• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom 3 BFG edition. Anyone excited for this?

I assume that the game delivers a smooth 60 fps, right? I mean, original id Tech 4 games basically required you to adjust either the "com_precisetic" or "com_fixedtic" settings in order to remove the constant microstutter from the engine. It drove me crazy until I found the setting to solve the issue.

Yes. It runs beautifully, but it doesn't look as good as Doom 3 IMO. The new lighting is brighter, and that's very nice, but it also looks "simplified" and the image has no "depth" anymore. It's hard to explain what I mean, but IMO it looks worse than Doom 3.

FGMPR

Banned
I assume that the game delivers a smooth 60 fps, right? I mean, original id Tech 4 games basically required you to adjust either the "com_precisetic" or "com_fixedtic" settings in order to remove the constant microstutter from the engine. It drove me crazy until I found the setting to solve the issue.

Rage did not have this issue, however.

They did not "strip out" co-op. It was never included in the original game (only available as a third party mod). Only the XBOX version had co-op included and that was a pretty different version of Doom 3.

Not quite.

Unlike Crysis, Doom 3 could run very well on PCs back at launch. I was using a Radeon 9700 Pro and it handled Doom 3 pretty damn well for its day. In fact, it was one of the smoothest PC game installs I had ever experienced by 2004. I installed and ran the game without needing to stop and tweak anything. It just worked and it ran beautifully.

Half-Life 2, on the other hand, was the total opposite. It was a clusterfuck at launch.

The point is that it was there, even if only as part of the xbox version. It should of been added in my opinion because at the moment, there really isn't much here to justify the asking price if you own the original (at least for a PC gamer), and the co-op mod is a pain in the arse to get working, yet pretty popular.

I just think if they are going to re-release an 8 year old game at a pretty decent price, then it should be more than what they are offering here. It could of been an fantastic re-release with hi-res textures, built-in co-op, WS, 3D support etc. and maybe even something like steam workshop integration. It just seems kind of pointless and a missed opportunity on the PC side.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yes. It runs beautifully, but it doesn't look as good as Doom 3 IMO. The new lighting is brighter, and that's very nice, but it also looks "simplified" and the image has no "depth" anymore. It's hard to explain what I mean, but IMO it looks worse than Doom 3.
I just watched a large chunk of PS3 footage and I'm not seeing it. I think it looks even better, lighting wise, than the original. It's not sikkmod quality or anything but it looks great.

It doesn't look simplified to me.

I do hate the fact that the flashlight appears offset to the left for some reason, though.

Once I get my hands on it I'll have a more definitive answer, though.

The point is that it was there, even if only as part of the xbox version. It should of been added in my opinion because at the moment, there really isn't much here to justify the asking price if you own the original (at least for a PC gamer), and the co-op mod is a pain in the arse to get working, yet pretty popular.
I would love to have seen it myself, no doubt, but the XBOX game was DIFFERENT. The single player levels were altered from the PC version and, in co-op, were changed further to allow for co-op. It was also an addition created by Vicarious Visions, not id, so I can see why they wouldn't adopt it.

Again, I think it would have been a nice feature, but it's not a deal breaker. I just love the idea of having all of this Doom content on one physical disc. The collector in me finds that appealing.

I just watched a large chunk of PS3 footage and I'm not seeing it. I think it looks even better, lighting wise, than the original. It's not sikkmod quality or anything but it looks great.

I do hate the fact that the flashlight appears offset to the left for some reason, though.

It's hard to see from videos and screenshots. And it's of course quite possible you'll find it better anyway. But to me it feels wrong. My friend will be happy I don't feel the urge to replay the game with this version and I can give him his account back :D

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm that was a surprise. I added it to my cart on Steam and it was discounted. Decided to pick it up for $20; I mean, why not?
Steam winter sale.

I can't believe it doesn't have coop from the original Xbox version. Day ruined.
I was genuinely shocked that this was not included in the BFG edition. Was one of the main deal-breakers for me.

Ocaso

For those wondering about flashlight shadows earlier in the thread, the PC version of this does not have them.

Wow. Seriously unbelievable. I suppose this'll be patched in at some point, but by now this is a standard lighting effect on any game with a flashlight. It's absurd the pioneer of lighting effects isn't keeping it.

As much as I love Doom 3, I still believe that the gameplay was somewhat compromised as a result of performance limitations.

Nearly every enemy in the game warps into the environment or only appear when the player crosses a certain threshold while dead bodies disintegrate almost immediately. Basically, in the end, active enemies only occupy the space directly around the player. When they DO occupy that space they are also completely aware of the player and will continue to attack until killed.

I've always felt that placing active patrolling enemies throughout the level while allowing enemies to lack player awareness until the player is spotted would have improved the experience quite a bit.

What continues to stick with me is how all of this was presented in the original 2003 Doom 3 E3 demo. Most enemies encountered are not initially aware of the player and can actually lose track of the player. I know this was all scripted but I loved the concept. Being spotted only to quickly hide in a room while an enemy searches for you seems thrilling and is one of the things that made System Shock 2 so terrifying. The presence of patrolling enemies would be equally terrifying (remember those large patrolling robots in Shock 2?).

THIS is the one thing that I feel would have elevated Doom 3 to legendary territory. It was the piece of the horror puzzle that they completed missed. In that sense, I really do believe that the demands of the engine forced them to limit certain aspects of the game.
Wow you're right. Never actually realized this, but Doom 3 without the "bubble of action" around you would be way better.

What looks "wrong" about it? That's what's confusing me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp3TgYmq8ck

I can't quite explain it. Your video looks "normal", but it's just a compressed video where all the little details are missing anyway. On my screen it looks/feels "wrong", the image has no "depth", no detail, it looks "fake". I suppose this isn't noticeable from a video.

It might sound funny (especially since my username pokes fun at people claiming nonsense about how something doesn't feel quite right on PC games :D) but that's how it seems to me.

(And FYI I've played the original Doom 3 just yesterday.)

hlhbk

Well since the keys have not been released I have put in a ticket for a refund from GMG. I hope I hear something back prior to the keys being released or I won't get a refund per their policy.

Well since the keys have not been released I have put in a ticket for a refund from GMG. I hope I hear something back prior to the keys being released or I won't get a refund per their policy.

I got my key from them. Check the Keys section after you log in

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

GMG took six days to act upon my refund request.

I would love to have seen it myself, no doubt, but the XBOX game was DIFFERENT. The single player levels were altered from the PC version and, in co-op, were changed further to allow for co-op. It was also an addition created by Vicarious Visions, not id, so I can see why they wouldn't adopt it.

Again, I think it would have been a nice feature, but it's not a deal breaker. I just love the idea of having all of this Doom content on one physical disc. The collector in me finds that appealing.

Where's the footage, may I ask?

Xander51

Wow. Seriously unbelievable. I suppose this'll be patched in at some point, but by now this is a standard lighting effect on any game with a flashlight. It's absurd the pioneer of lighting effects isn't keeping it.

Indeed. The new flashlight is also really bugging me. It's over to the left because it's supposed to be attached to your shoulder, but it just looks odd. Also, there's no real sound effect when you turn it on, it just kind of comes on. On a gamepad they wasted the left trigger on flashlight, when it could have been used for sprint or grenades or something. I wish this at least had the option to play the game the old way.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Video looks pretty damn nice. Looking forward to playing this not at 800x600 and 15fps like I did back when it came out.
KuGsj.gif

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So any footage of the PC version. I can only see 360/PS3 versions on youtube.

So the comparison I'm interested in the most is:

Original Doom 3 PC, no mods

vs.

Doom 3 BFG Edition PC

Never cared about texture conversions like Sikk mod and such. Just want to know if this is better than plain old DOOM 3.

Indeed. The new flashlight is also really bugging me. It's over to the left because it's supposed to be attached to your shoulder, but it just looks odd. Also, there's no real sound effect when you turn it on, it just kind of comes on. On a gamepad they wasted the left trigger on flashlight, when it could have been used for sprint or grenades or something. I wish this at least had the option to play the game the old way.

Damn.. so no option to play the original flashlight style?

JaseC

So the comparison I'm interested in the most is:

Original Doom 3 PC, no mods

vs.

Doom 3 BFG Edition PC

Never cared about texture conversions like Sikk mod and such. Just want to know if this is better than plain old DOOM 3.

A friend let me use his account. Screenshot comparison:

Settings, 1024x768 (because the original was 4:3 only without messing with the console), 4x AA, Motion Blur 32x on BFG.

As you can see the FOV has been changed.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/151919

edit: Included are 4 comparisons. For the first one actually it's the BFGand on-mouse-over it reverts to the original (the other 3 are the original and on-mouse-over it switches to BFG)

It's not much, but that's all there is for the time being. I have to say that I'm not a fan of the FoV decrease and the dramatic gamma/brightness increase.

Xander51

The options screens are pretty sparse, so unless I'm dumb and missed it, nope it's not there.

Also, the new flashlight is just kind of hilariously jammed through the shoulder of the character model when you look at him in a mirror. It looks like they spent all of 8 seconds adding it. It looks like the old 3D model for the flashlight, and the back end of it kind of juts out of the back of the guy.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I only played the old Xbox version of Doom 3 years ago. How different is this really outside of the extra missions?

It's actually the complete version of Doom 3. The XBOX version was modified pretty significantly from the PC game.

JaseC

Why is this only $30 on Steam?

$30 is the PC RRP, so I assume you meant to ask why it's $20, and the answer to that is current owners of Doom 3 get a 33% discount. The store page mentions you can save said amount if you buy the BFG Edition "now", which implies the offer is limited, but there's no indication of when it will end.

Edit: Beaten by seconds.

In fairness, your reply is much better written.

<3

Xander51

$30 is the PC RRP, so I assume you meant to ask why it's $20, and the answer to that is current owners of Doom 3 get a 33% discount. The store page mentions you can save said amount if you buy the BFG Edition "now", which implies the offer is limited, but there's no indication of when it will end.

Edit: Beaten by seconds.

In fairness, your reply is much better written.

Yeah. For the longest time they were saying the option will still be there, but recently Willits confirmed it's "better" with the new way, so you won't have the option anymore.

I hate when they remove options (especially when they have them working already!!)

Nizz

Yeah. For the longest time they were saying the option will still be there, but recently Willits confirmed it's "better" with the new way, so you won't have the option anymore.

I hate when they remove options (especially when they have them working already!!)
Aww man, I also remember them mentioning you would have the option to play the game the original way. Oh well.

I only got to play Doom 3 on the original X-Box and it was a fine port. But it's looking pretty good on PS3 at 60fps no less.

Would love to hear more impressions as more people pick this up on consoles. I'm particularly interested in PS3 impressions.

RedSwirl

Edit: Beaten by seconds./QUOTE]

No. I meant $30. Why is it $30 on PC (I don't already own DOOM 3 and never played it) but $40 on consoles?

This game was the Crysis 1 (Chug your PC) of it's day. Amazing how far we've come.

Maybe we'll have a 60fps port of Crysis 1 for next gen consoles.

Why stop at Crysis 1? Why not all three games? And instead of 60fps they'd probably go for having all the graphical features finally enabled on console.

JaseC

No. I meant $30. Why is it $30 on PC (I don't already own DOOM 3 and never played it) but $40 on consoles?

Because PC games are generally $10 cheaper than their console counterparts. New-release PC games being $60 (Edit: err, I mean priced identically to console games) is a relatively recent phenomenon.

antitrop

Because PC games are generally $10 cheaper than their console counterparts. New-release PC games being $60 (Edit: err, I mean priced identically to console games) is a recent phenomenon.
Within the last several years. Not really all that recent, but certainly more recent than consoles.

Top Bottom