• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze announced for WiiU

ASIS

the game has digital movement so it plays better, more precise with only the wiimote imo.

Preferred using the D Pad for moving and conserving battery life with just the wiimote. Just seemed simpler and to the point with the wiimote.

Also didn't like shaking both the wiimote and nunchuck at the same time, perhaps if I had given the control scheme a bit longer to try it would have been more comfortable.

Personally I think the Nunchuck set up is, by default, more comfortable. And the analogue stick's properties are still used pretty well, in that you can walk or run depending on the position of the stick, it is just as precise as the run button.

As far as motion goes.. It's actually more comfortable shaking both hands independently but I suppose that is up to personal preference.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Mario Kart 8 is an early 2014 title. If Donkey Kong doesn't make it for christmas Wii U's late 2013 is looking mighty barren again.

The possible lack of another 2D platformer already slated for December would turn the holiday lineup barren? Come on.

Sendou

Still, it could easily happen and make sense. Even though certain groups will hold onto some ,,wait for next Direct for megaton!!!1'' belief until the end of time, the reality is that we've already seen at least 90% of Nintendo's 2014 lineup on WiiU, which is less than one game per month, so more delays will probably have to keep the farce alive and lessen the impact of more droughts.

Is that the case really? More likely is that some titles that people are thinking are for 2014 are actually for 2015 and beyond while we haven't seen some big 2014 titles for Wii U yet. That's how Nintendo does it. Think when Pokemon X&Y was announced, when Super Mario 3D World was announced, TLoZ: A Link Between World was announced and the list goes on and on.

The possible lack of another 2D platformer already slated for December would turn the holiday lineup barren? Come on.

What does the genre have to do with anything? It's one of the biggest titles for Wii U this year and personally I was very much looking forward to it. Without it Wii U's Q4 2013 consists of some casual oriented IP's, inferior ports, HD remaster, Sonic Lost World and Super Mario 3D World. Nothing too exciting I'm afraid.

Mario Kart's not coming out this year. It's early 2014.

dkc-donkey-kong-shakehead.gif

you've got to be joking, in that case if dktf doesn't come out by christmas i'm going to flip tables.
What the hell are nintendo smoking, were the zelda wind waker bundles so successful that they decided to push some games back?

ASIS

Mario Kart is Spring 14.

Still, it could easily happen and make sense. Even though certain groups will hold onto some ,,wait for next Direct for megaton!!!1'' belief until the end of time, the reality is that we've already seen at least 90% of Nintendo's 2014 lineup on WiiU, which is less than one game per month, so more delays will probably have to keep the farce alive and lessen the impact of more droughts.

The same thing was said about January's direct though.

Also: DK is a very important title to me, I hope to god this delay isn't true.

JoeInky

Okey, there are rumors about this game being delayed until 2014 in all regions. First Amazon changed the release date from "5 December" to "undetermined" a couple of days ago, and now Xtralife says the release date is on 02/12/2014.

Anybody knows anything about this?

pls no, the release date swapping with SM3DW was the worst thing ever, don't do this to me.

Is that the case really? More likely is that some titles that people are thinking are for 2014 are actually for 2015 and beyond while we haven't seen some big 2014 titles for Wii U yet. That's how Nintendo does it. Think when Pokemon X&Y was announced, when Super Mario 3D World was announced, TLoZ: A Link Between World was announced and the list goes on and on.

That's also possible. But ends up with a similar result. (Or a even worse one)

Anyway, even though it's far from a satisfying choice, I've made my peace with Retro working on ,,fucking DK'' and I'd rather see the other titles delayed. I need my Dave :(

schuelma

What does the genre have to do with anything? It's one of the biggest titles for Wii U this year and personally I was very much looking forward to it. Without it Wii U's Q4 2013 consists of some casual oriented IP's, inferior ports, HD remaster, Sonic Lost World and Super Mario 3D World. Nothing too exciting I'm afraid.

My point is its a game in a genre already well served on the platform. The fall/holiday lineup is pretty solid in my estimation and I don't think a lack of Donkey Kong would really lessen it that much. SM3DW would be a much much bigger blow IMO.

If it gets delayed i'm going to weep like a defeated Dixie Kong. Much like Inky I was peeved enough with it swapping places with Mario, this would absolutely deflate my gaming hype for the upcoming months, all those quality titles on the way to December? they were merely going to be my appetisers for the DK main course.

The only consolation to this potential travesty (it's totally not too strong a word here) is that a delay would probably equal a more polished game.

Shiggy

So looks like Retro is big enough to support more than one project, now!

Miyamoto thinking it's possible does not equal that they are working on more than one project at the same time, unfortunately :/

Okey, there are rumors about this game being delayed until 2014 in all regions. First Amazon changed the release date from "5 December" to "undetermined" a couple of days ago, and now Xtralife says the release date is on 02/12/2014.

It was just delayed until December. Wonder whether this is a strategic delay as their spring lineup might be a thin.

MDX

Which ports are inferior?

Sendou

My point is its a game in a genre already well served on the platform. The fall/holiday lineup is pretty solid in my estimation and I don't think a lack of Donkey Kong would really lessen it that much. SM3DW would be a much much bigger blow IMO.

In my opinion when you have two big titles and you take away one it doesn't leave you with a very good situation. The fact that they share a genre is irrelevant. I want something to play on my Wii U even if it's just platformer (in fact I even prefer platformers to some extent).

Which ports are inferior?

Is this a trick question? All of them. I don't see a Rayman Legends up there.

The same thing was said about January's direct though.

What did the Jan Direct change? The year before, at E3, they've promised you all these ,,launch window'' titles for Jan-March and fresh games right afterwards. If you know Nintendo, you knew that this was BS and as usual, the E3 content (aka launch window content) was in reality almost the entirety of 2013. But we got to know that a Xeno game will come... in several years from now, yay?
Next year you'll maybe get some niche game announcements and if you're lucky, a Zelda trailer and perhaps a new Miyamoto game.
But it's clear that the rest will consist of all the shit we already know (Smash at xmas) and more delayed games (hopefully not DK...)

Anth0ny

I don't think DKC launching in December would really do much for them sales wise. They will be selling Wii Us off the power of 3D World, and it's going to happen mainly on/before Black Friday. However, that Wii U needs as many games as it could get, not sure how wise delaying it would be...

Either way, I WANT IT and I hope they don't delay it.

schuelma

In my opinion when you have two big titles and you take away one it doesn't leave you with a very good situation. The fact that they share a genre is irrelevant. I want something to play on my Wii U even if it's just platformer (in fact I even prefer platformers to some extent).

I know the Wii one sold well, but I just have never been convinced Tropical Freeze was a "big title". I could very well be wrong.

Timeaisis

I don't think there's anything to this rumor. Nintendo usually sticks to it's release schedule, apart from that swap with SM3DW.

Sendou

I know the Wii one sold well, but I just have never been convinced Tropical Freeze was a "big title". I could very well be wrong.

It was for me personally. I'm not talking about sales potential here. I'm talking about my personal tastes and what titles would need to be released this year so that Wii U would be used as much as I thought it would. Donkey Kong slipping to 2014 would affect this very negatively. I don't see anything interesting for December from Nintendo (3DS or Wii U) at all which is disappointing.

I don't think there's anything to this rumor. Nintendo usually sticks to it's release schedule, apart from that swap with SM3DW.

Not with Wii U they don't. Pikmin 3 was delayed, Wonderful 101 was delayed, Game & Wario was delayed IIRC, Summer update was delayed, Wii Fit U was delayed... Hell even Donkey Kong was delayed once already like you mentioned.

dengatron

I've already got a ton to buy this holiday season and i've got 2 2d platformers to finish on wii u already, so maybe a delay isn't necessarily a bad thing for someone in my position. it's my secondary console for nintendo exclusives, so for primary console owners, this might be a bit frustrating, if true.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'd much rather they switch Mario Kart and DKC, to be honest.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I really really really really hope this rumour is bullshit. My most anticipated Wii U game for the rest of the year

Sendou

"mighty barren" is a bit much, isn't it?

Well personally there would be one title that excites me a lot (Super Mario 3D World) and two that I'm somewhat indifferent about (Wind Waker HD and Sonic Lost World). Either way it wouldn't be a spectacular lineup and it would left me a little disappointed.

I'd much rather they switch Mario Kart and DKC, to be honest.

Probably would if they could. It's painfully obvious that 2014 release for Mario Kart 8 isn't because they feel like it but simply due to the fact that it's not finished.

D-e-f-

Banned

You're confusing reality with your opinion based on speculation. You have absolutely no clue what else they have in store for 2014. We didn't even know DKC existed until this June. Or Wii Sports Club until a week ago. Or Wind Waker HD until this January.

Nintendo Directs deliver more often than not. I really don't know where you get this stuff from.

Is this a trick question? All of them.

They are? How so? Fewer particles? Does that make everything inherently inferior?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Mario Kart is Spring 14.

I'll bet $50 that we have not seen 90% of Nintendo's 2014 lineup for Wii U. You game?

Sendou

They are? How so? Fewer particles? Does that make everything inherently inferior?

It's game by game basis of course but strictly talking from my own experience here: I don't see anything there that I wouldn't rather play on my PC.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Probably would if they could. It's painfully obvious that 2014 release for Mario Kart 8 isn't because they feel like it but simply due to the fact that it's not finished.

They might switch DK for MK8. It would follow the 3DS revival exactly.

But, you're correct in that it's not finished, though it could be possible to release MK8 in December and then a "free" dlc update (read: remaining content i.e. bonus/mission modes etc provided they can get all the required tracks and basic online modes ready for Dec) in early 2014.

Sendou

But, you're correct in that it's not finished, though it could be possible to release MK8 in December and then a "free" dlc update (read: remaining content i.e. bonus/mission modes etc provided they can get all the required tracks and basic online modes ready for Dec) in early 2014.

That sounds fucking horrible to be blunt with you.

The Boat

As much as I'm looking forward to this game, I'd be OK with it being delayed a bit, especially if it's to put the finishing touches on. Considering there's NSMBU, NSLU DLC and Rayman already out, not to mention SM3DW coming out at the end of the year, I think DKCTF would breathe much better if released later.

Roo

They might switch DK for MK8. It would follow the 3DS revival exactly.

God no

ASIS

What did the Jan Direct change? The year before, at E3, they've promised you all these ,,launch window'' titles for Jan-March and fresh games right afterwards. If you know Nintendo, you knew that this was BS and as usual, the E3 content (aka launch window content) was in reality almost the entirety of 2013. But we got to know that a Xeno game will come... in several years from now, yay?
Next year you'll maybe get some niche game announcements and if you're lucky, a Zelda trailer and perhaps a new Miyamoto game.
But it's clear that the rest will consist of all the shit we already know (Smash at xmas) and more delayed games (hopefully not DK...)

It basically announced WW HD, Mario and Mario Kart, plus some 2014 titles. There's nothing stating 2014 can't get the same, albeit more aggressive, treatment.

D-e-f-

Banned
It's game by game basis of course but strictly talking from my own experience here: I don't see anything there that I wouldn't rather play on my PC.

Meaning it comes down to personal preference not objective inferiority. For me, I take improved UI via GamePad and/or Off-TV in 30fps over shiny, more fluid PC version.

Delaying most-likely completed games to try and desperately fill in the gaps in their shitty little release calendar?

Nintendo pls

Save your snark for when it's actually happening.

Adam J.

I always thought it seems unlikely they'd release two high profile character-platformers within weeks of one another. Got to stagger those releases--don't want to run out of games Nintendo!

Meaning it comes down to personal preference not objective inferiority. For me, I take improved UI via GamePad and/or Off-TV in 30fps over shiny, more fluid PC version.

If the game looks/performs better on other platforms, I'm pretty sure that's close to "objective superiority"

A delay would be disappointing. Donkey Kong is the Nintendo game I'm looking forward to the most. If DKC slips out, the holiday line-up would just be Mario 3D Land 2 and a handful of Wii _______ titles.

D-e-f-

Banned
If the game looks/performs better on other platforms, I'm pretty sure that's close to "objective superiority"

No it isn't. You're dismissing gameplay implications. That's not objective at all, it's subjective based on superficialities like textures, resolution and effects. Framerate is the only objective aspect of this, though one could still argue that the 30 vs 60 difference simply doesn't matter to a great deal of people.

No it isn't. You're dismissing gameplay implications. That's not objective at all, it's subjective based on superficialities like textures, resolution and effects. Framerate is the only objective aspect of this, though one could still argue that the 30 vs 60 difference simply doesn't matter to a great deal of people.

if the game runs at a higher framerate...that would be objectively superior...just because a great deal of people can't tell the difference really doesn't come into the equation

not to mention all the various visual aspects that affect the experience because hey, video games are a visual medium and they matter. Higher resolution, textures, effects, etc aren't subjective.

You're confusing reality with your opinion based on speculation. You have absolutely no clue what else they have in store for 2014. We didn't even know DKC existed until this June. Or Wii Sports Club until a week ago. Or Wind Waker HD until this January.

Amazing, so outside of that failed launch window lineup that has now spread over the whole year, we got two HD ports in addition. Well, one and a half, considering they couldn't even get the full fucking Wii Sports out in time :lol
Other than that, only DK and Mario were new. And those were still pretty safe bets, everyone knew Retro & Tokyo team would show off this time.

Next year is gonna be the same deal as usual. The same it has been since years, E3 content gonna be most of the upcoming year's lineup. It's speculation, but if you know Nintendo and use common sense, it's the safest speculation possible. Instead of Mario & DK, you'll get maybe that new Miyamoto casual IP and Zelda trailer alongside the known content. Plus maybe some 2015 content...

The 3DS had more surprise announcements lately, but the 3DS also has a much better momentum in both sales and development. Meanwhile, Nintendo has fucked up three E3s in a row for the WiiU big time and all their major devs look like goddamn clowns in interviews, completely overwhelmed by that mysterious HD development and devaluing their reception with lazy projects such as 3D World (and sadly DK). They've already shown games like Xeno, SMTxFE and Yarn Yoshi that are way early in dev time, hence you already know the majority of games coming.
Not sure how anyone can believe they still have some major ace up their sleeves. As I've said, some people apparently will never give up hope instead of facing reality that Nintendo has screwed up the console in almost every aspect and has no clue how to get out of there (Whether or not you still have fun with them putting barely any effort into the thing has nothing to do with that). I guess Pachter was right after all, some people would still have faith in this company and gush even if they'd sell an empy cardboard that has ,,Mario'' written on it and be done with it.

Shiggy

Amazing, so outside of that failed launch window lineup that has now spread over the whole year, we got two HD ports in addition. Well, one and a half, considering they couldn't even get the full fucking Wii Sports out in time :lol
Other than that, only DK and Mario were new. And those were still pretty safe bets, everyone knew Retro & Tokyo team would show off this time.

Next year is gonna be the same deal as usual. The same it has been since years, E3 content gonna be most of the upcoming year's lineup. It's speculation, but if you know Nintendo and use common sense, it's the safest speculation possible. Instead of Mario & DK, you'll get maybe that new Miyamoto casual IP and Zelda trailer alongside the known content. Plus maybe some 2015 content...

The 3DS had more surprise announcements lately, but the 3DS also has a much better momentum in both sales and development. Meanwhile, Nintendo has fucked up three E3s in a row for the WiiU big time and all their major devs look like goddamn clowns in interviews, completely overwhelmed by that mysterious HD development and devaluing their reception with lazy projects such as 3D World (and sadly DK). They've already shown games like Xeno, SMTxFE and Yarn Yoshi that are way early in dev time, hence you already know the majority of games coming.
Not sure how anyone can believe they still have some major ace up their sleeves. As I've said, some people apparently will never give up hope instead of facing reality that Nintendo has screwed up the console in almost every aspect and has no clue how to get out of there (Whether or not you still have fun with them putting barely any effort into the thing has nothing to do with that). I guess Pachter was right after all, some people would still have faith in this company and gush even if they'd sell an empy cardboard that has ,,Mario'' written on it and be done with it.

It's a shame when the most exciting question at E3 2014 will be whether they are going to show Animal Crossing U.

X, Yoshi Yarn, and SMTxFE were shown way too early indeed. As a result, their only surprise at E3 2013 was DKCR2 - and well, that was a pretty disappointing surprise. Makes me wonder what else they've got in their sleeves. They rarely announce games so far in advance and as we know the NCL structure pretty well, we can almost be sure that there isn't a lot coming from them next year either.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

you seem a bit slow on the uptake, most of the games nintendo showed in the jan direct were games they planned on showing at E3, dont know if you forgot about this, they didnt show all the games they planned to release over the next 2 years, they showed what they wanted before E3 to gain some momentum before hand, with the exception of possibly SMTXFE and yoshi'sisland, I'm pretty sure they have some big games that are currently at the very least in pre-production especially since the games that have released this year(pikmin 3, game and wario, WWHD, donkey kong country tropical freeze, mario 3Dworld, etc.) are wrapping up or going to be wrapped up soon if not already gone gold.

You mention the past three E3's, and it's still amazing to me how they managed to blow it each time. It's incredible the way the line-up has been delayed (whether or not this DKC rumor is true) even when being made up of mostly sequels and HD remakes. It's almost as if Nintendo just gave a 2 year vacation to their whole company at the end of the Wii lifespan and then decided everyone should get back to work.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It's a shame when the most exciting question at E3 2014 will be whether they are going to show Animal Crossing U.

This would make E3 for me. Cross-compatible saves with 3DS would be icing on the cake.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
if the game runs at a higher framerate...that would be objectively superior...just because a great deal of people can't tell the difference really doesn't come into the equation

not to mention all the various visual aspects that affect the experience because hey, video games are a visual medium and they matter. Higher resolution, textures, effects, etc aren't subjective.

As noted: there's more to a game than the visuals. To me, it's no contest that the Wii U has the superior version of Arkham City, due to the huge benefit granted by the persistent and interactive GPS-like map on the GamePad, and the radio chatter coming through the GamePad speakers was pretty neat as well.

I'd make a similar argument for Darksiders 2, and the benefit of touchscreen loot management without having to pause the game.

The point is, to each his own. Some can value the visuals, some can value the GamePad improvements. Subjectivity in value.

Qurupeke

That's really bad.

Heyt

Banned
If there's smoke there's fire. This looks pretty bad for the game and would be a hit Nintendo's holyday campaign could not take. They need every single game of the ones announced to try to boost WiiU significantly.

Top Bottom