• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dontnod Entertainment's Vampyr First Screens

Nazo

Definitely sounds really interesting. I really liked the art style they used in that concept teaser.

Harlequin

VG24/7 has a preview article: http://www.vg247.com/2016/02/29/vampyr-dontnod-follow-up-to-life-is-strange/

Some noteworthy info:
  • The game is indeed a third-person game.
  • Environments are semi-open world with different neighbourhoods.
  • Your actions in a neighbourhood influence how its inhabitants react.
  • You can theoretically get through the entire game without killing anyone.
  • Combat looks very generic at the moment (according to the article's writer).
  • There are, as expected, lots of interactive dialogues.

Gbraga

Looks amazing, can't wait to disable the chromatic aberration through ini files to make it look even more amazing.

It sounds really cool as well, but I'm not so fond of the "action" part. It seems to me that not even having a dedicated combat system would fit better with what this games seems to be. But I might be surprised, can't wait to watch some footage. E3, I'm assuming?

Hmm. This doesn't look that good to me, although the concepts are interesting. I guess I'm disappointed because I was hoping for something a bit more Life Is Strange-ish, but if they pull this off then I can't really complain. The screenshots aren't doing much for me. I guess I'll just have to wait until I can get my hands on it to make any sort of judgement!

GlamFM

Banned
Thought everything except for the art style in LiS was horrible.

Hope they have better writing in this.

kunonabi

VG24/7 has a preview article: http://www.vg247.com/2016/02/29/vampyr-dontnod-follow-up-to-life-is-strange/

Some noteworthy info:
  • Combat looks very generic at the moment (according to the article's writer).

I didn't like Remember Me or Life is Strange at all but this sounds interesting and third-person means I'll keep an eye on it.

Jakoo

The potential is definitely there, however I can see the "everyone can die!" and it's cascading impacts being hard to substantively execute on. Regardless, I am willing to follow Dontnod almost anywhere after Life is Strange.

I'm not a fan of these types of games "telltale, what LiS appears to be" but this one caught my attention.

This doesn't seem to be an episodic adventure game like Telltale stuff or LiS so I doubt the comparisoin applies.

looking good. hope their tech improved. LiS was great but animations and faces were stiff.

I think that was down to budget and schedule. Compared to other episodic games I felt that LiS was a significant step up.

Some noteworthy info:
    [*]Combat looks very generic at the moment (according to the article's writer).

That's unsettling.

Just played Remember Me yesterday so I can tell you with recent impressions that unless Dontnod hired Capcom, this game's combat will be hot poop on a spoon.

Parsnip

I actually liked Remember Me and thoroughly enjoyed Life is Strange, so I'm super excited for this.

Just as long as I can turn that CA off from menus or inis, I don't care.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Sounds good until I read this
Vampyr also offers a deep crafting system. Find and loot materials and components from the fresh corpses of your victims or during exploration, in order to craft and improve tools, melee and ranged weapons, as well as special ammunitions and coating to exploit the weaknesses of your enemies.
After far cry primal and well, almost any Ubi game, I'm tired of constantly collecting materials to make stuff. Just have enemies drop money and have stores, damnit!

I'm a sucker for anything Vampiric related, so this is a insta-buy for me, I am a bit worried about the combat, but I think I'll get it anyhow, the fantasy of playing as a vampire is too damn alluring, too damn strong, I can't resist the urge, still I'd love to see some gameplay footage, It is pretty weird why we didn't get a new trailer or anything today.

kind of weird that the official info says feeding is essential and a huge part of the game and but the VG247 info says you can play through the game without killing anyone...

kind of weird that the official info says feeding is essential and a huge part of the game and but the VG247 info says you can play through the game without killing anyone...
From what I read, Feeding is not killing, kinda like Vampire The Masquerade Redemption. You could drink till the victim die at your hands to get stronger, or just drink some blood to replenish yourself and keep them alive.

Papacheeks

Banned
Life is Strange is one of the most incredible gaming experiences I've ever had. I'm so ready for this.

Funnily enough I just finished Life is strange last night. I pretty much cried by chapter 4, and the ending to 5 made me happy cry.

Writing in that game was pretty amazing.

Hopefully your vampiric powers will include the ability to repel chromatic aberration.

Maybe there's been others, but the last good vampire game as far as I'm concerned, is still Vampire Bloodlines from like 13 years ago. So I like the general sound and look of this, particularly the part before it starts talking about combat and crafting.
There will be times when exploration and seduction will only get you so far, and you'll need to resort to engaging in Vampyr's dynamic real-time combat. It blends hard-hitting melee combat with ranged shooting mechanics and the supernatural vampire powers. You'll face many types of enemies: different species of vampires and creatures, as well as vampire hunters who want to hunt you down with their weapons, tools and traps. In Vampyr, your health and the "energy" that drives your supernatural powers are one and same! Using powers will drain your own blood, giving you an edge in battle but also leaving you weaker. You will have to find a way to feed during combat to replenish your strength.

Vampyr also offers a deep crafting system. Find and loot materials and components from the fresh corpses of your victims or during exploration, in order to craft and improve tools, melee and ranged weapons, as well as special ammunitions and coating to exploit the weaknesses of your enemies.
I keep wanting to think about Bloodlines, and its utter butt combat. Probably unfair, but regardless, I'm not into the the idea of combat being a big focus of a vampire game that you know, is trying to do other things. Even if Bloodlines' combat was alright, I would've still liked and remembered that game for the dialog, characters, politics, atmosphere n stuff. I feel like if I want to satisfy the craving for fighting like some sort of vampire, I'll play Dishonored 2.

Crafting sounds like a Feature(TM). Traditionally it adds running around and looking for things to gather. It's kind of a fine line between that encouraging exploration by adding a sense of getting rewarded for doing so, and it turning into more of a tedious chore. And it's becoming such a common thing in games nowadays that it just feels trite. So I'm skeptical of that.

But these aren't necessarily bad things, and as a whole I'm quite looking forward to this game.

Top Bottom