• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom comes to Xbox Live Arcade TODAY - 4 player co-op online. AVAILABLE NOW.

mollipen

m0dus said:
DOES...NOT...COMPUTE...! :)

Like I said, that isn't against Doom and its surprise launch... I like surprise launches. It's the "well, gee, that's great, but what about all of the games we've been promised that still haven't shown up" factor.

adelante

What coincidence..just listened to KOXM podcast yesterday where Ryan begged for a Doom port on XBLA (old episode I know, had my mp3 player "shuffled")...this is by far the best download on arcade and well worth every single MS point!!!

Safe Bet

Banned
The game controls very well with the 360 controller, imo..

Played a complete game via co-op. Went too fast. :(

I've had some lag so far. Hope it get's better...

So this is basically what was on those certain editions of Doom 3 but now as a standalone product, right?

Can you still resize the screens?

and does 2 player still split into little boxes?

I saw some people asking so here is the list of all the achievments possible:

NEOPHYTE
Complete any level

EPISODE ONE
Complete Episode 1 on 'Hurt Me Plenty' or higher

EPISODE TWO
Complete Episode 2 on 'Hurt Me Plenty' or higher

EPISODE THREE
Complete Episode 3 on 'Hurt Me Plenty' or higher

EPISODE FOUR
Complete Episode 4 on 'Hurt Me Plenty' or higher

RAMPAGE
Complete all levels on UltraViolent mode

NIGHTMARE
Win a Nightmare level in single player

ROOKIE
Get 50 kills on Xbox Live

DESTROYER
Get 100 kills on Xbox Live

SCOUT
Find a secret area of a map

HOARDER
Find all items in level

CLEAN SLATE
Kill all monsters in level on 'Hurt Me Plenty' or higher

--

LakeEarth

ntb825 said:
Oh and the achievements are somewhat easy to get. You get one for finishing a level on nightmare, which is easy as pie for us Doom PC vets. You get one for killing all enemies on Hurt Me Plenty, one for completing a level ( :lol ), one for finding any secret in any level, one for finding all the items in a level, one for completing each episode, one for 50 kills in MP and one for 100. I think that's all..
You missed the only 'hard' one, beat every level (including secret) on Ultra-Violence. But the achievements are dumb. In fact, it is possible to get 5 of the achievements in 5 minutes on the first stage alone.

joaomgcd

jiji said:
The original engine is locked to 30fps. I'd imagine they didn't change that.

Oh. :( It's just that I played the Xbox 1 port before, and that was at a silky smooth 60fps, and it looked really great. This looks a bit worse in comparsion.

I tried doing a co-op game with my friend across the country(I'm in CA He's in IL) but it was unplayable. This is the only Live game I've had against this guy that was unplayable due to lag. Doesn't help that I've had no problem doing this kind of thing in the past on a 14.4kbps modem. I'm hoping Live is just slow from people d/ling TGS stuff...

hyp

just thought i'd pop my head in and say "this game ****in rocks." a couple gaffers probably got my XBL message stating the same thing. :) this plays so well with the 360 controller that my old doom experiences w/ k&b seems obsolete. i haven't played online yet, but everything about the old doom experience is intact. and it's good to know that all the episodes are included. this release has made my day that much better.

Mar

DoctorWho said:
Fix your Sound Blaster!

Oh, those were the days...:lol

Haha. Ahh that brings back memories.

I don't own a 360 yet. But Microsoft keep delivering the XBLA content that I just have to have. DOOM is just another in a long list of things that is edging my credit card out of my wallet. Damn you Microsoft, damn you to hell!

VALIS

Just played a couple levels and I'm surprised how much fun I had considering I probably finished the game 20 times in my life. Old school goodness never wears out, I guess.

LakeEarth

VALIS said:
Just played a couple levels and I'm surprised how much fun I had considering I probably finished the game 20 times in my life. Old school goodness never wears out, I guess.
The wonders of nostalgia. Doom is awesome, but no matter what, the things that you loved when you were 8-13 will always be awesome. Its really a crazy effect when you think about it. When we're 60, we'll still love those things.

Angelus said:
So is this game 4 player death match or (crosses fingers)...4 player coop.?
Its in the title of the thread.

I must've played this game inside and out, knowing every secret when I was a teenager, and I'm finding that playing it on my 360 is awesome, but I'm also getting dizzy playing it. :lol

This could be awesome for Live Arcade getting all those old-school FPS's on here. Duke 3D, Quake, Rise of the Triad, hell Marathon and Marthon 2... make it so.

Nice surprise for Microsoft for this one. Still... Lumines c'mon... :)

_Angelus_

Banned
LakeEarth said:
The wonders of nostalgia. Doom is awesome, but no matter what, the things that you loved when you were 8-13 will always be awesome. Its really a crazy effect when you think about it. When we're 60, we'll still love those things.

Its in the title of the thread.

Didn't see it but thank you guys for the confirmation.

This is awesome news though. I know my buds will now pick this up with the addition of the 4 player coop, mode. Its gonna be like the old days all over again.

Ravager61

I played the SHIT out of this game when I was younger. Im really happy to see this get released. These old FPSs are the perfect live arcade games imo. They work well for single player and multiplayer. I really hope we get more of them in the future.

datamage

IDKFA

Heh, I remember coming up with the perfect init string for my US Robotics modem back in the day. (Would connect flawlessly every time) Might give this a whirl for some DM.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Sho Nuff said:
I GET BERSERKER PATCH AND PUNCH U AND U EXPLODE!!!

YOU ARE HUGE!!! THAT MEANS YOU MUST HAVE HUGE GUTS!

RIP AND TEAR, RIP AND TEAR!
:lol :lol :lol

Why the hell did I buy this? I'm buying shit on XBLA I've got no business spending money on. Time Pilot, Scramble, now Doom. Good lord.

Microtransactions? I'm the problem. Right here.

Sho Nuff

Banned
ripandtearvm2.jpg

LakeEarth

I'm gonna buy it just for the fact that I never actually BOUGHT the first Doom. :lol In fact I have the first Doom on my PC right now with a Doomsday mod.... so I bought the 360 version just so I can say I gave Id my money.

GhaleonEB

Just plowed through a couple of levels. Not on Live, not really exploring, just running around shooting stuff.

It's DOOM, and it still rocks. I bought the full version without even downloading the demo. :lol

The controls are spot-on and feel more natural than I thought they would. What a treat today. :)

Beezy

Ugh, Doom and Wolfenstein 3D both give me motion sickness like no other. I felt sick just from reading the thread title. :(

FightyF

Banned
HOMINA HOMINA HOMINA

The thought of Duke Nukem and Marathon joining the fray has me panting, but for now I'll grap DOOM and give 'er a shot. Unfortunately my Live downloads have been real sketchy lately, took my 20 tries to get Sonic (started trying last night, got it 2 hours ago :p).

I can agree with people's reasoning not to pick this up. I do wish there was support for custom WADs, heck, I know I'm not the only one here with a WAD editor still on their PC. :)

But I'll gladly pay for this...it's classic gaming that I can relive over the Internet. I used to play DOOM back in the day over my 14.4kpbs modem against local gamers, or at our so called LAN parties...playing on my couch against people all over North America is an experience I look forward to.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
silly question but can you look up and down in doom? Also how are the sound effects? 5.1 surround?

isamu said:
silly question but can you look up and down in doom? Also how are the sound effects? 5.1 surround?

can't look up and down, but 5.1 is there :)

...only played for 5 minutes (trial version) and the controls felt great

mikeGFG

Banned
This is the first time I've bought Doom, but I must've beat the shareware version at least 50 times. :lol

...pssst, General Mills Cereals: put Chex Quest on XBLA :)

cedric69

Paying twice for the same thing is a no go for me. And I fear we're only at the beginning for this kind of things. Check the Zune situation with Plays for Sure incompatibility... that's the shape of things to come, I'm afraid. :(

GhaleonEB

wait - is the battle with the two demons the end of the game? I thought there were two more overworlds and two more bosses? I have not seen a cacodemon or those fire-headed guys yet. I never played Doom II on the PC so they had to have been in the original. Were they some kind of expansion not included here?

Top Bottom