• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom 3 BFG edition. Anyone excited for this?

Fantasmo

Fuck this game. Im up to the part where you have there are 4 teleporters allocated to each level. I just keep going around in circles. its so tedious!

anyone help?
One of the teleport computers has the option for "Pad 1, exit" ;)
(I played that part right before bed last night, easy to miss). Oh and uh save your game after you teleport ;)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yes. Also in response to earlier posts by other posters Doom 3 was way ahead of its time and is far better than Halo ever was in both gameplay and presentation.
Bullshit.

I love absolutely both but that is an ignorant statement no doubt based on an anti-console bias. Halo is a brilliant game.

Fantasmo

So is Doom 3 original really a better buy than Doom 3 BFG on PC? That's kind of terrible.
Its a tweaked action version of the original for 2012 gamers. The original version hasn't become unavailable and the prices are nearly the same. BFG edition is only $5 more compared to Steam (Doom 3 & ROE pack is $25).

I waited and I'm glad I did lol, but then I'm in the minority that adored the original.

Console versions are the stars here.

hlhbk

I say this as a owner of all consoles, and a gaming PC that owns all of the Halo games. Halo is great, but it can't touch Doom 3. In gameplay, aphmosphere, and Story Doom 3 is in a completely different league than Halo.

dark10x

I say this as a owner of all consoles, and a gaming PC that owns all of the Halo games. Halo is great, but it can't touch Doom 3. In gameplay, aphmosphere, and Story Doom 3 is in a completely different league than Halo.
We're simply going to have to disagree then.

I think they are both incredible games.

TEH-CJ

Banned

wat. really?

can you tell me in detail, what makes doom 3 so much better than halo. please elaborate.

triggaz

Banned

..........Amazing.

No Im just giving an example.

halo came out in 2001 did it not? doom 3 came out in 2004, so therefore it should theoretically play alot better as well, but it doesn't. it was dated the day it came out. rigid animations and horrible gun-play. the models are some of the worst I have ever seen. altho the bfg edition shines with some nice atmospheric lighting and some decent shadders. but thats about it really.

Okay, but visually Doom 3 destroys Halo 1.

GreekWolf

I've never been a Halo fan (although, I did enjoy the first game), as the universe and mythos just seem a bit silly to me. However, I will readily admit it's a top-tier and incredibly well-made franchise. I don't see how anyone could realistically argue otherwise.

Of course, I also happen to think Doom 3 remains as one of the greatest first-person shooters ever made, so what do I know?

dark10x

I think Crysis used shaders really well and I have been impressed by some PS3 exclusive games as well. For example, Killzone 2 has the best shiny metal shader I have ever seen.
Oh yes, those made great user of shaders but neither of them offer shadders.

Oh yes, those made great user of shaders but neither of them offer shadders.

what's a shadder? The site you linked to doesn't load, so I don't get the joke.

Atmosphere, graphics, style, shooting mechanics (controls), enemy design, sound design. To me Halo is a medicore shooter at best.

unbelievable....Halo CE is one of the best FPS's I have played, while Doom 3 was one of the worst. The game was super linear, totally scripted, had a stupid story, zero atmosphere.....I can't comprehend your statement.

Fantasmo

what's a shadder? The site you linked to doesn't load, so I don't get the joke.
Shadders man, duh.
42.jpg

Sysgen

Bullshit.

I love absolutely both but that is an ignorant statement no doubt based on an anti-console bias. Halo is a brilliant game.

Agreed. I can replay any version of Halo infinitely. Doom 3 I could not make it through my second play through and I never got to the expansion. The word that comes to mind is monotonous.

StuBurns

Banned
Rage only looked great in the context of it's landscape stuff, the moment to moment for me was mostly really ugly.

Carmack did say they'd target 30fps for Doom 4 on consoles though, so they could do a lot more.

jett

D-Member
Rage had its moments, but there were many places where it was hands down one of the ugliest games I've laid my eyes upon. The amount of macroblocking on the textures is something that I had never seen before in a game. The megatexture technology might have been ahead of its time, but unfortunately the executed result isn't.

And I'm never gonna forget how it ran like ass on ATI cards for the longest time, full of graphical bugs. Great game for me, but immensely disappointed on a technical level, especially considering this is an id game.

The leaked pics of Doom 4 look like Rage 2. Doesn't look great to me.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Finally bought it for PC. Some quick impressions.

It sure is nice playing this game at 1080p with 4xAA in widescreen at a solid 60fps with a wireless xbox 360 controller. It feels very solid and I think for a 2004 game, the graphics hold up very well.

The environments are great and the audio atmosphere generated is still foreboding and scary this many years on. It really needs to be played in the dark with a good 5.1 system with bass bins to get the full effect. The sound pumping though my Onkyo amp is incredible.

I also tried it on my H5360 3D projector/3D vision on a 100inch screen. The stereoscopic 3D is one of the best implementations of any fps. There is no ghosting or any other issue. It plays a rock solid 60fps and is deep and immersive.
It really is something when one of the imps tosses a fireball at you and you can judge exactly when to dodge out of the way. Fantastic.

If you've got a decent 3D setup I can't recommend it enough.

And finally. The gameplay feels very tight. The shotgun is awesome. I'm loving it. I don't know about the Halo comparisons. Both are great.

dark10x

Rage only looked great in the context of it's landscape stuff, the moment to moment for me was mostly really ugly.

Carmack did say they'd target 30fps for Doom 4 on consoles though, so they could do a lot more.
Really? I loved their focus on the scene as a whole as opposed to just tiling textures everywhere. It had a really unique look.

The indoor stuff still looks good, though, I think. They can definitely further improve it, no doubt, but the technology to do so isn't really there yet.

takehimtothekillroom.jpg

idtech.jpg

justicedepartment.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
The floor in that first shot is what it looks like most the time, some super low poly mess with blocky textures all over it. At it's best, it looks good, most the time, I think Doom 3 looks better.

Finally bought it for PC. Some quick impressions.

It sure is nice playing this game at 1080p with 4xAA in widescreen at a solid 60fps with a wireless xbox 360 controller. It feels very solid and I think for a 2004 game, the graphics hold up very well.

The environments are great and the audio atmosphere generated is still foreboding and scary this many years on. It really needs to be played in the dark with a good 5.1 system with bass bins to get the full effect. The sound pumping though my Onkyo amp is incredible.

I also tried it on my H5360 3D projector/3D vision on a 100inch screen. The stereoscopic 3D is one of the best implementations of any fps. There is no ghosting or any other issue. It plays a rock solid 60fps and is deep and immersive.
It really is something when one of the imps tosses a fireball at you and you can judge exactly when to dodge out of the way. Fantastic.

If you've got a decent 3D setup I can't recommend it enough.

And finally. The gameplay feels very tight. The shotgun is awesome. I'm loving it. I don't know about the Halo comparisons. Both are great.

I feel it very important to restress that it is only something that should recommended if you have a 3D display that isn't susceptible to crosstalk. so, a good projector or a headset? sure. a 3DTV or a 3D monitor? if you've ever seen crosstalk on your display, you will see it all over the place in Doom 3. literally almost everywhere you look. hell, i'll be using it as an IQ benchmark on any 3D display i get going forwards. it is absolutely the worst case scenario for causing crosstalk.

I wish I could run doom3, it kept crashing to desktop on me. Steam-version. Is this a known issue or am I just lucky as usual?

stab in the dark, but the only crashing i experienced was when i was trying to run it on my Nvidia card, and my AMD card was not disabled. i'm figuring that isn't your problem, but if it is, disable your AMD card or run it on your AMD card.

I feel it very important to restress that it is only something that should recommended if you have a 3D display that isn't susceptible to crosstalk. so, a good projector or a headset? sure. a 3DTV or a 3D monitor? if you've ever seen crosstalk on your display, you will see it all over the place in Doom 3. literally almost everywhere you look. hell, i'll be using it as an IQ benchmark on any 3D display i get going forwards. it is absolutely the worst case scenario for causing crosstalk.

DOOM 3 is the only game I've seen cross-talk on with my monitor. Disappointing to say the least

dark10x

The floor in that first shot is what it looks like most the time, some super low poly mess with blocky textures all over it. At it's best, it looks good, most the time, I think Doom 3 looks better.
Hmm, so your eyes immediately look towards the floor?

I know I'm always focused on the scene as a whole, not the quality of an individual surface. I don't find games with flat surfaces full of super high-resolution textures impressive in the least, for instance. It's the sheer variety per scene in Rage that really impresses me.

While simply playing the game, the effect works great. It's only when you stop and look more closely at surfaces does it begin to suffer.

omonimo

Banned
Rare? I've had the chance to play quite a bit on PS3 (entire Alpha Labs) and from what I could tell tearing was almost guaranteed every time I was using the flash light. This just isn't comparable with the 360 version where tearing is next to completely absent thorough, flashlight on or of. Let's give credits where it's due. The 360 version handle this "tearing issue" much better.

I'd really love to see a professional comparison of the two versions, but I guess this won't happen.

Good to know. So I have a good eyes for tearing, I have noticed that in a lot of youtube walkthrough & the carnival of stupidity is started just because I have claimed that from a simple youtube videos. Probably is not that noticeable for all but not means there isn't & maybe someone could find it even intolerable.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

I have to say this is fair comment. It's a severe stress test on your 3D systems ability to display 3D with minimum to zero cross talk. A benchmark test indeed.

When it works it looks amazing though. Very deep and immersive.

Sullichin

I was so disappointed with the PS3 version of RAGE because while I really enjoyed the shooting, the constant texture pop in whenever I turned around was terribly distracting. I'd seriously see half loaded textures just as often as fully loaded ones. I'll probably get it again for PC eventually. I see the PS3 version recommended a lot which is strange to me.

I have to say this is fair comment. It's a severe stress test on your 3D systems ability to display 3D with minimum to zero cross talk. A benchmark test indeed.

When it works it looks amazing though. Very deep and immersive.

absolutely. it looks incredible on my HMZ. i can't wait to get my Oculus in a couple of months! and yeah, i wish my house was configured to have a suitable space for a projector.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-whats-new-for-pc-doom-3-bfg-edition

The most immediately impactful differences are all about adjusting Doom 3 to better suit 16:9 HDTVs, and most dramatic of all is an enormous shift in the field of view. Run the BFG Edition in a 4:3 or 5:4 resolution and the worldview is much narrower than it is in the original game, to the extent that, when placed side by side with the 2004 release, the overall impression is that you're running about with the zoom button engaged. During gameplay, the original simply feels less confined and easier to play. Switch to a 16:9 resolution and you get the sense that the field of view is much improved, but, as the shots at the foot of the page demonstrate, it's still significantly narrower.

Next up, id has significantly cranked up the brightness - something we suspect was implemented to better suit living room conditions. Bolder, brighter, more colourful; some might say that the atmosphere of the original game has been compromised to better appeal to the console audience, but having played both back to back, there's definitely a sense that the older version was simply too dark in places. On the flipside, more care could have been put into the revised lighting: in some scenes, detail appears to disappear into white crush, bleached out by the cranked up illumination.

Elsewhere there are clear signs of improvement over the original game - revisions, perhaps better described as embellishments to the artwork, are clearly present that improve the look of the game's cast of characters in particular. We're not looking at a wholesale remastering of the game's visuals though. While they are more detail-rich, textures still appear to be optimised for a 480p-level presentation, but cut-scene close-ups stand up better to scrutiny, while revised skin shaders offer more depth and texture to the low-poly characters.

On the plus side, there's also the inclusion of what ranks as one of the best implementations of motion blur we've seen. Cranked up to the maximum 32x sampling, it works beautifully in concert with the 60 frames-per-second update. It's something that the comparison movie only fleetingly demonstrates, but in action it's superb, especially effective in smoothing out the micro-judder from the tiniest of mouse movements. We suspect that its inclusion is also instrumental in making the Oculus Rift VR headset support work well, although if ultra-smooth movement is your bag then going for the 120Hz mode is better still. Stereoscopic 3D also gets official support.

A fundamental revision to all three campaigns contained in the game, of course, is the implementation of the flashlight. In the original game you had to swap between the main view weapon and the flashlight, and couldn't hold both at once, leaving the player highly vulnerable. Now the torch is now firmly affixed to the player's shoulder and accessible at will. Weirdly though, it doesn't seem to cast shadows.

There's clearly some value here, but considering the studio's roots it is troubling that - aside from support for Carmack's VR pet project - there's so little love for the PC. In addition to that, there are a number of bugs and issues that have made their way into the launch code - surprising, after the Rage debacle - but thankfully the community appears to have cleaned most of them up.

That's somewhat ironic, because enthusiasts are not well served by this release at all, made to dig deep even for some essential functionality, while the introduction of idTech 5 elements into the game appears to have completely killed off mod support by adopting a new file format system incompatible with the older engine.

This opens up another debate entirely - whether mods for the existing game actually offer a better experience than the new BFG release. Load up the existing Sikkmod or Doom 3 Perfected in the original game, and many of the enhancements such as widescreen support are already included, along with support for higher levels of anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering than you'll find in the BFG Edition. There's even the inclusion of community-generated higher-resolution artwork, which is inevitably going to be compared to id's efforts. In a brand new official product that celebrates the heritage of the franchise, it's a shame that the work done by the community in enhancing Doom 3 is forgotten and, worse still, that modders are apparently locked out of the revised game.

+ motion blur
+ Oculus Rift support & 3D
+ some improved character skins

- lower FOV
- carelessly (over)brightened
- no flashlight shadows
- no MOD support
- nothing major was changed, it looks like it did 8 years ago (worse IMO, but that's me)

dark10x

Good to know. So I have a good eyes for tearing, I have noticed that in a lot of youtube walkthrough & the carnival of stupidity is started just because I have claimed that from a simple youtube videos. Probably is not that noticeable for all but not means there isn't & maybe someone could find it even intolerable.
No, my friend, you were WRONG. Tearing is extremely noticeable for me.

The introduction gameplay segments do not suffer from tearing. Period. We were discussing the video you posted.

Now, as you play further into the game, it does crop up more often, but it's definitely not constant by any means.

This originally stemmed from the fact that you were calling this a low quality, lazy port when that is far from the case.

Sullichin

Strange to me that they say 32x motion blur looks good. It just looks ridiculous to me. I lowered it to its lowest or second lowest setting.

thanks for the link Angular! going to read that right now.

DOOM 3 is the only game I've seen cross-talk on with my monitor. Disappointing to say the least

yeah, i'm sorry to hear that, but i'm not surprised either. i'm really not exagerating when i say it's the worst case scenario for crosstalk that i've ever seen.

omonimo

Banned
No, my friend, you were WRONG. Tearing is extremely noticeable for me.

The introduction gameplay segments do not suffer from tearing. Period. We were discussing the video you posted.

Now, as you play further into the game, it does crop up more often, but it's definitely not constant by any means.

This originally stemmed from the fact that you were calling this a low quality, lazy port when that is far from the case.

I don't understand why I'm not free to say this, when some users here are complained about the same thing on ps3 version, & they have the game. I continue to think is not that good ports. The game have to run equally on both platforms.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I have a Panasonic Viera from 2010 that is 3D capable. I love Doom 3 and what to play it through again on console in 3D. Which version, 360 or PS3, should I get?

ShopTo have it for £25, if that's any use?

Thinking about buying this on PS3... Does it have that awesome co-op mode from the original Xbox version?

I've just been in HMV and they've got it for £25. Surprised me as I was expecting them to jack it up to £30. Not sure if that's any use to you.

Are there are firm impressions of the PS3 version in here? I'm interested in the game at that price but not sure how the console versions have turned out next to some of these complaints about the PC build.

thank you both. I ended up going to hmv because I had some vouchers left from last christmas, so only cost me £14.99 which is perfect.

can't wait to play it.

Top Bottom