• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Frolow

Banned
jnWvvqXIHGOJV.png

Official Website

Developers - Retro Studios, Monster Games, and Nintendo SPD
Publisher - Sony
Release Dates - February 13rd (JP), February 21st, (NA/EU), February 22nd (AU)
Platform - Gizmondo
Game Size - 11.4GB
Genre - Platformer
Controls - Gamepad (Player 1 Only), Wii U Pro Controller, Wii Remote (Sideways), Wii Remote + Nunchuk.
Multiplayer - 2 Player Local Co-Op

Retail and Digital versions launch on the same day. The Digital version will be available at Midnight (EST) on the eShop.

jrsIrHyojXr6F.png

"The story begins at Donkey Kong's hut, where the Kongs are celebrating what appears to be his birthday. Suddenly, one of the balloons flies off the Kong house and over the sea, where mysterious ships are stationed. Far away from the island, a Pointy Tuck watches over them, locating the Kong house and relaying info to their leader, shrouded in a dark silhouette. Upon the leader nodding their approval, several Pointy Tucks blow horns as six Pointy Tucks are carrying a large white horn covered with white mist. The leader laughs as he blows the horn, creating a large amount of wind, as well as a strange ice dragon.

Meanwhile, Diddy is busy playing kazoos, unaware of the events about to take place. Just as he is about to blow the candles out, Donkey Kong notices a mysterious snowflake appear and put out the candle on his birthday cake. He turns away with a frustrated look on his face as he hears an uproar, and he and the other Kongs came out from the house to see what the commotion was about. The ice dragon from earlier flies toward Donkey Kong Island, turning the sea under it to ice. The Kongs are then blown away from the island by the ice dragon's intense winds. Afterwards, a large ship stations itself where the Volcano from Donkey Kong Country Returns used to be, and the Snowmads seize Donkey Kong Island for their own, turning it into a frosty area with continuous snowfall."

TL;DR: Kick some Viking Penguin ass and get your bananas back.

jb2iR5sOl2QcHc.png

The Kongs
Partners_Barrels_-_Donkey_Kong_Country_Tropical_Freeze.png

Throughout the game you'll find various Partner Barrels scattered all over the levels. Each barrel contains a Partner Kong that hops on DK's back, gives him additional abilities, and extra health. Each Partner Barrel slowly rotates between all the Kongs, allowing you to pick and choose at your own whim. You can also play as the Kongs individually in Multiplayer mode, although player one must be DK.
  • Diddy Kong: His Jetback allows you to hover in midair for a few seconds and get speedboosts underwater. Also has Peanut Popgun which can stun enemies.
  • Dixie Kong: Her Pony Tail allows you to get a short lift upward and slowly glide down. Also has Bubble Gum Popgun which can stun enemies.
  • Cranky Kong: Lets you use his crane to jump higher and bounce off enemies Ducktales style. Also has a Denture Popgun which can stun enemies.

Kong POW
Tropical5.jpg

Brand new to the franchise is a screen-clearing move known as the Kong POW. For every banana you collect, the Kong POW meter fills up. Once you've collected 100 bananas you can unleash the devastating attack. The only condition being that you have to be paired up with a partner in order to use the move. If you're paired up with Diddy, all enemies on screen turn into Extra Life Balloons. With Dixie, enemies turn into Golden Hearts. And with Cranky, enemies turn into Banana Coins.

Dynamic Camera
jbeqoXN8i2vR11.png

Another new feature to the series is the addition of a dynamic camera. No longer is the camera stationary all throughout the game, as it can now take up different positions during certain sequences.

Underwater Levels
iNGgzSnzxomHc.png

A returning element from the original Donkey Kong Country Trilogy is the inclusion of underwater levels. Unlike in previous entries, the underwater sections aren't just limited to levels consisting solely of them. Instead, they're intertwined with the standard land based levels.

Funky's Fly'n'Buy
jyziHQFBgEhU9.png

Since Cranky is busying kicking ass, Funky Kong has taken up shopkeeping duties for this game. Here you can purchase various items that can aid you throughout your adventure.

Leaderboards
jvVKCw1OYxfyG.png

The time trials from DKCR are back and now include online leaderboards. You can compete against friends and people from all over the world and you can even upload videos of your best times to Miiverse. The medal rankings are also back alongside new additional information about your run. There's also a GAF NNID Spreadsheet for those who want to compare times with everyone here.

Quote to reveal

jjFtAFg8xECzq.png

Shop Items
jsWkTMTRKdznz.png
jG99Ww8QZtuey.png
jc2Fn3IVw12jp.png
jbnKom3MuqGld2.png
jbo0CvgJrY49NI.png
jbq1NDpxcrPfax.png
j3sXIqyWMOY02.png
jbh2nObBjN6LaZ.png

• Heart Boost: Allows the player to take one extra hit.
  • Banana Juice: Makes you temporally invincible on your first hit.
  • Crash Guard: Lets Rocket Barrels and Minecarts take up to three hits extra hits.
  • Red Balloon: Grants the Kongs an extra life. Can also be found hidden in stages.
  • Green Balloon: Allows the player to fall down a pit without losing a life.
  • Blue Balloon: Allows the Kongs to breathe longer underwater.
  • Partner Barrels: Allows the revival of either Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, or Cranky Kong during a level.
  • Squawks the Parrot: A returning item from DKCR. Helps players find Puzzle Pieces.
  • Capsule Toy Machine: You can spend 5 Banana Coins to get a capsule from the machine. The capsule contains a random figurine of a character from the game. Some characters' figurines cannot be unlocked until they're encountered in the main game.

Level Items
jb0ltI4OrLN74s.png
jb2mO5fusNY0Ey.png
ib0Uvz54dxKE43.png
ibi6jzo9NIm3mM.png
jbl62EcWSUbnjf.png
jF8S18VSAWZpF.png
iha6Zjg6r1gfV.png

• Barrel Cannon: A stable of the series. Shoots the player out once entered.
  • Mine Cart: Another stable of the series. Lets you jump along rails in more linear sections of the game.
  • Rocket Barrel: Another returning element from DKCR. The Rocket Barrel locks you into a non-stop flight where your only method of control is holding and releasing the A button to change the altitude.
  • Banana: Can be found individually and in bunches of 5s and 20s. For every 100 Bananas you gain an extra life.
  • Banana Coin: The main currency of the game. Lets you buy items from Funky's Shop
  • Puzzle Pieces: Various Puzzle Pieces are scattered throughout each level. If you collect them all in a stage, you unlock a piece of artwork.
  • KONG Letters: There are four of these letters scattered throughout all the stages. If you manage to find all of them in world, you unlock the secret stages of said world.

jb1R1Ny1qY7iyR.png

Trailers

Screenshots

Reviews:
Review Thread
jbtA004t7WDL1T.png

Have never really played a Donkey Kong game but I am super hyped for this, nice OT! And very nice name, haha

I might pop in Donkey Kong Country for my SNES tonight

My Dong is ready, but I see nothing about David Wise. Double U Tee Fuck mate

I got this.

iZsU7vlo4Hcc4.png

iLCGiEMqfvQe2.png

You know what that means?

ibagtaZwmkk2CG.png

is back! Rock out with your dong out!

i49abZLFrniht.png

After nine long years, the legendary composer of the classic DKC trilogy has finally returned to the ape that made him famous. Wise's signature gameplay-focused composing style is 100+% guaranteed to flow gracefully and effortlessly with the rhythm of each level, creating serene atmosphere one moment, and getting your blood pumping the next. Prepare to experience an aural feast, as the warm, smooth, often ambient, always catchy sounds of Musical Jesus himself carry you into a euphoric dreamscape of Kong-like proportions!

Samples (no footage):

Assorted Tracks

Big Top Bop

Mangrove Cove Underwater

Punch Bowl

Staff Credits

(with footage):

Amiss Abyss

Busted Bayou

Scorch n' Torch

Wing Ding

An old favorite (musical spoilers)

tl;dr
iLCGiEMqfvQe2.png

iLCGiEMqfvQe2.png

iLCGiEMqfvQe2.png

Great developer making a sequel to a great game with a great composer who has always made great music.

It really frustrates me that Wii has so much excellent software and none of it moves hardware. What are people waiting for?

You know what I miss from old DKC - is the Carnival Levels from Donkey Kong Country 2. Those would look fucking amazing in the DKC Returns style.

tumblr_m8z1w1KiXs1re8zjko1_1280.png

dkc2map4b.gif

Donkey%20Kong%20Country%202%20-%20Diddy's%20Kong%20Quest-3-full.png

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
This is gonna be tha shit. Going to be out of town when it comes out, but as soon as I'm back home, it's on.

And if Gamespot really gave it a 5/10... well, I imagine the reactions to that will be interesting.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I am still listening to the songs from the show after that one thread. The mirror never motherfucking lies.

Top Bottom