• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM – Launch Trailer

MrBlonde

I am so undecided on this, wish I played the beta. I still have unfinished games and only wanted to buy one game this month, it's between this and over watch, hopefully I'll find a couple hours this weekend to check out the beta

Malcolm9

I'm mainly buying this for the single player, so hopefully it's a decent effort. It's definitely looking good so far.

But the beta was only a few stuff with multiplayer, nothing with the campaign...

The core gameplay, gunplay and feel won't be different in multiplayer and single player. I don't even care about multiplayer modes personally but I tried it to check out the general 'feel' of the game. I can't imagine anything was drastically changed or fixed but I'm still holding out hope by way of reviews that this magically happened. I love the Doom franchise and would prefer if the Beta somehow was just some shitty old build.

The core gameplay, gunplay and feel won't be different in multiplayer and single player. I don't even care about multiplayer modes personally but I tried it to check out the general 'feel' of the game. I can't imagine anything was drastically changed or fixed but I'm still holding out hope by way of reviews that this magically happened. I love the Doom franchise and would prefer if the Beta somehow was just some shitty old build.

Mm the way the demons respond to fire is going to be totally different to other players. Plus different levels, the upgrade system.

But I liked the beta anyway so shan't argue.

Guys, you need to see this
http://youtu.be/f8aU4MYDsOQ

Fantastic, love Lee Hardcastle's stuff.

Reminds me of the original DooM scan models, which also remind me why the only gripe I have thus far with the monster design is that it's not quite as imposing as the original game. Take the Mancubus for example;

ZkOL5N4.jpg

Look at that creepy, humanoid face. It seems much more palpable and realistic.
doom-mancubus-screenshot_1920.0.jpg

This is way too much machine... not enough flesh!

Still better than whatever Elephant atrocity this was birthed from;
Mancubus.jpg

RedSwirl

If you go over 4 discs the packing costs go WAY up. The cases have to be packed by hand instead of by machine. If PC BRD drives were more standard this problem would go away... for a while.

Ah. I guess Rockstar could pack six DVDs into the physical PC version of GTA V because it's freaking GTA V and they can just afford to do that. Same for the last couple COD games -- I'm pretty sure Advanced Warfare on PC can be bought in a box containing six DVDs.

I wonder if Bethesda couldn't just do four discs and let the rest be downloaded, that would at least minimize the download size. I guess four discs is still more expensive than one though. Fallout 4's base game probably could have fit on three. It's the same size as RAGE (which shipped on three discs).

One thing I wish they would do, at least maybe for collectors editions where the publisher is already splurging money, is ship the game on a 64GB USB drive or SD card or something.

Reminds me of the original DooM scan models, which also remind me why the only gripe I have thus far with the monster design is that it's not quite as imposing as the original game. Take the Mancubus for example;

ZkOL5N4.jpg

Mancubus.jpg

That's the only other thing I wish they brought from DOOM1/2.

The designs are much more "hellish" and despite including metal/cyberpunk, the overriding design is that of flesh and demons.

I hope we get a modification that makes the monsters even more like DOOM1/2.

That said I also like the designs of id in the new DOOM also. But it would just be cool to have a more flesh/hell aesthetic like the originals.

ZkOL5N4.jpg

Mancubus.jpg

What a bizarre evolution.

Doom = Creepy, weird giant Hellraiser cenobite looking creature
Doom 3 = Elephant with a gas mask?
Doom 4 = Gears of War enemy with a crab's mouth?

So is the game a sequel to the original Doom series (1,2,Final) ? The words spoken at the beginning of the trailer say something about him returning again and all.

tesqui

I find it kind of exciting to go into this blind of critical reception. I won't have any sort of expectations of the games quality.

Yeah, the demons don't look particularly hellish to me. I still want the game, but Doom 1, 2, and 64 are all sublime in their monster and environment design. If you told me the demons in this game were aliens I'd probably believe you.

I never bothered with the beta due to being busy and slow Internet, but I am looking forward to the game.

When it was revealed, I was so-so, and I'm still not sure if it's something I will love, but it looks fun and has grown on me a bit. I heard good things about the beta from a friend, as well, so I'll give it a shot.

Having an embargo on launch day isn't that concerning anymore, but this is.

Especially considering how many pre-order bonuses there are (which would bring more people in). Probably why I may consider paying full price on Steam if I do, just so I can possibly get refunded.

According to this week's Giant Beastcast, no one's receiving review copies.

I wouldn't be surprised if the singleplayer is really bad. We haven't seen unedited singleplayer footage since E3 2015 (and even that seemed very tightly scripted), and there seems to have been a loss of talent behind the scenes. Not sending out review copies just makes me even more suspicious. I wanted this game to be good (especially with how good Wolfenstein: The New Order was), but it looks very iffy.

Never played a Doom game before, but I'm liking what I see here - a laser-like focus on gameplay with a really basic but understandable objective, survive and escape.

In an era where games are trying to do so much from a narrative perspective I'm glad we've still got games that are trying to keep it simple.

Might pick this up.

I wouldn't be surprised if the singleplayer is really bad. We haven't seen unedited singleplayer footage since E3 2015 (and even that seemed very tightly scripted), and there seems to have been a loss of talent behind the scenes. Not sending out review copies just makes me even more suspicious. I wanted this game to be good (especially with how good Wolfenstein: The New Order was), but it looks very iffy.

This is just factually incorrect. They did a full one hour stream and gamespot has a few clips around 10-12 minutes of unedited footage as well.

This is just factually incorrect. They did a full one hour stream and gamespot has a few clips around 10-12 minutes of unedited footage as well.

And it was this:
-shoot underwhelming guns
-look at the enemies glow neon colors
-press button to become invincible and kill enemy with bare hands, thus swiftly proving how shitty the guns must be
-repeat over and over

And it was this:
-press button to become invincible and kill enemy with bare hands, thus swiftly proving how shitty the guns must be
-repeat over and over

I don't even know what that criticism is supposed to mean?

I thought the guns looked fine. Feel free to articulate why they look bad.

Mr Swine

Banned
And it was this:
-repeat over and over

That was being played on the easier modes. If you want to play this game with a real challenge, then turn of compass, melted kill highlights and other stuff plus playing it on nightmare

Spoo

Pretty sure reviewers are looking forward to ripping Doom to shreds just because. I mean, they might have legitimate complaints coming from their point of view -- that games that boil down to just fast-paced action, little story, and lots of blood and guts are old and boring. Hell, they might be right for a lot of the usual audience, where big set pieces matter, and finding secrets or keys to open doors is disgustingly passe.

I mean, we've had opinion pieces showing up already that are pegging this and the new CoD game as basically devs trying to milk out the nostalgia to 11. It's interesting because a lot of the complaints I've seen in here are that the game isn't nostalgic enough (not fast enough, too much "skate park", guns aren't like the old ones/designs etc).

In short, I don't see them winning any glowing reviews for this. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is going to be a case where a lot of decisions about the quality of the game are made before hand, and the reviewing process is more one of confirming the bias.

To be clear: I think Bethesda should provide review copies. I think they aren't because it's not going to go over well. And I don't think it'll be because the game is poor (though I don't discount the possibility enitrely), but because the game is exactly what they've said it is, and communicated to the audience that it is via their gameplay demonstrations. I think they've shown plenty of the game in action for players to be able to make a smart decision about whether or not it's their bag, but I do think Beth probably doesn't want to deal with critics with a game playing to niche design (during the first few days of sales, anyway)

Then again, that won't stop the "If we had to rate it now..." reviews :D

That was being played on the easier modes. If you want to play this game with a real challenge, then turn of compass, melted kill highlights and other stuff plus playing it on nightmare

I don't know, even the footage of Nightmare that got out there seemed to be a little on the easy side. The enemy numbers aren't where they should be, and for all this trumping up of "skillful movement," there aren't really that many projectiles going around. Hell, some of the zombie enemies seem to solely exist as cannon fodder for free glory kills, giving the player loads of health.

Top Bottom