• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze announced for WiiU

Of "the game"? It seems like you couldn't make out the difference between DKCR and DKCR:TF. You pretty much proved my point, thanks.

And well, you can compare videos too. Both games may look better in motion, but DKCR:TF still doesn't look impressive.
wasnt your point that the game has no effort put into it? is a stillshot a proof of effort (manhours, thought, capital) put into the game?

if you would have written that DKC TF doent look great for an HD game i would agree

doesnt mean that the game itself is bad gameplay wise.

The thing is, they also have a load of new IPs and concepts. What does Nintendo have outside of W101 or X? Not a lot. Have there been any new concepts/IPs on 3DS in the past year?

i dont see it. the big games for PS4 launch are killzone, infamous both sequels. there is a new IP called knack but then again there were new IP from Nintendo as well (w101 and nintendoland)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
You haven't even read my post apparently.

Fair enough, it is tough to keep up with your moving goal posts. So now it's not anymore about DK graphics, but new IPs. Nintendo Land, Game&Wario, W101 vs. NSMBU, Pikmin 3 (although after so many years it is almost like a new IP), SM3DL, DKC:TF in the first year sound like a good ratio in term of new IPs.

And you are not supposed to buy the platform, you are supposed to have the common sense to not crap into the threads about the games on a platform you don't care about. (This is not about your opinion on DKC:TF)

I'll say this...Nintendo playing it safe and rehashing old franchises and whatnot is slightly better than what I've BEEN seeing. So far I've seen my favorite franchises disappear (Mega Man) and others get bastardized and turned to a mobile game. (Breath of Fire "6"...fuck you Capcom, FUCK YOOOOOU!!!) I'm not saying Nintendo is perfectly legitimized by doing this, but hell at least they are still around and not dicked around with to a point to where the IP is barely recognizable or just flat out missing. And the one's that ARE on hiatus are at least being mentioned so there's a possibility of a revival, although some have a better chance than others. (Poor F-Zero...)
the last time nintendo did this only was gamecube.

back in the days people were criticising them for rehashing but the rehashes are considered some of the best in the series now for some reason (fzero, mario sunshine, zelda wind waker)

Well, if it's prettier graphics than it's at least more than what we have with DKCR:TF ;)

well maybe DKCTF has great level design? like DKC 2 had much better design then DKC1 and is considered a vastly superior game even though the graphics are the same?
Both my gf and me played this at the Eg expo. We both loved it. It's fucking brilliant, super-tight gameplay and looks incredible in person. The negativity, doom and gloom in this thread is ridiculous. If you like DK then you'll love it to bits, and if you don't then wtf are you doing in this thread anyway?

great to hear some impressions of people who actually played the game rather than people looking at screenshots and dismissing it

Camjo-Z

Have there been any new concepts/IPs on 3DS in the past year?

i am pretty sure anyone who says this has never set foot in the eshop once

also lol at new IPs and concepts on PS4. Killzone, InFamous, and Driving Simulator #48 are really showing up that lazy Nintendo!

Conor 419

Banned
The thing is, they also have a load of new IPs and concepts. What does Nintendo have outside of W101 or X? Not a lot. Have there been any new concepts/IPs on 3DS in the past year?

Miyamoto currently has a team on a new IP
It's more than likely that Monoliths 3DS team have a new IP in development.
Of course then bear in mind Disaster, Pushmo, the Wii series and the dramatic reinventions of Kid Icarus and Kirby.

Nintendo have actually been pretty good for new IP in the last five or so years, it just seems to me that your personal definition of 'new IP' is 'Assassins Creed' or 'Dishonoured' or 'Crysis', so basically if it's not an IP with a lean, handsome protagonist with inherently violent gameplay and a shit plot, then basically it doesn't count.

Not that I'm particularly defending DK, I still think this game is the worst entertainment move Nintendo have ever made.

Sendou

Miyamoto's new IP... Yeah well we'll see how that goes. We already know that Miyamoto doesn't think new characters are requirement for a new IP.

Monolith's Kyoto team is a support team by the looks of it. It mostly houses art related staff.

D-e-f-

Banned
If you actually look at the game being played, there is SO much more going on on-screen at all times. Level-deforming stuff happening constantly, tons of moving parts, things you can pull apart, leaves falling down all over the place, the rotating camera that goes "into" the levels instead of being tied to the X-axis at all times, more stuff in the background... Cannot wait to see more!

Conor 419

Banned
Miyamoto's new IP... Yeah well we'll see how that goes. We already know that Miyamoto doesn't think new characters are requirement for a new IP.

Monolith's Kyoto team is a support team by the looks of it. It mostly houses art related staff.

And he's absolutely right.

So the 3DS concept art was just made for a laugh I'm guessing?

Shiggy

wasnt your point that the game has no effort put into it? is a stillshot a proof of effort (manhours, thought, capital) put into the game?

if you would have written that DKC TF doent look great for an HD game i would agree

doesnt mean that the game itself is bad gameplay wise.

Well, I was talking in the context of visuals anyway, so I think we can come to terms.

i dont see it. the big games for PS4 launch are killzone, infamous both sequels. there is a new IP called knack but then again there were new IP from Nintendo as well (w101 and nintendoland)

I think we've just seen The Last of Us, Diggs Nightcrawler, Puppeteer and Until Dawn as well as Beyond: Two Souls will come later this year, which already is more than what Nintendo brought to Wii U as new IPs as a whole (including 2014 announcements). I'm confident that they will keep this up with PS4, whereas I expect Nintendo to follow the strategy they employed for the 3DS. I'd be extremely positively surprised if Nintendo suddenly went back to creating new IPs such as Last Story, Another Code, or even Wii Sports.

Fair enough, it is tough to keep up with your moving goal posts. So now it's not anymore about DK graphics, but new IPs. Nintendo Land, Game&Wario, W101 vs. NSMBU, Pikmin 3 (although after so many years it is almost like a new IP), SM3DL, DKC:TF in the first year sound like a good ratio in term of new IPs.

And you are not supposed to buy the platform, you are supposed to have the common sense and don't crap into the threads about the games on a platform you don't care about.

A discussion develops. If other people bring up points, you may allow me to go into these points. If you don't like that not everybody wears the rose-tinted glasses and thinks that the DKCR:TF visuals are the second coming of Jesus, I'm feeling sorry for you. I don't have such hard feelings when it comes to gaming and I can very well accept the opinions of others.

Of course then bear in mind Disaster, Pushmo, the Wii series and the dramatic reinventions of Kid Icarus and Kirby.

Nintendo have actually been pretty good for new IP in the last five or so years, it just seems to me that your personal definition of 'new IP' is Assassins Creed or Dishonoured, so basically if it's not an IP with a lean, handsome protagonist with inherently violent gameplay and a shit plot, hen basically it doesn't count.

Not that I'm particularly defending DK, I still think this game is the worst entertainment move Nintendo have ever made.

How long have we been waiting for the new IP of Miyamoto's team now? ;)
The new Monolith team is apparently just for supporting other titles, if you are referring to that studio. Or do you mean the team that mostly worked on games for Namco in the past?

I do think the Wii games, The Last Story, Xenoblade, and so on are new IPs. But how long has it been since then? If I take a look at the 3DS, I'm disappointed by the lack of creativity Nintendo has brought to the table. The DS and Wii were masterpieces when it came to unconvential new titles - but why did they stop with those on 3DS and WiiU? Or if they do come indeed, when?

wow...this thread is a mess. Hello to everyone who get over from the bayonetta 2 thread to join us.

serious guys, reading any wii u related thread isn't fun anymore. Always the same trolling anf bashing...just graphic whores and a few guys who defend nintendo. where can i talk just about the game?

Conor 419

Banned
How long have we been waiting for the new IP of Miyamoto's team now? ;)

A very long time, and we will continue to wait for very long time, because you see, what puts Nintendo in the ultra elite league alongside Rockstar North is that they're one of the few companies that'll delay their titles until they're absolutely ready, as opposed to releasing a shit game and destroying their most powerful IP

See - Halo 4

The new Monolith team is apparently just for supporting other titles, if you are referring to that studio. Or do you mean the team that mostly worked on games for Namco in the past?

'Apparently'

I do think the Wii games, The Last Story, Xenoblade, and so on are new IPs. But how long has it been since then? If I take a look at the 3DS, I'm disappointed by the lack of creativity Nintendo has brought to the table. The DS and Wii were masterpieces when it came to unconvential new titles - but why did they stop with those on 3DS and WiiU? Or if they do come indeed, when?

I really am unable to complain bout the quality of 3DS titles.

I agree that EAD themselves need to make big budget new IP, but I'm reserving that criticism until I see Miyamotos title.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
A discussion develops. If other people bring up points, you may allow me to go into these points. If you don't like that not everybody wears the rose-tinted glasses and thinks that the DKCR:TF visuals are the second coming of Jesus, I'm feeling sorry for you. I don't have such hard feelings when it comes to gaming and I can very well accept the opinions of others.

Now you didn't read my post. I'm talking about this thread being now about Wii U and new IPs and not DKC:TF anymore, because of your crappy goalpost moving.

Shiggy

Now you didn't read my post. I'm talking about this thread being now about Wii U and new IPs and not DKC:TF anymore, because of your crappy goalpost moving.

And I said that this happened because the discussion developed and people singling out parts of my posts that were not entirely relevant to the topic but which required explanation.

If you want to, we can stop this talk now and go back to DKCR:TF. I'd be fine with that.

Who gives a shit about graphics. Just give me amazing level design and tight controls.

This. I bought Puppeteer on hype and I have never been so disappointed (I plan to return to it for another chance though. Otherwise it is 40 bucks down the drain.). Gameplay will always be king. I still haven't completely finished Luigi U 100% yet but I'm looking forward to picking up TF shortly after release. What I've seen of it so far looks great to me.

Shiggy

I would love that. You can make a new thread about the new IPs on PS4 vs. Wii U if you like to discuss this.

Don't really see a need for that right now as I'm more interested in Nintendo titles than those of other publishers. Don't even have any intentions to buy the PS4 (and definitely not the X1). But thanks for your suggestion.

Blues1990

I was a bit upset that Diddy Kong (as well as Dixie Kong) are still going to be served as power-ups for Donkey Kong in the single player campaign. I mean, wouldn't it hurt to have the option to switch back between the Kong's on the fly, just like in the original trilogy?

wow...this thread is a mess. Hello to everyone who get over from the bayonetta 2 thread to join us.

serious guys, reading any wii u related thread isn't fun anymore. Always the same trolling anf bashing...just graphic whores and a few guys who defend nintendo. where can i talk just about the game?

one of the problems is that there is just so little to discuss about

the game is out in a few weeks but we have the e3 discuss to talk about.. thats it.

jwhit28

the game is out in a few weeks but we have the e3 discuss to talk about.. thats it.

Few weeks = December?

I think I'm done looking at Wii U threads outside of game threads or unless new media pops up. It's almost as bad as trying to discuss games with annual releases.

I was a bit upset that Diddy Kong (as well as Dixie Kong) are still going to be served as power-ups for Donkey Kong in the single player campaign. I mean, wouldn't it hurt to have the option to switch back between the Kong's on the fly, just like in the original trilogy?

one of the problems with the old approach is that certain characters are just throwaways

in DKC 1 DK was way worse than Diddy. in DKC3 Kiddie was way worse than Dixie

i think in DKC2 they nearly struck a golden balance (dixie was still a tad better imho).
Few weeks = December?

yes december is in like 9 weeks

jacksrb

This thread gets my dander up.

I think DKCR was really, really good looking on the Wii, due in part to a distinctive art style. I think the sequel looks good too, continuing the art style with a few other flourishes and of course HD crispness.

I am one of the folks disappointed to hear that Retro was working on this, but it will no doubt be a logical evolution of a really challenging and great 2D platformer. "A logical eveolution" is exactly what I would expect in the second game of a rebooted series.

It certainly doesn't seem lazy or like Nintendo/Retro doesn't care about pushing the graphics.

jmls1121

Banned
i am pretty sure anyone who says this has never set foot in the eshop once

also lol at new IPs and concepts on PS4. Killzone, InFamous, and Driving Simulator #48 are really showing up that lazy Nintendo!

Seriously. Like substituting one bald space marine for another and claiming it a new Ip does nÓt make it so.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Dixie wasn't better in DKC2, they just served different purposes. Dixie was basically "you're not very good at the game? Take this, it'll accommodate for you." Diddy was "you're good enough we're not going to make certain things easier, but the pay-off is you can do certain tricky things much better". There's a reason most speed-runs use Diddy.

NEO0MJ

Oh wow, this thread is a trainwreck. Is anyone on NeoGAF actually looking forward to playing this game? All I see are some drive-by trolls and some graphic fetishists, doesn't anyone care about the actual gameplay?

I am excited as hell to play it, but there's no denying how underwhelming the graphics are, especially from a studio technically competent as Retro who used to wow us before.

D-e-f-

Banned

And that's why all these arguments are so insane. We are arguing with the stuff they have shown against stuff they haven't shown as if the stuff they haven't shown didn't even exist.

Dixie wasn't better in DKC2, they just served different purposes. Dixie was basically "you're not very good at the game? Take this, it'll accommodate for you." Diddy was "you're good enough we're not going to make certain things easier, but the pay-off is you can do certain tricky things much better". There's a reason most speed-runs use Diddy.

Cartwheels all day err'day!

I am excited as hell to play it, but there's no denying how underwhelming the graphics are, especially from a studio technically competent as Retro who used to wow us before.

Retro wowed us with their fantastic artstyle.

LocalE

Yes but it was even before a project for Colecovision, then scrapped in favor of the D.K. arcade conversion.

But I heard that they started with source code from the team who made pong. Apparently they were making this game, decided it looked like shit, and made the much more graphically impressive pong.
Which was probably the right move, now that we get to see this game (vomit vomit puke).

doesn't look to inspiring really, not sure of the people commenting on next-gen or not, the WiiU isn't next-gen so it doesn't make a difference, it is what were are going to get.

just looks like it is a cut & past of NSMBU to me, i got Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D for my 3DS i think i will stick with that, at least Yarn Yoshi is something a bit different even if it is just a LBP rip-off.

Of course Wii U isn't next-gen. PS360 became last-gen the day that Wii U launched, remember?
Consoles that you can purchase are never "next-gen".
Much the same way that xbone and PS4 are not "next-gen" either. They will be joining current-gen when they release.

Pretty funny stuff, really.

Neiteio

I saw the Neiteio signal in the sky and Commissioner Gordon told me this game might be delayed. Jumping to the end of the thread now because impatient and in need of immediate gratification: Is the delay for real?

Adam J.

I got to play the new DK at one of those Best Buy events during E3 on a giant HD screen and the visuals were phenomenal in person--same goes for Mario 3D land.

D-e-f-

Banned
So maybe DKC:TF sitting it out a few months wouldn't be the worst thing ever.

image.php

Mael

Hey guys for this thread to be so alive that must mean that there's something....
*Look at thread*
Ok never mind.

AniHawk

pikmin 3 - barly looks better than a gamecube game
dkctf - rehash of a wii game
sm3dw - level pack of a handheld game (and handheld games are inherently inferior)
nsmbu - level pack of every nsmb game dating back to nsmbds
tww hd - a port, not a remake

when is nintendo going to atually put forth some real effort. let's see some real games

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
pikmin 3 - barly looks better than a gamecube game
dkctf - rehash of a wii game
sm3dw - level pack of a handheld game (and handheld games are inherently inferior)
nsmbu - level pack of every nsmb game dating back to nsmbds
tww hd - a port, not a remake

when is nintendo going to atually put forth some real effort. let's see some real games
oh you

I would buy a Wii U for this game if I had the money.

Well, and for Mario, Rayman Legends, MK8, Smash, WW HD, Bayonetta etc.

The DK games were my favorite games on the SNES. Loved DKC Returns. Playing Tropical Freeze on the gamepad lying in bed sounds like heaven. I need this :(

Top Bottom