• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze announced for WiiU

I'll be honest, I'd love a delay, hopefully it can give them enough time to really improve the visuals, I'm sorry, they just look so bland technically, shadows are from not existent to clearly pre-baked, same with the lighting.

It really feels like DKCR with a higher poly count and fur on the Kongs,... that's it.

720p and 60fps to me is no excuse, this is RETRO, they should be a pioneer on Wii U, just having the camera move around a mountain when flying from cannons isn't that impressive.

3D World looks much more impressive with the lighting and such, why can't DK have better lighting and shadows? It just looks like it's missing so much. I expect FAR more from Retro.

Estimado cliente:

Nos ponemos en contacto con usted con relación al producto "Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze" (ASIN: B00DD0AEG4) comprado en preventa de su pedido nº

El proveedor de este videojuego nos ha informado de que ha cambiado la fecha de lanzamiento del producto en el mercado. En estos momentos no disponemos de la fecha exacta, pero en cuanto nuestro proveedor nos proporcione la nueva fecha de lanzamiento, le enviaremos un e-mail para confirmar la fecha estimada de entrega de su pedido según la opción de envío seleccionada.

Summarizing; Amazon Spain saying that Nintendo has changed the release date of Tropical Freeze to an undetermined one.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Why is everyone talking about them delaying this game? they are not going to delay this game when they already set it up for the holiday season.

Heyt

Banned
Shit just got real. Moving it to 2014 due to delays in their announced lineup probably. Nintendo Still has a long way to go to achieve any efficiency when it comes to HD.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Shit just got real. Moving it to 2014 due to delays in their announced lineup probably. Nintendo Still has a long way to go to achieve any efficiency when it comes to HD.

HD? Nintendo is famous for delaying their games. Which I'm so surprised they didnt moneyhat more 3rd parties to pad their lineup.

Played it today at EE, fucking awesome fun and so polished, surprised at a delay.
You know, Ninty's Wii U titles were the best looking games at EE today, and at a locked 60fps to boot.

muteant

clearly this means retro has been assigned to help MK8 get finished in time for a rescheduled december
release

Heyt

Banned
HD? Nintendo is famous for delaying their games. Which I'm so surprised they didnt moneyhat more 3rd parties to pad their lineup.

Not since the Twilight Princess days. They have spent most of the DS-Wii-3DS era announcing games really close to launch. The only exception that comes to mind is Kid Icarus and Smash 4.

Played it today at EE, fucking awesome fun and so polished, surprised at a delay.

You know, Ninty's Wii U titles were the best looking games at EE today, and at a locked 60fps to boot.

Programing games that look just fairly better than Wii games and running them on a console superior to PS3 at 720p and 60fps is not something I would consider mastery.

javac

It's a shame when the most exciting question at E3 2014 will be whether they are going to show Animal Crossing U.

X, Yoshi Yarn, and SMTxFE were shown way too early indeed. As a result, their only surprise at E3 2013 was DKCR2 - and well, that was a pretty disappointing surprise. Makes me wonder what else they've got in their sleeves. They rarely announce games so far in advance and as we know the NCL structure pretty well, we can almost be sure that there isn't a lot coming from them next year either.

If they didn't announce X, SMT X FE, Yoshi etc when they did they'd be even more fucked. Think about it this way. Nintendo haven't announced many games for the Wii U since right? So we are getting impatient right? So we would love it if Nintendo announces some games now right to help remedy that impatience, right? But if they announce something we'd be exactly the same, talking about how they showed their hands to early. But if they stay silent we assume they have nothing cooking. So something has to give.

Fabrik

Banned
Not surprised about the delay if true. It looked unfinished/unpolished/unimpressive to me. Not what I expected from a HD Retro game.

JDSN

Banned
As boring and redundant as it looks it seems that there will be a big gap if Dk isnt in the holiday lineup. I hope this isnt true.

Schnozberry

Wow, everybody is deploying the outrage parachutes pretty early here. The delay is a bummer but not the end of the world. I wonder if this is going to be a retail delay and another eShop exclusivity deal.

D-e-f-

Banned
Theory: This is a Euro-only delay as all the reports are coming out of Europe, if I'm not mistaken.

Reason: Scribblenauts Unlimited is coming out this December in Europe which is published by Nintendo of Europe. Due to a time vortex, this makes it impossible for them to also put out DKC.

lol

If this gets delayed....god damnit. 2014 is going to be a joke, most of those games will probably get delayed as well.

How did Nintendo fuck up this console as badly as they did?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
"Undetermined" date could mean anything, really. Could mean they're moving it UP!!!!!

ha ha

ha

But seriously any time Nintendo delays a game it's better off for it. Gimme a DKCTF that looks like a true generation leap over DKCR and all will be forgiven.

[Edit] Unless it's a euro-only delay. In which case ehehehehe suckers.

Hoodbury

Theory: This is a Euro-only delay as all the reports are coming out of Europe, if I'm not mistaken.

Reason: Scribblenauts Unlimited is coming out this December in Europe which is published by Nintendo of Europe. Due to a time vortex, this makes it impossible for them to also put out DKC.

lol

I don't know if it had a date before this, but US Amazon doesn't have a date for it right now. It does for other preorder games like Mario.

lol
what about unmasked?

javac

"Undetermined" date could mean anything, really. Could mean they're moving it UP!!!!!

ha ha

ha

But seriously any time Nintendo delays a game it's better off for it. Gimme a DKCTF that looks like a true generation leap over DKCR and all will be forgiven.

[Edit] Unless it's a euro-only delay. In which case ehehehehe suckers.

If it is delayed please don't expect it to be touched in any way shape or form. The games probably gold at this point and sitting in a room waiting to be shipped. If it's delayed it's for 'strategic' purposes unless they found some game breaking glitch.

A series of bad decisions dating back to 1998 and beyond. Key ones include: Not rectifying third-party relations, not adopting and adapting to online, not expanding first-party studios to support platforms in a drought, not paying attention in 2005 when every developer under the Sun said HD development was time-consuming and required more than SD development, not realizing how fickle the Wii audience is, and more!

D-e-f-

Banned
If this gets delayed....god damnit. 2014 is going to be a joke, most of those games will probably get delayed as well.

Now hold your horses young knight. How does one potential delay automatically delay all other games?

edit: everyone please take not that DKCTF has always been a 2014 title for Japan. So this might indeed just be a Euro delay due to weird scheduling snafus.

Artorias

Banned
I hope people are joking when they say they hope the graphics will be improved due to a possible few months delay.

I mean surely they are still tightening things up, but do you honestly think they will be making new assets or something?

Now hold your horses young knight. How does one potential delay automatically delay all other games?.

Because the Wii U has been nothing but delay after delay after delay. If Tropical Freeze gets pushed to 2014, it's likely because Nintendo has very little to offer consumers next year and they need it to fill in the gaps.

I could be wrong of course, since Nintendo is insanely unpredictable, but pretty much every move they make these days when it comes to Wii U makes me uneasy.

Himself

Wouldn't you guys just rather wait until the developers are happy and we get what is most likely a better game? Sheesh. It's not like Retro is going to get all Ueda on us.

A series of bad decisions dating back to 1998 and beyond. Key ones include: Not rectifying third-party relations, not adopting and adapting to online, not expanding first-party studios to support platforms in a drought, not paying attention in 2005 when every developer under the Sun said HD development was time-consuming and required more than SD development, not realizing how fickle the Wii audience is, and more!

oh come on.. nintendo was in a prime position 2006-2010. the wiiu fuck up cannot be dated back to 1998. its a series of bad decisions since their success with wii.

they didnt have games for nintendo fans and for the casuals on wii after 2010 and they didnt have the games for the wii u launch. they didnt expand enough to secure enough first party titles. but all of those mistakes were made somewhere after 2010 not 1998.
Because the Wii U has been nothing but delay after delay after delay. If Tropical Freeze gets pushed to 2014, it's likely because Nintendo has very little to offer consumers next year and they need it to fill in the gaps.

I could be wrong of course, since Nintendo is insanely unpredictable, but pretty much every move they make these days when it comes to Wii U makes me uneasy.

this is pure speculation. we didnt knew about a lot of the titles that are comming out now a few month ago. you could criticize nintendo for not announcing games earlier but saying that DKCs supposed delay means that they will have no games for 2014 is a stretch

this is pure speculation. we didnt knew about a lot of the titles that are comming out now a few month ago. you could criticize nintendo for not announcing games earlier but saying that DKCs supposed delay means that they will have no games for 2014 is a stretch

Of course it's speculation but Nintendo has given me little hope for the future of Wii U based on the last year and yet another delay isn't going to help things.

If I'm wrong and 2014 is full of great stuff to play, I'll be thrilled. There's nothing I want more than a ton of Nintendo games to play on this thing.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
If this turns out to be the case... wow. This is literally the last thing Nintendo needed. Weren't they banking on this to be the game that'd convince the core gamer audience to buy a WiiU this Christmas?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I remember people telling me we HAD to get X when ti comes out because Nintendo has nothing else to offer.

If this DK delay is proven true, Nintendo not having anything to offer for a whole quarter is going to be standard.

weevles

Wat. Nintendo just announced the official release date of December 6 less than a month ago. Until Nintendo confirms it, just speculations...

Wouldn't you guys just rather wait until the developers are happy and we get what is most likely a better game? Sheesh. It's not like Retro is going to get all Ueda on us.

I'd rather they finish it, and move on to anything that's not donkey kong.

But then I'm biased because I didn't have much fun with DKC:returns.

And Nintendo seriously is not in a position to delay a relatively popular holiday title

Of course it's speculation but Nintendo has given me little hope for the future of Wii U based on the last year and yet another delay isn't going to help things.

If I'm wrong and 2014 is full of great stuff to play, I'll be thrilled. There's nothing I want more than a ton of Nintendo games to play on this thing.

i fully agree that 2012 and the first half of 2013 was awful but the latter half of 2013 has been pretty good

there are a lot of exclusives like NSLU, Pikmin 3, W101 and soon there will be a lot more (Sonic, Mario 3DWorld, Zelda, hopefully this, Wii Fit U, Wii Party U, Wii Sports, Wii Karaoke). If they can keep that pace up I will be happy.
Wat. Nintendo just announced the official release date of December 6 less than a month ago. Until Nintendo confirms it, just speculations...

yeah the official boxart was just shown a month ago too.

Amazon shifts around release dates all the time if there is no final confirmation. I wouldnt be that worried

Top Bottom