemix I ever heard, like... 10 years ago or so. Time fucking flies. And I still love it like the first time I listened to it.

Dad

Going back to the hardest level in the series, I think Tropical Freeze's Platform Problems (5-k) gave me the most trouble overall.

Player in the video using Dixie though. FRAUD

I probably dumped 30 lives into this level before realized the game actually shows where on the tracks the platforms flip. I actually got pretty close to beating it just based on rote memorization. I'm dumb sometimes

Really great OP, Nocturnowl! I'm glad someone else likes DKC2 as much as I do and remembered its anniversary. I almost made a thread myself, but I didn't want to do a quick and lame one.

DKC2 is (obviously) my favourite game of all time. I play it at least once a month and it never fails to amaze me. It's something special when a game is still so much fun after like a million playthroughs. I also have this tradition where I end the year with one more playthrough and start the new one with another one.

One day I will make a big and lengthy thread about why I love this game so much.

But for now: happy birthday, best game ever <3

Really great OP, Nocturnowl! I'm glad someone else likes DKC2 as much as I do and remembered its anniversary. I almost made a thread myself, but I didn't want to do a quick and lame one.

DKC2 is (obviously) my favourite game of all time. I play it at least once a month and it never fails to amaze me. It's something special when a game is still so much fun after like a million playthroughs. I also have this tradition where I end the year with one more playthrough and start the new one with another one.

One day I will make a big and lengthy thread about why I love this game so much.

Every month? Damn. More power to you, though.

Neiteio

Wow, you play it once a month, plus once at the end of the year, and again at the start of the New Year? So you play through the entirety of DKC2 14 times each year?

How many years have you been doing this? And how fast are you able to complete the game at this point?

ItIsOkBro

I started my Diddy only run on the 20th anniversary and I'm stuck on the final boss fight. It is ridiculously hard when you don't have Dixie's hair spin.

Every month? Damn. More power to you, though.
Wow, you play it once a month, plus once at the end of the year, and again at the start of the New Year? So you play through the entirety of DKC2 14 times each year?

How many years have you been doing this? And how fast are you able to complete the game at this point?
Well, my username has to come from somewhere.
I think I probably need around 1 to 1 1/2 hours for a run, but I purposely don't use the the warp barrels in the first two worlds and also skip all bonus barrels on my regular playthroughs. Still not on a speedrunner level I guess haha. I don't excactly know when I started playing it so much, but I've been doing it for many years now.

What can I say, I just absolutely adore this game and I don't think I will ever get tired of it.

dickroach

I've never been able to become 100% certain of whether I like this game or Yoshi's Island more, but I think that OP may have won me over (temporarily)

I'm gonna go play this game for the next few hours. I remember last time I gave it a shot a few years ago I was able to 102% it sub-4hr. hopefully I still remember it like the back of my paw.

I think I probably need around 1 to 1 1/2 hours for a run, but I purposely don't use the the warp barrels in the first two worlds and also skip all bonus barrels on my regular playthroughs. Still not on a speedrunner level I guess haha. I don't excactly know when I started playing it so much, but I've been doing it for many years now.

What can I say, I just absolutely adore this game and I don't think I will ever get tired of it.
Good for you, as long as you enjoy it, my friend. Which system do you play on, SNES?

Neiteio

That's cool. I'm curious to know, what are your favorite levels after beating the game so many times?

Fantastic thread. Replaying this game right now and it's growing on me. Found it annoyingly difficult at first but the better I get the more I enjoy it. Found all the the DK coins up to bramble scramble on the 4th world. That one is fooling me pretty good.

The music is godly though. Right now it's my fav dkc over TF and the first one.

Good for you, as long as you enjoy it, my friend. Which system do you play on, SNES?

That's cool. I'm curious to know, what are your favorite levels after beating the game so many times?

Sorry for the late response, guys!
I usually play the Wii Virtual Console version on my CRT with the Club Nintendo Snes controller, since my Snes isn't working that well anymore.

It's very hard to settle for favourites, but from the top of my head I would say that I have a sweet spot for levels like Bramble Blast, Web Woods and Windy Well.
I love them all almost equally though.

I prefer to pretend DKRDS doesn't exist, because admitting it exists is to admit that creepy redesign of Tiny happened.

I like pretending it doesn't exist because they filled the game with unnecessary touch screen gameplay. AND they got rid of the Silver Coin Challenges.

Top Bottom