• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

correojon

I had played this some time ago and don´t know why stopped at 5-1. A few days ago I sarted playing again and now I understand why this game gets so much praise in GAF. Once you get accustomed to the controls (my mind kept telling me to keep Y pressed to run like in Mario games and forgot to press jump to bounce on enemies) it plays so beautifully...Getting into the zone and blazing through the level bouncing and rebounding on everything at high speed is really awesome and speaks loduly about the awesome level design. I also love how puzzle pieces are found through exploration, while KONG letters are more based on skill and you have to get them every time you die, they work as an indicator that you´ve mastered the level and they´re always in the main path, so getting them everytime is just a matter of skill and no backtracking or time-consuming actions are required.

I´m currently at the volcano boss in world 6 but have also started replaying older levels to get everything.

One question, what does the DK sign stand for next to the level´s name in the sumary? Puzzle pieces and KONG letters are clear, but many (maybe all, I just noticed it) of my levels are showing that DK sign greyed out.

mitchlol

I've been playing through Mario 3D World and I'm keen to give this a go. It isn't super hard is it? I kind of want to play it with my partner and she isn't much of a gamer at all.

correojon

I've been playing through Mario 3D World and I'm keen to give this a go. It isn't super hard is it? I kind of want to play it with my partner and she isn't much of a gamer at all.

It is much harder than SM3DWorld, specially if you try to go after the collectibles. The game is ver well designed, meaning that it´s the typical game in which you die 10 times in a spot and finally end up blazing through the level thanks to what you´ve learned, but someone not accustomed to this stuff may end up giving up earlier in frustration...But it´s a hell of a game, I think it´s even better than 3DWorld.

jnWake

Time Trial medal if I recall.

Yep, you can get medals depending on how fast you beat the level. The game shows times for Bronze, Silver and Gold IIRC but every level has a hidden shiny Gold time too (the medal sparkles). It's a lot of fun to try and get shiny golds!

correojon

Time Trial medal if I recall.

Yep, you can get medals depending on how fast you beat the level. The game shows times for Bronze, Silver and Gold IIRC but every level has a hidden shiny Gold time too (the medal sparkles). It's a lot of fun to try and get shiny golds!

Thanks guys! I should have listened to GAF earlier, I´m having a blast playing this! The platforming is top notch and it even has some exploration and secret exits, which is what I´ve always wanted from a platformer since SMW. With the KONG letters, puzzle pieces, secret exits and time trials this game has a load of content. This is turning out to be one of my top3 platformers ever.

Retro's DKC games have a co-op mode, but the levels aren't really designed to accommodate two players. The game can be quite challenging as a single player experience, but it is MUCH more difficult with two people. If you are looking to do a co-op with a less skilled partner, you are better off with something like Yoshi's Woolly World or Kirby and the Rainbow Curse.

mitchlol

Retro's DKC games have a co-op mode, but the levels aren't really designed to accommodate two players. The game can be quite challenging as a single player experience, but it is MUCH more difficult with two people. If you are looking to do a co-op with a less skilled partner, you are better off with something like Yoshi's Woolly World or Kirby and the Rainbow Curse.

Yeah I think we will have to keep playing Mario 3D world co-op which is fine. She is also enjoying Mario Kart. I think I'll pick up DKTF for myself. The first 6 worlds of Mario 3D land are a little too easy. I have Mario Maker but I wanted something that felt a little more curated.

Top Bottom