• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom comes to Xbox Live Arcade TODAY - 4 player co-op online. AVAILABLE NOW.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
someone get MS to put Dungeon Master 4 player co-op on XBLA! That would soooo freakin RAWK!:D

G-Fex

I bought it yesterday, first thing i've ever bought on x-box live arcade.

It so owns, it's so ****ing fun with a friend on co-op. Oh man the mazes the shotguns the accidental killings.

I need to get on x-box live!

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
SnakeXs said:
:lol

I'm trying not to be too blunt, but damn man, you're on a roll.
dmc4rollzn6.gif

it had to be done :/

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Laker, Lyte Edge, Mcwild and I had an awesome doom session last night

Playing levels on nightmare& death matches was a hoot

plus lyte and I cleared two campaigns on ultra violence

Best XBL arcade game yet!

LakeEarth

Laker is my new nickname, sweet.

It was a good time. It was funny cause I just turned on my 360, went to Doom to buy it, and it went straight from Doom has been purchased to DotheMario GA wants to play! So I joined, and it was laggy, but you guys are in Australia, China, and I'm in Canada. So it wasn't so bad considering. The Nightmare was fun, and yes the yellow key was just around the corner in the level we finally gave up on. Dammit :lol

Right now I'm single-playering on Ultra-Violence. Its a lot of fun. Easy to die quick but not too frustrating.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
LakeEarth said:
Laker is my new nickname, sweet.

It was a good time. It was funny cause I just turned on my 360, went to Doom to buy it, and it went straight from Doom has been purchased to DotheMario GA wants to play! So I joined, and it was laggy, but you guys are in Australia, China, and I'm in Canada. So it wasn't so bad considering. The Nightmare was fun, and yes the yellow key was just around the corner in the level we finally gave up on. Dammit :lol

If we knew how to navigate the maze we may have had a chance!

Yeah I don’t understand the lag issue, 4 people playing doom lag’s but four people playing COD2 is fine????

That said the lag is inconsistent, fine sometimes bad other times.

(im off 2 play)

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Yeah, the netcode is really iffy. I usually have rock solid connections, and with 1 friend it was skippy, like it was fine but hiccuped every few seconds, but that coulda been due to his school connection.

The one time I took a look at multiplayer there were 20 games, 18 were 1 red bar, 2 were all green, and then IN one of them the host was perfect, while the other 2 playeres were 1 red bar.

My connection's open and I've never had issues in the past, so I have a feeling it isn't me. =[

LakeEarth

Oh I knew it. I kept getting deep in the maze, being right around the corner to get to the key, when something would spawn behind me and kill me. That happened 3 times before I just gave up.

GhaleonEB

Nevermind, found the supergoddamntiny exit!

Episode 3: Level 6 - Mt. Erebus

I'm seriously stuck.

This is the level where you are on a large main island surrounded by lava. There are a few buildings on the island, and a few small ones out in the lava where guys come out of at certain trigger points. I've completely cleared out the level, and am stuck wandering around.

There is an area sunken down in the lava with a blue floor. I've gone through there via a hidden teleporter, gotten the chainsaw and the blue key card. But I've never found a door that needed a keycard to open it!

Also, in that blue area I can see a switch in a tiny walled off room with no roof, from above. But I can't get to it, it's too far to have my momentum get me into it. Do I need to go through there?

Anyone remember clearing out this level? HELP! It's been 45 minutes since I last saw an enemy. :(

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
woot i just cleared the last level of episode 4!

(all that’s left is ultra violence and 100 XBL kills (already over 50)

This game is better then most full priced 360 titles!

GhaleonEB: Try behind some of the buildings in the larva for a spot to use the blue key card (use a protection suit if there are any left)

Also look for hidden doors in the building which was full of zombies and has stairs its one big room (I think there were some secrets in that room)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
HOLY FLASHBACK BATMAN

I can't believe I'm seeing people asking for help in Doom again. I swear GAF turned into a BBS for a few seconds in front of my eyes.

What's really sad is last month I was cleaning out my file cabinet space of old strategy guides, and I pithced a couple of old Doom 1 and 2 guides I had laying in there for ages. I've been trying to clear out romm and make way for our newborn coming in December. Who the HELL would've thought I'd be needing them again to find some hard to remember secrets. This really messes up my "pack rat" mentality. Just when I FINALLY decide to throw some things away, I turn right around and need them again.

This is the ONLY reason I'm mad that id/Activision/Nerve kept this XBLA gem a secret. :lol

Ranger X

Been through the whole game last weekend.

IT'S AWESOME.

But it's not perfect at all... I realised 2 things:

- This game clearly isn't balanced at all for coop at Ultra Violence. It's simply impossible, not enough munition. Single player i kick the crap out of the whole game in a snap.

- HOLY SHIT the weapon change is slow. Too slow. This is the main flaw of that version imo. Even the SNES version was faster to change guns.

LakeEarth

I thought there would be a problem with co-op when you got to the Shores of Hell levels since they're mostly demons that don't drop ammo.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Jonnyram said:
I spent 10 minutes trying to find that last damned secret on the first level. I used to know all this shit 12/13 years ago. How embarrassing.

YES. God that was embarrassing.

Is there a way to change the map after a DM session in this Live version? Sucks to have a really good group of people and have to lose them all when your tired of the same map.

FightyF

Banned
Space A Cobra said:
Is there a way to change the map after a DM session in this Live version? Sucks to have a really good group of people and have to lose them all when your tired of the same map.

Not that I know of.

Also, I prefer DOOM 2's maps for DM. I would LOVE custom WAD support but that's prolly too much to ask for :p

I haven't played online yet. I went on once, and I was all greens and everyone else was 1 bar Reds.

LakeEarth

Andonuts said:
So has anyone tried doing coop on nightmare difficulty yet?
Yup, its mentioned above. Its very hard and we couldn't make it past the 5th level, although we were so close. Basically when someone gets a key, everyone has that key, but if the person who got the key dies, you lose it, so you keep having to make up ground.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
LakeEarth said:
Yup, its mentioned above. Its very hard and we couldn't make it past the 5th level, although we were so close. Basically when someone gets a key, everyone has that key, but if the person who got the key dies, you lose it, so you keep having to make up ground.

Lol I remember permanently standing on one of the keys and defending it from shotgun zombies so you guys could make progress.

Great times, we need 2 do it again!

BenT

GhaleonEB said:
Episode 3: Level 6 - Mt. Erebus

---

Also, in that blue area I can see a switch in a tiny walled off room with no roof, from above. But I can't get to it, it's too far to have my momentum get me into it. Do I need to go through there?
You've just hit upon id's first "rocket jump." Turn your back to the target area and fire a rocket into the wall that you're now facing as you throttle backwards. Done properly the added momentum from the rocket you just ate will send you into the little cubby. And the switch there takes you to E3M9, the episode's secret level.

LakeEarth said:
I thought there would be a problem with co-op when you got to the Shores of Hell levels since they're mostly demons that don't drop ammo.
You noobs. :) There's typically plenty of ammo in Doom, except perhaps in Nightmare (which I never played properly in coop to test). Just chainsaw or berserk pink demons / spectres, lost souls, and sometimes cacodemons. Don't miss much when you do shoot, either, and don't make long-distance shotgun shots that won't unload fully into the target. Ammo conservation is a skill just like dodging projectiles.

Andonuts

Do The Mario said:
Lol I remember permanently standing on one of the keys and defending it from shotgun zombies so you guys could make progress.

Great times, we need 2 do it again!

Yeah, I had a similar experience.

That shit's really hard but it's also fun as hell.

GhaleonEB

This game really brings back memories. I used to play this on an old 386 - underpowered even back when DOOM came out - up too late, eating junk food, getting freaked out. :lol

And here I am, over a decade later, up until 3am the other day plowing through - actually, crawling through - Thy Flesh Consumed. What a wicked goddamn set of levels, especially the first several, where everyhthing is cramped and you've got guys spawning all around you. Insane stuff. I never played the last two expansions - Inferno and Thy Flesh Consumed - so it was a real treat doing it on a controller the first time. What a great goddamn game. Sooooo fun.

Best $10 I've spent in a long time.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Is the friends leaderboard ****ed up? I have a score 3 times that of the first place friend on my leaderboard (Lyte Edge), but I`m in third, under two people with lower scores than myself.

Wtf is going on?

GhaleonEB

TheTrin said:
Is the friends leaderboard ****ed up? I have a score 3 times that of the first place friend on my leaderboard (Lyte Edge), but I`m in third, under two people with lower scores than myself.

Wtf is going on?
Apparantly it's reversed - higher scores on the bottom, lower on top. I'd expect a patch soon. :lol

BenT

LakeEarth said:
Chainsawing doesn't work when there's 10 things surrounding you at once.
You shouldn't put yourself in a situation like that. Funnel them through a choke point, or in a worst case herd, isolate, hit and run. It works fine. It's also actually very hard for the pink demons and spectres to hit you if you keep twitching a bit every second or so. It's something you get a feel for. Good players can take out entire armies of 'em with the unberserked fist. That's a bit boring, of course.

Oh yeah, imps are chainsaw fodder too. They're a bit better at nailing you up close, though.

Top Bottom