• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM – Launch Trailer

Mr Swine

Banned
I don't know, even the footage of Nightmare that got out there seemed to be a little on the easy side. The enemy numbers aren't where they should be, and for all this trumping up of "skillful movement," there aren't really that many projectiles going around. Hell, some of the zombie enemies seem to solely exist as cannon fodder for free glory kills, giving the player loads of health.

I haven't seen any footage of nightmare mode, you sure you don't mean the one that is just below?

Does "no review copies" exclusively mean bad game?

Managed to score it for £32 and I feel like, good or bad, I should play the new Doom game. Especially considering if this one tanks we won't be seeing another for a very, very, very long time :/ seriously this has been in development hell for years.

That said, everything I've seen (bar some monster designs), I like. The gameplay looks solid, and the devs look like they know what Doom's all about. It really comes down now to level design.

Doom's gameplay was the same from Level 1 to Level 32, nothing actually changed, you got barely any new weapons. What really made it special was each individual level, hence why there's still an active WAD making community.

I fear they haven't struck the balance right; sure, hell looks like Hell, but Hell in the originals was actually very varied. You'd be in a medieval looking keep the one minute, a series of mountain caves the next. I just hope, with all the furore about Snapmap, they can actually manage to create interesting and diverse levels.

Calabi

Is this going to have a deep social commentary about where the only way to defeat the demons is if you become one yourself. Otherwise I'm not buying it.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Does "no review copies" exclusively mean bad game? ...
If the publisher believed reviewers would score it 10/10, they'd send out review copies as early as possible, to start word of mouth to back the marketing campaign. If the publisher had reason to believe the game would review very badly, then they'd hold back review copies to get as many early sales as possible before word of mouth killed it. You don't hold back reviews if you're confident in your product.

Given the fallout from the nearly unanimously canned multiplayer beta, the over-priced and under-whelming season pass, and the utter lack of excitement that an hour long stream with the developers seems to have generated, I suspect Bethesda are thinking they have a stinker on their hands.

Does Bethesda have a history of holding back review copies? I just have trouble believing the game has turned out so bad they think reviewers would destroy it, but then again I don't follow reviews much to begin with.

Shitty thing to do either way. Does NOT inspire confidence in anyone pre ordering the game I'm sure.

Ulysses 31

Given the fallout from the nearly unanimously canned multiplayer beta, the over-priced and under-whelming season pass, and the utter lack of excitement that an hour long stream with the developers seems to have generated, I suspect Bethesda are thinking they have a stinker on their hands.

Is there a link for this?

Shredderi

If the publisher believed reviewers would score it 10/10, they'd send out review copies as early as possible, to start word of mouth to back the marketing campaign. If the publisher had reason to believe the game would review very badly, then they'd hold back review copies to get as many early sales as possible before word of mouth killed it. You don't hold back reviews if you're confident in your product.

Yep. It all comes down to how much faith the publishers have in the product. Whether the review copies are sent or not is not a random thing. It's all marketing strategy. It's never an especially good sign when the pubs don't have faith in their own product.

Maybe review copies not being sent isn't a great thing, but saying the multiplayer was almost "unanimously canned" and the hour stream generated "no interest" is utter bullshit.

NIGHT-

Htc5Ve8.jpg

This is random... Is Hardee's running a promotion for the game?

That about wraps it up. And yes, the Beta was received quute negatively, not sure where some of you were if you didn't notice. It was for good reason in my opinion and I was actually stunned at how weak it actually played and felt. I've hated the art direction, Nu-Metal music and glory kills from day 1 but was hoping the gameplay would at least be there. It's not.

People weren't ripping on the Beta in the GAF thread for example because it was 'different' but mainly because what WAS being presented was weak for what it was.

bidguy

Banned
snapmap looks crazy . it has to be limited in some way otherwise you could actually create a whole new campaign right ?

That about wraps it up. And yes, the Beta was received quute negatively, not sure where some of you were if you didn't notice. It was for good reason in my opinion and I was actually stunned at how weak it actually played and felt. I've hated the art direction, Nu-Metal music and glory kills from day 1 but was hoping the gameplay would at least be there. It's not.

People weren't ripping on the Beta in the GAF thread for example because it was 'different' but mainly because what WAS being presented was weak for what it was.

Having the most fun I've had with a MP shooter since TF2/Halo 3. We're clearly going to disagree so never mind.

antitrop

Does "no review copies" exclusively mean bad game?

People read too much into review timing. Early reviews don't guarantee the game is going to review well (Quantum Break as a most recent example), and late reviews don't guarantee a game will review poorly (though they often can, see: Assassin's Creed Unity).

If someone is gonna cancel a preorder over review copies not being sent out, I have no idea why they even preordered in the first place. The entire point of a preorder is to say "I don't care about the reviews, I'm buying this game right now, anyway".

ZehDon

Gold Member
People read too much into review timing. Early reviews don't guarantee the game is going to review well (Quantum Break as a most recent example), and late reviews don't guarantee a game will review poorly (though they often can, see: Assassin's Creed Unity)...
You're correct, in that early reviews don't guarantee the game is going to review well. However, it's not reading too much into the practice of review copies, to think if a AAA video game publisher is holding back one game's review copies, when it is not standard practice to do so, that the publisher lacks confidence in their product. Give how data driven these things are, it's not a stretch to think the game has fared poorly in internal reviews and they're predicting a poor selling game.

If someone is gonna cancel a preorder over review copies not being sent out, I have no idea why they even preordered in the first place. The entire point of a preorder is to say "I don't care about the reviews, I'm buying this game right now, anyway".

I pre-ordered because of a limited time discount I could get on the game. So if reviews came out before release and were good that meant I got a great game for cheap and if they turned out bad I could cancel it.

For the record, Wolfenstein: The New Order had a release day embargo, so this isn't out of the ordinary for Bethesda. Not that this game is gonna be as good as TNO, but ya know...this is kinda their thing.

razzel

Review copies not being sent out is just annoying. I've already preordered though and am pretty hyped, so I'm going down with the ship lol.

For the record, Wolfenstein: The New Order had a release day embargo, so this isn't out of the ordinary for Bethesda. Not that this game is gonna be as good as TNO, but ya know...this is kinda their thing.
But at least copies of TNO were sent out. Doom is getting sent to zero reviewers. :|

But at least copies of TNO were sent out. Doom is getting sent to zero reviewers. :|

Could be another Dying Light scenario. They didn't ship out review copies of it and instead focused on Youtuber impressions. And DL was still a good game. Because as of now I haven't seen anything from DOOM that would suggest that it's going to be bad. All of the campaign footage looks pretty solid.

Teknoman

Could be another Dying Light scenario. They didn't ship out review copies of it and instead focused on Youtuber impressions. And DL was still a good game. Because as of now I haven't seen anything from DOOM that would suggest that it's going to be bad. All of the campaign footage looks pretty solid.

Its got an actual soundtrack going for its campaign instead of just ambient noise, so thats one thing nice already.

As someone who immensely enjoyed Doom 3, im so ready for this. Miss me with the bullshit :- I just want to fuck up some demons.

Its just shit that my girl is such a fraidy cat. I cant play this at all at night otherwise she will get nightmares. Grown-ass woman, smh.

Simo

Such an awesome week for gaming though!!

I'm seeing quite a few people on Twitter and Instagram that have already snagged copies in Europe it seems. 6 days dammit...I was going to buy and finish off play Wolfenstein: TNO but the PS store wants $60 and GameStop $17 for a used copy or $20 for it new. Bloody thing was only sale for $10 and less all the time it seems except the time I want it. lol

Found it was pretty cool Mick Gordon also recently worked on the Battlefield 1 reveal trailer.

J_Viper

I can't think of an example of when a publisher held out on review copies of a game that turned later out well received.

I thought the SP footage looked fine, but I'm definitely skeptical now. I also recently noticed the lead guys on Rage are also the leads on this. That's not comforting.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I can't think of an example of when a publisher held out on review copies of a game that turned later out well received.

I thought the SP footage looked fine, but I'm definitely skeptical now. I also recently noticed the lead guys on Rage are also the leads on this. That's not comforting.

If anything that would make me more interested but then I loved the shit out of Rage. I'm still surprised at Bethesda holding back review copies though. They haven't been afraid to show the game at all and showed a lot of footage and it doesn't look terrible at all. Maybe it's just Bethesda being twitchy. I do still want to know why there's such obvious differences in speed etc from the beta compared to that Nvidia footage. I really hope they've bumped it up for the PC release.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Is DOOM cross play, or just the snapmaps are compatible with all platforms?
SnapMaps are certainly cross platform - which is why the PC versions' maps restrictions are identical to the console versions - however we haven't had any information in terms of cross-platform play. This late in the game, I doubt its in there if we haven't heard about it already.

antitrop

You're correct, in that early reviews don't guarantee the game is going to review well. However, it's not reading too much into the practice of review copies, to think if a AAA video game publisher is holding back one game's review copies, when it is not standard practice to do so, that the publisher lacks confidence in their product. Give how data driven these things are, it's not a stretch to think the game has fared poorly in internal reviews and they're predicting a poor selling game.
This shit was never gonna get 9s and 10s.

At best, it might review better than Wolfenstein (which I think was pretty underrated by reviewers).

Teknoman

SnapMaps are certainly cross platform - which is why the PC versions' maps restrictions are identical to the console versions - however we haven't had any information in terms of cross-platform play. This late in the game, I doubt its in there if we haven't heard about it already.

Im still waffling back and forth between the PC and PS4 versions...which I know i'll probably be able to get the PC version for a good price via GMG, but being IdTech 6, I dunno if that beta gameplay was representative of the final build. I was running the MP beta between low 30s and 40s...but I see the PS4 is 60fps locked.

Not really a big deal, but i cant decide heh.

antitrop

Im still waffling back and forth between the PC and PS4 versions...which I know i'll probably be able to get the PC version for a good price via GMG, but being IdTech 6, I dunno if that beta gameplay was representative of the final build. I was running the MP beta between low 30s and 40s...but I see the PS4 is 60fps locked.

Not really a big deal, but i cant decide heh.
There was a lot of screen tearing in the PS4 Beta. The Beta was a noticeable improvement over the Alpha, though, so that would be something I expect to be smoothed over for the final build.

Teknoman

There was a lot of screen tearing in the PS4 Beta. The Beta was a noticeable improvement over the Alpha, though, so that would be something I expect to be smoothed over for the final build.

Well I still have framedrops in Wolf:TNO PC version, so thats mainly what I was think about, but its a more advanced engine so i dunno.

Kevin

For those who preordered the PC version of Doom, where did you guys preorder from? Steam? GMG? CD Keys? Somewhere else?

Teknoman

How reliable is CD Keys? I've heard mixed things over the years...

I've only bought something from them once, and that was the Uncharted PS4 collection so I could get the U4 beta. Redeemed just fine on PSN, but other than that I cant say much.

I'm seeing quite a few people on Twitter and Instagram that have already snagged copies in Europe it seems. 6 days dammit...I was going to buy and finish off play Wolfenstein: TNO but the PS store wants $60 and GameStop $17 for a used copy or $20 for it new. Bloody thing was only sale for $10 and less all the time it seems except the time I want it. lol

Found it was pretty cool Mick Gordon also recently worked on the Battlefield 1 reveal trailer.

Any impressions from these people with early copies? A quick Google turned up nothing.

From what I saw, it is copies in the Middle East which are EU region copies because that's what the region comes under for PS4. Interested to know if there's a patch that's live already as well. Wolf had a pretty hefty patch at launch IIRC.

How reliable is CD Keys? I've heard mixed things over the years...

It's certainly unreliable and as shady/gray market-ass as you think it is...

...but it works.

I've found a good number of legitimate deals the I succesfully purchased over the holidays.

Basically just use it at your own discretion.

It's not a place i would buy full games from. I use it mostly for good deals on xbox or psn cards and season pass codes

shanafan

Has there been any streams of MP action? I don't think I will spend much of anytime with the SP. MP is why I want to pick this up.

EDIT: Found some on YouTube.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Okay, was just my bad memory. I played a lot of the Alpha, but not much of the Beta, so I'm inclined to remember it tearing more than not. Glad to hear it.

I just mentioned it since there was tearing in the closed beta but not the open one.

Top Bottom