• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dontnod CEO on Life is Strange dev costs, mobile release and retail version

Thanks to Trick_GSF for posting on the OT.

As part of the ongoing Paris Games Week event, that has been getting a lot of publicity this year thanks to Sony holding their first ever press conference at the show, Oskar Guilbert, the CEO of DONTNOD Entertainment – the developers of Life is Strange – made an appearance on Tech&Co.

When questioned directly by a presenter about possibly releasing Life is Strange on mobile and tablets he responds positively, but gave no details on if and when such a port would be released. Guilbert also commented that Life is Strange cost under €6 million to develop, which is not exactly cheap, but not the 10s of millions many games can hit nowadays.

He reiterated the 1 million unit sales numbers that was made known during the release of Episode Four, and went on to say that publisher Square Enix are very happy with these numbers.

Later on he goes into more detail about the future of Life is Strange, mentioning a retail (disc based) copy of the game as well as a soundtrack. Based on his comment, it seems a CD could be bundled with the disc version when released.

Sadly, Guilbert never delved into any truly juicy material, like a possible follow up to the series, or what a Season 2 of Life is Strange would be about. That is news for another day.

Thanks to the Life is Strange subreddit for alerting all to the news, and providing translation of the interview.

Source: http://darkzero.co.uk/dontnod-ceo-t...android-retail-release-soundtrack-and-budget/

randomwab

Soundtrack CD with the retail? You have me for another purchase, Dontnod. My GotY so far and I don't see anything usurping it. One of the most refreshing games I've played in years.

A nice physical edition with the soundtrack would get me to double-dip. I got the game on sale at GMG anyway and I want to support Dontnod.

brau

I hope mobile sells well so we can get more quality work from them.

Don't really care for a mobile version of LiS. But i would love to see a new game.

A nice physical edition with the soundtrack would get me to double-dip. I got the game on sale at GMG anyway and I want to support Dontnod.

this would be great. i would get it.

Flarin

I'm happy for that studio's success. After Remember Me flopped I thought for sure they'd go under. Hoping to check out Life Is Strange before the year's over.

Shauni

Soundtrack CD with the retail? You have me for another purchase, Dontnod. My GotY so far and I don't see anything usurping it. One of the most refreshing games I've played in years.

If the price were right, I would probably opt for a disc version for the CD with the licensed music. I really enjoyed the music in the game, having it all on one soundtrack would be great to have.

Azuardo

I would pay for a physical edition. Easily my GOTY. Just hope they can add some extra endings in at some point...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm happy for that studio's success. After Remember Me flopped I thought for sure they'd go under. Hoping to check out Life Is Strange before the year's over.

IIRC they did, but as bankruptcy protection instead of bankruptcy liquidation.

Corpekata

Banned
Not particularly interested in getting a retail edition but something like a soundtrack is the type of thing that might make me consider it for more digital games, so I hope it catches on.

Tabris

I was waiting until the game was complete before considering.

I would love to find a non-spoiler review that went through the entire collection instead of individual episodes (again without spoiling it) - anyone know any reviews out there like that?

A physical version with a the OST bundled, in a physical way too? That's awesome.

The game was truly a great surprise. I remember buying it solely to support the devs (chauvinism, I'm French and I know they deserved more support) when there was this story about episode 2 released early because of some hackers or something.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Here's hoping it's not Europe-only or something. Love to get boxes for these types of releases.

BsZp5OrCUAA0oAT.jpg

Fisty

I wish we could get a retail version of episodic games that cut all the "previously on..." and crap like that and make it a whole, consistent experience. I always wait until entire seasons are out before buying/playing episodic games, and it bugs me that the format sticks.

Its like Netflix Original TV series that release the entire season in one go, but still have intros and credits and shit once an hour when you binge watch the show. Like... why?

Haven't bought the game yet so I'm hopping that a retail version is coming. A question, without spoiling the ending. Does it end on a cliffhanger? or does it conclude the main story arc and provide a satisfying finale?

I wish we could get a retail version of episodic games that cut all the "previously on..." and crap like that and make it a whole, consistent experience. I always wait until entire seasons are out before buying/playing episodic games, and it bugs me that the format sticks.

Its like Netflix Original TV series that release the entire season in one go, but still have intros and credits and shit once an hour when you binge watch the show. Like... why?

Probably because not everyone watches those shows or plays those games like they're twelve-hour movies. Also, to some extent I imagine the games are crafted around the episode concept. Some people in the LIS OT even commented that they felt it was better to play an episode at a time instead of all at once, that the anticipation made the experience more enjoyable.

For those who do get it retail if it comes out, don't marathon it. You ain't ready for that

^ Case in point.

Haven't bought the game yet so I'm hopping that a retail version is coming. A question, without spoiling the ending. Does it end on a cliffhanger? or does it conclude the main story arc and provide a satisfying finale?

No cliffhanger, the first season stands on its own.

Yeah, it's amazing to get to the point where well produced and long cutscenes can be made with a relatively low budget.

Did they use mo-cap for cutscenes? Some of the animations in the game are pretty great.

On Demand

Banned
I would buy a retail copy. do it.

I wish more indie developers made physical games, it would fill the shelves more, giving them presence, and people wouldn't be misled thinking these consoles have a small amount of games.

Good to know that at least some games have a complete story and not just a big hook to the sequel. Thanks. Chrominance, didn't know how to quote a single sentence.

Yeah, the episodic format works well considering where the breaks are.

It worked real well. I wasnt compelled to want more, and the two hours and change per episode worked great.

When you hit the cliff hangers how can you not?

I marathoned it this weekend. Those cliffhangers made it impossible to stop playing!

How did y'all survive?! The emotional beats just wrecked the shit out of me

should have made that 7 mill and complete the last episode.

Felt complete to me, yo

Top Bottom