• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns |OT| Retro Studios Has Done It Again!

KevinCow said:
I swear to Jesus, Retro is trolling me personally at this point. First they take Metroid down FPS Ave, drifting further away from the traditional formula with each entry, then they directly follow up with a 2.5D revival of a completely different SNES era series, complete with nods to Super Metroid. For fuck's sake, MAKE A 2.5D METROID GAME YOU BASTARDS! WHY MUST YOU TAUNT ME?!!??

DKCR should be arriving from Amazon tomorrow (finally). Can't wait to spend some quality time with it.

Socreges

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
I swear to Jesus, Retro is trolling me personally at this point. First they take Metroid down FPS Ave, drifting further away from the traditional formula with each entry, then they directly follow up with a 2.5D revival of a completely different SNES era series, complete with nods to Super Metroid.
There are plant enemies that shoot out spores that are pretty much exactly like from a couple Metroid bosses.

If Retro did a 2D Metroid for Wii... that'd probably be the greatest thing ever.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
between Epic Yarn and this, man, what a great time for platformers.

everything about this game is classy and totally 'now'. brilliant.

hatchx

Banned
KevinCow said:
VaPVm.jpg

I don't see it?

hatchx said:
Is that really a reference or is someone looking way too into it?
Dude, even the nostril has the proper silhouette. C'mon.

TheOddOne said:
It's a little reaching for sure.
Really? I guess the Billy Mitchell tie is a stretch too then. :p

edit: The same background also has the girders from the first level of Donkey Kong, and isn't it the same level that has Game and Watch? Apparently there's a lot of references strewn throughout.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My favourite silhouette is during the sunset ocean stage, where two rock formations line up to form a banana as you pass by.

bumpkin

So far I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the job Retro's done; I endorse the thread title completely now that I've dug into the game. I've only really encountered a few minor quips that were somewhat irritating:

- The collision does feel *off* a bit, mostly on the horizontal plane (i.e. getting hit when it doesn't look like you're touching the enemy)

- The goddamn rocket barrel stage... I died a bunch of times because I couldn't mash A fast enough.

- Not crazy about the off-screen countdown when a player falls behind; would zooming out have been that difficult?

KevinCow

Banned
I kinda wonder why they changed the roll mechanics from the original DKC games. Not the whole shake to roll thing, but just generally how they worked. As BitF pointed out, there are certain animations where you can't activate the roll. So while you could tap Y immediately after turning around or starting to move in the original DKC games to get up to speed quickly, you can't use the roll to get up to speed in this one. I think this is why it doesn't feel as tight to me, and why it's hard to use to dodge boss attacks.

But even if you could use it immediately upon turning around, they seriously buffed the speed of the roll, so it would likely send you flying off into a pit more than a few times. I don't really get why they made it so much faster in the first place, though. Just for the sake of time trials?

bananaman1234

Unconfirmed Member
bumpkin said:
So far I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the job Retro's done; I endorse the thread title completely now that I've dug into the game. I've only really encountered a few minor quips that were somewhat irritating:

- The collision does feel *off* a bit, mostly on the horizontal plane (i.e. getting hit when it doesn't look like you're touching the enemy)

- The goddamn rocket barrel stage... I died a bunch of times because I couldn't mash A fast enough.

- Not crazy about the off-screen countdown when a player falls behind; would zooming out have been that difficult?

You only have to hold A to propel yourself. Mashing is just to get the rocket started.

gogojira

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I swear to Jesus, Retro is trolling me personally at this point. First they take Metroid down FPS Ave, drifting further away from the traditional formula with each entry, then they directly follow up with a 2.5D revival of a completely different SNES era series, complete with nods to Super Metroid. For fuck's sake, MAKE A 2.5D METROID GAME YOU BASTARDS! WHY MUST YOU TAUNT ME?!!??

DKCR should be arriving from Amazon tomorrow (finally). Can't wait to spend some quality time with it.

I just went on a Twitter rampage about this.

It's weird. During the development of Other M I was so relieved to see it out of Retro's hands because OMG the return of classic style Metroid. Now that we're on the other side of Other M, it obviously wasn't nearly as traditional as I was hoping for and Sakamoto did some absurd shit with Samus -- enough to at least temporarily damage her character.

Now with Donkey Kong County Returns out, Retro proves that they're more than capable of creating amazing side-scrollers and all I want for them to do is get Metroid back in their hands, but stick with this side-scrolling business.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
isoku said:
You only have to hold A to propel yourself. Mashing is just to get the rocket started.

I wonder how many people will control those sections wrong because of that. It was only a few days ago when I realized you should hold A to go up fast. I don't remember what the tutorial text said exactly, but because of that startup sequence I just kept on bashing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gram Negative Cocci said:
Make sure you stand still there when it is lined up to look like a banana.

And I'm going to go and do just that right now!

Man. End boss. I wouldn't be far off saying I spent about 30 lives on that level.

Eteric Rice

I showed this game to my friend, and we played co-op.

He was so pissed because we played for almost 8 hours straight! He had work at 4 AM the next day. :lol

We're on the factory stage with the switches. :O

kinggroin

Banned
The mine cart level with the moles...

..did anyone else find it hilarious when the first mole in the foreground is riding along minding his business when he turns to see donkey kong, then double takes and stairs at him as he descends along the track :lol

Emitan

Eteric Rice said:
I showed this game to my friend, and we played co-op.

He was so pissed because we played for almost 8 hours straight! He had work at 4 AM the next day. :lol

We're on the factory stage with the switches. :O
I try to play games slowly so I won't beat them right away and ruin the experience. And I was seriously pissing off my friend when I suggested that since we'd beaten three worlds in a row, we should start playing New Super Mario Bros Wii or Kirby Superstar or something. He eventually caved and we played Super Star. But this game is so good I really wanted to keep playing.

EatChildren

The K levels will be the death of me. 4-K. What the fuck. What the fuck. Fuck yoooouuuu.

Jasoco

Banned
I am sooooo glad they didn't make us use the gyroscope in the Wiimote to control the rocket or require screen pointing. Thank you Retro for only using waggle limited in this game. But damn you Retro for having to use waggle in this game.

Fucking pissed.

I was all set to buy this tomorrow, then find out the same retailer is having 20% off all games next Wednesday, so instead of picking the game up for $49AU tomorrow, I can get it for $36AU next week (getting $15 off for trading in PoP 360).

Yet EB are selling it for $99AU :lol

Jasoco

Banned
MindCollizion said:
The pillars on the K stages have the original Donkey Kong stage on them as well. Complete with DK himself and some barrels.
Have you seen 3-K? The Donkey Kong references are on every block! It's awesome!

Edit: Wait, 3-K was so easy. Why wasn't this one the first level? :lol

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I don't hate the roll, because it can definitely be used for speed running. One thing I loved about the original games and speed running though, was that the levels were set up great for the roll. WHat I mean by that is if you were to roll into enemies, not only would you keep rolling, but you would continue to speed up. I wish in this one if you rolled into an enemy you could keep the momentum.

.la1n

Never thought about it, suprised I didn't but hell yeah give Metroid 2D / 2.5D to Retro. They can do something worthy of the name, forget Other M ever happened. Do it Nintendo you know it's the right thing to do to atone for your sins.

EatChildren

New IP or bust. As amazingly talented as they are at handling the Metroid and Donkey Kong properties, they've earned the right to do their own thing.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
.la1n said:
Never thought about it, suprised I didn't but hell yeah give Metroid 2D / 2.5D to Retro. They can do something worthy of the name, forget Other M ever happened. Do it Nintendo you know it's the right thing to do to atone for your sins.

At this point, it's more likely that Retro will be the ones behind the next classic Metroid game than Nintendo themselves.

Top Bottom