• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns: New Previews and Trailer (10/28)

But I did manage to unlock the soundtrack to Worlds 1 and 2, fully playable outside of the game, and yes, Retro Studios did put in a remixed version of the incredible Aquatic Ambiance from the original Donkey Kong Country, heard in a water level when you're riding on the back of giant whales.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Willy105 said:
Forget that.

DIDDY KONG IS ONLY FOR 2P.

Honestly in my experience I only cared about character selection because Donkey Kong sucked in DKC1 (being able to bash big baddies was irrelevant compared to Diddy's speed of movement) and Diddy Kong sucked in DKC2 (cartwheel jump was inferior to hair twirl).

They all have Poochie-level awful character designs to me, and Diddy's only gotten worse with his stupid peanut bazooka or whatever Nintendo thinks is hip these days, but I'd be disappointed if the only 1p character choice was Brutus Maximum DKC1 Donkey Kong.

Father_Brain said:
IGN preview confirms that Aquatic Ambience is in.

No problems here, then.

GCX

I'm still not sure why so many are skeptical about the music.

Sure, Kenji Yamamoto isn't David Wise but he's still the composer of one of the best vg soundtracks of the 21th century.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
EatChildren said:
I dont know if people were done, moreso tired of seeing the exact same levels over and over again. This is the first time in ages Nintendo have shown some new stuff from the game, and its here we can finally see the kind of variety the levels are going to have.
Good point

I just watched the trailer (didn't see it linked earlier) OMG THAT DOES LOOK AMAZING. Retro Studios truly are something special. For me, the Metroid Prime games are some of the best games I've ever played. At the very least, even if you don't like Metroid Prime, you have to give the studio credit for their artistic abilities. They are truly gods, and I would love to see them work on the 3DS or Nintendo's next console. Their graphics are incredible for Wii.

faridmon

RawkHawk2010 said:
What are you talking about?
It just doesn't feel like DKC game.

I miss the pre-rendering graphics :(

Regulus Tera said:
It looks several magnitudes better than classic DKC.
I strongly disagree. Thiis looks like a normal 2.5 D game that have plagued us lately.

Treb

Game continues to look fantastic with each new trailer, and it's nice to see some more variety in this one. Hyped!

WillyFive

Stumpokapow said:
They all have Poochie-level awful character designs to me, and Diddy's only gotten worse with his stupid peanut bazooka or whatever Nintendo thinks is hip these days, but I'd be disappointed if the only 1p character choice was Brutus Maximum DKC1 Donkey Kong.

The peanut guns were Rare's, debuted in DK64. And Diddy Kong rules, what are you talking about? He has a more livelier personality than DK, just with less history. He's definitely my Kong character of choice.

faridmon said:
It just doesn't feel like DKC game.

I miss the pre-rendering graphics :(

But now you get the same visuals, but in real time! Science!

farnham

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Honestly in my experience I only cared about character selection because Donkey Kong sucked in DKC1 (being able to bash big baddies was irrelevant compared to Diddy's speed of movement) and Diddy Kong sucked in DKC2 (cartwheel jump was inferior to hair twirl).

No problems here, then.
i want dixie goddamit! she is the best!

This is an incredibly minor nitpick, but the way DK bounces off of enemies with his arms hanging down does not look good. The rolling bounce is still in there, but it looks like you really need to be going fast or hold down a button or something to do it.

EmCeeGramr said:
This is an incredibly minor nitpick, but the way DK bounces off of enemies with his arms hanging down does not look good. The rolling bounce is still in there, but it looks like you really need to be going fast or hold down a button or something to do it.

You know, watching trailers, I too thought DK looked rather goofy, but it didn't bother me at all while playing the game. Maybe I just wasn't paying as much attention, but I think the animation style works pretty well in context.

Cygnus X-1

HOLY FUCKING CRAP AT THE TRAILER!

redbarchetta said:
As one of the authors of the GameXplain preview, I'm more than happy to answer any questions you guys may have about the game.

Music: is the quality and variety as great as Diddy's Kong Quest?

Cygnus X-1 said:
HOLY FUCKING CRAP AT THE TRAILER!

Music: is the quality and variety as great as Diddy's Kong Quest?

Variety: Yes. Quality? Hard to say--it was difficult to hear, but it seems really good. But Diddy's Kong Quest is a hard soundtrack to beat...(heh, beat)

WillyFive

EmCeeGramr said:

I thought it looked great. Maybe it's just another case of Sonic uncurling, where there are negative reactions simply because new tech allows the animators to have more freedom of expression.

faridmon said:
But, DKC was the only game that used Pre-rendering carp in the ''right'' way :(

Well, I guess like the look of old-school models for movies, they are a hard thing to replicate.

Celine

redbarchetta said:
See my last answer about difficulty. As for level design: bloody fantastic. Absolutely trounces New Super Mario Bros Wii and pretty much most other platformers I've played the last decade. Every level feels super creative, and keeps you wanting more.
For real ?
NSMBWii has fantastic level design IMO.
What other platformers in the last decade have great level design in your experience ?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Willy105 said:
The peanut guns were Rare's, debuted in DK64. And Diddy Kong rules, what are you talking about? He has a more livelier personality than DK, just with less history. He's definitely my Kong character of choice.

Yes, well, we can continue this conversation when you reply to a thread about your favourite Sonic characters. ;)

LaneDS

Looks and sounds fantastic. Definitely the title I'm looking forward to most this holiday season.

...also I'm a heathen that never played DKC2 or DKC3 (but loved the first one tremendously).

Londa

Banned
GCX said:
It's the first link.

oh ok, I didn't bother to click it because it was labled "GameXplain" and I have no idea if that is a gaming site or not. Since I can't access any gaming sites I didn't bother to find out.

faridmon

Willy105 said:
Well, I guess like the look of old-school models for movies, they are a hard thing to replicate.
We live in sad times indeed.
to add to that fact, there will not be another Duran Duran band in the near future :(

Willy105 said:
Hopefully it's fun hard and not frustrating hard. The original DKC had a very big problem with this. Especially in this one. Really cheap deaths based on predicting where a moving barrel was going to be when it was out of sight.

That's because he's speeding through the video. In the actual game, you have a chance to pause and wait for the screen to catch up before firing.

Kad5

This game looks amazing but my only real concern is that it might be too short.

Overall it looks amazing and the multiplayer looks good.

Hopefully the game has tons of replay value.

Kard8p3

Kad5 said:

It has more than 70 levels.

Kad5 said:

I don't think +70 levels with staggering detail and collectibles qualifies as anything close to short.

Salsa

Willy105 said:
DIDDY KONG IS ONLY FOR 2P.

only for the second player or only to 2 player mode ?

I wanna be able to control diddy being player 1, while my friend controls DK.

I guess ill play as the second player if i cant do that.

Top Bottom