• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom 3 BFG edition. Anyone excited for this?

antitrop

What makes you think they reduced the texture quality?
Playing the game. Doom 3: BFG has better textures than the Doom 3 on OG Xbox (although some people say that still look betters, I never played it, I have no opinion), but worse textures than Doom 3 original on PC.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Playing the game. Doom 3: BFG has better textures than the Doom 3 on OG Xbox (although some people say that still look betters, I never played it, I have no opinion), but worse textures than Doom 3 original on PC.
I don't really think that's true, but I'll have to examine more closely before making that call.

The textures all appear to be 100% identical. The only thing we are uncertain of is the level of compression used. The resolution, however, is exactly the same.

Honestly, I feel as if you've simply forgotten what the original textures actually looked like.

antitrop

Honestly, I feel as if you've simply forgotten what the original textures actually looked like.
Entirely possible. I have both Doom 3(unmodded) and Doom 3: BFG installed on my PC right now. I wouldn't mind taking some comparison screenshots of the early game after I get home from class later this afternoon.

It could just be my memory fucking with me, but Doom 3: BFG looks really, really bad on PC at times.

What makes you think they reduced the texture quality?

In this case, sure, but what other examples of "downgraded PC bullshit" have you seen as of late?
apparently textures are the same size, but are using more texture compression than playing the original version on Ultra quality settings. i forget who said this, but it was someone in this thread earlier.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Entirely possible. I have both Doom 3(unmodded) and Doom 3: BFG installed on my PC right now. I wouldn't mind taking some comparison screenshots of the early game after I get home from class later this afternoon.

It could just be my memory fucking with me, but Doom 3: BFG looks really, really bad on PC at times.

From the screen shots I've seen they look the same. The added blur effect looks better. And not forgetting your getting native 360 controller support and widescreen. It's a lot better package in total.

RedSwirl

I've only played an hour and a half of this, and have never played DOOM 3 before this, but man, Yahtzee was right when he said "DOOM 3 tripped and hit its head in the dark and forgot that it wasn't System Shock."

I only very recently played DOOM 1 and 2 for the first time on PC and they still felt like really fun, fast, smooth shooters. The same goes for RAGE (the first id game I ever played). DOOM 3 so far feels like an okay (but still smooth) shooter that is also trying to be a first person adventure game.

Do the controls feel smoother and faster on PC? I tried out the XBLA DOOM 1 in this for a bit and it definitely felt slower than ZDoom.

Doom 3: BFG looks worse on PC than the original Doom 3 even un-modded. They reduced the shadows and textures from the original in order to get it to run at 60fps on consoles and then released that gimped version on PC for no reason.

Complete rip-off.

I agree. They even took out some textures.

That´s the beginning

missingscene.jpg

The texture right isn`t there in the BFG edition and the texture looks sharper than anything i have seen so far. (playing 360 version; no tearing)

apparently textures are the same size, but are using more texture compression than playing the original version on Ultra quality settings. i forget who said this, but it was someone in this thread earlier.

Me. :D

Bethesda said it themselves. On original Doom 3 you could use the uncompressed textures, in this they released only the compressed.

Waaghals

Me. :D

Bethesda said it themselves. On original Doom 3 you could use the uncompressed textures, in this they released only the compressed.

I remeber when the game came out and I heard that they recommended 512mb vram for ultra settings.

It blew my mind, I had 64 megs at the time. In fact, i'm not sure if there were any cards with 512mb memory back then.

Reiko

Banned
I remeber when the game came out and I heard that they recommended 512mb vram for ultra settings.

It blew my mind, I had 64 megs at the time. In fact, i'm not sure if there were any cards with 512mb memory back then.

Heh... But the game was 800x600 back then...

Do the controls feel smoother and faster on PC? I tried out the XBLA DOOM 1 in this for a bit and it definitely felt slower than ZDoom.

The controls are weird on the XBLA versions. Holding the left trigger (to run) also increases your left/right turn speed. The turn speed feels really slow if you're not holding run, and there is no adjustment available for it. There's also no toggle for runmode. You just have to hold the left trigger the whole time if you want to run all the time.

It's the same way in the XBLA version of Wolfenstein 3D.

RobbieNick

Okay, I'm sure this been asked a million times, but....

WHY THE HELL IS DOOM 1 AND 2 IN 4:3 AND 30 FPS?!!

4:3 I might understand but 30 fps when Doom 3 is 60 fps?! Makes no sense.

Reiko

Banned
Okay, I'm sure this been asked a million times, but....

WHY THE HELL IS DOOM 1 AND 2 IN 4:3 AND 30 FPS?!!

4:3 I might understand but 30 fps when Doom 3 is 60 fps?! Makes no sense.

1.) Laziness. The game was designed with 4:3 in mind. It looks funny stretched to 16:9.

2.) 35fps actually... The original game framerate.

Raptomex

1.) Laziness. The game was designed with 4:3 in mind. It looks funny stretched to 16:9.

2.) 35fps actually... The original game framerate.
Unless you care about achievements I would recommend using any other source ports to run any of the original Doom games. Widescreen is supported, the framerate is higher (especially on ZDoom/GZDoom) and they're just better than the original overall.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Why did they even release this on the PC?

Man, with RAGE and now this, id really cannot be considered a competent PC developer anymore. How the mighty have fallen, indeed.

dark10x

Man, my Sikkmod install is messed up.

It can drop to 30 fps from 60 simply by going into the menu. When you load a save it will either be 30 or 60 and there is no reason why this should be occurring. It's obviously not a performance limitation. Something is breaking it. :\

Man, my Sikkmod install is messed up.

It can drop to 30 fps from 60 simply by going into the menu. When you load a save it will either be 30 or 60 and there is no reason why this should be occurring. It's obviously not a performance limitation. Something is breaking it. :\

I have an incredible random experience with Sickmod. Sometimes the games runs at 40-60fps thorough, sometimes it barely exceeds 40 fps and stick to upper 20s/lower 30s.

4.8ghz 2500k
8gb 12800 @ 1833
GTX480 to 580 level
SSD

I use current drivers. Wish I could pin point this freaking variable.

Edit: Every time I change a setting, framerate goes back to good stuff. then I quit the game. Then I restart it and this is where it gets funky. It's like playing roulette.

Edit 2: Fuck this, I'm reinstalling the whole thing.

dark10x

Also, the shadows cast by the flashlight in OG Doom 3? Yeah, they look fucking awful. It just looks as if there is some sort of extension of the object rather than a real projected shadow (even if that's what they were).

antitrop

From the screen shots I've seen they look the same. The added blur effect looks better. And not forgetting your getting native 360 controller support and widescreen. It's a lot better package in total.
No absolutely not. You have to be careful saying such lies because someone might accidentally see your post and buy the game.

As has been made clear throughout this thread, if you're on PC and don't really, really want 3D support, the original Doom 3 with mods is the best way to play the game and it's $10 cheaper than BFG.

dark10x

No absolutely not. You have to be careful saying such lies because someone might accidentally see your post and buy the game.

As has been made clear throughout this thread, if you're on PC and don't really, really want 3D support, the original Doom 3 with mods is the best way to play the game and it's $10 cheaper than BFG.
You were wrong about the textures, though. They were not downgraded.

The compression thing you read? Yeah, makes no real visible difference after comparing them side by side.

Still, Doom 3 + Sikkmod is still the best way to experience it. It's just a shame it's broken on my system with the latest drivers. :\

antitrop

You were wrong about the textures, though. They were not downgraded.

The compression thing you read? Yeah, makes no real visible difference after comparing them side by side.

Still, Doom 3 + Sikkmod is still the best way to experience it. It's just a shame it's broken on my system with the latest drivers. :\
So I was wrong about the textures, that was just a guess anyway.
Either way Doom 3: BFG looks worse than un-modded Doom 3, and that's what matters. And the fact that Doom 3: BFG doesn't support the modding makes it irrelevant to all but those looking to waste $30.

A disclaimer to stay away from Doom 3: BFG on PC cannot be made large enough. Everyone needs to know that BFG is the inferior version in almost every way possible.

Raptomex

So I was wrong about the textures, that was just a guess anyway.

Either way Doom 3: BFG looks worse than un-modded Doom 3, and that's what matters. And the fact that Doom 3: BFG doesn't support the modding makes it irrelevant to all but those looking to waste $30.
Has that been confirmed? Doesn't really matter to me I have both versions but if that's true I guess it sucks.

Xander51

Also, the shadows cast by the flashlight in OG Doom 3? Yeah, they look fucking awful. It just looks as if there is some sort of extension of the object rather than a real projected shadow (even if that's what they were).

They do tend to look weird, that's for sure.

In fairness to Doom 3 BFG, at least it does still have proper shadows from other light sources.

I'm almost at the end of the main campaign now. Playing it now it feels like the game almost peaks too early. The last few levels are a total grind.

Raptomex

Is anybody really going to take the time? Seriously? Maybe they could, but I sure wouldn't count on it.
The Doom modding community is pretty big so I guess there's hope.

Anyway, speaking of Sikkmod, I installed it yesterday and put the Wulfen textures (PK4 file) in the folder and I don't think they're appearing. Also, does the Sikkmod allow for 16:10 resolutions?

Edit: I guess I'll have to edit my config file(s) for resolutions. I'm new to Doom 3 modding.

One thing i'd like to know about Sikkmod is how they managed to get FXAA support into an OpenGL game... forcing via Nvidia control panel also seems to work in Doom 3 (non-BFG).. hmm

Really? It didn't support 1024x768? That was the max resolution of the monitor I had in 2004.

Eight years is a long time, though, I don't remember specifics like that.

Doom 3 supported up to 1280x1024 from the graphic options menu day one. I'm sure people was able to go even further using the config file.

StuBurns

Banned
The thread moves so fast, and the OP hasn't been updated as if it were an OT. What was the final word on the D1/2 ports on the consoles? The 360 version is the XBLA games? Were they actually running at 35fps? What about the PS3 ones?

And D3, the PS3 one tears, the 360 doesn't?

NBtoaster

One thing i'd like to know about Sikkmod is how they managed to get FXAA support into an OpenGL game... forcing via Nvidia control panel also seems to work in Doom 3 (non-BFG).. hmm

It's just the injector that doesn't work in OpenGL, because it's a d3d9.dll. The concepts of FXAA can easily be applied with OpenGL functions.

Top Bottom