• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze |OT| There's always money in the banana stand

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I am still so bad at this game. I struggle through the first world and am on the second now, but I still don't have the physics down. Sometimes I fall way short on jumps that I totally think I can miss. This game has some momentum stuff going on that I don't understand.

I've died about 15 times on world 2-1, lol. I'm not used to being bad at video games. :-(

Edit : The fact that I have to constantly mash the Y button to get Rambi to go fast is SOOOO annoying. And he slows down so abruptly -- it's caused me to miss a few jumps and die. This gaaaaame I don't get itttt

Edit 2 : Okay, I just got through 2-3 with relative ease. Maybe there's hope for me? I want to get good at this game cause it's so beautiful and funny and charming and just joyous.

TripOpt55

I've always respected this series, but it never has been a favorite of mine. I just got this game though (finally got a Wii U a couple weeks ago) and it is the most fun I've had with the series. I'm not exactly sure why, but it is just hitting me the right way I guess.

The level design and mechanics are great of course. The music is so amazing. I love the looks of the different worlds. I didn't love the full water world. It was actually pretty solid by underwater level standards, but I just prefer the traditional platforming levels. I am halfway through World 5 now and think this is just a fantastic game. Can't wait to play more tonight.

Finally finished Hard Mode using only DK. That 200% feels so good!

GOTY so far. It's so amazing :D

I've been meaning to get around to this. The first time I went through Hard Mode I used a combination of the partner Kongs, mostly to see their various animations. But DK only will be the ultimate test... I dread playing Slippy Spikes. Though i don't see it being as hard as Mirror Mode from DKCR. I still have nightmares about Jagged Jewels.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I've been meaning to get around to this. The first time I went through Hard Mode I used a combination of the partner Kongs, mostly to see their various animations. But DK only will be the ultimate test... I dread playing Slippy Spikes. Though i don't see it being as hard as Mirror Mode from DKCR. I still have nightmares about Jagged Jewels.

You honestly might have an easier time than you'd think. I was expecting certain levels to be a pain in the ass (like Irate Eight and Slippy Spikes), but overall it wasn't really that bad.

Socreges

Banned
What an excellent game. Worlds 4 and 5 were a bit disappointing at times, but World 6 was jaw-dropping. Possibly the best DKC world in the entire series.

One thing that World 4 did really well was its boss. I thought a water world boss would be awful, but it was great.

And yeah the level design was superb. A bit 'set piece'ish at times, but often inspired and always fun.

David Wise needs to be a regular feature in the industry. The man knows what he's doing.

On to finish the K levels and see Retro's left for last...

What an excellent game. Worlds 4 and 5 were a bit disappointing at times, but World 6 was jaw-dropping. Possibly the best DKC world in the entire series.

One thing that World 4 did really well was its boss. I thought a water world boss would be awful, but it was great.

And yeah the level design was superb. A bit 'set piece'ish at times, but often inspired and always fun.

David Wise needs to be a regular feature in the industry. The man knows what he's doing.

On to finish the K levels and see Retro's left for last...

Of course the swimming levels are divisive, but what did you find disappointing about Juicy Jungle? I thought it was the best world in the game and perhaps the entire series.

For some reason Juicy Jungle was simply okay for me on the first time through, then I came to my senses on a replay and realised that it was arguably the best world in the game.
The pinnacle of Retro's merging of art and level design running with the factory processes concept to its fullest.

Lunar15

Juicy Jungle was pretty incredible. It had good pacing and knew when to throw fun levels between really stressful levels.

Actually, World 4 is one of my favorite levels as well. I liked the water levels, but I could see how they would be divisive. I think that World 3 is the most overrated. It's neat in concept, but the levels are nothing to write home about.

Socreges

Banned
Of course the swimming levels are divisive, but what did you find disappointing about Juicy Jungle? I thought it was the best world in the game and perhaps the entire series.

For some reason Juicy Jungle was simply okay for me on the first time through, then I came to my senses on a replay and realised that it was arguably the best world in the game.
The pinnacle of Retro's merging of art and level design running with the factory processes concept to its fullest.
I was really fond of its theme and how much creativity it took to continuously tie it into the level design. Very impressive. But I think that theme might have come at the expense of actually functionally good level design to some extent. It felt 'set-piece'ish and repetitive at times.

Granted, there's one level I haven't unlocked yet. That'll be my objective tonight. So I can't say I've experienced the whole world.

And a note to the World 5 Defense Force: all I said was it was "disappointing at times" - I still enjoyed it a lot for the most part.

jnWake

World 2 was my favourite one. The theme is so cool and the music is damn good.

World 5 is definitely very good too and has some fun to speedrun levels.

What I loved about the concept was the merging of industrial and organic. The DKCR factory was pure industrial, and in Metroid Retro would primarily focus on one or the other (though not entirely) depending on the area. Juicy Jungle was a perfect fusion of two very different themes.

I was really fond of its theme and how much creativity it took to continuously tie it into the level design. Very impressive. But I think that theme might have come at the expense of actually functionally good level design to some extent. It felt 'set-piece'ish and repetitive at times.

Granted, there's one level I haven't unlocked yet. That'll be my objective tonight. So I can't say I've experienced the whole world.

And a note to the World 5 Defense Force: all I said was it was "disappointing at times" - I still enjoyed it a lot for the most part.

No worries dude, I was just curious to hear you elaborate :).

World 2 was my favourite one. The theme is so cool and the music is damn good.

World 5 is definitely very good too and has some fun to speedrun levels.

World 2 takes second place for me after 5.

5 > 2 > 6 > 4 > 3 > 1. They were all incredible though.

Niraj

Didn't mean to be rude or anything, was just saying :) the whole game is really good, so of course everyone won't like the same things, nothing wrong with that.

Socreges

Banned
No worries dude, I was just curious to hear you elaborate :).

Didn't mean to be rude or anything, was just saying :) the whole game is really good, so of course everyone won't like the same things, nothing wrong with that.
All good. Nothing wrong with what anyone said - I was just struck by how many people immediately expressed their love for World 5 in the face of my criticism. ;)

"perfect fusion of two very different themes" is exactly right. I didn't totally care for the tone or art, though, despite that. I'm one of those guys that gets excited any time they throw in a moody track on a moody level in DKC, something World 5 sorely lacked.

I'll be playing through in Hard mode (there is such a thing, yes) so there's definitely an opportunity for me to possibly be converted.

[edit] I played through Shoal Atoll tonight -- was left disappointed that they went that route yet didn't manage to make it all that interesting.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm playing this game for the first time in like two or three weeks, and once again I'm dying on every little stupid jump. I'm so bad at this game. I can't even jump right. :-(

Edit : I've lost like 20 lives trying to get the G on world 3-1. I don't get the movement in this game at all. Sometimes I overshoot jumps, sometimes I fall short, and I'm just totally baffled.

I'm playing this game for the first time in like two or three weeks, and once again I'm dying on every little stupid jump. I'm so bad at this game. I can't even jump right. :-(

Edit : I've lost like 20 lives trying to get the G on world 3-1. I don't get the movement in this game at all. Sometimes I overshoot jumps, sometimes I fall short, and I'm just totally baffled.

Are you using Dixie or Diddy? They make jumps far more manageable and allow you to correct your mistakes in midair.

Socreges

Banned
The physics definitely come with a learning curve. But once you get it down the platforming is extremely satisfying.

The gravity of the game makes little things like DK diving into the water at the beginning of Irate Eight very cool. And on that note, I find myself enjoying the water levels more and more as I master the water controls. Feel like a boss.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Are you using Dixie or Diddy? They make jumps far more manageable and allow you to correct your mistakes in midair.
Yeah, I usually go with Dixie, and that definitely helps. But since I'm dying so much, she often isn't around, haha.

Yeah, I usually go with Dixie, and that definitely helps. But since I'm dying so much, she often isn't around, haha.

I gotcha. Well... Diddy might actually be more helpful for jumps because he is more horizontally stable. Might want to give him a try. Also, take full advantage of Funky's shop if you haven't been... Extra hearts, invincibility potions, green balloons to save you from pits, etc. Also, try practicing your jumps and your roll jumps on safe ground a bit until you can get better at controlling the momentum.

Socreges

Banned
Just got 1:55.59 on 5-K Platform Problems. :D

(1:56 is Gold)

I feel an addiction growing. Gotta beat the game before I get too hung up on Time Attack though.

Do you need all Golds to get 200%?

Niraj

I feel an addiction growing. Gotta beat the game before I get too hung up on Time Attack though.

You don't need any actually.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I... I hate this game.

Should I be rolling to gain momentum? There's no run button, right? What am I doing wrong? I haven't had such a hard time with a game since the SNES, coincidentally enough.

I just died four times on world 3-2 before reaching the first checkpoint. Fucking hell. I'm so bad at this game. I might need to go to therapy for this.

Edit : 20 lives later, I'm giving up for the night. I felt like I was in the zone for a second there, though. Rolling does seem to be important, but it's hard to tell how far DK will roll sometimes. Sometimes I roll right off cliffs, lol. And I'm trying to grab onto vines and it's not working? I don't get this game.

Thanks for being my venting outlet, GAF.

I... I hate this game.

Should I be rolling to gain momentum? There's no run button, right? What am I doing wrong? I haven't had such a hard time with a game since the SNES, coincidentally enough.

I just died four times on world 3-2 before reaching the first checkpoint. Fucking hell. I'm so bad at this game. I might need to go to therapy for this.

Edit : 20 lives later, I'm giving up for the night. I felt like I was in the zone for a second there, though. Rolling does seem to be important, but it's hard to tell how far DK will roll sometimes. Sometimes I roll right off cliffs, lol. And I'm trying to grab onto vines and it's not working? I don't get this game.

Thanks for being my venting outlet, GAF.

I may be able to help with a few pointers here.

- DK's Roll has a fixed distance in these games, unlike the SNES games where the roll length could vary whether you hit an enemy (increased speed and distance) or were standing still (barely any forward movement). You can however make the roll continuous if you have a kong partner and keep pressing the roll button, if you start a roll and immediately realize things are going to go awry you can jump out the roll though doing so will perform the momentum heavy roll jump, speaking of which...

- Rolling doesn't gain you momentum, it's more of a quick short burst, jumping during a roll however gives you a leap that has covers a lot more ground at the expense of being less controllable, momentum is factored into this seeing as bouncing off enemies after a roll jump will continue the hurtling process. You don't really need to worry about this ability so much as its a sort of advanced technique that you have to get to grips with but it may help explain why you feel rolls factor into standard momentum.
Slightly related point if you didn't know that you can perform the jump part of a roll jump in the air (say roll off a ledge to collect an item hovering over a pit and then launch yourself back to land with a jump, some Kong letters require this).

- DK doesn't use a run button, he reaches his top speed after a few steps forward pushing the stick all of the way forwards. That said there is an alternative control option for D Pad and a run button which you may prefer, personally though I think the analogue is perfect for this game.

- Vine grabbing, like all grab related things in this game be it barrels or objects tugged out the ground it's just a case of having the grab button held down when you come into contact with the object in question.
In the case of vines specifically, leaping from one vine to another has DK perform a smaller sideways jump that covers little ground as opposed to the more usual platforming game tradition of being able to just fully leap off ropes as if they were solid ground. Despite the smaller leap when going from vine to vine it still plays by the usual rules where the jump is stronger when the jump button is held down so if you just tap jump to go from one vine to the next you may notice that DK sort of flops off the vine and this can lead to you grabbing the next vine a lot lower down than you'd expect or even missing it entirely if not timed well.
In any case ensure you keep the grab button held down when on a vine or you'll just drop off.

- And in case you hadn't noticed a high bounce off an enemy is performed here by hitting jump again as you bop the enemies head, the timing window is a lot more generous here than it was in DKCR.

3-2 is Baobab Bonanza right? In a way that's actually one of the tougher midgame stages as it focuses heavily on more standard yet strict platforming for the first half with the leaning flowers gimmick over quite large bottomless pits and a few tricky enemy placements some of which you may have to bounce off of in order to continue on (I think). One of those stages where if you do have a handle on the roll jump it can make things a lot easier, if not though i'd recommend using Dixie as a partner, while Cranky can pogo off the spiky fruit and bramble patches you'd probably find it easier to get the extra height and distance with jumps and correct mistakes. Funky's Shop has DK barrels you can bring into stages as a backup if you keep losing partners as well as other stuff that may help.
As an aside this stage was genuinely one of the toughest for me on hard mode, it's so easy to make simple yet costly mistakes.

jnWake

Let the TT addiction consume you. I've played like 170 hours of the game because of that!

Sagitario

- And in case you hadn't noticed a high bounce off an enemy is performed here by hitting jump again as you bop the enemies head, the timing window is a lot more generous here than it was in DKCR.
This made a HUGE difference for me. That was the only complain/issue I had about controlling Donkey in Returns.

Excellent post, btw.

illusionary

Just got my 100% last night, with all puzzle pieces - that felt good, after struggling a little with a few places in the last few stages. I'm still some way below those of you going for speedruns, of course!

I think I'm going to be satisfied to leave the game at that, without the need to try to put myself through hard mode.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I just got this game today. If I select TV for primary screen, it turns off my gamepad and I don't have sound because I plug headphones into the gamepad. If I set it to gamepad, I can't watch on my TV. WTF man.

Edit: Forgot sound can go through HDMI and my monitor has a headphone jack. Though I haven't checked to see if Wii U has optical out to use my actual audio equipment...

Edit 2: I guess it doesn't... I suppose I'll need to HDMI into my computer then HDMI out of it to my monitor and use the HDMI input to my computer as a sound source in Widnows to be able to get it out to my DAC/AMP a preserved digital signal so whatever shitty DAC my monitor is using doesn't degrade it.

On the upside, since it'll also have Windows sound, I should easily be able to have Wii U sounds and custom music (not with Tropical Freeze tho) coming into my headphones that way.

Edit 3: Okay well I don't have enough HDMI options for that so I'll have to pray that USB works... except somehow I don't have a single normal USB cable! I need to fix that! I guess now is the time to get those few other things I wanted to get on monoprice as well. If the monitor USB doesn't transfer audio digitally, I can at least use a 3.5mm cord to go from my monitor to my line in and have a similar effect that way, just not as nice of quality.

Socreges

Banned
Oh man

7-1 has some terrific level design
7-2 is pretty good
Here's hoping 7-3 is more like 7-1

Am I the only one who sometimes does really well on these hard levels in the first go but then takes several tries to make it as far again?

illusionary

Oh man

7-1 has some terrific level design
7-2 is pretty good
Here's hoping 7-3 is more like 7-1

Am I the only one who sometimes does really well on these hard levels in the first go but then takes several tries to make it as far again?

Far from it - trying to recreate a previous good performance can be part of what makes us keep coming back!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The new bounce timing is so nice. I almost hated having Diddy in the original because of the short window while DK solo could just hold the jump button.

After several months away from the game, I dove back into it over the past several weeks to collect every puzzle piece and blitz my way through Hard Mode. I'm now sitting at 200% with all images unlocked, and while I have no intention to go for time trial medals or collect all the blue KONG letters, there's no telling how long I'll be able to stay away.

As I expected when I finished the game on the normal setting, it's when the checkpoints drop away that the level design in this game truly shines. You get a very good sense of how every level introduces a single germinal concept and elaborates on it like a musical composition, sometimes telling a vignette of a story along the way.

I didn't like the swimming controls at all on my first run through the game to 100%. Now, while I still find them the weakest element of the game, being forced to learn them properly in order to survive Irate Eight or Fugu Face-Off without taking a hit made them seem a lot more manageable: it all comes down to making quick, precise assessments of when to boost with the roll button and when to paddle with the jump button. Still, I think the underwater controls come off as particularly clumsy relative to the rest of the game because there isn't much of a middle ground between too much momentum and no momentum at all. Startup lag, slow turning speed, and the forward momentum of a boost all add up to a substantial amount of time when you are not fully in control of your character and can't cancel out of imminent danger, which makes deaths while swimming a lot more frustrating than failing at platform jumping.

Tropical Freeze is a game that provides absolutely magnificent feedback when you execute something perfectly, but when you stumble, your options for error correction are limited. On the ground this isn't too big a problem as your movements with the stick are constricted to left and right and you can control your landing; underwater, there is a far greater risk of playing imperfectly, not quite aiming where you wanted to aim, and less room for error to get yourself out of trouble. So the swimming stages, along with some of the bosses (namely, Triple Trouble and Volcano Dome), caused me a lot more difficulty than any of the K-levels or the bonus world, which in Hard Mode were arguably easier than on normal as they had no checkpoints to begin with, and you can play them any character. If stages like Bopopolis cost me dozens of lives, I hardly noticed, as they were never frustrating in the way that the water stages or some of the bosses were: it was deterministic and any mistake I made was something I could isolate and fix.

One other observation as I unlocked all the images: as much as I like how puzzle pieces stay collected even if you die, as long as you remain in the level until you've completed it, it felt a bit cheap to grab some of the more difficult ones suicidally, as the game allows. This is actually a quirk of design that Rayman Legends (and I think Origins) solved quite well: there, if you grab a high-value Skull Coin in a difficult place, it doesn't count as collected until you've made it back to safety.

Minor criticisms, anyway, of an exemplary game. When it's good, it is nearly without peer. I've logged just under 63 hours, and it occurs to me that this may in fact be the most time I've ever spent on any 2D platformer, as even the classics I've played over and over were all fairly short. But Tropical Freeze is immense and robust, and little of the time I spent with it ever felt drawn-out or redundant. I was rarely ever bored.

For those who haven't done it yet, gunning for 200% is worth the effort. It demands that you pay attention to the meticulous craftsmanship and overall depth of the design, and it's here that the quality of the experience proves itself worthy of a whole other level of appreciation.

Pila

it's when the checkpoints drop away that the level design in this game truly shines

My man. I 100% agree.

After beating the game I started doing everything: gold medals, hard mode, puzzles... I did everything on the first three islands. Lately I realized that I was having fun but, deep in my heart, I knew that hard mode was what I really loved about my replay. Now I'm doing just hard mode (grabbing the KONG letters) and, well, I'm having a blast. Irate Eight was just awesome. Awesome.

Maybe I'll be back to the speed runs and puzzles but for now I'm in love with the hard mode. What a game, Retro I love you. <3

FULL CREDITS THEME WITH FULL STICKERBUSH SYMPHONY REMIX

izGyZcm43BVt4.gif

Socreges

Banned
Would you guys recommend playing the Wii DKCR before Trying tropical freeze? Or are they pretty similar
DKCR first. Doesn't offer much that DKCTF doesn't, but it's an excellent game in its own right. But if you're tight for money or time then you can afford to skip DKCR and go straight to DKCTF.

Would you guys recommend playing the Wii DKCR before Trying tropical freeze? Or are they pretty similar

I would recommend Returns first, if only because it's an incredible platformer. It feels less like a DKC game than Tropical Freeze but has arguably even better level design. Tropical Freeze is an absolute feast for the ears and eyes, is more varied, has superior boss fights, has less but longer levels, and is a tad less easier and a tad less "crazy."

jett

D-Member
Played a bit of at a friend's, co-op play was really fun, although a bit chaotic and sometimes confusing. :p It was really great, almost makes me want to have a Wii U of my own. Also replayed DKCR later at home and it just didn't seem to be as fun for some reason.

BTW I was under the impression you could roll in this game without waggling, but I couldn't find an option. Or is this only possible when using the gamepad? Couldn't do it with a wiimote+nunchuck.

Played a bit of at a friend's, co-op play was really fun, although a bit chaotic and sometimes confusing. :p It was really great, almost makes me want to have a Wii U of my own. Also replayed DKCR later at home and it just didn't seem to be as fun for some reason.

BTW I was under the impression you could roll in this game without waggling, but I couldn't find an option. Or is this only possible when using the gamepad? Couldn't do it with a wiimote+nunchuck.

Gamepad and Pro Controller.

jett

D-Member
Listening to a high quality version of the soundtrack, goddamn this music has really high production values that don't come across that well in-game or in the previous videos I had seen of it. A lot of live instruments. This is just fantastic. Nintendo really does deserve more success than it's getting this generation.

Seik

Banned
Oh man, it's great to see the hype still being alive around here, I often forget to go see the old OTs in the community section...

I should go back to it to finish it 100%.

Top Bottom