• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom (2016) PC performance thread

b0bbyJ03

It's not like there is a big difference between 120 and 144 Hz. If you don't have G-SYNC/FreeSync, you should choose 120 rather than 144 anyway.

Thanks to all those that responded. I just purchased a PG278Q off my friend for $400. Haven't picked it up yet but i just read the specs and it has an option called ULMB which from what I understand is Nvidia's version of Lightboost so I'm very excited to see it in action. Kind of sux that it doesnt work with Gsync but I'm just excited about the upgrade all together.

Seems like not a lot of people have an Intel 6770 cpu. is it just because its so new? I finally switched over and upgraded from a 8350 and gtx760 the other week to 6770 and gtx970. Still keeping that old box around though.

Woorloog

Banned
So, i5-6600K (no OC), R9 390 (no OC beyond whatever MSI may have applied the GPU, can't recall) and 16GB memory. Freesync display with up to 75hz refresh-rate.

Runs rather well, using high-settings, usually 60+ FPS. Some slowdowns to about 40 FPS at certain places though i haven't been able to figure out what causes them. Possibly smoke, large amount of particles. AA+transparent surfaces like windows were also problematic until i started using FXAA.
Could probably optimize settings a bit, probably up some but whatever, quite pretty game.

kinggroin

Banned
Someone needs to make an updated thread detailing the ins and outs, advantages, disadvantages, and what to expect with Vulkan in Windows.

UnrealEck

Getting around 80 FPS on 'Nightmare' or max settings at 1440p with SMAA.

i7 6700
16GB 3200MHz
GTX 980 Ti - 1400MHz

I've also noticed the GPU utilisation isn't always 99% so it might not be fully optimised (drivers?).

Just played for a while on a 780Ti. Generally 50-60fps on 1080p Ultra, but switching levels and dying makes the performance sort of hover around 30fps. Changing some graphics settings makes it "unstuck" again. Anyone experienced something like this?

Edit: Turning off adaptive Vsync seems to have fixed this.

dr_rus

Are there new drivers for Nvidia? I have 2 980TIs in SLI and I'm only getting 55% per card, FPS maxing out at about 45 FPS @ 3440x1440.

The clocks for each card aren't even in sync. I've never seen that before....

My current drivers are 364.91

Can we expect new beta game ready drivers?

lYPb.png

http://steamcommunity.com/games/379720/announcements/detail/853808008918959670

UnrealEck

I unlocked the game with a VPN. Played for a bit. Now I tried to load it up again and it's trying to download the entire game again. All 48GB of it.
The full game (51GB) is still on my PC, installed, ready to play.

I unlocked the game with a VPN. Played for a bit. Now I tried to load it up again and it's trying to download the entire game again. All 48GB of it.
The full game (51GB) is still on my PC, installed, ready to play.

Did you have steam in offline mode when trying to play the second time?

Arkanius

Performance on a 980 Ti OC'd with + 120 Mhz :

Playing at 1400p
Everything maxed

AA is at SMAA

Framerates vary from 60 to 110 (never seen it above 120). Absolutely smooth, never saw it drop below 60 FPS.

I'm not using the latest Nvidia drivers.
The game is an absolute joy to play. Very smooth, this is amazing with Gsync (I never noticed until now how tearing sucks in fast paced games)

EDIT

I'm on a 3570K at 4.2 Ghz

Mechazawa

I don't think I'll ever be able to deal with these temporal versions of AA.

They're so god damn blurry.

Vanilla SMAA with motion blur seems like it's the nice middle ground.

Arkanius

Also, any XB270HU owners here?

I did the calibration of the gamma they recommended (lower it until you couldn't see the left doom) and everything was absolutely dark. The tutorial area was almost completely black.

At 1.0 it's way to washed out though.

Also, any XB270HU owners here?

I did the calibration of the gamma they recommended (lower it until you couldn't see the left doom) and everything was absolutely dark. The tutorial area was almost completely black.

At 1.0 it's way to washed out though.

I just left the gamma at 1.0 and it's been fine to me. The gamma test screen looks washed out on 1.0 but in the actual game it doesn't feel like that.

And I am on an XB270HU.

Justinh

Nothing at all, i've used VPNs to play games earlier and never had any ban or messages.
It's only when you use it to buy cheaper games from other regions when they can ban you.

Nope. I have used VPN's plenty of times before, never even got so much as a flick on the nose.
You're good.
Hmmm, I might actually give it a go then. I was worried about this before and I've never messed with this VPN stuff.

UnrealEck

Tried to play in offline mode. It says the game is not ready to be played in offline mode yet.
So it seems it's forcing me to download the entire 48GB of data again.

UnrealEck

Double click the DOOM icon on the desktop. It opens up the little Steam window for preloading, where you choose the drive.
The game is already installed, unpacked and everything. Has already been played. Yet clicking the icon to play it brings me to a screen telling me to download it and install it to the same fucking place it's already installed.

Why's this still so broken? I've seen people have this problem with other games too.

No. Is that the problem? I think I remember having to do that before with this method of unlocking.

The process is: vpn > steam > unpack game > start game once to complete setup > put steam in offline > disconnect vpn > play game

If steam is turned 'online' while not connected to the VPN it'll put you back in the preload state.

AlanOC91

AMD FX8350 @4.2Ghz and GTX970

Ultra settings the game runs like a dog. Medium/High keeps 60fps without AA.

Yeesh

Doesn't sound too good :/ Hope the game isn't too CPU heavy.

I have an FX8350 mixed with a 980ti. Granted, I play most games at 4k with this combo and it works absolutely fine for me.

BashNasty

Playing with a 2500k stock, 970gtx, 16gb ram and a 850 pro solid state drive. Everything is butter smooth at 1440p on a Acer G-sync monitor. Settings are high (not ultra) across the board.

Played about 3 hours so far and I'm loving the hell out of this game. It feels old school in all the right ways with just enough modern enhancements sprinkled on top to keep things interesting.

Nzyme32

Isn't OpenGL crap compared even to DX11?
Vulkan should give a good boost then. Why's it not in yet though? They already showed it off at the pascal launch.

No it isn't, but it is ridiculous to expect developers to easily get the same kind of performance just due to the cruft in OGL, which is one of the reasons behind the ground up approach to Vulkan.

Vulkan will be available for doom "really really shortly after launch". There are still some bugs, such as issues when going over 200fps. I also imagine that since Vulkan hasn't had it's full on debut in a "AAA" game, there would need to be a bunch of extra checks to makes sure everything goes smoothly.

Yo, this game runs really well
90-120 fps adaptive sync
Titan X, maxed 1080p
Core i7 930 @ 4.2 Ghz.

I am excited to see what vulkan does!
What's the preformance difference between SMAA and TSAA?

The SMAA (1Tx)variant will use analytical AA (SMAA 1x) , plus a TAA that renduces shimmering in movement. TSAA is accumulating previous frames on top of the previous to super sample the image.

Uh.... I'm using Freedome but it won't let me use VPN because it says my trial expired. Same goes for FlyVPN

Use Vypr.

Also, I can't believe how well this game runs. i5 4690K, GTX 970 OC and 16GB ram. Everything is on it's highest setting aside from AA which is down to SMAA. Solid 60fps at 1080p with zero drops at all, not one. I usually have to turn down shadows at least on newer games.

Grassy

I tried changing my resolution and a few other settings, now my screen is pitch black and I can't see the menus at all. Is there a video config file anywhere? I had a look in my documents folder, and also the Doom install directory but can't seem to find anything.

kinggroin

Banned
Doesn't sound too good :/ Hope the game isn't too CPU heavy.

I have an FX8350 mixed with a 980ti. Granted, I play most games at 4k with this combo and it works absolutely fine for me.

Well here's an update. Going offline and now I almost never drop under 60fps.

Go figure.

Top Bottom