• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

Yeah, I'm very LTTP, but I finally beat the game last night. Still gotta go back to try and track down missing puzzle pieces and all that to get to stages I missed, but all in all, damn, awesome game! All of the little touches from DK's hidden idle animations (playing DS games) to the ways they transition from mine cart or rocket barrel segments back into standard gameplay are brilliant and made me smile. I was actually surprised that they managed to make the bosses challenging in their own ways, and the fact that once you finally beat 'em, it was satisfying.

Retro Studios rocks and frankly, I think Tropical Freeze might just be the best game on the Wii U.

...so where is my official soundtrack, Ninty/Retro? I would buy it in a heartbeat!

Just a warning... Puzzle pieces don't unlock stages, only KONG letters and secret exits do.

Orgen

Finally beat the final boss in hard mode an got 200%! GOTY for me (bayonetta 2 is the only other contender for me).

We all know the true underrated track is the condensed jaunty whistling version of Mountain Mania you only hear at checkpoints on Sawmill Thrill if you lose a life.

We all know the true underrated track is the condensed jaunty whistling version of Mountain Mania you only hear at checkpoints on Sawmill Thrill if you lose a life.

The track that plays in Sawmill Thrill before hopping in the mine cart is also pretty swell.

Edit-just received my first pro controller. Think I'll take it for a spin with some DK. Got like 2 days to git gud with it before Smash.

Big Nikus

I'd love to play this game for Christmas, but I just learned that you can only play as Donkey in solo. With the heavy focus on the other characters before the release of the game I thought that you could pick the one you wanted to play with... I don't have anybody to play this in multiplayer, my girlfriend is terrible at platformers and doesn't enjoy it. I wanted to play as Diddy and/or Dixie :(
I know it's not that important, and I'll still play the game, but right now I'm really disappointed (and it frustrates me because otherwise it looks incredible).

I'd love to play this game for Christmas, but I just learned that you can only play as Donkey in solo. With the heavy focus on the other characters before the release of the game I thought that you could pick the one you wanted to play with... I don't have anybody to play this in multiplayer, my girlfriend is terrible at platformers and doesn't enjoy it. I wanted to play as Diddy and/or Dixie :(
I know it's not that important, and I'll still play the game, but right now I'm really disappointed (and it frustrates me because otherwise it looks incredible).

You may already know this...but after beating the game you do get the option to pick your character. I agree though, it would have been better to get that choice off the bat.

Big Nikus

I absolutely didn't know and you just blew my disappointment away, thank you !
I'll enjoy the solo play as it is, with the partners acting as "power-ups", knowing I'll unlock them after beating the game.

Roo

Sorry to bump this thread, I just wanted to wish a late Happy Birthday to one of the best platformers of all time.

One of my favorite Wii U games.
A real gem that deserves all the love it gets :D

Happy Birthday, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze! :D

Virgman

Neo Member
Experts of this game, or people who are pretty good at it. What's your explanation of how to handle the controls. I'm using the D-Pad, Y to Run, and B to Jump. However, it is ingrained in me to always hold down Y, which works for me in moist 2D platformers, but seems to hinder my TF game. So I guess my question is, what is your approach for having the best control over DK?

My advice is to abandon the d-pad and hold button to run control scheme, embrace the stick which requires no run button to be held down.

Virgman

Neo Member
My advice is to abandon the d-pad and hold button to run control scheme, embrace the stick which requires no run button to be held down.

Thanks for the reply! I didn't realize that the stick allowed you to run automatically. Just tried it out and it really allows me to jump more accurately. I'll just need to get used to using the RT to grab barrels, but the trade-off is really quite nice.

jnWake

Thanks for the reply! I didn't realize that the stick allowed you to run automatically. Just tried it out and it really allows me to jump more accurately. I'll just need to get used to using the RT to grab barrels, but the trade-off is really quite nice.

Yeah. Stick is the way to go. Using triggers to grab stuff is great for speed runs too.

epmode

I don't want to bump the soundtrack thread since it may disappoint people but has Nintendo really not released an official soundtrack for Tropical Freeze? Crazy.

I don't want to bump the soundtrack thread since it may disappoint people but has Nintendo really not released an official soundtrack for Tropical Freeze? Crazy.

I don't think Nintendo realizes the goldmine they're sitting on with their soundtracks. It's a crime that this game in particular hasn't seen a soundtrack release.

Volotaire

Hi guys/gals. I just received DKCTF finally! I was wondering if there were any significant differences between D-Pad and stick controls, and which are preferable to use? I love using D-pad's for platformers and used the Wii remote (D-Pad) only in DKCR. Apparently if you use the stick there is no need to hold down the run button?

Thanks!

Hi guys/gals. I just received DKCTF finally! I was wondering if there were any significant differences between D-Pad and stick controls, and which are preferable to use? I love using D-pad's for platformers and used the Wii remote (D-Pad) only in DKCR. Apparently if you use the stick there is no need to hold down the run button?

Thanks!

I'd recommend stick controls - it's nice to not have to hold down a button to run. Try them, and if you're having trouble with precision, you can switch to Dpad controls (though I think the stick controls are more precise than they might sound at first).

Enjoy ;)

Volotaire

I'd recommend stick controls - it's nice to not have to hold down a button to run. Try them, and if you're having trouble with precision, you can switch to Dpad controls (though I think the stick controls are more precise than they might sound at first).

Enjoy ;)

I've been experimenting with the control schemes for the first couples of levels. Surprisingly, there's 2 versions for the d pad and stick. I don't think I like using the triggers to run because I don't like how the triggers feel and operate on the Wii U Pro Controller. As for the d-pad and stick debate, this is a tough one. I like them both! It is slightly relieving to not run in levels, but then I love classic style too.

Thanks again!

maxcriden

I've been experimenting with the control schemes for the first couples of levels. Surprisingly, there's 2 versions for the d pad and stick. I don't think I like using the triggers to run because I don't like how the triggers feel and operate on the Wii U Pro Controller. As for the d-pad and stick debate, this is a tough one. I like them both! It is slightly relieving to not run in levels, but then I love classic style too.

Thanks again!

Personally, I will say I strongly prefer using the d-pad and IIRC (been a while since I've played it much, amazing game though!) I opted to not use the trigger for running either. I was using the GamePad, though. I just really prefer a d-pad when it comes to 2D platformers overall, so that worked best for me.

Oidisco

I used both, and overall stick controls are probably better largely because it makes swimming in water a little easier. Having said that, the current world record holder and the person in second place for speedruns both use d-pad controls, so really it just comes down to preference!

maxcriden

I used both, and overall stick controls are probably better largely because it makes swimming in water a little easier. Having said that, the current world record holder and the person in second place for speedruns both use d-pad controls, so really it just comes down to preference!

I will say it definitely is easier to finesse the swimming movements with the stick. It also is a double-edged sword for me personally because with that greater degree of undersea control comes for me a greater tendency to not have as specific control over the direction, and not go quite where I mean to. In that sense, the d-pad's restrictions can be useful.

Volotaire

Rambi sections are a nightmare on the D pad controls since I don't like using charge on the trigger for Rambi. I had to switch midway in this section.

Volotaire

Grassland Groove... Mother of god. The almost crescendo climb of music and the design of animals into the levels design towards the end of the level. My favourite level of the game thus far.

Oidisco

I'm finally getting back into speedrunning this game after taking about a month break since my last PB to focus Splatoon runs. Feel completely refreshed now and ready to get into the top 3!

It's gonna be rough though, currently 7th place on the leaderboards and I have to save well over a minute of time just to get top 5.

I'm finally getting back into speedrunning this game after taking about a month break since my last PB to focus Splatoon runs. Feel completely refreshed now and ready to get into the top 3!

It's gonna be rough though, currently 7th place on the leaderboards and I have to save well over a minute of time just to get top 5.

What level? Or the full game?

Oidisco

Full game. That reminded me to check my records and see what I still have.

I lost my 2-6 WR, but I didn't deserve that one. I may have discovered new strats for that stage, but my actual time-attack run was terrible and still got WR somehow. Kinda glad it's gone.
I still have the 4-5 record though. Hardest level in the game so I'm super proud of that one!

Full game. That reminded me to check my records and see what I still have.

I lost my 2-6 WR, but I didn't deserve that one. I may have discovered new strats for that stage, but my actual time-attack run was terrible and still got WR somehow. Kinda glad it's gone.
I still have the 4-5 record though. Hardest level in the game so I'm super proud of that one!

Woah, nice job!

4-5 is...Sea Stack Attack? I could be misremembering.

Oidisco

Yea that's the one.
Casually it's a pretty tough level but nothing too crazy, but for speedrunning it's ridiculous. Every jump and every little trick is super precise and any small mistake can kill you, with each death being very punishing in this level thanks to the checkpoints being fairly far from eachother.

4-5, 4-6, Fugu and 5-1 is probably the hardest stretch of levels in the game. There's like 4 stretches of levels that are really tough, with the rest of the game being pretty easy.

Yea that's the one.
Casually it's a pretty tough level but nothing too crazy, but for speedrunning it's ridiculous. Every jump and every little trick is super precise and any small mistake can kill you, with each death being very punishing in this level thanks to the checkpoints being fairly far from eachother.

4-5, 4-6, Fugu and 5-1 is probably the hardest stretch of levels in the game. There's like 4 stretches of levels that are really tough, with the rest of the game being pretty easy.

I guess we've come a long way from 2-2 and 2-3 ending runs lol.

Have any new strats been found to more consistently get crazy speed off the tornado in 3-3? That seemed like a potential run killer at AGDQ.

Oidisco

Oh no 2-1, 2-2 and 2-3 still end runs! Everyone stills finds them pretty tough, current WR holder (Michael Goldfish) actually thinks that's the hardest stretch in the game. Since in that case it's not even just dieing, losing Cranky at any point is very costly and it sucks!

And the tornado is still just as hard. I still haven't even learned to do it yet because it scares me too much.

There actually hasn't been much stuff discovered in the game since AGDQ. I found a 3-second timesave which is the biggest we've got since then. Honestly I think we have the full game figured out for any%. 100% is still very unoptimised since there were only 2runners involved and both have taken a long break from it.

Oidisco

There is no new 4-5 strat. I just optimised the route through the level for Time Attack to include as many pogo jumps as possible.

nakedeyes

Banned
Just got this game. Seems great so far! Loving the level design and soundtrack.

I am a long time donkey kong country fan, and have played through all of the previous games with my wife, but we have been super bummed that there is no proper 1v1 competitive play mode like the old SNES games had ( where each player 1 and 2 are essentially doing their own single player playthrough and it switches every time the other play dies ).

Seems like such a fucking shame not to include it. It has got to be simple to implement and is how a lot of my friends and I remember playing these games.

Also a bit bummed that I can't have roll and run both be on the same button ( also like the old games ), but I am starting to get used to this one at least.

nakedeyes

Banned
Yeah, I realize that is retro's line of thinking ( and how my wife is playing as well ), but I really wanna use the dpad!

I know I am just being stubborn, but this game is a couple game/control options away from greatness and it's a bit of a bummer

Finally getting around to playing this game. The first world was okay, and going by the first boss, I already know the future bosses in this game will be the end of me. I'm in the second world now and the game is really starting to click with me. The controls took a lot more getting used to than I would have thought. I kept getting the various actions mixed up, and I still do sometimes, but I assume I'll be fully accustomed to them soon enough.

I liked the music during the first boss, but the other tracks so far haven't done much for me yet. I listened to some of the soundtrack a while ago so I know I should be in for a treat as I progress further through the game...

jnWake

Quality and difficulty quickly raise from World 2 onwards. World 1 is a tame intro, the game beggining from World 2 is simply top quality, although I do like 1-A and 1-K.

ghibli99

Didn't want to create a new thread or bump an old LTTP one, but I just got 100% in this after nearly a year of off-and-on play. Amazing game, but I have no interest in doing the TAs or Hard Mode. "Regular" was more than enough for me. LOL

What a pair of games this and DKCR are!

jnWake

Didn't want to create a new thread or bump an old LTTP one, but I just got 100% in this after nearly a year of off-and-on play. Amazing game, but I have no interest in doing the TAs or Hard Mode. "Regular" was more than enough for me. LOL

What a pair of games this and DKCR are!

Time Attacks are glorious. Time consuming and hard to pull off, but glorious.

Playing this game. It's so damn good. I haven't found a single secret level so far though and I just cleared 4-1. That Aquatic Ambiance remix... so good.

Top Bottom